Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jupiter was still tops in Rome, but the Romans considered Mars to be much more important than the Greeks considered Ares. Mars was generally a pretty close number two, especially closer to the end of the empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like we're going to be going back and trying to stop Phi, but I for one believe we should go farther back. Again and again this game has openly mocked us for trying to play Sigma as a nice guy, when it's right there in the title, good people die. Even here, Sigma's downfall was that he was standing around debating the morality of ditching everyone, while anyone else in this cast of backstabbing douchebags (Luna and Ten excepted, though in Ten's case it'd just be because of Quark) would have had a hand on the handle of the #9 door the second the vote popped up. Even K had the sense to get out while the getting was good, and so far he's been a pretty decent guy.

Sigma has the handicap of being a protagonist in a Japanese game, so we need to do something to drastically alter this sad state of affairs, and it starts with kicking puppies betraying Lunas for shits and giggles.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Onmi posted:

Come on have we learned NOTHING? There's no chance we're ever actually escaping without everyone else, they'll just knock us down.

I get knocked down, I never get back up again. If only Sigma could jump like Phi can.

legoman727 posted:

Watch, if we betray Phi, she'll have allied and we'll get a bad end when she murders us because we're trying to escape.

At least she only killed us to be safe. That's something, isn't it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jupiter was still tops in Rome, but the Romans considered Mars to be much more important than the Greeks considered Ares. Mars was generally a pretty close number two, especially closer to the end of the empire.

Guess it's because Ares was a horrible monster while Mars was an okay dude in comparison.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zoe posted:

Looks like we're going to be going back and trying to stop Phi, but I for one believe we should go farther back. Again and again this game has openly mocked us for trying to play Sigma as a nice guy, when it's right there in the title, good people die. Even here, Sigma's downfall was that he was standing around debating the morality of ditching everyone, while anyone else in this cast of backstabbing douchebags (Luna and Ten excepted, though in Ten's case it'd just be because of Quark) would have had a hand on the handle of the #9 door the second the vote popped up. Even K had the sense to get out while the getting was good, and so far he's been a pretty decent guy.

Sigma has the handicap of being a protagonist in a Japanese game, so we need to do something to drastically alter this sad state of affairs, and it starts with kicking puppies betraying Lunas for shits and giggles.

Ah but you forget, Good People Die, but I Want to Be a Good Person. Besides, how did this ending not tip you off that we are never, ever getting out of here without everyone. Have we forgotten 999? Even when you WON in that game you lost because the goal was not to escape.

We'll get knocked out, or die, or our Radical-6 I'm very sure we have because of the Luna Route will kick in and we'll kill ourselves, or we'll blow up, or Dio will Dio and betray.

Especially if we had to Betray to get to 9. And it's not like we're a giant robot man or Gravity Girl, We're a 22 year old who can't even solve the poo poo out of those puzzles.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Onmi posted:

Besides, how did this ending not tip you off that we are never, ever getting out of here without everyone.

Sure that's what they want you to think. But then after being all 'hey guys we should work together :downs:' and getting repeatedly kicked in the nuts across multiple timelines, something inside Sigma just snaps and then we finally get the super double secret 'murder everyone and run away giggling' True Good End.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Damnit, people! I just know we're going to have to be horrible and betray Luna over and over at some point.

I wanna get it out of the way now. Also, it's funny to see both the game and all the characters yell at Sigma for being an rear end in a top hat when just about every single one of them tries to justify their assholishness when they do it, and can get away with it (usually). Us? Ha ha NOPE!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shei-kun posted:

Damnit, people! I just know we're going to have to be horrible and betray Luna over and over at some point.

I wanna get it out of the way now. Also, it's funny to see both the game and all the characters yell at Sigma for being an rear end in a top hat when just about every single one of them tries to justify their assholishness when they do it, and can get away with it (usually). Us? Ha ha NOPE!

That's really the thing that pisses me off the most about this game.

In 999, the only jerks were Ace, Lotus (early-on), and Junpei if you chose Door 3.

Here? Everyone flip flops as the plot needs them to. You have 1 BP and choose Betray against someone? You're a horrible person for doing it.

They have 1 BP and chose Betray against someone? Completely justifiable defense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In 999, the only jerks were Ace, Lotus (early-on), and Junpei if you chose Door 3.

Here? Everyone flip flops as the plot needs them to. You have 1 BP and choose Betray against someone? You're a horrible person for doing it.

They have 1 BP and chose Betray against someone? Completely justifiable defense.

That's only Alice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well if I'm thinking right, the true end goal (and the only way to truly escape) is to get everyone to ally for 3 rounds, That way everyone hits 9 and leaves together. The problem is nobody can trust anybody else and some of us (all of us?) have Radical-6, add on that Dio is a murdering fucktard and all of these routes are not us searching for a way to escape, but searching for a way to get everyone to ally.

Man, I almost need a flow chart to keep up with everything, We've got the old Lady and "I was you, you will be me, she knows everything", What's up with Tenmyouji and Clover? the Myrmidons? Who is K?, who is a Robot? Where the hell are we? what year is this (I am saying this one because Radical 6 could not have spread like it had in just a few days)?

There's probably more I simply don't remember because there's so much going on.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
We've already run through all of the allying options and someone always betrays somewhere. In order to get a situation where everyone allies all the time, we'd need to go down enough paths and discover enough information - not just ourselves, but trigger it for the other players - that everyone comes to these conclusions. Which is tricky, because we only have agency over Sigma's choices, and only see what he discovers, so it's difficult to predict when other people are going to change their mind - and this assumes that we can even get people to change on the choices that we've already seen, which may or may not be the case.

I doubt getting everyone to ally all the time is the solution, because there's just so much else going on and we don't even know most of it at this point. Long way to go to figure out what the hell the goal is here, much less to actually accomplish it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And don't forget, we've still yet to see a single actual ending after all this time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh right I did actually forget something, the anagrams on the walls.

Regy Rusty posted:

And don't forget, we've still yet to see a single actual ending after all this time.

Technically not true, we've seen Bad Ends!

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I just realised, Phi is doing exactly what we keep doing, but did it to us.

She reacted to our betrayal by going right back to the vote, and hitting betray herself in retaliation.

We are the Alice to her Sigma, minus the " ONLY A TOTAL IDIOT WOULD ALLY" I guess.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 19, 2014

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Penakoto posted:

She reacted to our betrayal by going right back to the vote, and hitting betray herself in retaliation.

It wasn't retaliation, it was just showing what Siggy actually is. Sigma represents nature's willingness to bend to strong wills - Phi believed so hard that we should betray her, so changed the very universe to made it true. VLR is the game version of The Secret! :v:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Regy Rusty posted:

In real life, unlike most fiction, a blow that can render a person unconscious can very easily be fatal. I choose to believe that this ending is just the game choosing to reflect reality in this instance and Phi just accidentally murdered Sigma.

Finally, there's something realistic in the game.

And yeah, it's weird how people seem to not know that you CAN very easily die from a punch to the head. One wrong blood vessel and we die.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So, VLR isn't the Prisoner's Dilemma...it's Groundhog's Day.

Sigma has to play the Nonary Game again and again, learning from all of his mistakes until he can play it perfectly and get out.

I wonder if one of the other players will ask him at one point "How could you possibly know that?" and Sigma will just respond "I'm God."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Quiet Python posted:

So, VLR isn't the Prisoner's Dilemma...it's Groundhog's Day.

Sigma has to play the Nonary Game again and again, learning from all of his mistakes until he can play it perfectly and get out.

I wonder if one of the other players will ask him at one point "How could you possibly know that?" and Sigma will just respond "I'm God."

It's both! And this is me speculating? Possibly Sliders? Quantum Leap? That might explain why we didn't find the old lady dead on some routes. We didn't just jump to a different point in time, we jumped to an entirely new world where she was never there!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Welp, don't see much reason to prolong the poll any longer. Let's go and stop Phi's pre-venge.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fedule posted:

Welp, don't see much reason to prolong the poll any longer. Let's go and stop Phi's pre-venge.

Hooray! Let's go stop Phi from leaving after she betrayed us, which she did because we betrayed her in another time-line, which we only did because she told us we betrayed her, leading to her betraying us!

We are the Akane this time, a route going to hell? Eh gently caress it, I'll go down another path and see what else I can learn.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Fedule posted:

Oh did someone speculate correctly? :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Poland Spring posted:

If they did I don't wanna know until the LP confirms it. with no PSV or 3DS I never had a chance to play the game or own it.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Poland Spring posted:

This fell under the exceptions noted for the new plot lock rules.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This one is also so painfully obvious that even I figured it out right away, long before I noticed that the locks turn green in the flowchart when you have the information you need to get past them.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Does Prevenge count if we betrayed them after they betrayed us and then we do actually go and betray them so we can go back and interrupt the prevenge with the knowledge we get from the betrayal? Wouldn't it just be revenge at that point?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I, uh... I have to admit I don't really see why anything we learned here would stop Phi. I mean, if she's doing it in the first place because she remembers our betrayal, how is reminding her of it going to be constructive?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Glazius posted:

I, uh... I have to admit I don't really see why anything we learned here would stop Phi. I mean, if she's doing it in the first place because she remembers our betrayal, how is reminding her of it going to be constructive?

Maybe now that Sigma might remember betraying her, he'll apologize for it, causing her to ... not leave?

That's all I can think of, really.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bluff Buster posted:

Maybe now that Sigma might remember betraying her, he'll apologize for it, causing her to ... not leave?

That's all I can think of, really.

Or he'll knock her unconscious like she did to him.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

centaurette hentai posted:

Or he'll knock her unconscious like she did to him.

That would be a little tougher given how she jumped right over Sigma and now has her hand on the lever, and she's probably a robot who can take Sigma's human fist to the back of the head without flinching?
It'll either be some touchy-feely apology nonsense, or a "so how did I die after you knocked me out?" question.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gonna be upfront about this this time - next update's getting delayed due to technical issues re: one part of my recording process. The good news, though, is that we're going into a nice long bit of story so when I'm done with this we'll have a nice backlog.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

To what I'm sure is everyone's great surprise, going back to stop Phi from taking her pre-emptive revenge was the runaway winner in the poll, getting the nod from 54% of 232 respondents.

VLR OST: [Portentousness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Are you sure that was okay?

Yeah, of course.
Phi did too.

You sound pretty sure of yourself...

Oh, it's not confidence. I already know.

What...?

Uh, let's just go have a look, shall we?
We'll know pretty quick whether I knew anything or not.

Okay. Let's go.

But we already know how this goes...

VLR OST: [Desperation]

You chose "ally" before!

I see... So you remember it too?
The... other round two.

...What?

You... you know?
You remember how I chose "betray" last time in round two?

Yeah, of course.
Why do you think I chose "betray" this time?

Don't you remember what I said?
That I'd make sure you pay?

Y-Yeah... I do remember that...

Yes.

What the hell was I thinking?!
That was conspiracy theory poo poo!
Even if there was some sort of alternate timeline or universe or whatever, there was no way I could know what had happened in it! No way I could know... At least I didn't think there was any way I could know...

But if I could... then how?

I remembered Phi choosing "ally", then scowling at me when I broke my promise and swearing revenge...

I won't forget this.
I'll make sure you pay, even if it's the last thing I do.

Why did I know that?
Perhaps more importantly, why did Phi remember it?
What the hell did any of this mean?

It had happened before, hadn't it?
During round one of the AB Game, when I was playing against Alice. I'd seen... something.

Suddenly I realized that I wasn't alone. I looked up to see Luna, Clover and K.
They all began to speak at once.

Why did you choose "betray", Phi?

Yeah. You're the only one who didn't vote "ally".

Then all of this happens exactly as before. Phi jumps away and prepares to open the number nine door...

Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity!

Are you sure this is how you want it to end?!
What about the Nonary Game? Zero? The bombs?
We still don't know the truth about any of it!
If you leave now, we never will!
Is that really what you want?!

...Fine.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Look, I'm sorry. About betraying you...
I'm honestly not sure why I did it...

Forget about it.
This time you chose "ally" and I chose "betray".
I think we're even.

When did you betray her?

Are you talking about round one?

No. We aren't talking about round one, we're--

Just drop it. There's no point.
I doubt they'd understand even if you did tell them.

Yeah... You're right.

?

?

?

Well, at least it seems Phi has decided to remain.

You've really changed your mind?

Like he said, I can't leave until we've figured out what's going on.

The AB Game will continue until someone opens the number nine door.
If someone reaches 9 BP and doesn't open the door, the game will keep going.

Please don't scare us like that again...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

The AB Game will continue until someone opens the number nine door.
If someone reaches 9 BP and doesn't open the door, the game will keep going.
Might be missing some images here, chief.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

theshim posted:

Might be missing some images here, chief.

Nope. It's just Sigma thinking that to himself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I love how all Sigma has to do to stop her is essentially go "What the hell, Phi?" :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what happens if you reach this point without ever Allying against Alice in the first round? Is that bit just skipped entirely?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That trophy better somehow be a reference to Alexandre Dumas, or else that's a shameful typo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

Nope. It's just Sigma thinking that to himself.
Oh, okay. Just the way it was spaced.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

theshim posted:

Oh, okay. Just the way it was spaced.

It occurred to me that I should probably consider spacing text-dumps in the middle of non-screenshotted dialogue out a bit from said dialogue just to make them a bit more obviously not dialogue.

On reflection I probably should've started doing that at the beginning. Oh well.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

That trophy better somehow be a reference to Alexandre Dumas, or else that's a shameful typo.

Since Dumas was all about taking revenge on people who betrayed him, yeah, I'd assume it's a reference. Er, his most famous story is about that, rather. Same difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
drat, this would have been super trippy if we had done it in the other order. Oh well.

• Locked thread