Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rope Kid has stated that it's been conceived as more of a Trials of the Luremaster xpac than anything. So not, like, a full-blown expansion

This is the first I hear of it, honestly, and seems to contradict pretty much anything else they said, considering they're stressing again and again that they won't do small-stuff DLC but just old-school expansions, and that they haven't even started planning the expansion yet. So... source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah that's the first I've heard of that.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
New interview with rope kid: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3424047

quote:

AusGamers: I believe the latest word on a release target for Pillars of Eternity was pointing to late this year. Is the current plan to launch then as a feature-complete game or will there be public alphas for the backers or any other type of early access things preceding that?

Josh: Yeah I think we’ll have beta access at some point before release, and that’s good, because it will get a lot of eyes on the game and people can give feedback. People do have a tendency to be extremely negative during betas, but that’s ok [laughs]. I’d much rather get their feedback at that point, so we can just fix it, or see how they respond, rather than come out with the game and suddenly have them all going “Oh, I hate this UI; I can’t do any of this stuff”; Oh whoops, I wish we’d have seen that earlier. So we are planning on having a beta beforehand.

quote:

AusGamers: The team is obviously heads down on creating the game as described, but have there been any conversations about post-release DLC or the like? I’m mostly wondering how those sorts of discussions might differ with a crowdfunded game versus when you’re having that discussion with a traditional publisher.

Josh: Well they’ve already backed an expansion [laughs] so that’s already guaranteed. Then if the game is successful, we’d want to do more sequels and expansions and things like that, and it will really depend on the success of the game. And what sort of funding we would do for it will also depend on how successful the game is.

If the game is extremely successful and we would hopefully be able to self-fund. It is our IP and that puts us in a very good position for future titles, as a negotiating point that’s out IP to use as we want. So if we do a good job and people like it, I’d say it’s very likely that we’re going to make more games for this IP.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Thanks in advance to anyone here who is a beta-tier backer for playtesting and ironing out the game for me!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

I didn't mean it as a start of a romance, i meant it as a [Clever - Minor] joke.

- So, what do you want us to do with all these bills?

- Give them a good tumble.

- What?

- :smug:

EDIT: It's a Crusader Kings 2 joke, don't laugh.

I know it was a joke and what it referenced. My initial reply was also not meant to be taken seriously.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I hope they don't do an Early Release kind of deal. I dislike the idea of people paying to be in a beta.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Skyforge should actually come out sooner, so that will probably be our first chance at seeing a collaboration between the people behind Knights of the Old Republic II, Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas and the people behind, uh, World of Speed, Lucky Fields and Poker Arena (admittely that first one looks pretty good, and from the comments it seems the developers have some racing pedigree).

After googling 'skyforge' and wading through a lot of Skyrim- and LoL-related results, it seems you can sign up for the beta now, and there's been a new trailer released yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_eV6RhtRr0

If I had to say something nice, I'd say that I like how the aesthetics are halfway between Western and Asian MMOs (fitting for a Russian product, I suppose) and that they have some Protoss-esque 'technology indistinguishable from magic' thing going rather than sticking to pure medieval fantasy.

It's by the team behind Allods Online.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SunAndSpring posted:

I hope they don't do an Early Release kind of deal. I dislike the idea of people paying to be in a beta.

I think you might be a little disappointed then, since people have already donated to higher KS tiers to get beta access.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

SunAndSpring posted:

Don't pay then?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I think you might be a little disappointed then, since people have already donated to higher KS tiers to get beta access.

I consider that fine, as you'd have to be a fan of Obsidian to donate to them during the crowdfunding stage. I just think having access to the beta up on Steam for $40+ dollars leaves the game open to a lot of cheap shots from idiots who buy the game and complain that it's not finished despite being in beta.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I consider that fine, as you'd have to be a fan of Obsidian to donate to them during the crowdfunding stage. I just think having access to the beta up on Steam for $40+ dollars leaves the game open to a lot of cheap shots from idiots who buy the game and complain that it's not finished despite being in beta.

Which seems to be something plenty of companies are willing to deal with or don't think is a significant issue considering how many games are on Early Access. Plus it seems these "big name" kickstarters are generally putting a fairly sizeable chunk of the game on Early Access. Original Sin has nearly the entire first area as a beta (although its still missing some things), Wasteland 2 has something similarly sized, Planetary Annihilation has been constantly expanding, and DayZ and Starbound both seem to have enough content to drive more than a million sales each. If anybody complained about those games, it doesn't seem to have affected their outlook on paid betas with access to the full game later at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kibayasu posted:

Which seems to be something plenty of companies are willing to deal with or don't think is a significant issue considering how many games are on Early Access. Plus it seems these "big name" kickstarters are generally putting a fairly sizeable chunk of the game on Early Access. Original Sin has nearly the entire first area as a beta (although its still missing some things), Wasteland 2 has something similarly sized, Planetary Annihilation has been constantly expanding, and DayZ and Starbound both seem to have enough content to drive more than a million sales each. If anybody complained about those games, it doesn't seem to have affected their outlook on paid betas with access to the full game later at all.

Being on Early Access also gives a bunch of visibility and ways for people to "back" post-Kickstarter, which is something more and more projects are doing anyway. It also means you're on Steam, which is a great bunch of infrastructure for communication and achievements and distribution of the bits, though it definitely takes some work to manage the relationship and get it set up. People are going to whine, but that comes with the KS territory too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Greenplastic posted:

Thanks in advance to anyone here who is a beta-tier backer for playtesting and ironing out the game for me!

You're welcome :)

I have never beta-tested anything but I couldn't bear the idea of the game being in some kind of playable state and OTHER people playing it when I wasn't!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kanfy posted:

Not having something isn't really the same thing as "explicitly banning" it.

You must have missed that rope kid actually did state (during the kickstarter iirc) that this kind of stuff was banned from PE, to the point where when one of the concept artists drew up an NPC in boob-plate he sent it back demanding it be changed to something more realistic.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Oh I'm completely pro the P:E position! I was just making a silly post because the idea of a website campaigning nobly for boobs in everything entertained me for long enough to me to make the poor decision to post it >_>

It's all good, we can be postin' bros.

Fake Edit:

Actually managed to google up the old boob-plate drawing versus the new one.

Bad:

Good:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Being on Early Access also gives a bunch of visibility and ways for people to "back" post-Kickstarter, which is something more and more projects are doing anyway. It also means you're on Steam, which is a great bunch of infrastructure for communication and achievements and distribution of the bits, though it definitely takes some work to manage the relationship and get it set up. People are going to whine, but that comes with the KS territory too.

True enough. They should definitely try to make their first impression as fun and complete as possible, though, in order to build good word-of-mouth about the game.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You must have missed that rope kid actually did state (during the kickstarter iirc) that this kind of stuff was banned from PE, to the point where when one of the concept artists drew up an NPC in boob-plate he sent it back demanding it be changed to something more realistic.

I think they're not banning that stuff outright (well, with the exception of boob plate), though. I mean, Obsidian portrayed the misogynistic and sexist behaviors that the Legion, NCR, and others had in game in an interesting and realistic way. I think that's much better than pulling a BioWare and just banning that stuff alright by saying, "Both genders in this universe are completely and totally equal. Sexism is dead forever." because that feels like they're just avoiding the concept. While I'm not asking Obsidian to preach social justice at me (and I trust them not to), I don't want them to skirt the issue entirely and pretend it doesn't exist.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 22, 2014

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kibayasu posted:

How much (percentage-wise) is the "first area"? Because isn't the WL2 beta 30-40% of the full game in surface area, especially with the recent huge content patch?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a fair point. I think the jury is still out on whether bad word of mouth from public beta users has a significant affect on total sales. I would guess it really doesn't if the end product turns out well. Especially if the marketing push is timed for launch date not beta release.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

How much (percentage-wise) is the "first area"? Because isn't the WL2 beta 30-40% of the full game in surface area, especially with the recent huge content patch?

I'm only going off what I heard about Wasteland 2, but Original Sin's beta is the first of three areas. Or was that four... In any case, the Early Access info window says about 15 hours of content and given what I've played (never managed to "beat" it before a beta update resets the saves) it sizable.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Did item durability get removed? Someone told me it was, but I never heard of it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SunAndSpring posted:

Did item durability get removed? Someone told me it was, but I never heard of it.

Yeah, it was removed a day after it was presented in an update due to backlash.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, it was removed a day after it was presented in an update due to backlash.

Ah, thanks. It's a coin flip as to whether or not Durability will be liked by someone, so I don't really mind.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like that too, the only RPG where I don't mind weapon durability is Fire Emblem. Every other RPG I've played that had it I found to be mindless tedium.

So is the beta still coming out in April or did it get pushed back? I don't think I'll really play the beta when I get it because I'd rather play the game when its complete, but I'll still try it out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

I like that too, the only RPG where I don't mind weapon durability is Fire Emblem. Every other RPG I've played that had it I found to be mindless tedium.

So is the beta still coming out in April or did it get pushed back? I don't think I'll really play the beta when I get it because I'd rather play the game when its complete, but I'll still try it out.

I think it's acceptable when it's designed to add more complications to a battle, like you said how in Fire Emblem the best weapons usually only have 15 or so uses. But all it usually does in these types of RPGs is eat up your money. Really boring and pointless.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It would be cool with the idea of having a personality reputation (being known as Clever)if it could cause you trouble with your fightpals if you are playing in a traditional Bioware manner. So if you are doing dialogues with them in the "optimal" way and always saying the right thing for maximum "they like you more" effect, being tough with the Orc Barbarian, charming to the Bard etc instead of following your personality profile then your friends would get together and realise you are a horrible manipulative sociopath.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

It would be cool with the idea of having a personality reputation (being known as Clever)if it could cause you trouble with your fightpals if you are playing in a traditional Bioware manner. So if you are doing dialogues with them in the "optimal" way and always saying the right thing for maximum "they like you more" effect, being tough with the Orc Barbarian, charming to the Bard etc instead of following your personality profile then your friends would get together and realise you are a horrible manipulative sociopath.

Goons say this all the loving time and I'm never convinced that this would be anything but a terrible idea. What would even be the point of that beyond "Heh, take that nerds." :smug:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Alacron posted:

Goons say this all the loving time and I'm never convinced that this would be anything but a terrible idea. What would even be the point of that beyond "Heh, take that nerds." :smug:

Because it would encourage you to play as if you were an actual character rather than a robot that chooses the statistically optimal choice in every situation. Also to mess with nerds.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pwnstar posted:

Because it would encourage you to play as if you were an actual character rather than a robot that chooses the statistically optimal choice in every situation.

It'd really suck to be playing this game like you played and enjoyed every other game, then halfway through the story your party decides you're not playing the game right and calls you a sociopath.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

All games should be exactly the same with no surprises or new ideas, agreed.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pwnstar posted:

Agreed.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Games should randomly gently caress you over for playing them the same way you play every other game in their genre, agreed. They should also kill your dog and light your house on fire.

(C'mon, guy, let's not.)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

It'd really suck to be playing this game like you played and enjoyed every other game, then halfway through the story your party decides you're not playing the game right and calls you a sociopath.

Pwnstar posted:

A game explicitly marketed as being similar to previous games doing this might be a problem, but I'd really like to see it happen somewhere. If they gave enough notice about it in advance (party members making it really drat clear they talk to each other) it'd probably be okay.

It'd also be pretty cool to be able to pull off being a sociopathic lair if you're just that good at doing it, though.

edit: Now I'm trying to remember which game I played did something similar with genre conventions and people flipped poo poo about it, even though the signposting on that being the case was huge. Oh well. I liked it, whatever it was.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

AnonSpore posted:

Why would that (necessarily) suck? I don't think the game should punish you for playing a manipulative sociopath, but it would be pretty sweet if the game actually recognized that the "standard" optimal path IS playing a manipulative sociopath.

For example, say if by gaming the NPC reactions, you could make your whole party fanatically loyal to you. Wouldn't it actually be kind of cool, if afterwards, a character would point out that you're using them for your own ends, AND that they're totally fine with that because they're STILL fanatically loyal to you/your cause? You're not being punished, you're being recognized!

verybad fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 22, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Pwnstar posted:

In a sandbox

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

verybad posted:

Why would that (necessarily) suck? I don't think the game should punish you for playing a manipulative sociopath, but it would be pretty sweet if the game actually recognized that the "standard" optimal path IS playing a manipulative sociopath.

Unless your party is totes cool with you being a sociopath, it'd just be a game over in all but name, and by the nature of the development it can only happen after you've already invested a significant amount of time and effort into playing the game (enough for your party to have noticed you have no real personality except that which your cold robot brain decides suits the situation best). I don't see how it's any better than an adventure game revealing you're hosed on disc 2 because you answered some questions wrong on disc 1, and besides, it feels just as gamey to have your party decide you're a sociopath based on an arbitrary number of conflicting personality flag triggers being tripped.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'd rather have my party members be more fully realized people who are willing to tell me to get bent at times.

Ideological schizophrenia seems to be a fair thing for them to call me out on.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ravenfood posted:

edit: Now I'm trying to remember which game I played did something similar with genre conventions and people flipped poo poo about it, even though the signposting on that being the case was huge. Oh well. I liked it, whatever it was.

Probably not what you are thinking of, but KOTOR2 had the Exile who basically made almost everyone s/he met into a loyal follower because of force bonds, or Alpha Protocol's Mike Thorton who was recruited because he was just really drat good at manipulating people.

Coincidentally both were made by Obsidian. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Probably not what you are thinking of, but KOTOR2 had the Exile who basically made almost everyone s/he met into a loyal follower because of force bonds, or Alpha Protocol's Mike Thorton who was recruited because he was just really drat good at manipulating people.
Not what I'm thinking of, but I liked the Exile's explanation for why those people kept working with him/her regardless. It'll come to me. Also, Thorton was awesome, and the way some people would call you out on blatantly trying to manipulate them (most notably Marburg) was fantastic.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'd rather have my party members be more fully realized people who are willing to tell me to get bent at times.

This.

AnonSpore posted:

Unless your party is totes cool with you being a sociopath, it'd just be a game over in all but name, and by the nature of the development it can only happen after you've already invested a significant amount of time and effort into playing the game (enough for your party to have noticed you have no real personality except that which your cold robot brain decides suits the situation best). I don't see how it's any better than an adventure game revealing you're hosed on disc 2 because you answered some questions wrong on disc 1, and besides, it feels just as gamey to have your party decide you're a sociopath based on an arbitrary number of conflicting personality flag triggers being tripped.
You know, they could just start off with stuff that's a lot easier to deal with/avoid than "oops party leaves" like having conversations with party members about the whole deal. There's no need for you to assume that the mechanic would be handled poorly. I agree it'd be awful if that they all suddenly left after a certain number of flags were tripped. Why do you think that'd be the only way to implement something like this?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Have HK-01 the soul-powered Iron Golem give you props for masterfully gaining slavish devotion from your pitiful flesh slaves through subtertuge.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Not what I'm thinking of, but I liked the Exile's explanation for why those people kept working with him/her regardless. It'll come to me. Also, Thorton was awesome, and the way some people would call you out on blatantly trying to manipulate them (most notably Marburg) was fantastic.

This.

You know, they could just start off with stuff that's a lot easier to deal with/avoid than "oops party leaves" like having conversations with party members about the whole deal. There's no need for you to assume that the mechanic would be handled poorly. I agree it'd be awful if that they all suddenly left after a certain number of flags were tripped. Why do you think that'd be the only way to implement something like this?

In the situation posited which I was replying to, the party has already discussed amongst themselves and come to the conclusion that you're loco. When they confront you on this, what exactly are you supposed to do? If you say you're not a sociopath, you're just repeating the same best-choice-in-this-scenario thing you've been doing that got you into the hot mess you're in. If you acknowledge it... well, they had a problem with you being who you are so acknowledging it isn't exactly gonna earn you any points. And even if the party lets you off with some strongly worded warnings, that's still the game essentially telling you you're playing the game wrong.

It'd be great if there was a good way to incentivize actually playing a role, but I don't think the game deciding you're "breaking character" too often/egregiously and calling you out on it is the proper way to do it.

e: I suppose it'd be cool if the party decided to help you overcome these problems by offering to accompany you to meetings with a trusted Glanfathan Mindhealthmancer

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also agree.

• Locked thread