Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

ufarn posted:

What's a good Cleric shield (15 STR, the rest in FTH), if you've reached the second bonfires of Forest and Heide's?

The Large Leather Shield, one more STR point and you could wield the Drangleic Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Does this carry over into your next game? Like if someone is on NG, and increases say the Bastille to NG+, will be NG++ when the player is on their NG+ run?

Yes, it will apply to all subsequent playthroughs on that character.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Random Stranger posted:

I saw them do that once. It shocked me.

Also! They "lose" their shield and can't block, but they CAN materialize another shield to throw at you again, if you trigger that attack a second time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Two questions:

I'm bad at the game, what's a good covenant early on?

Is there a bonfire in no mans wharf closer to the ship? I don't want to fight all the mobs cause I'm bad at the game, everytime I want to atempt the boss.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

Two questions:

Is there a bonfire in no mans wharf closer to the ship? I don't want to fight all the mobs cause I'm bad at the game, everytime I want to atempt the boss.

Covenant of Champions, it's really useful.

As far as I know, none.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Alan Smithee posted:

Are you kidding me? Sif is a million times easier

then again we're not all dicksworders

I suppose I had so much trouble with Sif last time because I was doing him at SL1. But yeah I apologise for picking STR for the first time in a souls game, instead of my usual Dex. I'll do better next time!

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

VulgarandStupid posted:

Two questions:

No, but you can just run past the enemies, that's what I did. Head up to the upper level, drop down to the shortcut door and then just hoof it to the ship.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Boxn posted:

Seconding this.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Boxn posted:

As far as I know, none.

There's a certain spot that looks perfect for one that was probably cut because the area is already short enough aand you can just run past most enemies.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Two questions:

Light up the huge lantern so the huge arm monsters are running away. You can run past everything pretty much except 1-2 guys.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Apparently the guy who trades you boss soul weapons will start selling glightning spear eventually but I haven't seen that. The other is pretty complicated:

I'm 90% sure he starts selling his expanded inventory (along with the ore lady) after you kill Veldstat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

End game stuff:

For king vendrick I assume it's the giants souls that weaken him? I got three and fought him and it was ridiculously hard so I went back and found a fourth giant but I couldn't enter it's dreams? Is it that after you engage him then that's it for collecting the souls this play through or are there only three. Also I ended up sitting on the throne at the end of the game, is there another ending?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Alan Smithee posted:

RRA is a million times worse. I beat Sif like he was a Pinwheel

do please tell me how to get underneath this ugly piece of poo poo because nothing i do works.

Greatsword kills all the rats in like 1-2 swings so that part is not a problem, then he jumps a lot so he's in front of you. If you run or roll you can normally avoid his paw swipes and go in between his front legs. When he jumps (don't lock on) you can sometimes easily run to reposition yourself under him.
Adaptability about 25, roll in the direction his attacks come from, get lucky so he doesn't charge you (he did charge me the first time I tried, and I died)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Stux posted:

End game stuff:

There are five, one is from the two giants in Black Gulch, one is from the Ancient Dragon

vv Nope! That's not one. The ones that count go in a separate space in your inventory from the other souls.

superh fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 19, 2014

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

superh posted:

There are five, one is from the two giants in Black Gulch, one is from the Ancient Dragon

Does the one I got from Dragon Memory count?

Edit: Join the Pilgrim's Covenant. Immediately splooshed into a watery grave. :darksouls:

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 19, 2014

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Does anyone know if the sorcery Hidden Weapon goes on sale somewhere in higher NG+ levels? Trying to collect all the magic now and the wiki says this is only rewarded for rank two of Bell Keepers. Been a BK for like an hour and it's excruciating, at least at SL130. I'm hoping it's like the level 3 reward for Brotherhood of Blood and just needs to be NG4 or something.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Two questions:

There is no bonfire close to the ship. There is a shortcut you can unlock that will let go up the first set of stairs through a gate that will get you to the boss pretty quickly.

If you're having a ton of trouble, you can kill the enemies until they stop respawing.

You can light a lantern in the center of the map at the cost of a Pharos's stone. It gets rid of those irritating black monkey things.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just realized that in every souls game, literally every one, I've gone strength and swung big swords or clubs to victory. I don't think I've ever casted a spell in a souls game. I've never even done a dex build. I don't even know what the difference would be.

I guess I'll finally do something different on another character after I clear this one. Maybe dex? Like I said, I don't even know what would be different.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Anal Surgery posted:

Does the one I got from Dragon Memory count?
No, it's a separate soul entirely.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I feel like I am getting extremely poor luck when I summon people. Yesterday at the Lost Sinner the guy I summoned just stood outside the fog door while I proceeded to kill the boss. Another time, I was fighting the Ruin Sentinels and my two phantoms died before the first sentinel came close to dying. I'd say it's about 60% of the time that I summon people/get summoned by completely worthless/unskilled players.

ADP might just be my favorite thing in the whole world.

When I get summoned I always die really stupidly, I think you just can't help but care a little less because you won't lose anything so you take more risks. All I know is that I've been summoned twice for that chariot boss and both times got blocked by the player/necromancer before I could get into the hole! You'd think I would of learnt the fast time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So if you want to start at NG+7 you need to use six ascetics at every bonfire?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

poo poo, I'm having a lot of trouble with the suicide bombers in the Lost Bastille with my Strength Character, my only ranged weapons are the Crossbow and Throwing Knives, should I stay ranged?

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Woo! I finally beat (near endgame boss) King Vendrick .

I slowly hacked away with a +10 Flaming Mastodon Sword. It's not even like he has complicated attacks he just does so much damage and has so much health even with the Giant Souls, the margin for error is non existent.
Him and Smelter Demon are easily the hardest fights in the game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Astroduck posted:

Woo! I finally beat (near endgame boss) King Vendrick .

I slowly hacked away with a +10 Flaming Mastodon Sword. It's not even like he has complicated attacks he just does so much damage and has so much health even with the Giant Souls, the margin for error is non existent.
Him and Smelter Demon are easily the hardest fights in the game.

They also happen to be optional! :buddy:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

superh posted:

vv Nope! That's not one. The ones that count go in a separate space in your inventory from the other souls.

Where are they on BG I've searched all over.

edit: just found them nm

What's the key for? Can't think of anywhere to use it.

Stux fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2014

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I know I've been kind of a halberd detractor in this thread, but I've been converted to the cause by the Black Knight Halberd. I'm statted funky right now (30 str, 37 dex, default int/faith) and have found that it both scales well to dex/str, has crazy high base damage, uses less stamina than most of the crazy large weapons like ultragreatswords and greataxes. The fire damage on top of all that is just a bonus. I've upgraded it to +4 so far and I'm clowning everything in UP and DC with it.

In any case, I'm hoping to beat my first run tonight and start on my next character, probably a explorer turned magic user. I'll have the DLC staff but if it's like all the other DLC weapons it'll be kind of poo poo. When's the soonest you get a caster's staff?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Boxn posted:

poo poo, I'm having a lot of trouble with the suicide bombers in the Lost Bastille with my Strength Character, my only ranged weapons are the Crossbow and Throwing Knives, should I stay ranged?

Just roll away when they belly flop. Kill them one at a time if you can. If you're strength, you should be using something that kills them in one or two hits, probably the standard club. They're seriously pushovers if you don't panic and dodge their explosion.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Boxn posted:

Time it right and use a large strength weapon. They die before they explode. I was using the greatsword.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mr. Kurtz posted:

There is no bonfire close to the ship. There is a shortcut you can unlock that will let go up the first set of stairs through a gate that will get you to the boss pretty quickly.

I'd wondered about that. Does it have anything to do with the weird contraption near NPC:Carillion? How do you interact with that?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

I'd wondered about that. Does it have anything to do with the weird contraption near NPC:Carillion? How do you interact with that?

It's a switch near the top of the wharf. That thing near that NPC is seriously mysterious but as far as I know you can't use it. I thought for sure it had an estus shard at the end of the rope or something.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Boxn posted:

If you can kill them in one whack (and if you can't, you're not STR building right), just run right at them and kill them before they flop in front of you. It's a weird case where aggression needs to be met by superior aggresion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Emron posted:

Just roll away when they belly flop. Kill them one at a time if you can. If you're strength, you should be using something that kills them in one or two hits, probably the standard club. They're seriously pushovers if you don't panic and dodge their explosion.

The problem with that "roll away" idea is that they jump forward at the same rate as you roll backward. When your roll is over and you're no longer invincible you're still inside the explosion, at which point you go flying, then stand up just in time to get exploded again, and repeat until you're dead.

You have to be proactive with those guys. Step into them and swing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Emron posted:

It's a switch near the top of the wharf. That thing near that NPC is seriously mysterious but as far as I know you can't use it. I thought for sure it had an estus shard at the end of the rope or something.

:psyduck: Incredible. Okay, well, I ran past the switch the ring the bell in that area twice, so I'm not that surprised I missed the one on the wharf.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The problem with that "roll away" idea is that they jump forward at the same rate as you roll backward. When your roll is over and you're no longer invincible you're still inside the explosion, at which point you go flying, then stand up just in time to get exploded again, and repeat until you're dead.

You have to be proactive with those guys. Step into them and swing.

I have literally never had that happen. I think you're rolling too soon. It's the explosion you want to dodge, not the flop! Bait the flop which you just walk away from, roll in any direction through the explosion, kill zombie, repeat as needed.

Edit: that said, yes, aggression works best on them!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aha, ancient dragon, I read your book! You've got a tell! It's not perfect, there's still positioning issues and I was stupid about that last foot stomp but you're a dead lizard walking now.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

If push comes to shove you can also unlock and roll towards them. Combined with them heading in the opposite direction you'll outrange the explosion.

Unlocking is generally a useful tactic, especially for bigger enemies.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Basically the trick to all Souls combat is to not panic. If you stay calm, you generally will win.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
You know what's fun in an invasion? How I lost my skill at doing the forward R2 jump attack and instead whiff the regular one 4 times in a row.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Ancient Dragon can't really be any harder than the run leading up to him.

That final set of enemies is probably the hardest gauntlet of any Souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

At least the fire explosion guys down the well have the decency to kill themselves.

Just wait until later when you run into the durability-damaging acid bodyslammers.

• Locked thread