Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kukash posted:

So I posted a while back about possibly taking a Department Manager position at Wal-Mart. Well I did it a few weeks ago and oh god what have I done. What sucks is I'm stuck for 6 months before I can transfer to something else. My only option really is to find a new job but it'd be hard for me to find something that pays as good. The extra dollar I got doesn't seem worth it. Ugh.

What the heck does the job pay that makes it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If its less than $12/hour, you might as well throw trucks and get swole.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kukash posted:

So I posted a while back about possibly taking a Department Manager position at Wal-Mart. Well I did it a few weeks ago and oh god what have I done. What sucks is I'm stuck for 6 months before I can transfer to something else. My only option really is to find a new job but it'd be hard for me to find something that pays as good. The extra dollar I got doesn't seem worth it. Ugh.

What's so bad about it? You have to seriously, seriously gently caress up to get in real trouble as a department manager.

The best advice I can give to running a successful department is to keep your numbers as accurate as possible. Nothing will make a bigger difference. Don't let IMS or ICS gently caress with your counts, don't let anyone change your counts, because you're the one that gets in trouble for your inventory being off. Count all drat day, and fix your signage and missing labels and fasttrack as you count.

Which department did you get?

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

If its less than $12/hour, you might as well throw trucks and get swole.

It's a little more than $12 but I think at this point I'd take a pay cut to throw a truck every day.

litany of gulps posted:

What's so bad about it? You have to seriously, seriously gently caress up to get in real trouble as a department manager.

The best advice I can give to running a successful department is to keep your numbers as accurate as possible. Nothing will make a bigger difference. Don't let IMS or ICS gently caress with your counts, don't let anyone change your counts, because you're the one that gets in trouble for your inventory being off. Count all drat day, and fix your signage and missing labels and fasttrack as you count.

Which department did you get?

I got electronics which at my store already was one of the highest shrinking departments to begin with. Just having to constantly deal with theft and messed up counts sucks. I have management telling me to put TV's out on feature and I have loss prevention up my rear end about securing the TVs when we have a major shortage of spider wrap.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So where I work now, we currently buy windows and doors from one company, company P. Our corporate office is trying to push us to use company C's windows. And as it turns out, our former rep from company P is now with company C, and also is our company C rep's boss.

Now, our rep from company C came for a visit a couple months ago and brought us ONE window sample and ONE cross-section French door sample. I thought this would be the end of it. Nope, a few weeks ago, a company C truck pulls up out back and offloads like a dozen sample windows, 2 sets of sample sliding glass doors, and one set of full-size insulated sliding glass doors, which are heavy motherfuckers. So now we got all this poo poo taking up room in the shop.

My boss emails our rep from company C and basically says "Thanks for letting us know you were sending us samples or, y'know, even asking" and he smugly replies something along the lines of "I figured you needed some samples, you're welcome." I could've punched him in his smug loving face right then.

Oh, but it gets better...Tuesday this week, I saw a work truck pulling up out front. It's...one of our major competitors in the area. Okay, wonder what these bozos want. They walk in and say they're picking up a set of sliders for [company C rep's name]. Now me, I have no idea what the gently caress's going on, but I get my boss, she gets them their door and gets them the gently caress out of dodge, then emails our company C rep, his boss, and her own boss.

Her own boss happens to be the CFO of the corporation, and HE got on the horn with company C's CEO and a couple other executives to say his piece. Something about company C promoting my company's competitors in front of them at a trade show and whatnot...I still have yet to see the fallout, but retribution should be sweet.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

D34THROW posted:

Oh, but it gets better...Tuesday this week, I saw a work truck pulling up out front. It's...one of our major competitors in the area. Okay, wonder what these bozos want. They walk in and say they're picking up a set of sliders for [company C rep's name]. Now me, I have no idea what the gently caress's going on, but I get my boss, she gets them their door and gets them the gently caress out of dodge, then emails our company C rep, his boss, and her own boss.

Getting dicked around by company C rep aside, I would've taken a photo of the competitor's truck, pinned it up in the entrance with a note along the lines of "even our competitors know where to come for window supplies!"

If Home Depot or Menards ever pulled up to my Lowe's looking for supplies, you know our PR guys would have a loving field day with it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kukash posted:

It's a little more than $12 but I think at this point I'd take a pay cut to throw a truck every day.

I got electronics which at my store already was one of the highest shrinking departments to begin with. Just having to constantly deal with theft and messed up counts sucks. I have management telling me to put TV's out on feature and I have loss prevention up my rear end about securing the TVs when we have a major shortage of spider wrap.

As a department manager you should have the ability to order locking peghooks and spider wrap. Search for 99 supplies on the wire and one of the results should be an exhaustive list of supplies that can be ordered through the telexon. Just punch in the item numbers and order like any other item. Someone might fuss if it ends up being a huge amount of money or if they feel like ordering 99 supplies is their responsibility, but you might also get bonus points for taking charge in a situation where everyone else is doing nothing. It might get denied as well, if whoever is approving orders notices, but then you can at least say you tried to confront the problem.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Forceholy posted:

Yep. Welcome to the American Labor Force!

Not necessarily. We've got a few goons who actually work in unemployment related jobs and you can get get it even if you quit, depending on the reasons. It's not an absolute "you quit = no unemployment" like people think.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I've been working at an undermanned gas station for the past 2 months. I've so far had my share of many mistakes and I'm still making them on busy days. Most of my mistakes are related to change given or received or driveoffs. Now normally my boss just gives me a stern talk about it for 5 minutes and lets me go. But on Thursday he took me aside for 10 minutes to talk to me about preventing being short on my till and preventing driveoffs. Then he left at the beginning of my shift. Just me and one other guy, with me responsible for all the pumps and most of the instore customer transactions.
Let's just say I was short on my till by like 60$ and had two driveoffs.

Now I'm worried about what my boss is going to say tomorrow when I work again. This is my first cash register job. This is my first job dealing with cash. I haven't had to count the poo poo since middle school. Since then I've always payed by my savings debit. Preventing driveoffs is hard because when it's busy I have to tell a lot of cars in the back to pay inside because I can't see their plates. But some people don't get it or don't listen to the overcom. Then I have the enormous line in front of the register.

My first job was seasonal. My second job I quit because I had to wake up at 2am and bike 5 miles through Minnesota winter. Now I'm worried about getting fired from this job from making too many mistakes. Could this leave a bad 'dont hire this guy' record for future employers if they do end up laying me off? :ohdear:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If you've only been there for two months and get fired you could not include it on your resume. No retailer is going to waste money finding out if someone they're hiring for an entry level job had jobs they aren't listing, especially if it's only a two months period.

If the gas station you're working for a chain or is the boss the owner? Large corporate entities tend to have policies where they'll only give hire date and departure date.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 23, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Imapanda posted:

I've been working at an undermanned gas station for the past 2 months. I've so far had my share of many mistakes and I'm still making them on busy days. Most of my mistakes are related to change given or received or driveoffs. Now normally my boss just gives me a stern talk about it for 5 minutes and lets me go. But on Thursday he took me aside for 10 minutes to talk to me about preventing being short on my till and preventing driveoffs. Then he left at the beginning of my shift. Just me and one other guy, with me responsible for all the pumps and most of the instore customer transactions.

Now I'm worried about what my boss is going to say tomorrow when I work again. This is my first cash register job. This is my first job dealing with cash. I haven't had to count the poo poo since middle school. Since then I've always payed by my savings debit. Preventing driveoffs is hard because when it's busy I have to tell a lot of cars in the back to pay inside because I can't see their plates. But some people don't get it or don't listen to the overcom. Then I have the enormous line in front of the register.

My first job was seasonal. My second job I quit because I had to wake up at 2am and bike 5 miles through Minnesota winter. Now I'm worried about getting fired from this job from making too many mistakes. Could this leave a bad 'dont hire this guy' record for future employers if they do end up laying me off? :ohdear:
Either your process is flawed (and thus impossible to do correctly) or there's something wrong with the way you're doing it. If it's the former, you need to resolve that with your boss because if you're losing money the problem isn't going to go away.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Imapanda posted:

If I were you, I would:

-Ask to count your drawer before your shift to verify the money you're starting with is correct
-Ask that you and you alone have access to the register. For all you know, the other guy you work with could have hosed up the change and/or stolen money

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Imapanda posted:

Could this leave a bad 'dont hire this guy' record for future employers if they do end up laying me off? :ohdear:

For what its worth, I would not hire you if I learned you got fired from a gas station for being unable to count change.

Some advice: You need to stop making excuses. If you can't handle the pressures of a gas station, you'll never be able to deal with a real job. Learn to prioritize your tasks. Ask yourself, in any given moment, "what is the most important thing I should be aware of RIGHT NOW?" If people are stealing gas, you need to be focused on them regardless of how many angry people you have waiting at the counter. If you're loving up the change, you need to focus on getting it right. Go to a bank and take out $5 in change to practice at home if you have to. Your job is literally the bottom of the employment barrel and you have NO excuse for loving it up.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
There are still pumps that allow you to take out gas without prepaying inside or with a card? Do you not have an electronic register either? These seems like problems that were largely solved 30 years ago by simple technology.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Krampus Grewcock posted:

There are still pumps that allow you to take out gas without prepaying inside or with a card?

Everywhere outside big cities.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

big mean giraffe posted:

Everywhere outside big cities.

You mean in the Midwest or something? Are the pumps completely mechanical? I've never seen this.

Frankly, your boss needs better surveillance too if people are getting gas and driving off without paying, seeing as their vehicle has a huge "THIS IS ME" sticker on it and it seems like an open and shut theft case.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Volmarias posted:

You mean in the Midwest or something? Are the pumps completely mechanical? I've never seen this.

No, the pumps have to be turned on by the cashier/attendant. The situation with this guy, if I'm understanding it right, is that he's only supposed to activate pumps when a license plate is fully visible on the security cameras. Unfortunately, people know how to scam the system and are pulling up in ways to avoid the cameras. While he's supposed to require prepay in those situations, he's not doing his job and authorizing the pumps anyway, leading to the frequent drive-offs he's experiencing.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 24, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Irish Joe posted:

No, the pumps have to be turned on by the cashier/attendant. The situation with this guy, if I'm understanding it right, is that he's only supposed to activate pumps when a license plate is fully visible on the security cameras. Unfortunately, people know how to scam the system and are pulling up in ways to avoid the cameras. While he's supposed to require prepay in those situations, he's not doing his job and authorizing the pumps anyway, leading to the frequent drive-offs he's experiencing.

Well it's a good thing that there can't possibly be cameras pointing at the entrance and exit routes along with timestamps to correlate the footage :psyduck:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Krampus Grewcock posted:

There are still pumps that allow you to take out gas without prepaying inside or with a card? Do you not have an electronic register either? These seems like problems that were largely solved 30 years ago by simple technology.

This must be an American thing, because I have never heard of having to pay before you fill your tank. Every Petrol station I've ever seen in my life, you drive up to one of the pumps, fill your car with however much petrol you want, then walk into the store and tell the cashier which pump you just used.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Irish Joe posted:

For what its worth, I would not hire you if I learned you got fired from a gas station for being unable to count change.

Some advice: You need to stop making excuses. If you can't handle the pressures of a gas station, you'll never be able to deal with a real job. Learn to prioritize your tasks. Ask yourself, in any given moment, "what is the most important thing I should be aware of RIGHT NOW?" If people are stealing gas, you need to be focused on them regardless of how many angry people you have waiting at the counter. If you're loving up the change, you need to focus on getting it right. Go to a bank and take out $5 in change to practice at home if you have to. Your job is literally the bottom of the employment barrel and you have NO excuse for loving it up.
Way to be an rear end. Handling money and doing quick arithmetic on the fly while monitoring actions of other people/vehicles is not for everybody. Also learning a new job/skill/trade can be very stressful for someone for various reasons no matter how easy they may seem.

Imapanda, if you can't afford to quit right now, then do whatever you can to find another job that you think you'd be more comfortable with then quit your gas station job.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

This must be an American thing, because I have never heard of having to pay before you fill your tank. Every Petrol station I've ever seen in my life, you drive up to one of the pumps, fill your car with however much petrol you want, then walk into the store and tell the cashier which pump you just used.

I've definately had to do it a couple of times in Australia, but it was always at some less than ideal locations between 10pm and 5am, but otherwise it's pump then pay, but the cashier has to activate the pump manually at the very least.

It was a pain in the arse when I went the USA. Having to line up twice at the cashier at a busy downtown San Fransisco depot took for loving ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rudager posted:

I've definately had to do it a couple of times in Australia, but it was always at some less than ideal locations between 10pm and 5am, but otherwise it's pump then pay, but the cashier has to activate the pump manually at the very least.

It was a pain in the arse when I went the USA. Having to line up twice at the cashier at a busy downtown San Fransisco depot took for loving ever.

Well I've never had to refuel in the middle of the night. Nights are for staring into computer screens!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Rudager posted:

Where I'm at here in the states can vary from place to place. Head towards Cleveland, and it's prepay, head into the country and it's pump then pay. There are two gas stations less than a mile from where I live, one you have to prepay always, the other not so much. But, the latter has much greater visibility for the cashier, and is located in a lower traffic density stretch of road.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

That's why I just use my debit card at the pump. Then I don't even need to go inside.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

big mean giraffe posted:

That's why I just use my debit card at the pump. Then I don't even need to go inside.
Yeah, I had no idea that anyone without a bank account still went inside to pay for gas. At Costco they don't even have an 'inside' to go to. Just seems kind of backwards, like still going into a bank branch for small cash withdrawals instead of using an ATM.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

unfortunately it didn't like my Australian card :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cicero posted:

Yeah, I had no idea that anyone without a bank account still went inside to pay for gas. At Costco they don't even have an 'inside' to go to. Just seems kind of backwards, like still going into a bank branch for small cash withdrawals instead of using an ATM.

A lot of places around here have that stupid "You must pay $5 to use a credit card" sign, so I'll usually go in and drop off my credit card so that I can come back and get a bag of chips, Coke, and the gas on one ticket to qualify. Pain in the butt going in twice, but man, when you've got to have your Chee-wees fix, what are you gonna do, keep cash on you? Nah.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

when you've got to have your Chee-wees fix, what are you gonna do, keep cash on you? Nah.

Not go to cheap poo poo holes with dumb policies like that.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

As a department manager you should have the ability to order locking peghooks and spider wrap. Search for 99 supplies on the wire and one of the results should be an exhaustive list of supplies that can be ordered through the telexon. Just punch in the item numbers and order like any other item. Someone might fuss if it ends up being a huge amount of money or if they feel like ordering 99 supplies is their responsibility, but you might also get bonus points for taking charge in a situation where everyone else is doing nothing. It might get denied as well, if whoever is approving orders notices, but then you can at least say you tried to confront the problem.

I...I think I love you. I did not know I could do this because every time I asked my assistant manager, he says the store manager has to do it. Even the asset protection manager said the same thing. Gonna see if I can sneak an order through.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The number one thing I hate about my job. This fuckin' staircase. I don't like heights or staircases that don't have a handrail on both sides, and this thing is 51° of pure gently caress-your-face to me. I don't use it a lot, but I have to when we're doing inventory. I finally made it up and down this thing today without turning white and getting stuck up top and needing someone behind me going down.

The number two thing I hate. This fuckin' door. People pull it to get in. It says push right next to the goddamn handle. And yet 3 out of 5 people try to pull it open and fiddle with the lock thinking it'll make a difference.

The number three thing I hate. Fuckin' snowbirds. They're all going home at the end of this month and they want a new screen door NOW. They want someone to fix their windows NOW. They want their screen room turned into a glass room NOW. Sorry, fuckers, it's at LEAST 4-6 weeks once we get your deposit. Pop the fuckin' rollers out of your lovely Home Depot special and fix the goddamn thing yourself if you're that impatient. Maybe next time don't wait until you're going home in a week like, oh, I don't know, every other snowbird is also loving doing. :ssj:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

even being able to pay at the pump is still relatively uncommon here. I've only seen it start to appear in the past year or so, and the one major chain that started it only lets you do it with the store brand MasterCard you can get from them.

Then you have places starting to try and charge a surcharge for credit card use, and they can just gently caress right off.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 25, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

even being able to pay at the pump is still relatively uncommon here. I've only seen it start to appear in the past year or so, and the one major chain that started it only lets you do it with the store brand MasterCard you can get from them.

Then you have places starting to try and charge a surcharge for credit card use, and they can just gently caress right off.

This is the weirdest thing I've read. Pay at the pump has been common here for at least a couple decades and I live in a small town in northern Michigan.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I got my Costco membership just so I could get gas cheap without having to pay the credit card surcharge that was popping up at all the cheap stations.

I've been out of my rep job for a couple weeks now. But I have this tablet they gave me to use in the field and it is technically theirs. So I've been trying to get my old boss to meet up with me so I could give it to her plus a bunch of giveaway poo poo they shipped me after I had already put in notice.

But she seems to be avoiding me. We tried to meet last week, but she couldn't make it and didn't tell me she wasn't coming until an hour after our arranged meet time and only after I texted her. So now I just want a shipping address so I can dump it in the mail and be done.

It's so dumb. I just want to give this piece of poo poo back so they don't try to hold me liable for it and I can be truly out of retail.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
None of the eftpos machines on the gas pumps seem to work when I fill up, this is in Australia.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kukash posted:

I...I think I love you. I did not know I could do this because every time I asked my assistant manager, he says the store manager has to do it. Even the asset protection manager said the same thing. Gonna see if I can sneak an order through.

People will actively lie to you to prevent you from learning. The people that move up are the people that figure out how to train themselves, how to work the telexon, work the machinery, finesse the system. This is how you get the one person in a store qualified to train for powered lifting equipment that refuses to certify anyone else. Knowledge is advancement and security.

They push the SOPs and routines, and it seems childish or incomplete, but I understand completely why they do it. Corporate wants knowledge to disperse and they try to do it in their own misguided way. The employees often dig in their heels and bog things down in ridiculous local politics.

You'd be surprised what you can find on the wire, or what you can do from the old SMART system 80s looking green screen craziness. When I left, the big thing was feature management data. This required department managers to accurately mark and update their features so the bigwigs could watch sales and analyze item performance. Does your store do feature management?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

This is the weirdest thing I've read. Pay at the pump has been common here for at least a couple decades and I live in a small town in northern Michigan.

Australia is just a bit of a backwater when it comes to that sort of thing I guess. Either that or we have much less fuel theft. Hell 20 years ago you would have expected someone to fill your tank for you when you went to a petrol station.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Lord Bude posted:

Australia is just a bit of a backwater when it comes to that sort of thing I guess. Either that or we have much less fuel theft. Hell 20 years ago you would have expected someone to fill your tank for you when you went to a petrol station.
We still have this here...in Oregon. It's against the law to fill up your tank yourself there. I always seem to forget that when I'm driving through though and awkwardness ensues.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

I dunno where you guys are, but here in Newcastle and surrounds it's never failed for me and it's at all the major stations, half the time I don't even get my card out of my wallet, I have it in my wallet as close to the outside as I can and I just use the tap "paywave" thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rudager posted:

I dunno where you guys are, but here in Newcastle and surrounds it's never failed for me and it's at all the major stations, half the time I don't even get my card out of my wallet, I have it in my wallet as close to the outside as I can and I just use the tap "paywave" thing.

In my experience with paywave you have to sacrifice a goat to the elder gods just to have it work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

In my experience with paywave you have to sacrifice a goat to the elder gods just to have it work properly.

I couldn't disagree more, I use it everywhere because I'm the ultimate lazy person who would rather just tap a card then spend 10 seconds punching in a pin number.