Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sean10mm posted:

I don't know, this feels like kind of a sheltered view of what huge swathes of the country are actually like. If Pennsylvania is a right-wing hellscape, what do you call the states that didn't go Democratic in the presidential elections of 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000 and 1996? Probably a lot worse than what you experienced in terms of hostility to science education, I'm guessing.

Also, Santorum's a Catholic, and the Catholic Church lost interest in fighting evolution in like 1950. He's a huge rear end in a top hat, but he's been waffling on intelligent design for like the last decade and is kind of a poor example to bring to this particular discussion.

Yeah that's why we have the term Pennsyltucky, because once you leave the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Philly, and Erie. It becomes a desert wasteland of red ignorance, banjos, and Arn City Beer.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sure thing, man. Probably the 2 most standard biology books I know are Lehninger's Principles of Biochemisty, and Campbell's Biology. Neither of those really have dick to say about creationism.
For my Bio 112 class we actually had a quick conversation about science and religion it just to get it out of the way, but yeah Campbell doesn't say gently caress all about creationism.

computer parts posted:

In Texas there was literally just a sticker on the inside cover which said "The State of Texas is legally required to say that Evolution is just a theory".
And isn't Texas where a lot of textbook distributors are located? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

And isn't Texas where a lot of textbook distributors are located? :negative:

Yeah but like I said it's just a sticker.

Actually the main issue boils down to "Texas likes having a standardized textbook and California doesn't like having a standardized textbook so the manufacturers will do the standardized one because it's easier".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Major textbook printers are in Dallas. So the Texas version of textbooks ends up mostly being the version that other regions used (with some region specific changes of course). So when Texas Legislators were threatening to force Texas textbooks to have creationism in them, that worried other states because that mean their textbooks were going to end up with creationism in them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sash! posted:

That's not what I'm saying and you know it.

I'm saying if you want people to come around to your side, stop being kind of a jerk when you're trying to be change things. Ultimately, you're going to win in the end anyhow, given how virtually every trend is going, so it's more useful to be like "there's no scientific validity to the concept you are presenting, so it would be unreasonable to present it alongside a presentation of verifiable and repeatable information" over "you're a dummy." It's outright childish.

Thank God Carl Sagan that Something Awful wasn't hired to manage Cosmos' PR.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cojawfee posted:

Major textbook printers are in Dallas. So the Texas version of textbooks ends up mostly being the version that other regions used (with some region specific changes of course). So when Texas Legislators were threatening to force Texas textbooks to have creationism in them, that worried other states because that mean their textbooks were going to end up with creationism in them.

It has nothing to do with geographical location, it's because Texas likes standardized textbooks so they buy the most. If California did the same instead of their fragmented system you could see plenty of (e.g.) pro-environmental stuff in your textbooks instead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can we please enjoy some science and STFU about textbooks and Texas and creationists

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Keyser S0ze posted:

2005 College Biology book by (Raven/Johnson/Losos/Singer) for example:

I can only guess what the newer Texas High School textbooks have. :newlol:

I'm really just saying that none of the biology books we had back in the 1980's even bothered with these types of sections, for better or worse.
This is a pretty bad example. For starters, Raven and Johnson is an enormous 1300 page textbook. I just pulled it off my shelf to check, and the "viewpoint discussed in Chapter 22" is literally the lone final page of a chapter specifically dedicated to outlining the factual evidence supporting the evolutionary theory. In that single page, it mentions seven common arguments used by creationists and calmly explains why they are stupid. I think it's actually a really great way for a textbook to handle it.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

computer parts posted:

It has nothing to do with geographical location, it's because Texas likes standardized textbooks so they buy the most. If California did the same instead of their fragmented system you could see plenty of (e.g.) pro-environmental stuff in your textbooks instead.

drat Texas Schoolbook Depositories, everything is their fault.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Here's a video that's both related to the last episode, and also full of :3:

Puppies learning to howl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vridzzySNkc

If you ever meet anyone who doesn't believe that all domesticated dogs are descendants of the wolf, show them this video. Even a drat chihuahua can't hide it's wolfy roots.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I enjoyed the last episode, but there was one thing we did catch. Very small and not worth quibbling over for a popularized science television show...but hey whatever. NDT mentioned that on Titan there may be life that breathes hydrogen the same way we breathe oxygen. This is likely not the case. Without getting into electronegativity, the only way life could use hydrogen like we use oxygen is if life evolved in a world with a ridiculous overabundance of reduced elements like mercury, lithium and barium. The organism would have to live off those reduced elements and breathe hydrogen. This is not the case on Titan.

Like I said, small point but something they could easily correct. I'd hate for someone to take away the thought that life there could breathe hydrogen when the producers could have easily fixed that minor statement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hitch posted:

Like I said, small point but something they could easily correct. I'd hate for someone to take away the thought that life there could breathe hydrogen when the producers could have easily fixed that minor statement.
To be fair, we're talking about life on a moon No one knows if it's even there. It's a fantasy no matter what we say.

I remember the first physics class I ever took in high school or college had us doing math in a closed, isolated system and stuff, and then the next semester our teacher said "everything you learned to do in the last class was functionally useless in the real world, it is simplified to show you how to use those equations and blah blah blah. Now let's go in and 'fix' all the stuff we had to gloss over last year."

I think this is a show that will gloss and simplify and speak down to you as if you were a five-year-old because it's not trying to prove anything, it's just trying to whet your appetite for real science.

That's a sin for another day, though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Could such a world/life-form theoretically exist out of interest? The way you worded it as reduced elements makes me imagine it'd have to be on a gas giant type planet rather than a rocky one like Earth, but that's just assumption based on half remembered fragments of various lay science programs on my part.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Drifter posted:

To be fair, we're talking about life on a moon No one knows if it's even there. It's a fantasy no matter what we say.

I remember the first physics class I ever took in high school or college had us doing math in a closed, isolated system and stuff, and then the next semester our teacher said "everything you learned to do in the last class was functionally useless in the real world, it is simplified to show you how to use those equations and blah blah blah. Now let's go in and 'fix' all the stuff we had to gloss over last year."

I think this is a show that will gloss and simplify and speak down to you as if you were a five-year-old because it's not trying to prove anything, it's just trying to whet your appetite for real science.

That's a sin for another day, though.

We of course don't know if life exists, but my point was just that we know it can't exist in that way. And to your physics analogy, that is perfectly right. "Education is the art of telling a sequence of successively smaller lies." Not sure who that should be attributed to, but it certainly applies. Higher level courses always carve and refine the things one learns in introductory courses.

Edit:
To tsob's post (can't multi quote on mobile), yes life could certainly still exist on Titan. The chemistry is beyond what I recall at this point, but what we do know hasn't eliminated the potential for life in that environment. We typically consider aerobic respiration but there could also be anaerobic respiration, things like methanogenesis. In those cases organisms evolved to use a poorer electron acceptor than hydrogen and oxygen. Plenty of room for some fantastic scientific discoveries!

Hitch fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 23, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hitch posted:

To tsob's post (can't multi quote on mobile), yes life could certainly still exist on Titan. The chemistry is beyond what I recall at this point, but what we do know hasn't eliminated the potential for life in that environment. We typically consider aerobic respiration but there could also be anaerobic respiration, things like methanogenesis. In those cases organisms evolved to use a poorer electron acceptor than hydrogen and oxygen. Plenty of room for some fantastic scientific discoveries!

I was asking more if a planet like the one you postulated, rich in reduced elements to support hydrogen breathing life is theoretically possible rather if life could exist on Titan, given that your post already made pretty clear you believed that still possible despite the minor errors in Degrasse-Tyson's science.

Also, this is from a bit up the page but:

Sash! posted:

That's not what I'm saying and you know it.

I'm saying if you want people to come around to your side, stop being kind of a jerk when you're trying to be change things. Ultimately, you're going to win in the end anyhow, given how virtually every trend is going, so it's more useful to be like "there's no scientific validity to the concept you are presenting, so it would be unreasonable to present it alongside a presentation of verifiable and repeatable information" over "you're a dummy." It's outright childish.

I just finished watching a lecture by Professor Brian Cox for the BBC called "A Challenge to TV Orthodoxy" in which he discusses his view on pretty much this exact thing. Creationism/Intelligent Design don't come up in it, since that's not a big thing in the UK - the examples raised are more to do with mystics and people who don't believe in things like immunization and global warming because of scare stories in the news or political views - but it's interesting watching regardless.

He also opens and closes the show with the opening and finish of the original Cosmos, to give a bit more relevance to the idea of watching it. He holds it up as the gold standard for popular science programming and obviously holds Sagan in high regard personally given the way he speaks about Cosmos in that (and other) shows.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I still think Cox is Sagan's successor and would have been a better host for Cosmos, but NDT is ok and after the bit about Sagan inspiring him as a teenager I'm OK with it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hitch posted:

I enjoyed the last episode, but there was one thing we did catch. Very small and not worth quibbling over for a popularized science television show...but hey whatever. NDT mentioned that on Titan there may be life that breathes hydrogen the same way we breathe oxygen. This is likely not the case. Without getting into electronegativity, the only way life could use hydrogen like we use oxygen is if life evolved in a world with a ridiculous overabundance of reduced elements like mercury, lithium and barium. The organism would have to live off those reduced elements and breathe hydrogen. This is not the case on Titan.

But that is a lot more boring than "maybe aliens could live here???" :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Here's a video that's both related to the last episode, and also full of :3:

Puppies learning to howl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vridzzySNkc

If you ever meet anyone who doesn't believe that all domesticated dogs are descendants of the wolf, show them this video. Even a drat chihuahua can't hide it's wolfy roots.

NOVA did a whole episode on the subject a few years ago too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAnVS27WODg

Steve Yun posted:

Can we please enjoy some science and STFU about textbooks and Texas and creationists

You realize this is the internet, right? :v:

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 23, 2014

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Disaster coming from the Greek "bad star" is a perfect was to demonstrate that fear-of-the-unknown. :allears:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
We know names of mass murderers better than the names of significant scientists. Yay education!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That "grilled cheese" line got a chuckle out of me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Logikv9 posted:

We know names of mass murderers better than the names of significant scientists. Yay education!

Yes, but there's practical reasons why. Knowing who Roche was doesn't impact a whole lot in your day to day life. Adolf Hitler is why my dad grew up with one less uncle than he should have.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Hell's Bells

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sash! posted:

Yes, but there's practical reasons why. Knowing who Roche was doesn't impact a whole lot in your day to day life. Adolf Hitler is why my dad grew up with one less uncle than he should have.

Yea that seems like a weird thing to be mad about, ideally we should know both but 'mass murders' are usually, like, people who shaped entire geopolitical histories, they're pretty important to know too.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Animation nitpick: doesn't the milky way have a pretty prominent bar as opposed to the classic spiral they show it as?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
With each successive episode I think I enjoy NDT's narration more. I still can't help but wonder how it would be if Michio Kaku narrated.

Does anyone know the reception this show is getting on Fox?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Please tell me that Haley was well known for using the phrase Hell's Bells.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Sash! posted:

For some reason I took mass murderers as more like serial killers and other people whom killed a lot of people but were not historically significant. And people know them better because of our morbid curiosity.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Command Ant posted:

That "grilled cheese" line got a chuckle out of me.

Makes me kinda want a grilled cheese now

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
Spider-Hooke

Edit: Spider-Hooke the Pothead

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
"Smoke weed" - Hooke

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

:420: and coffee

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:weed: - Hooke

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
:420: Hook science everyday. :420:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Hooke Dogg

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I know they said they don't have a visual depiction of Hooke but it's hilarious how they only show this weird hunchback character from the back.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Issac Newton was pretty dumb - NDT

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So ppl joke about it and all, but has FOX News and their ilk actually said anything about this show yet?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zero One posted:

Issac Newton was pretty dumb - NDT

This is making him sound like he's a notch away from being an internet crank 400 years too early

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That scoundrel Hooke! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love Newton as a crazyass dick. Usually you just get get the brilliant awesome dude.

Edit: Haha. Who knew a book on fish wouldn't be a best seller?

• Locked thread