Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Anybody in Canada who ordered from Amazon have their PS3 copy of X/X-2 HD ship? They're still trying to find mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Syrant posted:

The nights I spent getting everything for King Cactuar, Overdrive->AP, and the damage-to-overdrive-charge are a blur to me but I remember that pretty much being the end for any challenge to completing the sphere grid. 99 sphere levels per battle.

It's quicker to use Don Tonberry; one person (with a ton of kills of course) set to Stoic, the others set to Comrade. That way in the amount of time it takes 1 person to get smacked, everyone gains 99 and it can be controlled to get that on account of Karma being a counterattack. Cactuar is a ton of waiting, and hoping. Good for the earlier stuff but falls behind pretty soon too.

quote:

I can't decide which Sphere Grid I want to use. On one hand I want to try out something new, on the other I want to relive going through the game mostly the same as it was (I had been wanting to play through it again but news of the re-release stayed my hand every time). I mean, eventually you end up going into everyone elses sphere grid, anyway.

Unless you care about a couple of hundred HP at the very, very high end (and you don't, because Break HP Limit is completely worthless) then it doesn't matter at all. If for some reason you want to both min-max everything and use BHPL for some bizarre reason then you want Standard.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

It's quicker to use Don Tonberry; one person (with a ton of kills of course) set to Stoic, the others set to Comrade. That way in the amount of time it takes 1 person to get smacked, everyone gains 99 and it can be controlled to get that on account of Karma being a counterattack. Cactuar is a ton of waiting, and hoping. Good for the earlier stuff but falls behind pretty soon too.

I thought the usual method was set the entire party to Comrade and attack with everyone until you ran out of Phoenix Downs for Auto-Phoenix to chug? Or did it get changed in the International version like a bunch of other things did?

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

precision posted:

Ni No Kuni is 23 gigs (a 5 gig demo and another 18 gig download) and it's only one game.

edit: Also, Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition is up there, I think it's around 20 gigs and it's just a drat 2D fighting game.
How does that even work, the PC version of Street Fighter AE on Steam is 9 gigs.

I just wish it was June already, need to get my fix of Four Job Fiesta for the year. :)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

I thought the usual method was set the entire party to Comrade and attack with everyone until you ran out of Phoenix Downs for Auto-Phoenix to chug? Or did it get changed in the International version like a bunch of other things did?

You use one person on Stoic because that way you only need one person with a high kill count (Karma deals damage equal to 100*number of enemies that person has killed). Using Comrade on everyone means you need to ensure that at least 2 people have a high enough kill count to make it worthwhile which, even if you use the same 3 people all game, isn't necessarily as likely as it sounds.

Also, and this is a minor thing, but Stoic charges a little faster than Comrade anyway. If someone takes 99,999 damage and has 9999 HP, with Stoic that person would gain 300 points in the Overdrive bar. Any ally with Comrade only gains 200. This sounds weird and pointless, but that means there's a very specific added benefit. If, somehow, the person with the most kills is also significantly behind everyone else (not sure how that would happen but it could I guess) they would catch up faster.

e; Your Auto-Phoenix idea would work if you were to wait for him to waddle up to the party and then stab people a bunch but that's slower and inefficient. You'd get the same results from that as you would from using the King Cactuar.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 18, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Picked up my copy of FF X/X2 HD Limited Edition. Pretty spiffy case worth preordering instead of just going in and picked up one day. If you're into artbooks the art is pretty nice though I kinda feel like the case will feel out of place in my game collection. Going to have to wait before diving in again due to Dark Souls 2. Anecdotally the clerk at the shop said it was selling better than the XIII's so far.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm about to go pick up my copy of FFX. Looking forward to seeing if I can actually beat the minigames this time around (chocobo racing :argh:) - I was forced to forge a break damage limit for Tidus because the Chocobo Race just absolutely wrecked me. Between that and Butterfly catching I ended up pretty frustrated!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm just thinking of this in the realm of maximum overdrive points for passive play. So assuming that, using your method, you'd get 300 + (200 * 2) = 700 OD points in a turn with one person attacking and the others defending/healing/whatever. However, with the more passive "set everyone to Comrade" style, and accounting for a variation in kills between the party, you'd get something like (150 * 2) * 3 = 900 with two characters gaining 150 OD points every time anyone attacked, and you could just mash X and watch something interesting.

I dunno, that's just what makes sense to me, does it make sense to you? I don't pretend to know what's optimal, I'm just going off your numbers.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 18, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I have heard that many people don't like the HD, since it was outsourced to another country or something and all the characters now look pale and soulless, and sometimes they get into Uncanny Valley plastic-people territory

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Excels posted:

the characters now look pale and soulless, and sometimes they get into Uncanny Valley plastic-people territory

Well you've heard Tidus and Yuna speak/laugh right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't see how X/X-2 could not sell well. It's two brand new FF games for people who are younger or can't be bothered to buy an old console, and most FF fans like one or both of them enough to drop $40. Pricing it at $60 might have been a disaster, though.

Even the timing is great, because everyone who is like "I am so goddamn sick of XIII, why did we even need a part 3 to that poo poo" will likely jump at the chance to "support when FF was good" or whatever.

I remember so little about X that it's going to practically be a new game for me, too. Played it exactly once when it came out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Buying it first thing on Friday is easily my plan. No cutscene skip is annoying, but if I tolerated it for dozens upon dozens of replays already then one more won't hurt.

S-Alpha posted:

I'm just thinking of this in the realm of maximum overdrive points for passive play. So assuming that, using your method, you'd get 300 + (200 * 2) = 700 OD points in a turn with one person attacking and the others defending/healing/whatever. However, with the more passive "set everyone to Comrade" style, and accounting for a variation in kills between the party, you'd get something like (100 * 2) * 3 = 900

(100 * 2) * 3 = 600, so... :v:

But, yeah, if you're not really paying attention and just mashing X uncaring about who gets hit and when then everyone on Comrade'll work out fine. Just be a bit more time consuming, but if you're just doing it while watching something on Netflix or the like it won't really make too much of a difference or you won't notice enough to care.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I don't see how X/X-2 could not sell well.

I literally won't buy it because it doesn't have cutscene skip. I love FFX/X-2 and I can't play through them again without either that feature or massive fast-forward.

Outside of that its a re-release of more than ten year old games that are in a genre whose heyday was roughly when they launched. A lot has happened to the gaming market since then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A lot of people see HD remasters as cash-ins. The X/X-2 ones don't look like especially good remasters. In two out of three major markets, the new content is not new for FFX. The X-2 new content is new for two of them, but doesn't seem to be much of anything. The FF name feels sort of poisoned from the negative reaction of recent entries and it feels like FPS games of various types are the go-to for youngsters nowadays.

I reckon X HD not selling well is by far more likely.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It'll give me something to play on my Vita, so eh. Plus I like FFX. No cutscene skip is bullshit though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

(100 * 2) * 3 = 600, so... :v:

GODDAMMIT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 150.

Just imagine it was 150. Honest. :downs:

But yeah, it just kinda makes sense that even if you cut the amount that you gain in half, you're more than making up for it by getting three attacks per turn than one and having two blokes defend. It just eats up Phoenix Downs faster.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 18, 2014

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Wait, they didn't add cutscene skip? Bleh. That's a big bummer.

And thanks for the encouragement earlier, dudes. I'll see if I can't make my way through Lunatic Pandora and then the Final Dungeon of FF8 before my copy of X/X-2 HD gets here. I pretty much fully optimized my characters (no level-ups, drew 100 ultimas for strength junctions, etc) so it'll be a cakewalk.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Aurain posted:

A lot of people see HD remasters as cash-ins. The X/X-2 ones don't look like especially good remasters. In two out of three major markets, the new content is not new for FFX. The X-2 new content is new for two of them, but doesn't seem to be much of anything. The FF name feels sort of poisoned from the negative reaction of recent entries and it feels like FPS games of various types are the go-to for youngsters nowadays.

I reckon X HD not selling well is by far more likely.

KH1.5 has set a pretty high standard on HD remakes imo.

Also the X-2 International content is mostly new outfits, some of which are pretty cool, like Psychic Schoolgirl and the festival one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

Wait, they didn't add cutscene skip? Bleh. That's a big bummer.

And thanks for the encouragement earlier, dudes. I'll see if I can't make my way through Lunatic Pandora and then the Final Dungeon of FF8 before my copy of X/X-2 HD gets here. I pretty much fully optimized my characters (no level-ups, drew 100 ultimas for strength junctions, etc) so it'll be a cakewalk.

Its pretty much worth it just to play the final dungeon which, in my opinion, is one of the better/more interesting final dungeons in the franchise.

Then you can experience that ending.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

I literally won't buy it because it doesn't have cutscene skip. I love FFX/X-2 and I can't play through them again without either that feature or massive fast-forward.

Outside of that its a re-release of more than ten year old games that are in a genre whose heyday was roughly when they launched. A lot has happened to the gaming market since then.

You can play Final Fantasy X International in PCSX2 really easily, since the emulator doesn't have many problems with Square Enix games in general. You can play the Japanese version with both English text and voice acting, so there's no translation patch necessary like FFXII or KHII. You can also use frame skip to fast-forward through cutscenes, and place save states at the start of difficult boss battles.

Kingdom Hearts I and II play really well in the emulator, although 1.5 HD is probably the better option now that it has the Final Mix content, cutscene skip, and camera control on the 2nd analogue stick. KHII plays pretty much perfectly, with the exception of a slightly misaligned bloom effect in cutscenes, although that may have been fixed by now.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
FFX-2 cutscene skip is the worst cutscene skip ever. It penalizes you for not completely watching cutscenes.

UGHHHHHHHhh.

Both my original copy and my family's copy of FFX stopped reading off the disk after a while (in two different PS2's, the only game I'd ever had problems with on that system) and so it's the FF I haven't (re)played in a while.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-2 International/HD has Last Mission, a kind of important story thing I've been wanting to see for years and years now. If it's been dubbed, somebody better hurry up and put that poo poo on YOuTube.

Also I think it has a whole new superboss that's even harder than Trema? Has some weird name.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 18, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I too advocate piracy here on the Something Awful Video Games Forum.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

X-2 International/HD has Last Mission, a kind of important story thing I've been wanting to see for years and years now. If it's been dubbed, somebody better hurry up and put that poo poo on YOuTube.

But does it have this:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Emulation isn't inherently piracy though? I use an emulator rather than digging out my PS2 and plugging it back in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can emulate disks you legitimately own using PCSX2. He's not saying download an .iso. Sure, it's not what most people use an emulator for, but advocating use of an emulator and advocating piracy aren't the same thing when it comes to consoles that use disks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the main draw of that is the pseudo-roguelike weird gameplay (which is supposedly really fun), not the deep or great story it has. I could be wrong, but anyway, it sounds like it's a blast to play.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If anyone is getting FFX on vita and does not want their X-2 code for some strange reason I will buy it off you!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Is the PS3 version disc only? I'm only seeing the Vita versions on the store.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Cyra posted:

Is the PS3 version disc only? I'm only seeing the Vita versions on the store.

Supposedly it just hasn't gone up on PSN yet.

I got my copy earlier today and after finally tearing myself away from DS2 for a little bit to check it out I'm pleased with the purchase. The music sounds weird, though.

e: To elaborate on it a little, I guess: In some cases the remastered music sounds a lot fuller (where it felt maybe a little sparse sometimes, but still good, in the original), but it's still just something that sounds incredibly off because it's not what I expected to hear.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 18, 2014

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I am incredibly disappointed with this FFX packaging. It's like cheap paper, no instruction booklet, the art section isn't really worth it. If it wasn't 20GB+ I would have rather bought it digitally.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dreffen posted:

Supposedly it just hasn't gone up on PSN yet.

I got my copy earlier today and after finally tearing myself away from DS2 for a little bit to check it out I'm pleased with the purchase. The music sounds weird, though.

e: To elaborate on it a little, I guess: In some cases the remastered music sounds a lot fuller (where it felt maybe a little sparse sometimes, but still good, in the original), but it's still just something that sounds incredibly off because it's not what I expected to hear.

I get the same impression from the music, but I also have so many of the original tunes in my head from having listened to them so much over the last decade that I think it's just they just don't sound as expected. I wonder if these versions will replace the old ones in my head down the road.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

derra posted:

FFX-2 cutscene skip is the worst cutscene skip ever. It penalizes you for not completely watching cutscenes.

UGHHHHHHHhh.

God yes I was THIS close to getting the 100% on the PS2 version and I lost it because I died on a boss and didn't want to watch the whole preceding cutscene a second time. That's like use case number one for skippable cutscenes. :psyduck:

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 19, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I got an email from squeenix that the game was on the PSN store today so it ~should~ be there.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There are threads for PCSX2 and Dolphin, you know. Besides, I already own these games in some form or another, including the International version of FFX since that was the one that came out in Europe. Playing the Japanese version at least lets you play it at the original speed, since SE's terrible PAL conversion meant the game ran at 5/6th speed.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
The game's not showing up on the Vita store but shows up on the official store website. If I buy from the website does it give me a code or a physical copy?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Syrant posted:

I can't decide which Sphere Grid I want to use. On one hand I want to try out something new, on the other I want to relive going through the game mostly the same as it was (I had been wanting to play through it again but news of the re-release stayed my hand every time). I mean, eventually you end up going into everyone elses sphere grid, anyway.

The nights I spent getting everything for King Cactuar, Overdrive->AP, and the damage-to-overdrive-charge are a blur to me but I remember that pretty much being the end for any challenge to completing the sphere grid. 99 sphere levels per battle.

If you intend on getting platinum (fill in every node with every character) you should use the international grid because there are fewer nodes

Having unlimited AP helps but that's not the grindy part for getting platinum. You need to fill in every node so you either clear the luck nodes and fill them in with MDEF or grind for fortune spheres for all your characters. Oh, and there's a trophy for defeating penance so you'll need to grind out fortune spheres for at least 3 characters (then clear them after defeating penance and fill them in with MDEF)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man I love FF X and X-2, and them in HD is great, but the unskippable cutscenes (and worse, 2's utterly retarded skip system) really drag.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are you only penalized for skipping cutscenes? What if you press X during dialogue to skip it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man I love FF X and X-2, and them in HD is great, but the unskippable cutscenes (and worse, 2's utterly retarded skip system) really drag.

I seriously can't believe they didn't add a cutscene skip.