Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Also backstory is a pretty integral storytelling mechanic. Roughly 99 percent of stories would be awful if you ignored backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, these kitty pants are great for exploration.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

inthesto posted:

Okay, I went ahead and did the Crushed Eye Orb thing. That was really disappointing and obvious. Lautrec's questline in DkS1 was much more involved and had a better ending. I feel like that was something that got rushed or cut during production.

Yeah, agreed. :smith: And even Lautrec in DS1 felt kinda rushed, like they could have done more with that concept.

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Smelter Demon, not Iron King.

Oh poo poo yeah, good catch.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Previous Jesus posted:

I was getting plenty of hits at SL125.

Reposting asking for advice on the Ancient Dragon.

Entire fight, as you've probably noticed, revolves around that flight breath attack. The proper telegraph for that is his wings moving, nothing that comes after; if you're not getting the gently caress out of dodge when his wings move you're rolling the dice on being able to avoid it.

He has the massive 5-10 second breaks between his actual attacks not so that you can continue to attack, but so that you can get your stamina back to full and position yourself properly. Positioning is the entire fight. Remember that he does not move, or turn, unless he's in the air; that means if you want him to move or turn you need to get him to do flying breath.

What I did was to stand in front of his face at a bit of a distance to try and get him to breath fire either straight or in an arc forwards. Then you run to a front leg and attack until the fire breath ends. Once it ends, you run back in front of his face during the downtime between attacks, and repeat. When his wings move I book it away from him and as long as I have the space you end up well outside breath range. Every time he flies he is going to creep a little bit forward so after 2-3 flight attacks you are going to need to use a ground-breath window to run around behind him so that he turns around after flight. Repeat the process with him facing the other direction now, until it's time to turn him around again.

Some people do other things; staying at a back leg and trying for stomps to get attack windows is also a valid strategy (someone posted a strat that did exactly that earlier in the thread), so is staying at his tail and trying to bait a tail slam. Just remember that when he flies he is going to turn towards where you are, and the fire comes down in a circle from wherever his head ends up. Patience and playing it safe will win you the fight.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot: When you enter the fog door, based on where he starts, and where you start, if he decides his first attack is going to be flight you are completely hosed and there's nothing you can do about it. Get ready to run back. At least that was my experience.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Flytrap posted:

Man, these kitty pants are great for exploration.

Jester Set OP. :colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo that's right. He has one hidden in Tseldora.

Just buy the loving game. We debated that for 30 pages, stop it. :can: Its okay, the game is fun. Play it or don't.

If you liked DS1 you'll like this, if you didn't you won't. That simple. All changes are minor.

I'm not gonna look through a 343 page thread to find where it's discussed.

Are the items that you use to respawn the enemies finite?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Also backstory is a pretty integral storytelling mechanic. Roughly 99 percent of stories would be awful if you ignored backstory.

The key word there is "mechanic". Backstory is not story.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Royal Rat Authority was a real pain in the rear end. It must have taken 20 attempts. This boss is highly skippable - in fact, there's just not much reason to kill him at all, unless you really want Acid Surge. Plus, if you are already a Ratbro before you get there, the enemies in Pharros ignore you, and you can still talk to Rat King in Saints and he has the same inventory in both locations. I don't think I will be fighting that boss again in the future.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ From made all the more challenging/frustrating bosses either optional or gave you a bonfire right in front of them or both.

You definitely don't need to beat everything, so I think its actually good to have a few bosses that are a little harder. Most of this game I've just been plowing straight through, and I'm loving it, but hitting a wall and having to do it over and over to get better is both what makes the game so fulfilling and also drags out the playtime.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I agree with what you're saying but you also think B:I's narrative was better than B1's so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion of everything

Here's B1's entire story: Your plane crashes, you're trapped in underwater city with crazy people, and you have to get out. There's one HUGE plot twist in the middle, but that's really it for story, other than some people ask you to get some stuff before they let you go on to the next area. That's not really story. And the ending is entirely lackluster. But Bioshock 1 does have the best atmosphere (and yeah, backstory) of like anything ever made.

Infinite has all kinds of narrative hiccups, I'm not saying otherwise, but more poo poo happened. There was an actual constant narrative in infinite versus 1 where you just kinda wandered around in a spooky area. I'm not saying Infinite is better, calm down. Anyways, it was just an example, this is the DS thread so who cares.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2014

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Bonfire Ascetics can drop from enemies, so no. I'm not sure why anyone would want to farm them though, since you can obtain over 20 in a normal playthrough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Well you could just buy the game. Again, its not game-breaking, so move on. If you like Dark Souls you'll like this and one minor mechanic isn't going to change your mind. If you don't like Dark Souls than this one mechanic won't change your mind. You're over thinking it, which is what everybody else did before the game was released when everybody was freaking out.

In practice its barely even noticeable.

You can easily get like 20 ascetics in a run, but that doesn't even matter because you can always NG+, but that doesn't even matter because this is Dark Souls not pokemon or final fantasy.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure if they're finite, but their gimmick is they increase the difficulty of their area by one game cycle. So an area becomes NG+ after one use, and if you do NG+, that area will be NG++ and so on.

Honestly, I was skeptical and even angry about that change at first, but it hasn't really ended up affecting me at all. It's not what you're thinking it is, I assure you. At least if my own experience is any indication.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's B1's entire story: Your plane crashes, you're trapped in underwater city with crazy people, and you have to get out. There's one HUGE plot twist in the middle, but that's really it for story, other than some people ask you to get some stuff before they let you go on to the next area. That's not really story. And the ending is entirely lackluster. But Bioshock 1 does have the best atmosphere (and yeah, backstory) of like anything ever made.

Infinite has all kinds of narrative hiccups, I'm not saying otherwise, but more poo poo happened. There was an actual constant narrative in infinite versus 1 where you just kinda wandered around in a spooky area. I'm not saying Infinite is better, calm down. Anyways, it was just an example, this is the DS thread so who cares.

Here is the Lord of the Rings story, thusly condensed: a short man tries to do a thing but a bunch of hiccups happen along the way

A game's story isn't just condensed to the actions of the player character. Yeah, what 'you' do is barebones, not really explained, and ultimately obscure at the end of the game, but there's at least a dozen other characters who all have interesting storylines.

edit: I'm not actually a fan of 'minimalist storytelling' or whatever (I am too stupid) but Dark Souls 2 does it really well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Here is the Lord of the Rings story, thusly condensed: a short man tries to do a thing but a bunch of hiccups happen along the way

A game's story isn't just condensed to the actions of the player character. Yeah, what 'you' do is barebones, not really explained, and ultimately obscure at the end of the game, but there's at least a dozen other characters who all have interesting storylines.

I was about to say, well, yeah, but its mostly subtle details and backstory, not overt story that you yourself either observe or participate in. LOTR has an awful lot of direct explicit action with characters and consequences (mindless splicers dying over and over doesn't count) But I kinda forgot about the audio logs, they do present a pretty decent overt story as you're playing. Although some people ignore most of them, but if you do you miss out on the best part.

Anyways back to dark souls.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, agreed. :smith: And even Lautrec in DS1 felt kinda rushed, like they could have done more with that concept.

Despite all the questions we still have about Lautrec, the few actions we do get really does pull in the player. He's kind of creepy, but hey he's not such a bad guy! He helps out with the first wallstop boss, potentially helps again against a chump boss, and doles out some advice. Then poo poo goes down and you realize that it doesn't matter what previous favors he's done for you: This rear end in a top hat's gotta die.

Meanwhile, the equivalent in Dark Souls 2 is just: Well, this person is kind of a snide jerk. Okay. Time to kill her!

And I was really hoping there would be more to Pate/Creighton. Considering that the aftermath is the same no matter which one you choose, I was hoping they'd be the same soul split into two bodies, or something crazy like that.

Anyways, time to flush out my brain and start a new game where I actually manage to save the NPCs and not giantdad the entire game.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm gonna stop summoning phantoms until I've tried a boss a few times. Makes them way too easy! I've pretty much just steamrolled the last few, I think they'd be scary if I was by myself.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

hemale in pain posted:

I'm gonna stop summoning phantoms until I've tried a boss a few times. Makes them way too easy! I've pretty much just steamrolled the last few, I think they'd be scary if I was by myself.

It's hilarious when you finally figure out all of a boss's patterns and conquer it solo, decide it's time to help out some other people by dropping your summoning sign outside the door, and then realizing that nothing you learned applies at all in co-op. So many bosses behave completely differently with multiple targets, and trying to make sure everyone gets through the fight is the bigger task than actually beating the boss.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

inthesto posted:

It's hilarious when you finally figure out all of a boss's patterns and conquer it solo, decide it's time to help out some other people by dropping your summoning sign outside the door, and then realizing that nothing you learned applies at all in co-op. So many bosses behave completely differently with multiple targets, and trying to make sure everyone gets through the fight is the bigger task than actually beating the boss.

This is very true, I tried stunlocking the Ruin Sentinels, but it never worked at all. Works only on solo as far as I know.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

hemale in pain posted:

I feel like I am getting extremely poor luck when I summon people. Yesterday at the Lost Sinner the guy I summoned just stood outside the fog door while I proceeded to kill the boss. Another time, I was fighting the Ruin Sentinels and my two phantoms died before the first sentinel came close to dying. I'd say it's about 60% of the time that I summon people/get summoned by completely worthless/unskilled players.

ADP might just be my favorite thing in the whole world.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Wow, NG+ certainly doesn't gently caress around with red phantom placement. The dual-sickle ambush in the Copse was bad enough, then the extra knight captains in Iron Keep, including TWO inside the furnace just chilling, were fun to find. But nothing so far has compared to rounding the corner to Undead Purgatory and seeing that every single cultist-whatever on those pillars was red now. Also there's a sickle guy for good measure. And the phantom at the door respawns. :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I feel like I am getting extremely poor luck when I summon people. Yesterday at the Lost Sinner the guy I summoned just stood outside the fog door while I proceeded to kill the boss. Another time, I was fighting the Ruin Sentinels and my two phantoms died before the first sentinel came close to dying. I'd say it's about 60% of the time that I summon people/get summoned by completely worthless/unskilled players.

ADP might just be my favorite thing in the whole world.

Try to pick up sunbros. On average, they're better at co-op since that's the entire point of the covenant.

On my alternate sunbro character, I summoned up a pair of sunbros for a boss and it was over in a matter of seconds.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Ruin Sentinels are honestly pretty easy. You can't stunlock them in co-op but as long as you have a shield and save some stamina it's trivial. Once you kill the first, just push a phantom off or drop down yourself, distract one of them after the second jumps up, and wait.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bussamove posted:

Wow, NG+ certainly doesn't gently caress around with red phantom placement. The dual-sickle ambush in the Copse was bad enough, then the extra knight captains in Iron Keep, including TWO inside the furnace just chilling, were fun to find. But nothing so far has compared to rounding the corner to Undead Purgatory and seeing that every single cultist-whatever on those pillars was red now. Also there's a sickle guy for good measure. And the phantom at the door respawns. :v:

This sounds crazy. Reminds me of Demon's Souls when you can fight that horde of red dreglings in 1-1 all at once.

Duckforce Alpha
May 23, 2006
D:
How do I get those two big statues to light up in Drangleic Castle? I've cleared the room multiple times and only one has stood up.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Ruin Sentinels are honestly pretty easy. You can't stunlock them in co-op but as long as you have a shield and save some stamina it's trivial. Once you kill the first, just push a phantom off or drop down yourself, distract one of them after the second jumps up, and wait.

Yeah they are pretty much a joke. The only you can get really get killed by them is if you're using estus and one of them does that jump attack from across the room. Now THAT was a surprise.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Duckforce Alpha posted:

How do I get those two big statues to light up in Drangleic Castle? I've cleared the room multiple times and only one has stood up.

Kill enemies near them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my favorite part of dark souls 2 is having to strategically heal to keep my allies from running from me/juking my heals

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nice thing about the ancient dragon fight: your souls appear outside the fog door. :)

It really isn't a hard fight, but it's a roll of the dice when it does the aerial attack on how far it moves and what angle. Whoops, no safe zone in reach or it's off the platform. Start over.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 19, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Duckforce Alpha posted:

They run on skeleton soul power. You gotta murder somebody real close to em.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

inthesto posted:

Try to pick up sunbros. On average, they're better at co-op since that's the entire point of the covenant.

On my alternate sunbro character, I summoned up a pair of sunbros for a boss and it was over in a matter of seconds.

I was really happy when I ran into a sunbro outside the Skeleton Lords fight. Is it pretty easy to join them?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So if I used the Dragonrider Soul and wanted another one, Could I burn an asectic in the Heide Tower bonfire and fight him again for one?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I was really happy when I ran into a sunbro outside the Skeleton Lords fight. Is it pretty easy to join them?

You just need to find the covenant spot, which isn't too far after that fight.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So if I used the Dragonrider Soul and wanted another one, Could I burn an asectic in the Heide Tower bonfire and fight him again for one?

I believe you could.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Yeah they are pretty much a joke. The only you can get really get killed by them is if you're using estus and one of them does that jump attack from across the room. Now THAT was a surprise.

Don't forget they can pull a cap America and launch their shield. Now THAT surprised me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Meme Emulator posted:

Where does the mage trainer move to after No Mans Wharf? He said hed be in Majula but I cant find him.

Also, where the heck do I find Great Lightning Spear, I feel like I should have it by now (2/4 boss souls found)

If you're standing at the death monument looking back at the town, he'll be at the bottom of the stairs on the right, by a cliff. Your view might be blocked by some rocks, but he's before the blacksmith's house. There's a tree too.

Apparently the guy who trades you boss soul weapons will start selling glightning spear eventually but I haven't seen that. The other is pretty complicated:

Forgotten Key stuff:

In the Black Gulch, around where the two wall worms come out there's a hidden ledge on the right you can drop to... then you drop down again... then you fight some tough enemies and get the forgotten key. That key opens 1)the door right above where you first dropped to, which leads to the Pilgrims of Dark wheelchair guy 2)a door somewhere in the gutter which has Havel's armour. I found that door once before I had the key, can't find it again 3)If you take the longest ladder option down the well, there's a metal ladder on the same platform you end up at. Climb up and open the door for the spear, a hex and some strange staves and chimes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Bonfire asectics do respawn bosses, however the entire area is also increased by one playthroughs worth of difficulty.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't forget they can pull a cap America and launch their shield. Now THAT surprised me.

I saw them do that once. It shocked me.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Before I start my no-bonfire run, I want some advice so I don't totally gently caress it up this time: What places in the game can get you totally, irreparably stuck? I managed to destroy my save by taking the Pursuer shortcut to the Bastille and finding that there are gates everywhere that prevent me from returning to the rest of the world. I could continue on and beat the Lost Sinner, etc. but I don't think there's a way to leave this wing of the game.

Anywhere else I should watch out for?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even if you don't take the shortcut, how are you getting out of the Bastille/Sinner's Rise without warping? The boat is gone once it brings you there.

Another one to be careful of is not have the cleric turn the turnstile too early.

Bussamove posted:

Bonfire asectics do respawn bosses, however the entire area is also increased by one playthroughs worth of difficulty.

Does this carry over into your next game? Like if someone is on NG, and increases say the Bastille to NG+, will be NG++ when the player is on their NG+ run?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Man i have to admit beating the Skeleton Lords on NG+ on my first try with so many near screw ups felt really good. I forgot how satisfying victory is in these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a good Cleric shield (15 STR, the rest in FTH), if you've reached the second bonfires of Forest and Heide's?

• Locked thread