Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'd like to see them do a 'city of the future' GTA, I think it would be really interesting to see what they come up with.

Either that or another London.

I'm waiting for them to do some sort of Bladrunner-esque type clothes and hair, maybe a car or plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I played GTA 2, and I never got that vibe from it. Although now I think on it, maybe I didn't play GTA 2 and just thought I did...

I think it would be interesting to see in the newer HD engines, although I maybe meant kind of retro-futuristic. Like the Jetsons.

It's more like that's the vibe I got out of the concept art. The game itself doesn't do such a great job of demonstrating its influences :shobon:

The cop cars for instance are supposed to look like this:

Which top-down turned into this:

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

circ dick soleil posted:

It would have worked if it had cool melee fighting like Sleeping Dogs, just saying.

I would've been utterly fine with this.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's strange to think about a new version of GTA2. On one hand it probably doesn't fit what the franchise now is, but on the other it did have a surprising amount of character. Maybe, in an ideal world where all fantasy projects were made and released, it just wouldn't be a GTA game (though maybe Trevor would benefit from the farting/burping feature). On that note, what happened to those rumours of a non-GTA Rockstar London game? I don't follow gaming news but I'd almost definitely be down for that. Heck, in a particularly nerdy move, I've thought about the sort of music such a game might have. It's weird, I remember people were criticising V's soundtrack before the game even came out (leaks?) because of the lack of brand new material for a game set in 2013... but here in Britain, most radio stations I know play predominantly older music for various reasons. Pop stations play, largely, a mixture of '80s and '90s stuff, and even more contemporary-minded dance stations still play stuff like Freemasons' 'Love on my Mind' frequently (which was in Gay Tony so it likely won't appear again, but it's still nearly nine years old).

Maybe I'll make some mock-playlists for Not-GTA: London when I have some downtime (not likely to happen soon). We could spread them around and start some playground rumours about THE CONFIRMED LONDON GTA!

I have all three (is there more?) of the content updates for V - because they're free, so why not - but it's still a bummer that the clothes and stuff aren't available offline. :(

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It always bothered me that London is still just London in the GTA universe, when every other city has a different name. It was kinda cute in TBoGT when Luis mentions going and Tony exasperatedly tells him that the trip has cancelled for some time now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pity Rockstar seem to have abandoned the period pieces because GTA set in 1960s San Fierro would be great. Drug deals, the Lost as security for a free concert, fantastic music.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

People outside the US only really know the character of New York & LA; Miami, Texas, Detroit and San Francisco to a lesser extent, and possibly also Seattle, New Orleans or Boston. Vegas, people know about the strip but not much else.

GTA 4&5 worked well to me because they play on well known stereotypes of those cities that the whole world can appreciate - I recognised the style of venice/vespucci beach from being a fan of the Tony Hawks games. I recognised so many perfectly replicated spots from shows set in NY on GTA 4. I still recognise places from Vice City in CSI Miami, especially every time they do a flyover shot of the beachfront hotels.

Sidenote: If not London for the next game, I want to go back to 80s Vice City and have a whole questline with a Horatio Cane ripoff.

I can't help but feel like they only work because of how well known the stereotypes are; like the jokes they could get from a game set in SF could all be transplanted to Vespucci or Mirror Park, Detroit jokes mostly work in south central, and they got most of the Texas jokes into the Weasel News and Blaine County bits anyway.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 19, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pity Rockstar seem to have abandoned the period pieces because GTA set in 1960s San Fierro would be great. Drug deals, the Lost as security for a free concert, fantastic music.

If they never do a 60s or 70s era GTA game I will be royally pissed. It's almost too perfect, it practically writes itself!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

precision posted:

If they never do a 60s or 70s era GTA game I will be royally pissed. It's almost too perfect, it practically writes itself!

I would play the ever loving poo poo out of a 60's GTA game. I don't even care what city it's in. Hell put it in Moscow.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I can't tell if you guys just aren't aware of GTA London '69 and GTA London '61, or are just asking for remakes of those games in the GTA V engine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Promoted Pawn posted:

I can't tell if you guys just aren't aware of GTA London '69 and GTA London '61, or are just asking for remakes of those games in the GTA V engine.

I think it's safe to say when people request a GTA game nowadays they don't mean the old top down style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

I think it's safe to say when people request a GTA game nowadays they don't mean the old top down style.

Yes, exactly. Though to be fair, Chinatown Wars is one of the best GTAs ever made.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Promoted Pawn posted:

London was fun for a bit, but I'd love to see R*'s satire targetted at British life. Hell they've probably got the engine capacity to do a mini UK now, complete with Landan, Scotland, Oireland and a bunch of Geordies kicking about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bobby Deluxe posted:

London was fun for a bit, but I'd love to see R*'s satire targetted at British life. Hell they've probably got the engine capacity to do a mini UK now, complete with Landan, Scotland, Oireland and a bunch of Geordies kicking about.

I would love to see a game set in the UK in the Factory Records club scene era. Set it in Manchester, do jobs running drugs for "Tawny Wolsson", work security at Happy Mondays shows, add in some IRA and This Is England style material, Bob's your uncle.

Probably an enormously niche idea but I don't care, I want it. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Set it in the 80's during life in the Miner's Strike with a brother on the Police Force.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

It always bothered me that London is still just London in the GTA universe, when every other city has a different name. It was kinda cute in TBoGT when Luis mentions going and Tony exasperatedly tells him that the trip has cancelled for some time now.
GTA V mentions a lot of real world cities. I think the rule has now become that the rest of the world is generally as is. It's just the US that is a weird parody of itself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was a little disappointed they didn't mention the Australian war in V, or at least I didn't notice it.

And yeah, 90s England would be an amazing setting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was a little disappointed they didn't mention the Australian war in V, or at least I didn't notice it.

And yeah, 90s England would be an amazing setting.
I can't tell you where, but there was definitely a mention on a website I think.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sidenote: If not London for the next game, I want to go back to 80s Vice City and have a whole questline with a Horatio Cane ripoff.

I'd love more 80s Vice city action. Thought be would be cool for a play on words or a spoof side job of Hotline Miami where you're called to kill some Russian Mob guys. I like the idea of mixing them so much I made my GTA crew Hotline Vice.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Das_Bass posted:

I'd love more 80s Vice city action. Thought be would be cool for a play on words or a spoof side job of Hotline Miami where you're called to kill some Russian Mob guys. I like the idea of mixing them so much I made my GTA crew Hotline Vice.

Between Vice City and Vice City Stories, I'm so done with 80's Miami GTA, even though Vice City was my favorite GTA of the PS2 era.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Promoted Pawn posted:

Between Vice City and Vice City Stories, I'm so done with 80's Miami GTA, even though Vice City was my favorite GTA of the PS2 era.

Yeah I wouldn't want another 80s romp unless it was specifically focused on things that aren't glitzy and "typical 80s". Like, if you're gonna go back to the 80s, focus on Cold War paranoia and cram it full of political punk and weird New Wave music and Russian spies and poo poo. Have a mission where you hijack a cosmonaut mission. First GTA on the moon!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vice City took place 16 years in the past. San Andreas was 12 years in the past. Both were clearly playing to the nostalgia of the time. I Love The 80s premiered on VH1 a couple months later and there was an overall revival in interest in the 80s around that time. I don't know that Rockstar would do another 80s GTA now that 1984 was 30 years ago.

I bet they could do a lot with a game set in 1999. Y2K, everyone finally caring about the internet, and the music was pretty memorable and unique to the era. I can just imagine what they could come up with for the in-game websites.

I really can't see Rockstar doing another period piece though; at least not for a "major" GTA game.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I still want a weird rear end R* game with a time machine that puts John Marston in Liberty City or San Andreas. Just the commentry of things he sees would be great. Also throwing someone like Trevor back to the Red Dead days would be amazing. Max Payne in Vice city in the 80's with his booze problem.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah I wouldn't want another 80s romp unless it was specifically focused on things that aren't glitzy and "typical 80s". Like, if you're gonna go back to the 80s, focus on Cold War paranoia and cram it full of political punk and weird New Wave music and Russian spies and poo poo.
That's why it really should be set in Berlin if anything.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Right now I'd settle for some more single player in the current game. You promised us details of the single player DLC with the business update R* :(

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like an '80s GTA set in London would be different enough to Vice City. It's not a glamorous, or even faux-glamorous, setting at all. It's a paranoid place fuelled by class warfare, and politics playing to some real scary far-right sensibilities while Threads feels like it's right around the corner. With all that in mind though, it's still a place that can laugh at itself judging by the huge wealth of comedy it produced and continues to produce, so it would probably fit GTA. That said though, it's a fairly exhausted mine (har har) on top of the then-contemporary stuff as varied as The Long Good Friday, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover as well as slightly later stuff like Cracker, and then the endless list of current/last decade hindsight stuff like This is England.

But that's why I think present day London would be good to look at in the GTA way. Because for all the fighting, the new governments still won, telling people indirectly that they don't care about them and using 'You Can Get It If You Really Want' from The Harder They Come in election campaigns without any irony. A good deal of the factories are closed. Top-line football games cost £60 a ticket. The south bank of the Thames went from this to this. We have the new St Pancras station and Trellick Tower. We're culturally diverse in a pretty wonderful way. Right-wing newspapers think we're going to Hell in a handcart, while left-wing newspapers are asking where exactly do you get rent boys at this hour in Knightsbridge.

And I want to drive on the wrong side of the Strand, with Roll Deep's 'Good Times' playing on a radio station hosted by stereotypical party rockers. Then maybe make some flying rat jokes about Trafalgar Square, idk.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bobtista posted:

Right now I'd settle for some more single player in the current game. You promised us details of the single player DLC with the business update R* :(

They gave them us? It's a couple of new assassination missions and a few races.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If I was in charge of making the moneys I would do a next-gen update with an exclusive add-on that opens up Mexico, adds horses and a bunch of oldies vehicles and sends Trevor on basically the same plot as the Mexico season of Eastbound and Down. With drug selling instead of baseball. Works as stealth tests for the next Red Dead obviously.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

They gave them us? It's a couple of new assassination missions and a few races.

That's not really details, that's barely more informative than "It's coming".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well this is the same company that had us hanging for a year on a logo that was 80% logo we've been looking at for a decade.

And I don't think that little mention they did was actually about "DLC" per se, it seemed more like they were mentioning some free stuff that's coming along with some of the online packs in the same way that you end up with new cars and guns in SP after the packs come out. Things that are just barely worth downloading on their own, much less pay for.

That's how I took it anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bobtista posted:

That's not really details, that's barely more informative than "It's coming".

It's a pretty good hint that they won't be worth getting excited for.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobtista posted:

They also promised online folks news on the heists, and the news turned out to be 'they will be heists, now look at these terrible suits'

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

precision posted:

Yes, exactly. Though to be fair, Chinatown Wars is one of the best GTAs ever made.

Sucks this didn't have Chinatown's drug dealing mini game :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Capn Beeb posted:

Sucks this didn't have Chinatown's drug dealing mini game

I find it kind of hilarious that the GTA game which mentions the most specific, real world drugs is the one made for a Nintendo system. "GOD MOM, JUST A SECOND, I'M TRADING ECSTASY FOR COCAINE!!!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is it just me or is the new plane they added with the business pack look exactly like a US attack drone plane?

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Not really? Predators have that bulb on the front end and the two tail fins are at the bottom.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I finished this on Tuesday and really enjoyed it/am enjoying playing the post storyline stuff. I thought it was weird that you had the option to kill Michael and/or Trevor, it didn't make a lot of sense to me at that part of the story. I'd been spoiled on it but I had expected it to be during one of the heists.

Is there any word on stuff like The Lost and the Damned or Ballad of Gay Tony?

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Mexcillent posted:

Is there any word on stuff like The Lost and the Damned or Ballad of Gay Tony?

Nothing outside of 'single player DLC is coming'

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well that's just great. I spent thousands upgrading my new car, turned my back on it, and it despawned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Did patch 1.11 add anything to the single player game aside from the heavy pistol? Now that I'm getting to the end of the fuckfest that is GTAIV (Seriously, why was Alderney even included? Does anything entertaining actually happen there?) I'm thinking of diving back into GTAV and finally finishing those drat Epsilon missions.

pisshead posted:

Well that's just great. I spent thousands upgrading my new car, turned my back on it, and it despawned.

Never waste money on anything but the four player vehicles. It will vanish or be destroyed within about five minutes with zero exceptions.

• Locked thread