Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The first few episodes were really not my thing, but after these last few episodes the show has completely won me over. Great episode and I think the dynamic between the three is getting better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Well, I think this about sums things up for this season:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Al-Saqr posted:

The first few episodes were really not my thing, but after these last few episodes the show has completely won me over. Great episode and I think the dynamic between the three is getting better and better.

I'm really glad this show got more episodes, because its coolness has been growing exponentially.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space Dandy is all of the above.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

sincx posted:

Well, I think this about sums things up for this season:

I'm pretty sure the last sentence is all you need to sum this show up.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArcadePark posted:

I'm pretty sure the last sentence is all you need to sum this show up.

Yeah, there's a certain wonderful consistency to the show that I love, despite how weird and inconsistent it can get, and I think it really does just come down to that last sentence ultimately being the stable core of everything.

Space Dandy is a dandy guy in the space.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It came from Tumblr.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm really glad this show got more episodes, because its coolness has been growing exponentially.

Do they decide to ditch the dying at the end of each episode on account of what a stupid gimmick that is ? I just watched 5 and nobody died.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nf3 posted:

Do they decide to ditch the dying at the end of each episode on account of what a stupid gimmick that is ? I just watched 5 and nobody died.

Sometimes they die, sometimes they don't. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to die twice in an episode soon enough.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Did Dr. Gel actually die last episode or did he just get stuck in that infinite loop? I can't recall.

I cracked up in the episode where the narrator pointed out that Dr. Gel and Bea find a way to die every time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

It came from Tumblr.

Space QT is a QT guy in space.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Picked this up, thanks. :)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nf3 posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't die in half the episodes you watched.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013
I imagine someone has already put forward the theory that the whole non-continuity thing will actually end up getting explained by some sort of dimensional-paradox-type plot, right? The ED kind of hints at it, as does the Library episode.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Last promo for a while ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4imlP41v3jo

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Winky posted:

I imagine someone has already put forward the theory that the whole non-continuity thing will actually end up getting explained by some sort of dimensional-paradox-type plot, right? The ED kind of hints at it, as does the Library episode.

Yeah, people have been thinking that from the beginning. Seems plausible enough, but I honestly don't care if it ever gets revealed. This show isn't really about telling a grander story, it's about stuff like QT falling in love with another robot appliance.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I believe a staff member mentioned they're going to address some of the backstory in episode 14 (the first one airing in July).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.mediafire.com/download/37e6vp0k5kt048k/SpaceDandyOST1.rar

First soundtrack, also includes the OP and ED singles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1k018l_space-dandy-s2-teaser_shortfilms

Dandy season 2 teaser.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The season finale was great. Really well animated action sequences, and the plot was goofy as poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That ending felt like the climax of Metropolis.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If this took place in the outer space version of Detroit, does that make the giant robot a metaphor for Reaganomics? The plan for it was formulated by a dimwitted, hateful cowboy, after all.

Bailing that, I got a 'Robot Carnival' vibe from that giant robot.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Loved the animation and the goofy robot appliance love story made me :unsmith: more than it probably should.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
While we wait for season 2 here is a weird Japanophile whining about Space Dandy

quote:

BONES and Shinichiro Watanabe have done it, they’ve successfully made a Japanese animation as unintelligible and moronic as the average American animation, and the title of the work is Space Dandy.
The director can now rest in peace knowing his dream has come true. The Japanese PVs for this series made it seem more slick than it truly was, the American PVs turned out to be far more accurate, as after all, this seems aimed at the American audience foremost. Space Dandy isn’t a disaster, it’s just disgusting – which makes sense as it’s aimed at a very particular crowd of uncultivated species known as “Americans”.

quote:

Many of us have learned in kindergarten the “Show, don’t tell” philosophy when telling a story, avoid explicitly laying out “My story is about X” and instead just get right into it – but of course with an animation targeting a population that looks down upon reading, and struggles with context clues, the opening dialogue has to dumb itself down to meet the comprehension levels of the predominant viewing group. The episode starts with a narrator explaining to us that the series takes place in space in case that was not clear.

quote:

With concepts like a central plot being too complex for the average American, Shinichiro Watanabe smartly made the decision not to include one. This first episode concludes with everyone’s total obliteration over the brazen stupidity of detestable main character Space Dandy – but of course, expect everything to continue next time just fine and dandy, mundane and asinine as it was this episode.

And of course the thing about the series he did like was Honey the waitress:

quote:

The one well-done and perhaps even praiseworthy aspect of this anime is the character design of “Honey”, which has a surprisingly unique but suitable hairstyle for the blonde bimbo ideal of a character that she is. She does also have a “nice body”, which will probably be convincing most people, the American ones in particular, to keep watching this series. If hoping for anything besides a busty blonde to gawk at, you’re wasting time with the wrong animation.

This is followed by about a dozen photos of closeups on Honey's tits and rear end

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

With poo poo like that, I expected the ratings on anime database sites to be a little more polarizing. Apparently not.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20057/Space%E2%98%86Dandy/stats
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=votes&aid=10027
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15555

So, my faith in anime fans outside of ADTRW (assuming no one rigged the ratings on all three sites) has been slightly restored. Only slightly, though.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Where does a blog like that, chock full of features about shallow fanservice, get off trashing Space Dandy? I mean, Space Dandy isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's fun, usually coherent and understandable, and sometimes succeeds in bringing the old good-time anime feelings (like this episode tonight did at the end).

On that note, I thought tonight's season ender was a good send-off. A little cute, not overly sappy, and the ending was a bit epic without being overwrought. I'll be interested in seeing what happens in a few months!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This episode was freaking great. QT is now my favorite character.

Absolutely wonderful with exquisite animation. I really love how this series turned me from totally indifferent to falling in love with the whole vibe of it. I should've known better than to doubt the man behind cowboy bebop.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 30, 2014

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

After looking at that rant page I just realized that the hearts on the waitresses' butts are actually bare skin. Guess if I had spent more time ogling them I wouldn't have embarrassed myself like this!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Aw QT, you're such a sweetheart! :kimchi:

Also, lol at that guy for saying this show is terrible. It's seriously one of the coolest animes ever. Space Dandy doesn't strive to be any particular thing, it's just content being weird and it doesn't give a drat how you feel about that. Whether or not it charms you is subjective, but to me this show is like an answer to a question I never knew I've been asking. That may seem a bit melodramatic for such a goofy anime, but you've got to admit, nothing else is quite so experimental and fun.

Everyone who got turned off by the first few episodes should really take the time before the second half to give it another chance; fair bet that you'll find something here that will make it worth your time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Everyone who got turned off by the first few episodes should really take the time before the second half to give it another chance; fair bet that you'll find something here that will make it worth your time.

Yeah, the show really took off in the second half, the first half is such a slog it might make new viewers quit too early. maybe it'll be best for them to start with the second half, either ways each episode is a single package so why not start with the stronger episodes and then move on to the weaker ones?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
It's a very patchy show. Episode 5 is probably when I actually started taking notice, as that pulled off it's themes with aplomb and actually made a character more than one-note, but even after that, the show has been really inconsistent.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 30, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

seventhstyle basically exists to try and be another sankakucomplex, they're both terrible. They even have similar (really dumb) writing styles. Just ignore him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It hooked me by the second episode. Between Meow's antics, the lovingly detailed bowls of ramen, Scarlet murdering a bunch of guys apropos of almost nothing, and the whole plot suddenly changing from Looney Tunes to Bebop-esque melancholy in the final scene (save, you know, the terrible accident), it was all great fun. Nothing gut-busting in terms of comedy, but everything in this series is constructed with a lot of care.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Really liking the show is pretty dependent on how much you're willing to just go along for the ride and how much you get out of just pure Really Good Animation. Because Space Dandy is seriously one of the best animated shows we've had in awhile, particularly during its numerous action sequences. The fact that it has a different director and writer basically every episode really ups the variety and diversifies the style as well; it's like a sample platter of some of the best staff anime's got.

At the same time, I can understand why people dislike the show, because of how 'inconsequential' it is, how it relies on its sheer goofiness as a plot device, how there really isn't a plot, but personally I enjoy all those aspects. It's a completely stupid show and it's a completely brilliant show.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm sad that the final music track from ep.13 isn't on the OST.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zorak posted:

Really liking the show is pretty dependent on how much you're willing to just go along for the ride and how much you get out of just pure Really Good Animation. Because Space Dandy is seriously one of the best animated shows we've had in awhile, particularly during its numerous action sequences. The fact that it has a different director and writer basically every episode really ups the variety and diversifies the style as well; it's like a sample platter of some of the best staff anime's got.

At the same time, I can understand why people dislike the show, because of how 'inconsequential' it is, how it relies on its sheer goofiness as a plot device, how there really isn't a plot, but personally I enjoy all those aspects. It's a completely stupid show and it's a completely brilliant show.

Exactly this. I have plot shows when I want to watch something with actual story, and consistent comedy shows if I want to laugh and so on. Space Dandy is a show I watch purely to sit back and experience and it does that so very well. The animation alone is enough for me to watch the show, everything else is just a bonus. I really like how the style changes so much that I never know what to expect from anyone given week. I've never understood people that seem to want everything they watch to be the same drat thing as every other thing they watch.

Episode 13 was a good one to go out on, I think, a dash of melancholy to balance out the hilarity of last weeks episode. ("Is that your final Dandy?") Really looking forward to this show coming back.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Robots falling in love. That's it, that's my weakness. Well-animated robots, getting big and fighting, too. With classy music playing.

I could just watch that scene over and over again.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I called this show mediocre a while back. I thought it was kind of fun but just wasn't feeling it beyond that.

Well, I've changed my mind. The second half has completely won me over and this last episode was almost beautiful in its own way. I've really grown to like these characters over time. The goofy humor and writing is great and the animation is still gorgeous. I'm glad I stuck around, and hope the second season will be even better than this one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I love this show's soundtrack so much, you guys.

The track playing over this episode's final act shouldn't work at all but it totally does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Oxxidation posted:

The track playing over this episode's final act shouldn't work at all but it totally does.

I was getting "Komm, süsser Tod" flashbacks from it. It's not as extreme, but they had that nice little soundtrack dissonance going on there.

• Locked thread