Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

therattle posted:

I just read a blog which had something I don't understand: semolina has a higher protein content but lower gluten?
Not all proteins form gluten. It also takes a balance of the right precursors to form the right composite. For example, barley has a lot of gliadin but not nearly enough glutenin to form enough gluten to leaven a loaf of bread. This and it's excessive amount of husk material are the primary reason wheat works so much better for bread...and barley so much better for beer.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

tonedef131 posted:

Not all proteins form gluten. It also takes a balance of the right precursors to form the right composite. For example, barley has a lot of gliadin but not nearly enough glutenin to form enough gluten to leaven a loaf of bread. This and it's excessive amount of husk material are the primary reason wheat works so much better for bread...and barley so much better for beer.

To expand on this, wheat contains four basic proteins - glutenins, gliadins, globulins, and albumins. Glutenins and gliadins will form gluten, while the others will not. While a given type of flour may contain high levels of dietary protein, it may not have the right levels of the right proteins for good gluten development. See following images:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey, I saw a post on this thread (I believe) recently about how to use starter in a pre-existing recipe, but I'm having trouble finding it. It said basically to treat the starter as half flour, half water... so if I had a recipe I like, but want to use starter, would I take out half a cup of water and half a cup of flour, and use a full cup starter? If so, does one also use additional yeast as the recipe calls for, or should there be enough activity in the starter alone?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Brawnfire posted:

Hey, I saw a post on this thread (I believe) recently about how to use starter in a pre-existing recipe, but I'm having trouble finding it. It said basically to treat the starter as half flour, half water... so if I had a recipe I like, but want to use starter, would I take out half a cup of water and half a cup of flour, and use a full cup starter? If so, does one also use additional yeast as the recipe calls for, or should there be enough activity in the starter alone?

It's important to note that it's half flour and water by weight. Water doesn't weigh the same as flour, so you'll have to calculate how much of each to take out.

Otherwise, right on the money - if you use 100g starter, remove 50g each water and flour from the recipe. Depending on how active your starter is, how long it's fermented, how much starter you used, and how much yeast activity you want in your bread, you may want some extra yeast.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just baked my first loaf of bread. Followed the steps for the most basic loaf, one mistake I made was forgetting that I had to let the bread rise once again after punching it down and re-kneading it. :downs:

What came out of the oven 30 minutes later was more like a doughy biscuit than a fluffy loaf of bread. It wasn't all that bad, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's important to note that it's half flour and water by weight. Water doesn't weigh the same as flour, so you'll have to calculate how much of each to take out.

Otherwise, right on the money - if you use 100g starter, remove 50g each water and flour from the recipe. Depending on how active your starter is, how long it's fermented, how much starter you used, and how much yeast activity you want in your bread, you may want some extra yeast.

I find this confusing.

So, water doesn't weigh the same as flour... but starter is half flour and half water by weight? That seems like it contradicts itself to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong...

It seems like, since the starter is comprised of 2 cups water and 2 cups flour, shouldn't a cup full be half a cup of water, half a cup of flour? I really don't get this.

Say I'm using this recipe: http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/laura-calder/the-miracle-boule.html which I've made a few times successfully, but I wanted to use my starter in it. How would you go about it? I was picturing leaving out a half cup of flour and a half cup of water, and putting a full cup of starter in it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That recipe uses a poolish fermented overnight; I would just follow the recipe as written, but inoculate the poolish with about 10-15 grams of starter, then let it ferment for 12 hours to 24 hours. You will likely need to allow more time to proof as natural leavening generally takes longer than commercial yeast. I've only been baking seriously for about a month, however, so I may be off, but I've had success following the method described here, which is basically the same idea.

That recipe seems to be a 100% hydration dough, which seems difficult to work with. How do find shaping/folding?

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

I find this confusing.

So, water doesn't weigh the same as flour... but starter is half flour and half water by weight? That seems like it contradicts itself to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong...

It seems like, since the starter is comprised of 2 cups water and 2 cups flour, shouldn't a cup full be half a cup of water, half a cup of flour? I really don't get this.

Say I'm using this recipe: http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/laura-calder/the-miracle-boule.html which I've made a few times successfully, but I wanted to use my starter in it. How would you go about it? I was picturing leaving out a half cup of flour and a half cup of water, and putting a full cup of starter in it.

half and half by weight means what it sounds like (though if you were raised measuring by volume like me it would sound weird and confusing) it means an equal weight of both, e.g. 100g of water and 100g of flour.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Brawnfire posted:

I find this confusing.

You're confusing or not distinguishing between volume and mass. A cup is a unit of volume, and a pound/gram is a unit of weight (technically mass, but let's not get into that). A cup is a volume measurement so when you measure out 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water you get the same volume of each. But water and flour don't weigh the same, they have different densities, so if you were to weigh each cup of flour and water then they'r going to weigh different amounts.

Now that we've got that out of the way: measuring solid stuff like flour, onions, potatoes, etc, by volume is a completely idiotic and stupid thing that only Americans seem to do. If you use a spoon to scoop out flour into your cup vs. using the measuring cup to scoop out flour directly you're going to end up with the same 1 cup volume but completely different weights which may or may not gently caress up what you're doing. 1 cup of very finely chopped onions isn't the same as 1 cup of coarsely chopping onions either and so on. Don't use volume measurements unless you're measuring liquids and gasses.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think it's an overstatement to define measurements by volume as "completely idiotic and stupid" given that the majority of recipes do not require the precision of weight measurements and many talented cooks do not measure their ingredients by either popularly accepted standard.

Measurement by weight is ideal for baking, but volume and eye measurements are completely adequate for many other kinds of cooking.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oooh, I get it now. So I should probably get a scale...

PatMarshall posted:

That recipe uses a poolish fermented overnight; I would just follow the recipe as written, but inoculate the poolish with about 10-15 grams of starter, then let it ferment for 12 hours to 24 hours. You will likely need to allow more time to proof as natural leavening generally takes longer than commercial yeast. I've only been baking seriously for about a month, however, so I may be off, but I've had success following the method described here, which is basically the same idea.

That recipe seems to be a 100% hydration dough, which seems difficult to work with. How do find shaping/folding?

Thanks! I'm a very patient/slow bread maker, so I don't mind waiting a long time for bread to rise.

Thanks for the advice on how to work the starter into this recipe! I'm going to try tomorrow.

It's turned out for me very well following the recipe as written. The dough is very moist, but using a well-floured surface, a peel, and a goodly amount of wheat bran, I can work with it fairly well. Also, doing all the shaping really, really fast so it doesn't have a chance to stick.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I love baking bread!
First bread using my baking stone :eng101: This is one is a bit :pwn: but it was very tasty anyway.

I really want to try one of these bread using poolish. Does anyone have a simple recipe handy?

Zerok
Feb 23, 2014
My wife and I are doing our own bread since the beginning of the year

We're getting better at it. Next step is to make those cuts on the top of the loaf look nicer.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Le0 posted:

I love baking bread!
First bread using my baking stone :eng101: This is one is a bit :pwn: but it was very tasty anyway.

I really want to try one of these bread using poolish. Does anyone have a simple recipe handy?

Gorgeous!

Poolishes are really easy. Just mix a small amount of yeast with equal parts flour and water (by weight) and let ferment for one hour at room temperature and then overnight in the fridge (or whatever fermentation schedule works for you). Here's the recipe I used that got me into baking bread; it was pretty easy and gave good results. The whole site is really good, they give clear instructions and good recipes, although I usually kick up the hydration a little as apparently they are baking with flour that does not absorb much water.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I travel to Poland quite often. The daily bread there is really nice.
They use potato flour in it (not only), the rest sounds more usual.
Has anyone ever used it ? Any suggestions (ratio to other flours, how much water etc) ?
Could it be something else that makes this bread special ? It's very very slightly graying beige inside, and has an amazing thin crunch but not hard crust.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spatule posted:

I travel to Poland quite often. The daily bread there is really nice.
They use potato flour in it (not only), the rest sounds more usual.
Has anyone ever used it ? Any suggestions (ratio to other flours, how much water etc) ?
Could it be something else that makes this bread special ? It's very very slightly graying beige inside, and has an amazing thin crunch but not hard crust.

There are recipes where you just throw a cup of mashed potatoes into the dough

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/potato-buns-recipe.html

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

I'm not sure if muffins really fit in with this thread but I couldn't find a muffin megathread! These are some of the best muffins I have personally ever made.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour (+ 2 teaspoons for coating apples)
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (+ ½ teaspoon for coating apples)
2 cups diced apples
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup milk
For the Topping:
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup granulated sugar
6 cups ground cinnamon
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray muffin tins with bakers spray or coat well with shortening or butter and flour, making sure to discard any excess flour from the tins after coating.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Toss together diced apples and 2 teaspoons of flour to coat apples in a separate bowl. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar until lightened in color, about 3 minutes. Add an egg, one at a time, taking care to fully incorporate before adding the other. Mix in vanilla.
Gently fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk. Stir until just combined. Fold in diced apples and scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling about ⅔ to ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Prepare topping for muffins while the muffins are baking by melting the butter and allowing to cool slightly. Pour butter into a separate bowl sized easy for dipping tops of muffins. Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.
Once muffins have baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the muffin tin. Then, remove each muffin and dip first into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place onto a plate to finish cooling.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
A couple of months ago I started making bread again. My goal has been to replicate loaves with the same shape and rise as store bought and in the past few weeks, I've succeeded!

This is a "fruit and fiber" bread based on a recipe from Baba-a-Louis's Bakery in Chester, VT. Besides being the best bakery I've been to in VT, they also sold a cookbook for their recipes for only $13.

This bread has a pink hue due to the cranberries.

El Rodento
Feb 12, 2007

STUPID GOD DAMN SKELETON ARMY BASTARDS I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT THE-
Tonight I made some pretzels!

They are delicious.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I don't do a lot of baking, but I do occasionally try my hand at stuff like hamburger buns. I've tried the CI/ATK "potato burger buns" recipe several times over the last year with very mixed results. The recipe calls for bread flour, which you don't typically find in stores in Canada. I've been lead to believe Canadian AP flour should be high enough protein to substitute, but please correct me if I'm an idiot.

Here is the recipe from some random blog:

http://sundaydinnerfortwo.blogspot.ca/p/recipe-potato-burger-buns.html

The issue I have is that the buns often end up looking like the photo in the blog: kind of unevenly browned and poorly risen. They tend to sink even more once they cool. This varies by batch, and often there will be a few good ones out of 9. The first batch I ever made was absolutely perfect; the next batch was one step removed from chewy pancakes.

I've noticed the dough takes nowhere near as long to get sticky as the recipe claims. It comes together and starts to stick to the bowl in about 4 minutes, and anything much longer just gives me a bowl of glue. The dough is heavy and seems to need a longer rise than the recipe suggests, but I've never tried that. I'd imagine the uneven browning has to do with applying the eggwash too sparingly, but I'm not sure what I can do to get the buns to rise more reliably. CI claims low-protein bread will give flat rolls, but what else can I use in Canada? I think there is usually one kind of "bread" flour available at the supermarket, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

My first batch last summer (these were amazing):

Last night:

The best rolls from last night:

The worst rolls from last night:

If anyone has a good potato bun recipe that uses mashed potatoes to try, I'm all ears. I really like the fluffy chewy texture. At the supermarket I pretty much have the choice of giant panini rolls or Wonder bread type hamburger rolls, so they're totally worth the effort.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I tried some "best for bread" flour and the dough fell apart even faster. This is after 3 1/2 minutes on setting 2 with my KA mixer. I'm guessing it's not about to become "soft and slightly sticky" if I knead it for 8-10 minutes like the recipe says?

What CI claims it should produce:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

El Rodento posted:

Tonight I made some pretzels!

They are delicious.

Tell me your secret. Or I will take it from your cooling corpse.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bob_McBob posted:

I tried some "best for bread" flour and the dough fell apart even faster. This is after 3 1/2 minutes on setting 2 with my KA mixer. I'm guessing it's not about to become "soft and slightly sticky" if I knead it for 8-10 minutes like the recipe says?

What CI claims it should produce:

Without knowing anything else it looks like your dough is more of a batter, you can try adding small amounts of flour (very small amounts very slowly) to make it slightly more dry. Alternatively it could just be undermixed. An autolyse and a couple stretch and folds can turn a shaggy batter into a plumb dough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
8-10 minutes might be the time for hand kneading; 8-10 minutes on a KA is almost certainly too long. I use mine for 3-3.5 minutes for kneading a loaf, turning the dough once or twice to make sure it kneads evenly.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

quote:

Combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in bowl of stand mixer. Add warm potato mixture to flour mixture and mix with hands
until combined (some large lumps are OK). Add 1 egg and reserved potato water; mix with dough hook on low speed until dough is soft and slightly sticky, 8 to 10 minutes.

Maybe just a hydration issue? This is a new batch I'm making with the "best for bread flour" but only 1 tbsp of the cooking water added. The recipe says the dough starts out very dry and takes several minutes to actually come together before it's really being properly kneaded. I assume that's why it calls for such a long mixing time?

Seems promising so far.

The sticky batch was a nightmare to work with, but the results are at least edible. Nowhere near as much rise as I'm looking for because they spread out too much:

El Rodento
Feb 12, 2007

STUPID GOD DAMN SKELETON ARMY BASTARDS I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT THE-

LoonShia posted:

Tell me your secret. Or I will take it from your cooling corpse.

I got the recipe here. I went with the baking soda option instead of investing in food-grade lye, and word-to-the-wise: the baking soda solution boils over pretty easily so I'd recommend dropping the temperature once you hit boil. On my range Medium to Medium-High was enough to maintain the boil without frothing over.

Edit: also, the hydration is so low (49%) that it takes some kneading before all the flour will incorporate, so don't be surprised if you have to work at it a couple minutes before you get past the shaggy mass phase.

El Rodento fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 29, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

This is a new batch I'm making with the "best for bread flour" but only 1 tbsp of the cooking water added.

I'm pretty pleased with this batch:

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

El Rodento posted:

I got the recipe here. I went with the baking soda option instead of investing in food-grade lye, and word-to-the-wise: the baking soda solution boils over pretty easily so I'd recommend dropping the temperature once you hit boil. On my range Medium to Medium-High was enough to maintain the boil without frothing over.

Do yourself a favor and get some lye. Nothing else gives that color and flavor. I get mine from Essential Depot. Pick up some latex gloves, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What is this? This is a chemical burn.

I need to get some lye and make pretzels. I'm jonesing pretty bad from this thread.

poliander
Oct 31, 2013
Half a kilo white flour, same with wholemeal.
Olive oil, salt, yeast (table spoon, 2 table spoon). Water and mix.
However. I have found when mixing in stead of "flouring" the bench, I use olive oil in stead.
Then have it raise. Do the same one more time then pop in oven no matter what the shape you are chasing.

I will see if i can grab a picture or two because not only does it look awesome it is quite delicious too :).

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

WhoIsYou posted:

Do yourself a favor and get some lye. Nothing else gives that color and flavor. I get mine from Essential Depot. Pick up some latex gloves, too.
Absolutely. I spent three years working on getting a pretzel recipe right, and I'm here to tell you it needs lard and lye.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
So here's a dumb newbie question: if I want to make a bread absolutely filled to the brim with raisins and hazelnuts and so on, does the bread rise around it, or does it divide them as it rises?
In other words, will I have a bread that's half bread, with all the yummy filling stuck on the bottom, or does the goodness get pushed up and around as the bread rises?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

shelper posted:

So here's a dumb newbie question: if I want to make a bread absolutely filled to the brim with raisins and hazelnuts and so on, does the bread rise around it, or does it divide them as it rises?
In other words, will I have a bread that's half bread, with all the yummy filling stuck on the bottom, or does the goodness get pushed up and around as the bread rises?

If it is properly incorporated the dough will rise around it.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

dedian posted:

... BBA sourdough starter adventures ...

Just a few things I've learned since I re-started my sourdough starter, with the process from Bread Baker's Apprentice. (I don't have a ton of baking experience, and even less with wild yeast starters...) Following the instructions from BBA left me with a starter after four days or so that had a few bubbles but didn't do anything near "rising". Bread made with it DID rise, but it still took about 7-8 hours primary, and was pretty dense.

I figured I may as well keep feeding the starter and not refrigerate it - doing feeds of 4oz starter, 4oz flour and 4oz water, I probably fed for another four days or so, every 12 hours. Somewhere in there I used the dark rye used at the start of the process in one of the feeds, and after that things really took off. The final two feeds were crazy, the first at least tripled, the last was pushing the lid off the container the starter was in. So THAT'S "active" :)

I made a loaf of the regular sourdough from BBA and it was completely improved from my previous attempts, and didn't take 8 hours to ferment! Soft, airy, nutty/sweet taste, not sour but I guess that might take a while to develop in the starter? I still need to work on slashing and getting conditions right for oven spring.

Anyways, it's pretty awesome building up a starter, actually having it work, and get delicious bread out of it. Next things up is subbing starter for yeast in other recipes, and figuring out how to use baker's percentages to better do that.

:words: bread is awesome, always make bread :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've dried my sourdough for preservation. Should I stick it in the freezer or can it survive long-term in my pantry? It gets about 100F in LA during the summer.

Also, in its dried form can I vacuum seal it or will vacuuming kill the critters?

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

My first bread! :3:

A few things learned:
- It was a bit undercooked, probably because I'm a huge idiot and opened the door too much.
- I thought i read somewhere that if you want to add seeds and things to the crust, not to add them when you put the bread in, as they'll burn. Instead i waited ten minutes in, THEN added the seeds, but by that time the crust was already hard, next time I'll just add them at the start.
- But most importantly: BUY A drat BREAD KNIFE. The shape was SO GOOD, but it became all squished because i forgot i don't own a drat BREAD KNIFE.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Yeah just dampen the loaf with a wet towel then roll it in seeds or sprinkle them on. They shouldn't burn.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

shelper posted:

My first bread! :3:

A few things learned:
- It was a bit undercooked, probably because I'm a huge idiot and opened the door too much.
- I thought i read somewhere that if you want to add seeds and things to the crust, not to add them when you put the bread in, as they'll burn. Instead i waited ten minutes in, THEN added the seeds, but by that time the crust was already hard, next time I'll just add them at the start.
- But most importantly: BUY A drat BREAD KNIFE. The shape was SO GOOD, but it became all squished because i forgot i don't own a drat BREAD KNIFE.

That looks fantastic as a first attempt.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

I really couldn't believe how easy it was. I was fully expecting my first two-three breads to end up in the garbage.
Now I'm going to try a new bread every sunday.

Thanks thread, couldn't have done this without you. :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Looks great! My latest effort was really weird looking, I'm having a lot of trouble with shaping high hydration dough, then keeping the shape together when loading my dutch oven and scoring. It just seems to spread out like a pancake when I remove it from the banneton.

As far as slicing, I find I get a cleaner cut with a good sharp chef's knife, but in any case a sharp knife makes a lot of difference.