Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

PantsBandit posted:

There really does need to be some service like Netflix where you can rent digital copies of games for a set period of time. I understand that that is what Sony wants to start doing but I just don't think the streaming service is going to ever work without a hitch, at least not for people that don't have incredible internet service. A better alternative would be letting people rent a game, download the full file, then somehow lock them out of it when the rental period is over. Seems like the kind of thing that companies just assume wouldn't work for one reason or another and so they don't put any effort into making it work.

I think this is actually coming. Current gen "rentals" digitally. The tech is already in place. (PS3 had "timed demos" locked at like an hour for Plus people. No reason they can't change it to a date/time specification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Just to double-check, the PS4 controller uses micro-USB, right? I'm planning to buy one for use as a computer peripheral.

vv: Thanks.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 17, 2014

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Elysiume posted:

Just to double-check, the PS4 controller uses micro-USB, right? I'm planning to buy one for use as a computer peripheral.

Yes

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sony is working on/testing rental options through the PSN store. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later and the prices aren't ridiculous.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

There really does need to be some service like Netflix where you can rent digital copies of games for a set period of time. I understand that that is what Sony wants to start doing but I just don't think the streaming service is going to ever work without a hitch, at least not for people that don't have incredible internet service. A better alternative would be letting people rent a game, download the full file, then somehow lock them out of it when the rental period is over. Seems like the kind of thing that companies just assume wouldn't work for one reason or another and so they don't put any effort into making it work.

The PS3 has everything it needs on a technical level to do this, in a method that can't even be effectively hacked.

The PS3 (and I'm assuming the PS4) when you download something with a PS+ membership, it asks the server "how many seconds from now does this expire?" and issues you a time-limited license based on that, using a special internal timer in the console. This timer survives any loving with the time/date.

It's just the will.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Harlock posted:

Sony is working on/testing rental options through the PSN store. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later and the prices aren't ridiculous.

The leaked screenshot suggested you can rent games for 1, 7 or 30 days, although the price was just listed as 'free', which is obviously just a placeholder.

I would hope the prices would be something like $2/1 day, $10/7 Days and $25 for 30 days although I think that would probably be optimistic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One hopes prices wouldn't be outrageous for digital rentals, but let's face it, digital rentals aren't being developed for any benevolent reason to fill a gap or need for users.
It's another revenue stream for publishers and developers and Sony.

It would be nice if it's a rate we can stomach, but I figure it's gotta be something that still lines all the appropriate pockets else why cannibalize digital and hard copy full-retail sales.

Alternatively, Sony wants a slice of the pie (or the whole pie,) that places like Gamefly presently "own" and goes aggressive with pricing to kill that market. But I find that far less likely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the truth posted:

Is NFS: Rivals still active online? I remember that it seemed like the kind of game that was best played with a large userbase. Looks like the kind of game I'd buy for around $30, so I don't know if I should try to find a deal on it used or wait a few more months for the price to go down.

I almost always have a full room of players every time I play.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I said come in! posted:

I really want to get through Assassins Creed IV, but the single player is so frustrating. The missions where you trail behind someone, really suck for me. I am not good at them.

There are fewer of them than in AC3, but still too many. I found most of them can be cheesed either by hiring dancers (or whatever they called the courtesans in this iteration) and just standing in the middle of the street blended with them or by taking to the roofs. Once you have the poison darts the roofs tends to be fairly easy because you can just knock out any rooftop sentries from a distance. There are a couple that take place in the wilderness, but in most cases there is an obvious route you are supposed to take from bush to bush.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The PS4's play while you download system seems like it would handle this really well. It was a bit silly having to probably download over 10GB to play a game for an hour on the PS3, but at least you could keep your save file for the full game, or buy it online and keep playing.

Having PS+ let you play every game in the rental catalogue for one hour and then be locked out, but it should be possible to rent it for a specific time period instead, such as three days or a week. Since it would be possible to complete a game over this time period, they probably wouldn't let you rent games near launch so they can get as many full price purchases as possible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spalec posted:

The leaked screenshot suggested you can rent games for 1, 7 or 30 days, although the price was just listed as 'free', which is obviously just a placeholder.

I would hope the prices would be something like $2/1 day, $10/7 Days and $25 for 30 days although I think that would probably be optimistic.

I can say for sure that if it was priced like this I would be willing to throw a few bucks at a lot of games I'm on the fence about, that wouldn't have gotten any of my money otherwise.

Hopefully they include an option to buy that subtracts the cost of the rental if you decide to purchase it too.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Edit: Well, looks like it's already fixed :( Hopefully a few people managed to snag it.

Malt fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 18, 2014

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Feenix posted:

One hopes prices wouldn't be outrageous for digital rentals, but let's face it, digital rentals aren't being developed for any benevolent reason to fill a gap or need for users.
It's another revenue stream for publishers and developers and Sony.

It would be nice if it's a rate we can stomach, but I figure it's gotta be something that still lines all the appropriate pockets else why cannibalize digital and hard copy full-retail sales.

Alternatively, Sony wants a slice of the pie (or the whole pie,) that places like Gamefly presently "own" and goes aggressive with pricing to kill that market. But I find that far less likely.

Well, I mean, PS+ doesn't exist for any benevolent reason and it's a pretty good deal. I have high hopes. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Lorne Lanning says Oddworld New and Tasty will most likely be priced at $30, and needs 250K sales for an Abe's Exoddus remake.

Interesting for him to straight up state what sales are needed.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Do we know if this is a straight up remake so it has the same level design with new graphics or is it going to change stuff more like the Resident Evil Gamecube remake?

I'm excited either way, I loved both the original games. There's not a more specific release date then 'spring' is there?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So I hopped on the PS4 after work today and noticed some odd "tearing" artifacts on my screen- almost like VSync-disabled tearing on a PC - in two bands, one about 1/5 from the top of the screen, and one about 1/5 from the bottom. I thought it might be related to overheating (my PS4 was up to that point atop my A/V receiver, which I noticed was rather hot at the time), so I moved my PS4 to another shelf and the problem has gone away.

Was I right to suspect heat issues, or is this a known "welp, best get ready to RMA" issue?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheQat posted:

What time Eastern US will GZ be available?

It's up now!
$29.99, 3.6 GB

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Pro-tip for Ground Zeroes buyers: store is still updating, but it IS available to buy and download on the PS4 without need of the webstore. Just go to Games -> New Games -> scroll through tiles of Dead Nation etc. -> All New Games and it'll be right there. The other places its listed in have yet to be updated with more than just the listing itself (i.e., you can't go to Games -> All Games and buy it.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Maybe I'm unfairly conditioned to the typical indie $10-$15 model but that seems a tad much, even if it's a longer game than many of those games. I was expecting $10 less.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oddworld was amazing, but that does seem pretty steep. I don't think I'd pay $30 for a remake of a PSX game I've already played multiple times..

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You guys are going to want to play Ground Zeroes. It really looks and feels next gen. I can only imagine what The Phantom Pain is going to be like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You guys are going to want to play Ground Zeroes. It really looks and feels next gen. I can only imagine what The Phantom Pain is going to be like.

Does it feel like more than 2 hours of entertainment? That's my biggest concern considering it's cost.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

Does it feel like more than 2 hours of entertainment? That's my biggest concern considering it's cost.
The main story feels really loving short (it's literally only 2 objectives and a couple cutscenes), but I had so much fun loving around in the game world that I didn't even touch the story for the first 2 hours of play time. And when I was done with my first play through, I saw that I only had 8 PERCENT COMPLETION :aaaaa:

So there's a lot of side missions and stuff that I still have yet to see.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I guess today's the day we find out whether Sony has VR engineers who think they can beat John Carmack and the gang at Oculus rift eh?

Or maybe not. I'm willing to bet that it's going to be super-prototype half baked stuff that Sony is still way not committed to because the title of the talk is 'driving the future of innovation' which is kind of corporate talk for 'he's some cool impractical and decades-away stuff we're experimenting with in our R&D department'.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The main story feels really loving short (it's literally only 2 objectives and a couple cutscenes), but I had so much fun loving around in the game world that I didn't even touch the story for the first 2 hours of play time. And when I was done with my first play through, I saw that I only had 8 PERCENT COMPLETION :aaaaa:

So there's a lot of side missions and stuff that I still have yet to see.

Still sounds like the biggest ripoff in VG history but goddamn I do want to try it. I love me some Metal Gear. If I wasn't so distracted by Dark Souls 2 I'd probably just cave and buy it tomorrow morning.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Should have just stuck with $20 across the board.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still incredulous that there isn't as much cutscene time as there is gameplay time in GZ (according to what people are saying). Is that what Phantom Pain is going to be like? Did they look at Revengence and realize that the main line series doesn't need hour-long cutscenes either?

edit: $15 is what I think the ideal price for a sub-full-length game. Hell, lots of near full length games are $15 also. I'm still working on Strider.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 18, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been listening to audio logs for the past hour. There's no shortage of extra content in this game.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still incredulous that there isn't as much cutscene time as their is gameplay time in GZ (according to what people are saying). Is that what Phantom Pain is going to be like? Did they look at Revengence and realize that the main line series doesn't need hour-long cutscenes either?
The cutscenes all pretty much feel like teases in this one. None of them feel like they reveal large parts of the story. Who knows if the same will be true in Phantom Pain.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I caved and just bought Ground Zeroes. It's a 1/3 done downloading. I only played the PS1 and PS2 MGS games and have no memory or idea what the plot was about. I want to see some pretty pictures on my PS4 to tie me over until Friday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Housh posted:

I caved and just bought Ground Zeroes. It's a 1/3 done downloading. I only played the PS1 and PS2 MGS games and have no memory or idea what the plot was about. I want to see some pretty pictures on my PS4 to tie me over until Friday.
If you played MGS3 on PS2 you'll be part of the way there story-wise. If you skipped MGS4, don't worry, it's at the end of the timeline and you won't have missed anything going into this game by not playing it. Peace Walker is probably gonna be the real missing link for you but the game fills you in on the backstory of MGS3 and PW before you start playing.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

I guess today's the day we find out whether Sony has VR engineers who think they can beat John Carmack and the gang at Oculus rift eh?

Or maybe not. I'm willing to bet that it's going to be super-prototype half baked stuff that Sony is still way not committed to because the title of the talk is 'driving the future of innovation' which is kind of corporate talk for 'he's some cool impractical and decades-away stuff we're experimenting with in our R&D department'.

Part of me hopes the announcement is that they are just teaming up with the rift people, because a format war in such a ridiculously niche market would just be dumb. Sony used to love doing that poo poo, but they have gotten much better about it.

Plus Sony can contribute so much in terms of manufacturing and design, it seems like an ideal fit... But who knows.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still incredulous that there isn't as much cutscene time as there is gameplay time in GZ (according to what people are saying). Is that what Phantom Pain is going to be like? Did they look at Revengence and realize that the main line series doesn't need hour-long cutscenes either?

edit: $15 is what I think the ideal price for a sub-full-length game. Hell, lots of near full length games are $15 also. I'm still working on Strider.

Revengeance really isn't a metal gear game. It's a Platinum game with Metal Gear paint. It isn't trying to "do" the same poo poo that a main series Metal Gear game is doing in terms of themes, pacing etc. It's all well and good to like Revengeance more than a main series Metal Gear game but I think adopting too much for Revengeance would pretty much destroy what makes those games what they are.

That said I've been kind of out of the loop. Is Ground Zeroes literally the first chapter of Phantom Pain or is it a separate prologue that won't be in the final game? I assumed the former.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Revengeance really isn't a metal gear game. It's a Platinum game with Metal Gear paint. It isn't trying to "do" the same poo poo that a main series Metal Gear game is doing in terms of themes, pacing etc. It's all well and good to like Revengeance more than a main series Metal Gear game but I think adopting too much for Revengeance would pretty much destroy what makes those games what they are.

That said I've been kind of out of the loop. Is Ground Zeroes literally the first chapter of Phantom Pain or is it a separate prologue that won't be in the final game? I assumed the former.

I believe it's the latter. Which is why literally calling it a demo is disingenuous or ignorant.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Software 1.62 is out and with it "Operation quality during use of some PlayStation 4 software has been improved."

My favourite.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Software 1.62 is out and with it "Operation quality during use of some PlayStation 4 software has been improved."

My favourite.

I think it means "Playstation runs more gooder."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

RagnarokAngel posted:

Revengeance absolutely is trying to cover the same themes that the rest of the series does. It just does it with a totally different tone and much better pacing. Also it was a Metal Gear game years before Platinum took over the project.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sprat Sandwich posted:

My favourite.

FINALLY, 60FPS 4K Playroom.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I have never played a Metal Gear game for more than 10 minutes. I probably won't be getting the new one simply because the whole thing seems very inaccessible to someone who is new to the series.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I believe it's the latter. Which is why literally calling it a demo is disingenuous or ignorant.

It's literally a short demonstration of what Phantom will be like, its not like you'll miss anything important by not playing it, or at least that's what the eurogamer dude said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's the equivalent of MGS2's Tanker or MGS3's Virtuous Mission, but on a larger scale with side-missions to play with afterwards. It almost definitely wont be included on the final game's disc, but there'll probably be editions that come with a download code or something, we don't know yet.

• Locked thread