Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Vertical Lime posted:

The Michigan result

The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: Federal judge strikes down Michigan's 2004 ban on same-sex marriage.

:woop: Do judges at that level publish the reasons behind their decisions? I would love to read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Silver Nitrate posted:

:woop: Do judges at that level publish the reasons behind their decisions? I would love to read that.

The Detroit News has a copy of it on their article about the ruling.

I'm kind of surprised at myself, I'm not as jump-up-and-down ecstatic as I expected, just a serene feeling of happiness. Perhaps it is shock that is actually happened here.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

gently caress yeah. Gay divorce-abortions for all, bitches! :slick:
e: link

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Detroit News has a copy of it on their article about the ruling.

I'm kind of surprised at myself, I'm not as jump-up-and-down ecstatic as I expected, just a serene feeling of happiness. Perhaps it is shock that is actually happened here.

Same, there was a sense of inevitability to it. Interesting that he didn't issue a stay. Does that signal that he's willing to let them continue while Michigan appeals it (which they will because our governor is craven).

Edit: Text of the judge's ruling.

Judge Friedman posted:

The Court finds Regnerus’s testimony entirely unbelievable and not worthy of serious consideration. The evidence adduced at trial demonstrated that his 2012 “study” was hastily concocted at the behest of a third-party under, which found it “essential that the necessary data be gathered to settle the question in the forum of public debate about what kinds of family arrangement are best for society” and which “was confident that the traditional understanding of marriage will be vindicated by this study.” See Pls.’ Motion in limine to Exclude Testimony of Mark Regnerus, Ex. 9. In the funder’s view, “the future of the institution of marriage at this moment is very uncertain” and “proper research” was needed to counter the many studies showing no differences in child outcomes. Id. The funder also stated that “this is a project where time is of the essence.” Id. Time was of the essence at the time of the funder’s comments in April 2011, and when Dr. Regnerus published the NFSS in 2012, because decisions such as Perry v. Schwarzenegger, 704 F. Supp. 2d 921 (N.D. Cal. 2010), and Windsor v. United States, 833 F. Supp. 2d 394 (S.D.N.Y. 2012), were threatening the funder’s concept of “the institution of marriage.”

While Regnerus maintained that the funding source did not affect his impartiality as a researcher, the Court finds this testimony unbelievable. The funder clearly wanted a certain result, and Regnerus obliged. Additionally, the NFSS is flawed on its face, as it purported to study “a large, random sample of American young adults (ages 18-39) who were raised in different types of family arrangements” (emphasis added), but in fact it did not study this at all, as Regnerus equated being raised by a same-sex couple with having ever lived with a parent who had a “romantic relationship with someone of the same sex” for any length of time. Whatever Regnerus may have found in this “study,” he certainly cannot purport to have undertaken a scholarly research effort to compare the outcomes of children raised by same-sex couples with those of children raised by heterosexual couples. It is no wonder that the NFSS has been widely and severely criticized by other scholars, and that Regnerus’s own sociology department at the University of Texas has distanced itself from the NFSS in particular and Dr. Regnerus’s views in general and reaffirmed the aforementioned APA position statement.

~*~dusted~*~

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 21, 2014

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Same, there was a sense of inevitability to it. Interesting that he didn't issue a stay. Does that signal that he's willing to let them continue while Michigan appeals it (which they will because our governor is craven).

Edit: Text of the judge's ruling.

The ban got struck down on a rational basis review, which means the state couldn't convince the judge that it had a singular, even a speculative, rational reason to support the law. In other words, the judge didn't believe a single drat thing the state said.

Question, have any of the federal district court decisions striking down similar bans in other states like Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, etc. use anything other than rational basis? Is the 1st Circuit still the only one to recognize sexual orientation as a protected class?

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
I love watching this map get bluer and bluer. It looks like us Wisconsinites should probably join our neighbors in the 21st century soon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

This ruling is a really good read.

good point, sir posted:

Second, the optimal child-rearing justification for the MMA is belied by the state’s own marriage requirements. The prerequisites for obtaining a marriage license under Michigan law do not include the ability to have children, a requirement to raise them in any particular family structure, or the prospect of achieving certain “outcomes” for children. By the same token, the state does not allow for the annulment of a marriage once a couple discovers it cannot conceive, or if the family structure changes, or if the couple’s children do poorly in school.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
My favorite part of these rulings is the obligatory slap in the face to Scalia:

quote:

Importantly, the Windsor Court foresaw that its ruling would precede
a number of lawsuits in state and lower federal courts raising the
question of a state’s ability to prohibit same-sex marriage, a fact that
was noted by two dissenting justices. . . .

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

baw posted:

My favorite part of these rulings is the obligatory slap in the face to Scalia:
I was about to come here and post this same thing when I came across it.

This ruling is just one SICK BURN after another.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
lmao

quote:

Fourth, the state defendants’ position suffers from a glaring inconsistency. Even assuming that children raised by same-sex couples fare worse than children raised by heterosexual married couples, the state defendants fail to explain why Michigan law does not similarly exclude certain classes of heterosexual couples from marrying whose children persistently have had “sub-optimal” developmental outcomes.

According to Rosenfeld’s study, children raised by suburban residents academically outperformed those children raised by rural and urban residents. Likewise, “middle class and poor families are ‘sub-optimal’ compared to well-off families, and couples with less formal education are “sub-optimal” compared to couples with more formal education.” Pls.’ Ex. 31 at 5. A child’s racial background is another predictive indicator of future success, as the study showed that “the probability of making good progress through school is greater in the U.S. for children of Asian descent than for children of all other racial groups.” Id.

Taking the state defendants’ position to its logical conclusion, the empirical evidence at hand should require that only rich, educated, suburban-dwelling, married Asians may marry, to the exclusion of all other heterosexual couples. Obviously the state has not adopted this policy and with good reason. The absurdity of such a requirement is self-evident. Optimal academic outcomes for children cannot logically dictate which groups may marry.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here is the emergency stay they are trying to submit :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh8ihqn0swu8em5/DeBoer%20-%20Emergency%20Motion%20to%20Stay%20-%20Sixth.pdf?n=63433056

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

That is some amazing mix of "nuh uh" and flailing.

I'm expecting the Sixth(?) Circuit to issue a stay but in my (admittedly biased) opinion, Judge Friedman made a pretty airtight argument.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

quote:

The Michigan Marriage Amendment does not discriminate based
on gender. Rather, the amendment is gender-neutral on its face—the
prohibition on same-sex marriage is applied equally to men and women

Oof. That argument didn't work when it was brought before the court in Loving v Virginia, and it won't work now, Michigan.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Were they really trying to trot that out. "What do you mean? Gays and lesbians can totally get married--to each other." :smug:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's nice when even their appeal looks from the start like it has no chance of success. There's basically no chance this appeal doesn't fail in 2014 and Michigan marriages start sometime soon after (I hope)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is it possible that the appeals that have been submitted to the US Supreme Court could backfire and get gay marriage legalized in all 50 states?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nothing has been appealed to the SCOTUS as of yet. Right now everything is at the various circuit courts of appeals. It likely won't reach the supreme court until it passes through at least one circuit court.

Once a circuit rules, though, essentially all bans in that circuit are void.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is it possible that the appeals that have been submitted to the US Supreme Court could backfire and get gay marriage legalized in all 50 states?

If Texas or another case (widely assumed it'll be Texas that's the difference-maker) gets to the Supreme Court, yes. The current court already has 5 votes needed and would just flat-out legalize it nation-wide if it comes back to them. It will likely happen before Obama leaves office, which is great because Scalia's dissent will be glorious and tear-soaked.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sweeney Tom posted:

If Texas or another case (widely assumed it'll be Texas that's the difference-maker) gets to the Supreme Court, yes. The current court already has 5 votes needed and would just flat-out legalize it nation-wide if it comes back to them. It will likely happen before Obama leaves office, which is great because Scalia's dissent will be glorious and tear-soaked.

Scalia's dissent will be illegible due to the sheer amount of tears and spittle on it. I can't wait :allears:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Scalia's dissent will be prescient and filled with useful analysis. :colbert:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sweeney Tom posted:

It's nice when even their appeal looks from the start like it has no chance of success. There's basically no chance this appeal doesn't fail in 2014 and Michigan marriages start sometime soon after (I hope)

Did you not read the motion? It clearly says that "The State Defendants are likely to succeed on appeal" :v:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hahahhahahahaah

So you remember Bill Donohue, the anti-gay Catholic leader who applied and got accepted to march in the NYC pride parade? He just backed out. it was all a scam to get the gays to reject him so he could pull the "see?! they're hypocritical bullies too!" card and that it backfired horribly.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sweeney Tom posted:

Hahahhahahahaah

So you remember Bill Donohue, the anti-gay Catholic leader who applied and got accepted to march in the NYC pride parade? He just backed out. it was all a scam to get the gays to reject him so he could pull the "see?! they're hypocritical bullies too!" card and that it backfired horribly.

They should have allowed him to march (not really) but blocked him from view by surrounding him with giant, flexing bears.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sharkie posted:

They should have allowed him to march (not really) but blocked him from view by surrounding him with giant, flexing bears.

I feel like maybe the crowd reaction would have been sufficient :-)

That ruling is a very pleasant read!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

No news articles yet but the Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor) clerk's office will be open from 9am to 1pm for marriages. No 3 day wait or fee! One of the spouses must live in the county.

e: Detroit Free Press

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

No news articles yet but the Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor) clerk's office will be open from 9am to 1pm for marriages. No 3 day wait or fee! One of the spouses must live in the county.

e: Detroit Free Press

The Ann Arbor area is pretty awesome.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My boyfriend and I talked it over and we're going to try and get a marriage license from our county clerk Monday morning. We've been planning on getting married for awhile now and figured we should take advantage of the window now and have the actual ceremony/party sometime next year. Our county clerk has said she will "follow the law" and I have it on good authority that she's "down with the gays" so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ingham County (Lansing) clerk Barb Byrum (you might remember her as the state legislator who got banned from the floor for say vagina and generally being a thorn in the anti-choice establishment's side) has indicated that they'll be issuing licenses first thing in the morning Monday.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 22, 2014

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

The Michigan result

The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: Federal judge strikes down Michigan's 2004 ban on same-sex marriage.

:neckbeard: I can get married if I ever find a partner now! No lie, I literally fist-pumped.

My boyfriend and I talked it over and we're going to try and get a marriage license from our county clerk Monday morning.

Oh Man! Good luck, and if it goes through...congrats! :)

Nevileen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 22, 2014

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My boyfriend and I talked it over and we're going to try and get a marriage license from our county clerk Monday morning.

:neckbeard:

Good luck! This will be the longest weekend *ever*.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kalamazoo Bishop Paul J. Bradley has something to say!

An rear end in a top hat in a Red Cap posted:

The decision handed down today by Federal District Court Judge Bernard Friedman in the case of DeBoer vs. Snyder is unfortunate and regrettable. With the stroke of a pen, the meaning of marriage, one of society’s most sacred institutions and the very foundation of the family, has been redefined in our state. As a result of this decision, the amendment to the Michigan constitution, which reflected the understanding of the majority of the citizens of this State, and which was designed to protect the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman, has been undone by judicial decision.

No matter how the courts or other secular institutions choose to attempt to refashion such a foundational institution of society as marriage, our Catholic faith consistently upholds the understanding, rooted in Natural law and Divine design, that marriage is a lifelong partnership of love and fidelity between one man and one woman, ordered for the mutual support of the spouses and the procreation of children if possible. A couple whose marriage is blessed and made holy through the Sacrament of Matrimony reflects the saving love of Jesus for His Bride, the Church.

As the merit of this case continues to be argued, it provides us the opportunity to proclaim both the Catholic Church’s position against unjust discrimination aimed at all persons, regardless of their sexual orientation, as well as the sacredness of traditional marriage. While our faith teaches us to treat individuals with same-sex attraction with respect, compassion and sensitivity, we also are called to defend the divine institution of marriage between one man and one woman.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 22, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

cruft posted:

Kalamazoo Bishop Paul J. Bradley has something to say!
NOBODY'S MAKING YOU PERFORM THE CEREMONIES, rear end in a top hat

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Congrats preemptively.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
You know, I just realized something.

Legalizing same-sex marriage is indeed changing the definition of marriage. But why is that a bad thing? Marriage has been redefined throughout the course of history, and if you want to strengthen it as an institution, wouldn't it logically follow that you should allow more people to get married (and thus increase the importance of marriage in our society)?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

AYC posted:

Legalizing same-sex marriage is indeed changing the definition of marriage. But why is that a bad thing? Marriage has been redefined throughout the course of history, and if you want to strengthen it as an institution, wouldn't it logically follow that you should allow more people to get married (and thus increase the importance of marriage in our society)?

Gays are icky.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Also, I would advice any Michigan Goons to proceed with caution if you plan to get married. Remember that Utah's ban was upheld after a stay, and since SCOTUS was responsible for that, it seems they'll also keep the ban intact during the appeals process.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AYC posted:

It isn't changing the definition really, what changed the definition was the hordes of laws passed to suddenly make gay marriage illegal.

Previously, most marriage laws didn't actually bother to specify "no gays", which is the whole reason laws and amendments specifically against it were "needed".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Licenses getting handed out in Washtenaw, Oakland, and Muskegon counties in the morning. Yes, this morning.

AYC posted:

A lot more people than you'd think still think (even in the year 2014) that any marriage not between a straight Christian white man and a straight Christian white woman (preferably with at least one owning property) is a bad thing. They don't like interracial marriage, they don't like atheist marriage, and they don't like gay marriage. Thankfully, a good portion of them are on Freep or don't use the Internet, and also they're old so there's reduced chance you have to put up with them frequently.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Republican Attorney General Dude posted:

"In 2004, the citizens of Michigan recognized that diversity in parenting is best for kids and families because moms and dads are not interchangeable," Schuette said. "Michigan voters enshrined that decision in our state constitution, and their will should stand and be respected."

Wait, what? What the gently caress is he saying?

If "diversity in parenting is best for kids and families" shouldn't he be pro-gay marriage? Or did he just word that badly?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AYC posted:

If "diversity in parenting is best for kids and families" shouldn't he be pro-gay marriage? Or did he just word that badly?

He probably meant 'bad' instead of best.

e: Or he's saying that you need a mom and a dad instead of two of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AYC posted:

Diversity in marriage! One of each kind of hoo-ha for every child! A chicken in every pot!

• Locked thread