Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

turboraton posted:

I finally saw this in action, looks amazing!

"I bet magic did this :mad:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Minorkos posted:

Perhaps I'm mistaken but there might be a slight difference between having your fantasy Japanese guy yell the same thing real life Japanese soldiers yelled when they were commanded to throw themselves into gunfire to die because their superiors figured it was better than experiencing defeat and having your fantasy Chinese guy fly around while a faint jingle of a Chinese musical sting plays in the background.

Honestly I'd be more upset about Bristleback's accent

Drunken Master from HoN :p

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
I've run into a rash of people who freak the gently caress out when they don't get captain and throw the entire game from minute 1 on purpose because of "bad drafts" when they are fine drafts, gently caress even if the drafts are terrible it's no reason to give up and feed on purpose and troll all game. It's getting really annoying, I feel like I'm stuck in ranked solo q because I'll win 1 or 2, maybe lose 1 or 2 due to real reasons, then get rear end in a top hat on my team that chooses to throw and end up going negative for the day or break even at the very best.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ZionestLord posted:

I've run into a rash of people who freak the gently caress out when they don't get captain and throw the entire game from minute 1 on purpose because of "bad drafts" when they are fine drafts, gently caress even if the drafts are terrible it's no reason to give up and feed on purpose and troll all game. It's getting really annoying, I feel like I'm stuck in ranked solo q because I'll win 1 or 2, maybe lose 1 or 2 due to real reasons, then get rear end in a top hat on my team that chooses to throw and end up going negative for the day or break even at the very best.

Get better and win those 1-2 you lost for real reasons. You are winning just as many games because of the other team having a troll that you are losing because of your team having a troll.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Firebatgyro posted:

You are winning just as many games because of the other team having a troll that you are losing because of your team having a troll.

Sometimes I get the impression that it's the only reason I win. No I don't want to report your mid, I think he did ok, can I please win a lane once instead of being told that the other guy lost it every single time? :smith:

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 21, 2014

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Elman posted:

Sometimes I get the impression that it's the only reason I win. No I don't want to report your mid, I think he did ok, can I please win a lane once instead of being told that the other guy lost it every single time? :smith:

Lanes aren't won they are lost by idiot feeders, and sometimes you manage to be slightly less of an idiot feeder than the other guy. Happy Dota-ing! :)

Really though sometimes people lose lanes and it's weird that some people expect all their lanes to win every game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BasicBitch posted:

Silly? Dota 2 is one of the most brutal games out there. Check out some of these rapey slark quotes:

"Wriggle, wriggle, little fish."

"There's no escape."

"On your belly and crawl."

" Dark Reef Rising!"

" Slark had his way with you."

hosed up man.

Funny that he's a huge virgin:

"But I hadn't spawned yet!"

Slark confirmed for teen goon.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Well I just had 2 of the most terrible games of dota.

The first I wanted to be skywrath, but someone picked SF so I figure hey no biggie I'll just be clock, so I pick him, then our team almost instantly all grab: Sniper, Troll Warlord and then to round of the trifecta of poo poo ideas we had a PL. Needless to say we lost, against a brood, DP, AM, SD and pudge. I did my best to support but with that many carries and one as useless as Sniper just getting obliterated the moment I left the lane didn't make for a good team. Plus troll and PL against DP and BM isn't a great lane so we lost our T1 fairly quickly.

Then the next we had a randomed clock and a picked Chen, so I pick sky and figure wahey they picked Chen gotta be competent. Nope. Think we had 1 set of wards bought the entire game? I could've bought some but the clockwerk was just winding me up so much I sorta forgot it was an issue. Our clock kept whining about "no gank" when their Shadow Shaman / CM lane were just constantly tower hugging, clock never left his lovely lane to gank, easiest kills in the world on the mid kunkka but god forbid he move, just kept saying "sky no gank t.t" and then we lost because nothing really happened and ss/lycan can kinda kill towers quickly, especially with a dark seer and kunkka.

EZ -50 mmr.

All I wanted to do was just have fun and play skywrath again.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Could someone talk to me about Storm Spirit? I know how he works in principle, I've played a few games (only won one of them), and I love the feeling of playing him lategame when he has a bunch of mana regen, zipping and zapping all over the place, but his early game seems really choppy to me.

He is a mid ganker, and I like mid gankers, but his ganking seems weak compared to other mids like Night Stalker or Lina or Invoker (or anyone else I play). He can jump on people at lv6 but pretty much has to go back to pool again after that unless he gets lucky with runes. His lane presence is good with cheap Remnants and Overcharge, but his burst isn't high enough to solo gank until he gets his Orchid, which can take a while if you aren't getting gank kills on the sidelane. It seems his early ganks rely on burst damage from your other teammates - is that the case, or am I doing it wrong?

I know the ult-hit-vortex-hit-remnant-hit combo, which is reliable to land but doesn't do enough to kill unless you have additional mana to chase with your ult. Should I be sitting mid and farming my Orchid for 10-15 minutes? That seems like a very different playstyle to most mid gankers, who like to have loads of game impact early on and create space for the team. Help a brother out?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Boing posted:

Could someone talk to me about Storm Spirit? I know how he works in principle, I've played a few games (only won one of them), and I love the feeling of playing him lategame when he has a bunch of mana regen, zipping and zapping all over the place, but his early game seems really choppy to me.

He is a mid ganker, and I like mid gankers, but his ganking seems weak compared to other mids like Night Stalker or Lina or Invoker (or anyone else I play). He can jump on people at lv6 but pretty much has to go back to pool again after that unless he gets lucky with runes. His lane presence is good with cheap Remnants and Overcharge, but his burst isn't high enough to solo gank until he gets his Orchid, which can take a while if you aren't getting gank kills on the sidelane. It seems his early ganks rely on burst damage from your other teammates - is that the case, or am I doing it wrong?

I know the ult-hit-vortex-hit-remnant-hit combo, which is reliable to land but doesn't do enough to kill unless you have additional mana to chase with your ult. Should I be sitting mid and farming my Orchid for 10-15 minutes? That seems like a very different playstyle to most mid gankers, who like to have loads of game impact early on and create space for the team. Help a brother out?

Early game SS is very reliant on good bottle/rune control since he's so mana dependent. Get a bottle and use it sparingly, gank a few times until you can afford an orchid then go to town.

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

Balobam posted:

Well I just had 2 of the most terrible games of dota.

The first I wanted to be skywrath, but someone picked SF so I figure hey no biggie I'll just be clock, so I pick him, then our team almost instantly all grab: Sniper, Troll Warlord and then to round of the trifecta of poo poo ideas we had a PL. Needless to say we lost, against a brood, DP, AM, SD and pudge. I did my best to support but with that many carries and one as useless as Sniper just getting obliterated the moment I left the lane didn't make for a good team. Plus troll and PL against DP and BM isn't a great lane so we lost our T1 fairly quickly.

Then the next we had a randomed clock and a picked Chen, so I pick sky and figure wahey they picked Chen gotta be competent. Nope. Think we had 1 set of wards bought the entire game? I could've bought some but the clockwerk was just winding me up so much I sorta forgot it was an issue. Our clock kept whining about "no gank" when their Shadow Shaman / CM lane were just constantly tower hugging, clock never left his lovely lane to gank, easiest kills in the world on the mid kunkka but god forbid he move, just kept saying "sky no gank t.t" and then we lost because nothing really happened and ss/lycan can kinda kill towers quickly, especially with a dark seer and kunkka.

EZ -50 mmr.

All I wanted to do was just have fun and play skywrath again.

My last two games (took a 4 day break since) involved players intentionally throwing because they didn't get to play the carry in a captain's draft game. Realistically, this will happen a certain fraction of the time and you cannot really do anything about it except take a break and do other things rather than double up and keep playing when you'll be in a really irritable mood.

When someone decides to hardcore feed and just repeatedly walks down middle to suicide, or goes to every lane and intentionally fights your carry for last hits, the best thing you can do is just report that player, mute him, then shift-right click the jungle to avoid getting an afk leave.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

If you're doing well in your lane, abuse that fact and stay there and get the poo poo you need, only leave your lane if you find a good rune that'll aid some killing, like a haste, invis or DD. Storms burst is more than enough to deal with most supports in the sidelanes, or if they have a solo offlane who's a little too far away from their tower you can jump on them giving the supports in lane time to close the gap. But more often than not you should just aim to farm up a fast orchid, I like getting treads first since he's squishy and they're nice things to have, but you could try rushing the orchid! You should just keep a TP on you and watch the other lanes and if you see someone getting gone on then TP in, get closer and jump and you should be able to turn it around, same if anyone dives, storm is a really bad person to dive against since he has slows, nukes and a disable and he can also just get away if it actually gets a little scary meaning it's relatively low risk for you.

If your lane is going horribly though then just try to gank as much as you can, got to make up lost ground somehow and he can definitely as soon as he hits 6, it's just safer to get the orchid up and running before doing that, but if you don't have a say in the matter it can still work out, plus you'll be creating space for whoever else.

It, much like a lot of mids, is just about knowing when to go and seeing opportunities, a lot of people I watch will head towards a lane, get spotted by a ward so everyone just backs off, then hang around there for like 30 seconds before deciding maybe they have vision. Either buy a smoke, go the long way, use a rune or do it when they're out of position. If you see them backing off as you approach and you know there's no way you can close that gap in time, or you could but the others in lane are too far even with your tether, then just leave. Unless you can solo kill it, like a veno or CM.

Also don't dive silences without like a haste.

Plus he can jungle really easily with a few levels, try to stack the large camp whenever you can, say the creepwave is at the enemy tower and you have no wards and you think people might be ganking, just go stack the camp or kill it.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

iFederico posted:

My last two games (took a 4 day break since) involved players intentionally throwing because they didn't get to play the carry in a captain's draft game. Realistically, this will happen a certain fraction of the time and you cannot really do anything about it except take a break and do other things rather than double up and keep playing when you'll be in a really irritable mood.

When someone decides to hardcore feed and just repeatedly walks down middle to suicide, or goes to every lane and intentionally fights your carry for last hits, the best thing you can do is just report that player, mute him, then shift-right click the jungle to avoid getting an afk leave.

I wish sky could afk click the jungle without getting minced, or that brood didn't live in ours.

I think my mistake was going into it for fun and not expecting the usual shitshow I got so used to.

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

Balobam posted:

I wish sky could afk click the jungle without getting minced, or that brood didn't live in ours.

I think my mistake was going into it for fun and not expecting the usual shitshow I got so used to.

In practice, the actual fraction of your games that will be ruined by complete assholes is probably not that high - maybe around 10%? It also really depends on the time and the servers you queue on. For example EU-West tends to have much better games later in the evening when younger players will be asleep.

Even so, sometimes you have completely toxic players with you several games in a row, and you cannot really do anything about it except hit report, and accept that your next 30 minutes will be completely unenjoyable. Just wait for the enemy team to push in, afk as much as you can without getting a leave, and then take a break and do something else.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
EUWest blows after midnight because half the population seems to turn into pumpkins.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

killstealing posted:

EUWest blows after midnight because half the population seems to turn into pumpkins.
Daytime EU-West is the most special of special things; I heartily reccomend it to experience the delight of watching 5 people with no common language whatsoever trade abuse with each other. Oddly, because your working population is at home in the evenings, evening EU-West is remarkably civil by comparison.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Maybe that's the issue, I don't normally play in the day but was up early and am being unproductive. And it is EUW...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

killstealing posted:

I wonder what part of it is just people from eastern Europe/Russia doing badly cause they're playing way too late. I know when I occasionally play after midnight (really bad idea) I go to USE because I know late night EU games tend to suck, but even if I'm not feeling tired at the time I might end up playing noticeably worse as my reflexes/attention may not be as great.

Maybe the US are full of people whining about those goddamn sleep-deprived europeans who can't play for poo poo :haw:

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 21, 2014

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

Elman posted:

I wonder what part of it is just people from eastern Europe/Russia doing badly cause they're playing way too late.

I think it's a combination of:

1 - Language barriers making communication difficult

2 - Russian players are significantly younger than players from other countries (this was from a Purge video, iirc)

3 - Positive feedback loops. Once Russian players are singled out for abuse, they'll react by behaving abusively, therefore justifying the abuse in the first place.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
As someone with Russian and Ukranian relatives

trust me

they're all as bad as people say they are. I have great-aunts that would make the people who play dota seem like nice guys with their attitudes toward pretty much everything

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

:)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I should know better than to mention russians in a dota thread even if I'm just talking about people playing at 3am.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Barnsy posted:

Early game SS is very reliant on good bottle/rune control since he's so mana dependent. Get a bottle and use it sparingly, gank a few times until you can afford an orchid then go to town.

Sparingly? Uh, no. One remnant gets you two uncontested lasthits, costs 1 bottle charge, pushes lane for rune control and you got enough base mana for like 6-7 casts. Go crazy man!

His burst isn't that low either, actually. 1000 range roflball + 2 remnants, pull, with correctly timed overloads hits for like 500 magic damage @ 7 (1q3w2e), plus a bunch from the physical attacks. That's roughly the same damage that a Puck would do at that level with his full combo.

verybad fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 21, 2014

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Spam that remnant dude it costs loving nothing and what else are you going to do with your mana? Pull someone?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I wish they'd stop adding legions of comedy couriers and wacky wards to the game. Way worse than Ursa wearing a hat in my opinion.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I mean how often are you really looking at wards? Couriers, sure, you see a lot, but there are games where my supports have had vision up the whole game and I didn't realize what their ward was once.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

how me a frog posted:

I wish they'd stop adding legions of comedy couriers and wacky wards to the game. Way worse than Ursa wearing a hat in my opinion.

Are you the support who's buying all the wards and couriers each and every game?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Spudd posted:

Are you the support who's buying all the wards and couriers each and every game?

I am support who buys everything every game and I have to say that different wards and couriers are pleasant additions to what I usually do and I appreciate them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr_Amazing posted:

Tide Hunter trying to work "tide" into everything is my favorite. "You can run but you can't tide!"

By far the best pun in the game is when Shadow Shaman gets a last hit and goes "A poultry sum!"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

how me a frog posted:

I have yet to see a courier or ward that really bothered me. The penguin and beaver are the only examples of truly bad ones I can think of, but I've never actually seen them ingame.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The only one I thought a bit much, was some sort of rickety flying machine spraying out flames.

Inspector_666 posted:

By far the best pun in the game is when Shadow Shaman gets a last hit and goes "A poultry sum!"

I'm a big fan of Zeus giving an Ace Ventura style "Allllmighty then!"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That new Undying HUD and ward are so cruel, stop making me want to play him when he's so meh right now. :saddowns:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elman posted:

I should know better than to mention russians in a dota thread even if I'm just talking about people playing at 3am.

I don't even get it. I asked one of them once what time it was where they were playing and they said 4:30 AM. Like Christ, do Russians sleep?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Doltos posted:

I don't even get it. I asked one of them once what time it was where they were playing and they said 4:30 AM. Like Christ, do Russians sleep?

Are you saying you've never experienced the glory of 4 AM Dota? Dude, you're missing out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

4AM is solid gaming time. People here, who play actively, usually go to sleep around 5-6AM when it is "gaming day".

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Doltos posted:

its the weekend bitch

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I usually take my sleepy-time tea around 11

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I have yet to see a courier or ward that really bothered me. The penguin and beaver are the only examples of truly bad ones I can think of, but I've never actually seen them ingame.

Glados ward, "Free to play" camera ward, ward fish, literally eye of Sauron, weathervane ward, polycount logo ward, lovely tower with random stars and the usual eye floating over it, little eye wearing storm spirit clothes hue hue hue.

Cartoon mushroom man, not one but two versions of the "lovely wizard", lovely robot/bear/beetle hybrid with goggles "Maximilian the Beetlebear", a loving snail with a boot of travel tied to it's head (LOOOOL!!!!!11), two christmas elves carrying around a chest, tinkbot, baby chocobo, dachshund with a saussage dangling in front of him from a stick, chicken with a rucksack, some sort of purple man with a stick, a beaver in racing clothes riding a log made to look like a motorbike, a pig riding on a dwarf's back, an inexplicable red man in a hat, a baby octopus pirate with a hilarious tentacle moustache, a flying film camera. And these are just that the ones that are in my opinion completely indefensible, there's plenty more that are (only) offensive visually.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ban AM pickers from dota.

Just had yet another CM loss (I do fine in AP, not sure why CM is a disaster area other than the fact I solo queue) because our captain assured us he played a great AM (I suggested Spectre instead, he was having none of it for some reason).

1-4-0 within the first six minutes. With myself and another support backing him up as much as possible. Man didn't even get a stout shield, just got a tango, a quelling blade, and "rushed" a 20-ish minute Battle Fury. Got down to about half health on creeps all the time under our tower, and got repeatedly cleaned up by Viper because of it in a shocking turn of events only foreseen by literally everyone but him.

Their tidehunter left at about 10 minutes in after we killed him a couple of times in fights in our jungle, but unfortunately he was the only reliable source of farm for our Anti-Mage so yeah.

AM ended the game 6-12-6, our supports were both like 1-12-20, just the worst thing.

:negative:

how me a frog posted:

Glados ward, "Free to play" camera ward, ward fish, literally eye of Sauron, weathervane ward, polycount logo ward, lovely tower with random stars and the usual eye floating over it, little eye wearing storm spirit clothes hue hue hue.

Cartoon mushroom man, not one but two versions of the "lovely wizard", lovely robot/bear/beetle hybrid with goggles "Maximilian the Beetlebear", a loving snail with a boot of travel tied to it's head (LOOOOL!!!!!11), two christmas elves carrying around a chest, tinkbot, baby chocobo, dachshund with a saussage dangling in front of him from a stick, chicken with a rucksack, some sort of purple man with a stick, a beaver in racing clothes riding a log made to look like a motorbike, a pig riding on a dwarf's back, an inexplicable red man in a hat, a baby octopus pirate with a hilarious tentacle moustache, a flying film camera. And these are just that the ones that are in my opinion completely indefensible, there's plenty more that are (only) offensive visually.
:goonsay:

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This robotic courier is really out of place in this game filled with video game and anime references.

• Locked thread