Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

With the first day of spring and April starting in about 12 days, looks like the floodgates have opened on new ASM 2 stuff. Activision usually has a flood of information (spoilers and all) in the last month before their new Marvel games come so, yeah.

Beenox did an interview with GameInformer and here's what the site says:

Looks like the web swinging is back to SM2 with a bit of an update. I haven't played Spider-Man 2 in YEARS (might hook up my PS2 soon to play it again though) so I'm not 100% on how the swinging was in that in terms of dual-handed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_amazing_spider-man_2/b/xbox360/archive/2014/03/19/what-kind-of-a-spider-man-are-you.aspx
No mention of the webbing actually attaching to buildings like in SM2 so no sale for me yet.

Kaveman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kaveman posted:

No mention of the webbing actually attaching to buildings like in SM2 so no sale for me yet.

They've mentioned it a lot (it's really all people ask now a days aside from when they'll release the gameplay video).

This is what Beenox told PlayStation.com:

quote:

Web-swinging works a bit differently this time around, and if it’s always bothered you that Spidey can somehow soar above the city, shooting webbing into thin air rather than swinging through it, you’ll be pleased to learn the web-head now attaches to actual objects in the environment.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/30/the-amazing-spider-man-2-building-a-better-playground/

And this is from Beenox's Twitter (compiled courtesy of PlayStation Lifestyle.net):

quote:

• When it comes to the PS4 and PS3 versions, “Story, characters and gameplay will be the same.”

• There are no plans for a PS Vita version at this time, “But as you may remember, we didn’t plan to release a Vita version of the first game either.”

• The reason it isn’t coming to Vita is because “We have to support other platforms (including new platforms) and don’t have the time or resources to do it properly.”

• They tried a first-person view for swinging around New York, but “It’s a big no. Motion sickness at its best!”

• The story of the game revolves around Peter hunting down Uncle Ben’s killer.

• Peter’s appearance will change automatically throughout the game.

• While you do play as Peter Parker and have to do some investigative journalism, “you will not only take pictures.”

• “Webs will now attach to buildings. You can’t webswing over Central Park. No more webs-in-the-skies nonsense.”

• You will be able to use various web fluids, such as sticky web, impact web and cryo web.
    “You will be able to use different kinds of web fluids, in combat and in navigation.”

• When web slinging, you need to use both triggers (likely L2/R2 on PlayStation).

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/10/14/the-amazing-spider-man-2/

Glad I found this list, actually. I thought they'd go and do something different with PS3/360 vs PS4/XBone. Granted, Activision generally ports UP and not down so...

But yeah, the official word on what you want to know is: Yes, they connect to buildings and not clouds this time. They got a LOT of flack before about that.

Now I hope the random crimes and whatnot last after the story is over. For me, playing Arkham City (or Origins) or even Spider-Man 3 (since no other recent Spidey game has randomly respawning enemies...) isn't the story so much as "I can pop this game in ANY time and just be a superhero for a while".

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Oh wow, well I stand corrected then. That's all I've wanted from a spidey game since Ultimate Spider-Man. I will be getting this day one in this case.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kaveman posted:

Oh wow, well I stand corrected then. That's all I've wanted from a spidey game since Ultimate Spider-Man. I will be getting this day one in this case.

I would still wait until someone here posts their impressions. I agree, this all sounds good, but it's a movie game, and there's a very real chance it could turn out horribly despite what they say.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I won't have the heart to do it, but I'd like to see someone do an rear end in a top hat Spidey run. They can just pretend he's Spock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I won't have the heart to do it, but I'd like to see someone do an rear end in a top hat Spidey run. They can just pretend he's Spock.

Couldn't you basically do that in the one with the symbiotes taking over New York?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I would still wait until someone here posts their impressions. I agree, this all sounds good, but it's a movie game, and there's a very real chance it could turn out horribly despite what they say.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'll be getting it day one too (or, more like day two) but I'll post my impressions of it.

I'll probably do a bad Spider-Man run too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

This is my position as well. I've been burned too many times on non-Arkham superhero games.

muscles like this? posted:

Couldn't you basically do that in the one with the symbiotes taking over New York?

You were less of an rear end in a top hat and more of an eeevil guy in that one but yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Every Spider-man game sounds super awesome until you actually play it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Web of Shadows is still my favorite Spider-Man game. I think it's great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drifter posted:

It had decent swinging, but for as flashy as they made the combat look, I thought that game was super boring, and I never finished it.

SM2 is the only one that really did it for me, never mind the fact that the side missions were bad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhNV5G3gig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exelw_BwGcw

:colbert:

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 21, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well I enjoyed where they were going with the first Amazing game so if they are going all out for this one then I will be just as pleased with it, guess I'm gonna be pre-ordering it as well :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Never pre-order. It's dumb and you don't gain anything from it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hakkesshu posted:

This isn't true. I've made my money back on multiple games by pre-ordering and selling the pre-order bonus on ebay. :)

The best of which was Mortal Kombat 2009 where I sold the Sub-Zero DLC costume that came with the game for $85 only to have the "Komplete" collection come out a week later for $5. :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Okay, in the highly unlikely event that you can make money by selling pre-order bonuses, then fine I guess. That's not really what I meant, though. I doubt anyone wants to pay that much for a dumb Spidey costume in a movie game, but more power to you if you can exploit a system that's built to gently caress over consumers v:shobon:v

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 21, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I pre order because then when I get home from work I have a game waiting for me. :shobon:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I got a sweet backpack from preordering Infamous 2. It's actually held up great and I'm still using it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hakkesshu posted:

I got a sweet Batman statue for preordering Arkham City.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Action Tortoise posted:

I got a sweet Batman statue for preordering Arkham City.

On a similar note, I got a sweet statue of Batman holding up the Joker for preordering Arkham Origins.

In fact it was my Facebook Profile picture for quite a while, and one I will probably end up using into the future.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those are collector's editions, which you can still get without pre-ordering in most cases. The point is you shouldn't pre-order because paying 60$+ on faith alone is not going to stack the odds in your favour, unless you really want some overpriced tchotchke on day 1, I guess. The game's still going to be there once reviews/impressions are out and you might have avoided purchasing a bad game.

Or you can wait like a few weeks and get it at half price. I mean this is still a licensed movie game, people! I'm saying this for your own good! I hope it turns out alright, but pre-ordering it is still a shaky proposition, and you won't lose out on much by potentially not getting a few character skins!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 21, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Those are collector's editions, which you can still get without pre-ordering in most cases. The point is you shouldn't pre-order because paying 60$+ on faith alone is not going to stack the odds in your favour, unless you really want some overpriced tchotchke on day 1, I guess. The game's still going to be there once reviews/impressions are out and you might have avoided purchasing a bad game.

Or you can wait like a few weeks and get it at half price. I mean this is still a licensed movie game, people! I'm saying this for your own good! I hope it turns out alright, but pre-ordering it is still a shaky proposition, and you won't lose out on much by potentially not getting a few character skins!

The problem with Activision and their preorders isn't "You can just get this later for a cheaper price!" it's "You may NOT be able to get this later for ANY price".

Remember the M:UA 2 debacle? You can't get that DLC ANYWHERE anymore and Activision knew it. It was always supposed to be around for only 6 months and then be gone forever. This means, not only do you lose out on Magneto and other DLC-only characters, but you can't get Juggernaut either. The reason for this is because Activision lost the rights to sell the DLC online and didn't feel it worth the cost of making a "Gold Edition" like they did for M:UA 1 (in fact, M:UA 1 was needed mostly because of bugs. I personally compiled a lit of 100+ bugs and delivered them directly to Raven Software which they put into Gold Edition instead of releasing patches).

The problem can easily happen again this time. This is the last time Activision can make a Spider-Man game. They no longer have the right to have online versions of ANY Marvel game or downloadable content (though I believe Steam still has them). This GameStop pre-order content could quite easily be the only time you will be able to get this content.

When GameStop has a preorder bonus for one of Activision's games, it's got the date that it's no longer exclusive in fine print either on the poster itself, the fake gamebox they have on display, or somewhere on their website. This date isn't listed anywhere, I've checked.

Honestly, having the experience of being around HerohQ during the M:UA 2 fiasco, with this being Activision last Spider-Man game, AND the preorder DLC possibly being truly exclusive, I'm going to say that if you want the preorder DLC, get it now. If you wait and expect that it'll be DLC later anyway and it's not, you might just be disappointed.

About this being a movie game, yes there's always the possibility of the game being bad, but considering Beenox has did the best they could in the past with Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time, and ASM 1, I'd say their track record is more "This could at least be a decent Spider-Man game" rather than "This could be really lovely." Granted, my opinion on this is probably biased sooo..yep. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's just skins that vaguely modify some abilites, not entire characters. I'm going to say right now that it probably won't be a huge loss if you will never be able to get them, but I guess if it matters so much to you, then do what you feel like, man :)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

There's also the fact that with some games, you just want to play them on Launch day and you might not be able to get them on the day they come out if you don't pre-order.
Sure games selling out completely on the day of launch isn't as common as it once was, but it still happens.

In my current situation, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zero and Infamous Second Son both came out today. I was told by my brothers that they were getting them for me as a birthday present.
I think "cool. I can play it over this weekend."

When I come home, I find out that my brother had ordered them online, but they won't be delivered to the 28th, so I don't get to play them until next week. Now I'm sitting here thinking "had it been up to me, I would have pre-ordered those games in Gamestop and I could have collected them after work and been playing them now."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

It's just skins that vaguely modify some abilites, not entire characters. I'm going to say right now that it probably won't be a huge loss if you will never be able to get them, but I guess if it matters so much to you, then do what you feel like, man :)

I actually do agree that it's not incredibly worth it, but if you think you may want them at any point in the future, I probably would factor that in too if you want to preorder or not.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Question IRL posted:

There's also the fact that with some games, you just want to play them on Launch day and you might not be able to get them on the day they come out if you don't pre-order.
Sure games selling out completely on the day of launch isn't as common as it once was, but it still happens.

In my current situation, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zero and Infamous Second Son both came out today. I was told by my brothers that they were getting them for me as a birthday present.
I think "cool. I can play it over this weekend."

When I come home, I find out that my brother had ordered them online, but they won't be delivered to the 28th, so I don't get to play them until next week. Now I'm sitting here thinking "had it been up to me, I would have pre-ordered those games in Gamestop and I could have collected them after work and been playing them now."

You could just be appreciative that your brothers bought you some gifts and play something else this weekend.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

quote:

• The swing is more natural than in the previous Amazing Spider-Man tie-in, asking players to alternate pressing the left and right triggers as they move from one emergency to the next.

http://www.gamesradar.com/amazing-spiderman-2-hero-or-menace/

Here's the walkthrough video Beenox promised. It contains swinging clips, fighting, and some stealth all from ASM2 in about 13 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZhLA9UT_c

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I enjoy preordering games from Amazon. I get whatever preorder freebies they offer, my card doesn't get charged until it actually ships, and it gets delivered to me on release day. I've done this for a ton of games and the one time there was a delivery hiccup and I got it late, I just bought the game at a local Gamestop on release day and returned the new copy I received in the mail from Amazon for a full refund.

To me, literally the only downside to this is that sometimes the preorder perks Amazon offers when there are multiple bonuses tied to exclusive retailers can be somewhat middling, but whatever...it's better than no bonus at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Here's the walkthrough video Beenox promised. It contains swinging clips, fighting, and some stealth all from ASM2 in about 13 minutes.

Oh that looks good. Really good. But Activision had taught me tp never trust the hype.

I never preorder in case the game's bad (Mass Effect 3) or just aint worth the sixty bucks (ASM 1's worth 35$ish for me, regardless of stan lee mode)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

You could just be appreciative that your brothers bought you some gifts and play something else this weekend.

Oh it's not something that I'm seething with murderous rage over. It's just having spent the last two weeks looking forward to playing the game, I discover today that I have to wait another week.
While it bothers me right now, it's not something that I will really mind too much say come Monday or Wednesday.
Either way I was using it to illustrate the point that for some people pre-ordering a game is something they do so they can play it on day 1. Maybe it's because they are really excited about the game, maybe the online element to games are really active on launch, maybe it's because they plan out schedules and clear plans to accommodate their entertainment calenders.

It's different for different people.

Anyway, back to the topic. I looked at the video ThermoPhysical posted, it's a whole lot of talking by the Game Devs, but little footage. And what footage there is doesn't let me fully judge what the games going to be like. I honestly couldn't tell if some of the clips were from the first or second game. Here's hoping some clearer clips show up online soon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
With Arkham City, I was definitely hyped up by the ads and all that, but I also trusted Rocksteady to deliver on their promises. I can't say that I feel as confident in Activision and neither can anyone else apparently, so I can understand the apprehension over preordering ASM 2. I'll wait until a few reviews come in before I pick up a copy.

Drifter posted:

Is that the one where you can fight on the sides of buildings? That looked really cool and I've been thinking about getting it at Gamestop.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll most likely pick up the game on April 30th or May 1st and won't play it until I see the movie on May 2nd.

As much as I trust Beenox to make, at the very least, a decent game, I don't trust then to not spoil the movie. They promised the first one wouldn't and it did so within the first 10 minutes. :v:

I'll give my first few impressions here after the 2nd of May.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I don't think anyone aside from people wearing Snoopy-themed safety helmets didn't already know exactly what to expect from a Spider-Man movie based off the trailers or basic word of mouth. If you're thinking anything 'spoiled' the movie I...I just don't know.

Action Tortoise posted:

Is that the one where you can fight on the sides of buildings? That looked really cool and I've been thinking about getting it at Gamestop.

You're god damned right it is. It's got really great combat, in the air and on the 'ground', and aside from your standard comic book story it's fantastic.

You should buy it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Be warned that it is extremely low-budget. A lot of how it looks, especially the UI, feels more like a low-budget PS2 game than anything.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ThermoPhysical posted:

welp getting this day one because i'm a sucker for black suits since symbiote spidey was confirmed and now this bad boy:

That walkthrough is awful though. Why would you show clips of the first one without any context?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ What's wrong with his face? O_o

ImpAtom posted:

Be warned that it is extremely low-budget. A lot of how it looks, especially the UI, feels more like a low-budget PS2 game than anything.

What are you talking about? It's a Spider-Man game, not Photoshop. Who cares?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

What are you talking about? It's a Spider-Man game, not Photoshop. Who cares?

Because it looks really, really, really ugly. I was replaying the game recently (because I like it) and everything about it in terms of presentation has aged like complete poo poo. For some people that may be a deal breaker. I still think the gameplay is the most fun of any Spider-Man not named Spider-Man 2 but it's got a lot of sour points.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

You're god damned right it is. It's got really great combat, in the air and on the 'ground', and aside from your standard comic book story it's fantastic.

You should buy it.

The best (read: most hilarious) part of the combat to me is still red suit Spidey's Fist of the North Spider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecvqEKHemI
(if you haven't played it it's not that ridiculous of course, but you really do rack up like 25 hits in a snap.)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Because it looks really, really, really ugly. I was replaying the game recently (because I like it) and everything about it in terms of presentation has aged like complete poo poo. For some people that may be a deal breaker. I still think the gameplay is the most fun of any Spider-Man not named Spider-Man 2 but it's got a lot of sour points.

God dammit. I haven't played it since it came out, but it was SO GOOD. If it's really aged as you say I'm going to be bummed. I'll have to check it out again in early April. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I recall it had some pretty severe camera issues during combat, too.

• Locked thread