Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Make Segal the Muppet fanatic instead and you just solved half the movie's story problems.

Nah, it's really important for Walter to be the muppet fanatic, not Gary.

Walter's whole arc really crystallizes when you view it through the lens of disability. The movie's early scenes make it clear that he needs Gary's constant assistance to function in a world designed for humans, and the muppets provide both an inspiration to achieve in spite of his handicap (the scene where he meets Gonzo underscores this quite poignantly), and eventually a supporting culture where he can thrive, find autonomy, and express his talents. A regular human dude who just happens to be really into a puppet troupe wouldn't be half as resonant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm probably not going to see the new Muppets just because I hate Ricky Gervais that goddamn much.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I liked Segel in SLC Punk.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Speaking of, is SLC Punk 2 still being made?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

wyoming posted:

I liked Segel in SLC Punk.

Oh poo poo that was him? God I both loved that movie and forgot it existed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of, is SLC Punk 2 still being made?

Hah, I was actually just looking that up, sounds like it's going to start shooting next month.
Segel wasn't interested in reprising his role. Til Schweiger is coming back though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5MjyUCnJD0

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

For some reason the boring new Muppet character is back. No idea why.

The Muppets have a history of introducing new characters and hoping that they stand the test of time. There was a big focus on a rabbit muppet back in the 90s but he's pretty much forgotten.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Muppets have a history of introducing new characters and hoping that they stand the test of time. There was a big focus on a rabbit muppet back in the 90s but he's pretty much forgotten.

Don't you speak ill of Bean Bunny!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really wanted Vampire Academy to be good.
Uh, why?

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I know literally nothing about the source material but when I heard the screenplay was written by the dude that made Heathers made me a little hopeful too.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Don't you speak ill of Bean Bunny!

Bean Bunny sucked, just like all of Steve Whitmire's characters. Pepe the king prawn, however, loving rules.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They also had that weird robot-human-Mr. Data thing, some kind of Rastafarian fish (Clifford according to wiki) and a weird salamander guy all from Muppets Tonight.

Pepe seems to have lasted from that.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Jason Segal was pretty great in the Muppet movie and the movies bright I'd, non-ironic love of the source was I think mostly him...

Autocorrect strikes again?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's a solid idea. Ever since Jennifer's Body, I've wanted to see a movie along the same lines.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Bean Bunny sucked, just like all of Steve Whitmire's characters. Pepe the king prawn, however, loving rules.

Didn't they all disappear because he got promoted to doing Kermit and Ernie?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks like we're getting Cars 3 and The Incredibles 2. I'm actually looking forward to the Incredibles sequel — it's the only Pixar movie that I thought really asked for a follow-up, and Brad Bird will at least be writing it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe in Incredibles 2 a supervillain will solve global scarcity and the Incredibles can beat the poo poo out of her because some people are born better than others and if no one is hungry then everyone is. Then they'll go make their own city for the superior to live away from the plebes.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Five years ago when Pixar seemed infallible I would have loved for them to make a sequel to The Incredibles; now I'm not so sure.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Irish Joe posted:

Segal and Adam's characters wouldn't have felt so pointless if they didn't exist solely to carry the boring white guy muppet around. Having Adams freak out because her boyfriend is helping his distraught brother through a rough time makes her come off really bad. Make Segal the Muppet fanatic instead and you just solved half the movie's story problems.

I thought it was more that he is always around. That its never the two of them, he is always there. That he always put his brother over her, and even brought him on romantic vacations.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Maybe in Incredibles 2 a supervillain will solve global scarcity and the Incredibles can beat the poo poo out of her because some people are born better than others and if no one is hungry then everyone is. Then they'll go make their own city for the superior to live away from the plebes.

Bird claims that all libertarian subtext was just the unintentional consequence of having The Incredibles set in the 60s. He's aware of it now so Incredibles 2 could go in the exact opposite direction. It'd be interesting if they changed the time periods to the 70s or added some parodies of 80s and 90s EXTREME comics.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Five years ago when Pixar seemed infallible I would have loved for them to make a sequel to The Incredibles; now I'm not so sure.

Worst case, it sucks and you don't enjoy it. Best case, you love it and your day is a little better. Why would you not want a movie to be made? It's such a weird concept.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol was a lot of fun, and Ratatouille was Good Pixar, so Brad Bird has still got it. Of course, if he's not directing that won't mean as much.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Taser Gator posted:

Bird claims that all libertarian subtext was just the unintentional consequence of having The Incredibles set in the 60s. He's aware of it now so Incredibles 2 could go in the exact opposite direction. It'd be interesting if they changed the time periods to the 70s or added some parodies of 80s and 90s EXTREME comics.

I could see some sort of Harrison Bergeron-style power-sapping equalization where now the Incredibles don't even have their powers to rely on anymore or the opposite (and probably more true to the Kirby influences), the Incredibles are introduced to an alien civilization were their powers aren't even special anymore.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ariza posted:

Worst case, it sucks and you don't enjoy it. Best case, you love it and your day is a little better. Why would you not want a movie to be made? It's such a weird concept.

At this point I would just personally prefer for them to make more original stuff, as they seem to be going in a sequel-happy direction. If Incredibles 2 comes out and it's good, great! If it isn't good, I won't cry that it 'ruined' the original or whatever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

Looks like we're getting Cars 3 and The Incredibles 2. I'm actually looking forward to the Incredibles sequel — it's the only Pixar movie that I thought really asked for a follow-up, and Brad Bird will at least be writing it.
Incredibles 2 I have some faith in.

Cars 3? Ehhhhhhhhhhh, not so much.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Slate Action posted:

At this point I would just personally prefer for them to make more original stuff, as they seem to be going in a sequel-happy direction. If Incredibles 2 comes out and it's good, great! If it isn't good, I won't cry that it 'ruined' the original or whatever.

That's a good point. It's crazy how laborious and expensive those Pixar movies are. Anything that isn't cars or planes or boats though will probably be great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Brave was pretty boring and bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Brave was pretty boring and bad.

Naw.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So this teaser for a 3D Charlie Brown movie went up today.

It doesn't look offensively bad, but the usual gross super-detail of this kind of animation is pretty unsettling with the character styles.

Look at his hair, it looks like something you'd pull out of your drain.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CzarChasm posted:

They also had that weird robot-human-Mr. Data thing, some kind of Rastafarian fish (Clifford according to wiki) and a weird salamander guy all from Muppets Tonight.

Pepe seems to have lasted from that.

I had to look up Clifford thanks to you saying he was a fish. Apparently he's classed as a "human" muppet. I thought he was a baboon, because of his face shape, and because I apparently am partially racist, and now I feel bad.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Taser Gator posted:

But Galt was the bad guy in Incredibles, how is that unintended? The movie is a rejection of libertarianism.

Anyway, sequels tend to be best if they go on a tangent from the first, so I hope Brad does that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Nroo posted:

So this teaser for a 3D Charlie Brown movie went up today.

It doesn't look offensively bad, but the usual gross super-detail of this kind of animation is pretty unsettling with the character styles.

Look at his hair, it looks like something you'd pull out of your drain.

I guess it's a little weird because we've had animated Peanuts cartoons for decades that looked exactly like the comic would in motion whereas this looks like they're trying to approximate a stop-motion film or something. It's not unpleasant but it's an interesting choice.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I mean it's not like Peanuts is some precious thing that can't be adapted, we've had the crew hocking life insurance for way too long for that to be the case. Genuinely curious how you make a Peanuts movie in this day & age though, have you ever tried showing those old Peanuts movies to kids? They're way too slow

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I want to see what kind of dope dance moved the Peanuts characters have when the normal theme song is remixed and the beat drrrroooopppppps.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Incredibles dealt with a lot of political-ish themes, but not in a way that really aligned into a message. It also doesn't help that it's about the politics of super powers, which are not imminently applicable to reality.

I haven't seen the film in a long time, but I remember the whole Anti-Super Act being portrayed as sucky for the main characters, but necessary for society. Mr. Incredible causes stupid amounts of collateral damage stopping a criminal that the cops probably could have dealt with just fine. Syndrome presents himself as wanting to give everybody super-powers, but he's doing it entirely to spite Mr. Incredible, not for political reasons. He knows that the idea of a world where he isn't special gets under Mr. Incredible's skin; he wants to undermine Bob's self worth like Bob did to him when he was a kid.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

I want to see what kind of dope dance moved the Peanuts characters have when the normal theme song is remixed and the beat drrrroooopppppps.

It's going to be the same three moves, again and again, like it always was.

Also, for the best example of real humans dancing like the Peanuts gang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhP597-SW0

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CzarChasm posted:

It's going to be the same three moves, again and again, like it always was.

Also, for the best example of real humans dancing like the Peanuts gang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhP597-SW0

They left out my favorite move, the zombie walk in place bit.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DStecks posted:

Syndrome presents himself as wanting to give everybody super-powers, but he's doing it entirely to spite Mr. Incredible, not for political reasons. He knows that the idea of a world where he isn't special gets under Mr. Incredible's skin; he wants to undermine Bob's self worth like Bob did to him when he was a kid.

He also has the goal of making money. He doesn't necessarily want people to have them, he wants to SELL them to people. In order to sell them he already causes large amounts of collateral damage, even before his plans go awry. If anything, blowing up downtown to hock merchandise is the most libertarian thing in the movie.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

It will just sound like the adults talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He also has the goal of making money. He doesn't necessarily want people to have them, he wants to SELL them to people. In order to sell them he already causes large amounts of collateral damage, even before his plans go awry. If anything, blowing up downtown to hock merchandise is the most libertarian thing in the movie.

That and I'm pretty sure he only wants to sell them after he gets 80 years of being the only superhero on Earth.

• Locked thread