Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Cygni posted:

I'm prolly the only non-60+ year old person who hates it. But I do. Oh well.

In cooler news, the new Indy Lights car looks pretty good.

It does! I'd like it if they took the bumpers and big booty sidepods off the DW12. I know it won't happen because it's part of the drag reduction kit, but still. That car looks nice and clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's a nice mid-90s Formula 3 car.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Cygni posted:

I'm prolly the only non-60+ year old person who hates it. But I do. Oh well.

In cooler news, the new Indy Lights car looks pretty good.

That big DALLARA blade in the middle is gonna make it awfully hard for the driver to see.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Justin Wilson wouldn't have a problem.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, for the 2nd DCR ride, there have been some interesting follows by the team lately on twitter:

https://twitter.com/DaleCoyneRacing/following

Conor Daly
Luca Fillipi
James Jakes
Sage Karem
Peter Dempsey
Sam Bird

and most relevant for viking:

Christopher Bell
Kevin Swindell
Kyle Larson
Joey Saldana

It could be that the guy running the account is a big WOO fan, but that would be kind of cool to see a guy like Kevin Swindell get a ride.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I hope Conor Daly gets it just so I don't have to hear about how supposedly deserving he is anymore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think Jakes would want to go back down to Coyne, but I think he lost the family sponsorship so he may have to.

If Bird is seriously considering coming stateside, I hope someone snaps him up. The second Coyne car isn't as bad as it used to be and having Justin Wilson as a fellow brit mentor might help him.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Sprinters make the best open wheel drivers.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/3-20-Bedasse-will-be-first-driver-from-Jamaica

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I'm sure some dude that started karting 3 years ago in his mid 30's is going to do real well. I mean kudos to him for living the dream and all that I guess.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
This signing must be the prelude to the 2015 IndyCar Jamaican GP :tinfoil:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

Yeah I'm sure some dude that started karting 3 years ago in his mid 30's is going to do real well. I mean kudos to him for living the dream and all that I guess.

Yeah, the guy is a 39-year-old rookie. I'll be amazed if he goes any further than Pro Mazda.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the guy is a 39-year-old rookie. I'll be amazed if he goes any further than Pro Mazda.

Didn't you see Cool Runnings? I choose to believe this is that, but in racing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So he's going to crash?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If he's got the money to buy a Star Mazda ride, why not buy a ride in sports car racing? He can't be any worse than some of the drivers we saw out there at Sebring.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Bhester posted:

I hope Conor Daly gets it just so I don't have to hear about how supposedly deserving he is anymore.
He put up some pretty good times the last couple weeks in GP2 testing for a team with Venezuelan petrobucks behind it, I wouldn't be surprised if he spends another year in Europe :911:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

So, for the 2nd DCR ride, there have been some interesting follows by the team lately on twitter:

https://twitter.com/DaleCoyneRacing/following

Conor Daly
Luca Fillipi
James Jakes
Sage Karem
Peter Dempsey
Sam Bird

and most relevant for viking:

Christopher Bell
Kevin Swindell
Kyle Larson
Joey Saldana

It could be that the guy running the account is a big WOO fan, but that would be kind of cool to see a guy like Kevin Swindell get a ride.

Bell maybe, Swindell is a winner in WoO and has been running stock cars, Larson is a Cup driver from here on out and Saldana is old and a perennial WoO championship contender.

At this point a successful career in WoO is parallel to an Indy career.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Bell maybe, Swindell is a winner in WoO and has been running stock cars, Larson is a Cup driver from here on out and Saldana is old and a perennial WoO championship contender.

At this point a successful career in WoO is parallel to an Indy career.

I think we'll see Larson in a few ICS races (mainly the 500, but perhaps a few others) during his career. He seems really interested and I think he has the talent.

I can't see it being with DCR because of being with Ganassi. It won't be with Ganassi until at least 2015 when likely there's a 5th seat available and Karem has been pushed to Briscoe's.

The other names intrigue me quite a bit, but I think if they do get a shot at the show it'll be at Indy/Texas/Iowa/Pocono/Milwaukee/Fontana.

I like the idea of a USAC champ, a WoO champ, a (former or reigning) Cup champ, a (former) WDC Champ, and a WEC/Tudor Champ/winner all being in the starting 33 fwiw.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 22, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It seems like Connor Daly has another European ride lined up (GP2, Lazarus Racing, he was tweeting test photos from Bahrain earlier this week) but it'd be cool if he could try the 500 again. I'm sure that conflicts with the season but it'd be fun.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

He seems to be in some limbo here, he's now driving for a team that has finished dead last in both years of their existence. In 2012 they scored one (1) point.

A run on the championship seems unlikely and if he has any hope of European progressing he now needs that.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Dudley posted:

He seems to be in some limbo here, he's now driving for a team that has finished dead last in both years of their existence. In 2012 they scored one (1) point.

A run on the championship seems unlikely and if he has any hope of European progressing he now needs that.
I don't know how bacony GP2 testing is compared to F1 but he was put up some pretty competitive times given his team is supposed to be a shitbox--at the very least he outpaced his teammate most sessions. (For that matter, so did Alexander Rossi :911: ) At the very least this could allow him to focus on driving, punch above his class a few times and possibly get noticed by one of the better teams (or a sponsor) next year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

As much as I hate to say it GP2 (Like F3000 before it) are where careers go to die.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

animeliker posted:

As much as I hate to say it GP2 (Like F3000 before it) are where careers go to die.
GP2 has done a much better job of sorting out the best drivers though. I was actually looking at the comparison for a blogpost, if you can podium 20% of the time you have a better chance of getting into F1 and lasting than in the old F3000 series. But still, that requires you to be consistently good. If not, unless he can conjure up funding--which is why he'll be running for Venezuela GP Lazarus--he'd better get used to Prototype Challenge cars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

no

animeliker posted:

yeah

It's just like Lights. If you spend more than 2 seasons in Lights, and you aren't mopping up everyone or have a big personal sponsor behind you, your open wheel career is basically over.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Cygni posted:

no

yeah

It's just like Lights. If you spend more than 2 seasons in Lights, and you aren't mopping up everyone or have a big personal sponsor behind you, your open wheel career is basically over.
Exactly. If you're doing likewise in GP2, there might be a future in Indycars for you, but don't hold your breath.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CD ain't making Formula 1.

Wouldn't matter if he was winning races, championships and was the most popular driver on the grid. Unless you're completely tapped into their game of politics, F1 owners/Bernie don't give a poo poo.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2012/the_way_it_is_no361.html

(Patrick Head is a jackass.)

So his future is in Indycars. I would go do GP2 only because it'd give me another year of training, and allow you to get a shot during the Silly Season next season.

In other news:

http://racer.com/index.php/indycar/item/102090-indycar-renewed-brazilian-race-under-consideration-for-2015

ICS is returning to Brazil perhaps in 2015.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to call bullshit on that article, especially the Andretti part. Andretti severely underperformed in what was a pretty good car. I do agree about the CART thing - the split killed a series which had great potential and was pretty popular.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Andretti utterly failed to make any effort to get the garage on his side with his fantastic "commute from the US" habit, which is about as basic "politics" as you can get. You can't succeed in F1 without the support of your garage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

animeliker posted:

I am going to call bullshit on that article, especially the Andretti part. Andretti severely underperformed in what was a pretty good car. I do agree about the CART thing - the split killed a series which had great potential and was pretty popular.

I can buy that part of the reason Michael failed was not being in europe full time.

But then again, I also don't view the FIA/F1 in the highest of terms. Their record is pretty terrible when it comes to these things.

To me, I honestly believe Bernie felt a bit threatened by Indy's growing popularity.

The Mansell signing and the fact that Senna was hanging around Penske were not good things for his series. CART was growing more international in terms of appeal and there were already talks about them building ovals in Japan and Brazil to get around the FIA's rule that they couldn't run street/road courses outside of North America.

It would make sense for them for Michael to fail, as it would show the CART series as kind of a joke.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

You may want to give this a read--Michael did himself absolutely zero favors:
http://f1rejects.com/centrale/andretti/index.html

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 22, 2014

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

But then again, I also don't view the FIA/F1 in the highest of terms. Their record is pretty terrible when it comes to these things.

What things? Plenty of good drivers have been dumped out the bottom of F1 because of bad results in a worse car, including many who didn't come from a "threatening" rival series. Plenty of good drivers have been dumped out of rides in other series by being in the wrong team at the wrong time too.

Also you are completely out of your mind if you think Ron Dennis of all people would throw away results and money at the behest of Max loving Mosely and the FIA.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah, it was pretty much all of Michael's fault.

But could you blame him? He could return to racing in the US and become royalty on his name alone, why should he totally change his life for something that would only improve his position if he ended up being a very tip top driver?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, it was pretty much all of Michael's fault.

But could you blame him? He could return to racing in the US and become royalty on his name alone, why should he totally change his life for something that would only improve his position if he ended up being a very tip top driver?

Then why bother trying in the first place?

Mikey probably thought he could commute from the US because back in the 70s, when Mario was racing in F1, you really could do F1 and also do some racing back home on the side. poo poo had changed, and if he didn't realize that you needed absolute commitment to succeed, he was an idiot.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Dudley posted:

So he's going to crash?

Yup. And then carry his car across the line on his shoulders.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

FuzzySkinner posted:

CD ain't making Formula 1.

Wouldn't matter if he was winning races, championships and was the most popular driver on the grid. Unless you're completely tapped into their game of politics, F1 owners/Bernie don't give a poo poo.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2012/the_way_it_is_no361.html

(Patrick Head is a jackass.)

So his future is in Indycars. I would go do GP2 only because it'd give me another year of training, and allow you to get a shot during the Silly Season next season.

In other news:

http://racer.com/index.php/indycar/item/102090-indycar-renewed-brazilian-race-under-consideration-for-2015

ICS is returning to Brazil perhaps in 2015.

The difference in mentality is huge. In F1, there's little respect unless you're at the very top of the pile. Andretti was a superstar in the US and I I read that coming to Europe was a nasty jolt to earth, but I can't recall the source, sorry. His wife in particular struggled with the relative anonymity.

As for Patrick Head, he's notoriously tough with drivers. He didn't even respect Patrese's motivation by that point, and he was absolutely right - he did test slow, and he wasn't with the team in 1993.

Michael was on a hiding to nothing in 1993. The most technologically advanced cars ever (even by today's standards) and a resurgent and highly motivated Ayrton Senna. I remember that podium in Italy and being pretty happy for him, but by then it was obviously far too late.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC with both Unser and Andretti, I recall something to the effect that the teams were treating them as if they were basically F3000 champions, while Andretti and Unser thought the Indycar title was more respectable than a feeder series title.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The disconnect between Williams and Head re: Unser seems rather weird considering how similar and no-nonsense they both seem to be.

IIRC, Brabham also offered Mears a ride in the mid '80s and he told them to piss up a rope once he found out how much sponsorship money he'd have to bring on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The truth is somewhere in the middle, as always. Michael didn't get treated as well as he wanted or expected...but he also wasn't there full time. I'm hesitant to go full-on tinfoil hat, though. And I doubt I'd say Senna was "resurgent" in 1993; pissed off is more what I'd say. Upset that he wasn't in the best car, even more upset that Prost had aced him to the Williams, questioning what he wanted to do and beginning to face the next generation and whether he was fast enough or not.

F1 is a hard mistress. Indy is a much smaller fishbowl. Doesn't mean that the racing isn't great in both, for different reasons.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The disconnect between Williams and Head re: Unser seems rather weird considering how similar and no-nonsense they both seem to be.

IIRC, Brabham also offered Mears a ride in the mid '80s and he told them to piss up a rope once he found out how much sponsorship money he'd have to bring on.

They had also given Willy T. Ribbs a test, of all people, but with similar stipulations after-the-fact. And Paul Tracy had a promising test for Benetton in 1994 but they (unsurprisingly) wanted him to be Schumi's #2 to such a contractual extent that he decided to stay on this side of the ocean.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/toyota-racing-boss-indycar-dilution-led-automaker-to-nascar-032114

So the president of TRD talked about leaving AOWR a while back for stock car.

I struggle to see their move to NASCAR being because CART/IRL were fighting each other.

Ganassi/Penske were using Toyota's in 04, and if memory serves correctly? Honda just kind of kicked everyone's rear end.

Honda also seems to have (and still does) invest quite a bit in their AOWR programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sulman posted:

The difference in mentality is huge. In F1, there's little respect unless you're at the very top of the pile. Andretti was a superstar in the US and I I read that coming to Europe was a nasty jolt to earth, but I can't recall the source, sorry. His wife in particular struggled with the relative anonymity.

As for Patrick Head, he's notoriously tough with drivers. He didn't even respect Patrese's motivation by that point, and he was absolutely right - he did test slow, and he wasn't with the team in 1993.

Michael was on a hiding to nothing in 1993. The most technologically advanced cars ever (even by today's standards) and a resurgent and highly motivated Ayrton Senna. I remember that podium in Italy and being pretty happy for him, but by then it was obviously far too late.

I was gonna say too that "being faster than Ricardo Patrese" during that time wasn't all that impressive; he clearly did not care any more going by his performance in 1993.

• Locked thread