Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nenonen posted:

Also as a non-religious person I'd prefer if cartoonists dumped this imagery altogether. Portray dead people as dead people, not as if they have gone to la-la land.

I'm an atheist too, but what's the alternative? Afterlife-stories are all about expressing your judgment of someone who's died, and that's also what this sub-sub-genre of cartoons is going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nenonen posted:

These "Phelps going to Hell" cartoons make me feel a little uneasy... I had and have no sympathy for the crazy gently caress other than what sympathy I have for insane people that are hurting others in general, but "famous person at Pearly Gates/burning in Hell" cartoons just are so tasteless, as best demonstrated by Stan Kelly.

Also as a non-religious person I'd prefer if cartoonists dumped this imagery altogether. Portray dead people as dead people, not as if they have gone to la-la land.

Saying that people you don't like are in hell has a long history. It's in Dante's Inferno, and that's a literary classic. Can't argue with tradition.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

prefect posted:

Saying that people you don't like are in hell has a long history. It's in Dante's Inferno, and that's a literary classic. Can't argue with tradition.

Damning people you disagree with the hell and putting your creepy childhood crush TRUE LOVED ONES in heaven is 90% of The Divine Comedy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Damning people you disagree with the hell and putting your creepy childhood crush TRUE LOVED ONES in heaven is 90% of The Divine Comedy.

There's another 10%?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's another 10%?

Getting to meet and chill with all your favorite artists and poets.

Man, The Divine Comedy really is the ultimate fan fiction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is nothing inconsistent with Phelps being a civil rights lawyers and being the leader of a gay hate church.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

onecooldana posted:

Proud leftie here and I am terribly offended that Branco is erasing and marginalizing my identity.

Trigger warning: sinister erasure

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm an atheist too, but what's the alternative? Afterlife-stories are all about expressing your judgment of someone who's died, and that's also what this sub-sub-genre of cartoons is going for.

You can just, you know, piss on the grave. Or have this opposite to his (former) ministry!

In any case fairytale revenge stories about a crazy dead guy burning in an eternal fire just feels a bit outdated to me, just like the crazy old guy's fairytale punishment stories about all gays burning in that eternal fire. I guess I just find this whole pearly gates genre awkward and hackey, like 99% of editorial cartoons in general...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I need an example of irony for a class I'm taking. Has Kelly ever done a "If global warming, why cold :smug:" cartoon?

If not, I'll settle for another Kelly, it's not a big deal.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I remember correctly, Phelps' "congregation" was nothing more than his children/nieces & nephews who bought into his bullshit and bought houses around one another.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHERMOTHERMOTHER MOOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR

Mister Beeg posted:

The Fred Phelps obit cartoons are coming in. Here's one from Mike Luckovich

That's probably the best caricature of Phelps ever.

:stare: He looks like the judge from Paranorman.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
http://ifglobalwarmingisrealwhyisitcold.tumblr.com/

:shrek:

Edit: Holy christ political cartoonists love the "ship full of climate scientists stuck in ice" analogy don't they

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 21, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's meant to make a point. He spent years claiming that he was doing God's work, all the while ignoring all of his teachings, and twisting and perverting the word of God.

He claimed lip service to God, but pushed hate, persecution and bigotry based on his own opinions.

The Bible is pretty clear that false teachers and prophets don't serve God, but themselves - remember what Jesus said: "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves". Seems fitting.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

copy posted:

I couldn't agree more.

The shirt is what sells it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The real gem is that its from "Alabama Media Group" :allears:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

double nine posted:

Not happening. No way, anti-nuclear sentiment is too enriched.

:haw:

Okay, what? 9/11 Trutherism is equivalent to saying that Flight 370 being hijacked for its cargo or to be used as a weapon is hijacked?

So (!A⇒(!B∨!C)) ⇔ (A⇒(B∨C)), implying "The Twin Towers could have been brought down by jetliners, therefore flight 370 was hijacked for its cargo or it was hijacked to be used as a (delivery system for a?) weapon on the day we assassinated Bin Laden."

That's quite a logical leap there.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Farecoal posted:

http://ifglobalwarmingisrealwhyisitcold.tumblr.com/

:shrek:

Edit: Holy christ political cartoonists love the "ship full of climate scientists stuck in ice" analogy don't they

Can't...look...away...

The science checks out.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I need an example of irony for a class I'm taking. Has Kelly ever done a "If global warming, why cold :smug:" cartoon?

If not, I'll settle for another Kelly, it's not a big deal.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Erdogan :argh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

IT'S poo poo!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That crow is amazing :3:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

I admit I'm kind of amused by the idea of Founding Fathers as modern teenagers, but the premise for that joke (that American democracy is the "only" "young" idea) makes absolutely no loving sense.

/edit Also, I think we can add "chirp" alongside "Roosevelts" in the Muir WTF lexicon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who ever heard of a racist white crow? Now I be done seen most everything!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
The most accurate political cartoon about flight 370:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MisterBadIdea posted:

I admit I'm kind of amused by the idea of Founding Fathers as modern teenagers, but the premise for that joke (that American democracy is the "only" "young" idea) makes absolutely no loving sense.

/edit Also, I think we can add "chirp" alongside "Roosevelts" in the Muir WTF lexicon.

"Chirped"???

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MisterBadIdea posted:

"America is the youngest ideal" - the man who said Marxism was 166 years old just the other day.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Check it out, Muir left the date off this one entirely

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh god I looked too closely at the fist on the left in the last panel and now I'm completely confused what that misshapen mass could actually be.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Wales Grey posted:

Why is the plane in Albania?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

Government should serve the people? Like, government should provide care and help when its citizens are in need of it? Also does Muir not know how old America is?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MisterBadIdea posted:

Those fists :stonk:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

twoday posted:

Why is the plane in Albania?

Clearly Albania is the real double secret Illuminati HQ and Area 51 is just a front :tinfoil:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FaradayCage posted:

Can't...look...away...

The science checks out.

:bang:

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Wales Grey posted:

Uh, wasn't Putin a good guy, DeesDeeMs?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Another Phelps cartoon.

I don't believe in forgiveness if one doesn't deserve it, but I'm not a Christian.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

MisterBadIdea posted:

Fist bump? Sounds like terrorists to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

Fist bump? Sounds like terrorists to me.

I think if you look back into the early stages of the madness surrounding Obama, you'd find that the proper term is "terrorist fist jab" :colbert:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Speaking of madness...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

FaradayCage posted:

Can't...look...away...

The science checks out.

On another note, I realized we hadn't had a ratland in a while, so I went to go check and the last political cartoon he did was back in February!

He's still alive though, I checked his facebook page and he's still drawing things, just not for aaec at the moment?

• Locked thread