Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

God what a cute pit. They have the best grins :3:

Here's another picture of Zeus, taken with my sister on the day we first got him at eight weeks old, and then exactly a year later:

Christopher Robin fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Skizzles posted:

I dunno how much you know about pits, but this is a pure APBT: http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/-%20New%20Folder%20(2)/Customer%20Pics/MartysLilBitVelcro.jpg (countdown to Super coming in to tell me I posted a horrible example or something, looks like it's related to Lil Bit?)

This is not an APBT (it's an abomination): http://images03.olx-st.com/ui/1/15/63/4491263_1.jpg

Don't ask PI to get into the whole "what really makes a dog an APBT" discussion, because we've been through that and it's... a mess. You appear to just have a generic adorable shelter pit there. Those socks. :3:

I can't be the only person who misses the closed threads v0v.

RE: Content - I feel like I was ignorant after my dogs got to be more or less grown (Artemis is capped at about 45lbs now and she looks like she's fully grown, not lanky like a puppy, and Jada is 60+ish lbs and still has some growing to do) and I feel like I always thought dogs were way bigger than they turned out to be. Artemis and Jada are med-large dogs from what I understand and bigger dogs (80-100+lbs) are in a category of their own. I've started to understand that 'regular' sized dogs are actually smaller in reality than they are in my mind, so maybe it's something similar here? You're used to seeing/hearing about beefcakes that Skizzles posted (holy poo poo RIPPED by the way even that first picture) and in actuality the 30-40 lbs is more accurate.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
Laika has developed some wrinkles - we know she's a Shepherd mix but we're unsure of what else is in this mix. When she was a puppy the vet thought she might be a Great Dane/Shepherd mix but she's only 70lbs. I'm still thinking some Lab since they're common and her fur feels just like a Lab. Any ideas?

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Royal Jeans posted:

Laika has developed some wrinkles - we know she's a Shepherd mix but we're unsure of what else is in this mix. When she was a puppy the vet thought she might be a Great Dane/Shepherd mix but she's only 70lbs. I'm still thinking some Lab since they're common and her fur feels just like a Lab. Any ideas?

To me the face looks so much like a Basenji's.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Royal Jeans posted:

Lab x pit x shepherd. I can feel the lab texture in her fur just seeing those photos, and pit and shepherd would give those ears and worry wrinkles :3

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

bacon! posted:

I just got Hopper from a local rescue two weeks ago. The rescue thinks she's a chihuahua, but my vet thinks she's a dachsund/german shephard mix. She's 5 months old and right now weighs less than 12 pounds.

What do you guys think?

I'd just like to say I have met this beast and it is actually 100% pure opossum.

Please post some .gifs as proof, bacon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In our never ending quest to find out what else is in our Pom Beagle mix, have a video of her...pouncing like a cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZq9iHbWY1U

She does this all the time. What puppies do this?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

In our never ending quest to find out what else is in our Pom Beagle mix, have a video of her...pouncing like a cat?

Jada does that, it's hilarious. She's also on the + side of 60lbs so when she lands on testicles it is a :( day

e: Jada is a (probably) rott/gsd ish type mix

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FizFashizzle posted:

Our full grown lab mix plays like a cat all the time, she also loves cats so I think she might have been raised with them (we got her a few months ago). She likes to lay on her back and either hold a toy in her paws and chew on it or hold it in her mouth and paw at it. She also sleeps on her back with her paws sticking up in the air.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
This is Lizzie:

She is part Australian Shepherd and part Blue Heeler. (And three months old)

This is Rufus:

He is part Husky and part Australian Shepherd. (Just shy of three years old)

This is Rufus being upset I interrupted playtime:

He is roughly as fierce as dryer lint.

Mutts all day every day.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Wondering if anyone has opinions on what our new puppy might be:

Oliver at the shelter

Oliver trying out his new bed for the first time

Oliver and Kermit

Shelter listed him as a spaniel/labrador, retriever mix. I see lab because of the color and his face, but at 5.5 months he's only around 28 lbs. and his ears look terrier or collie to me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McCloud24 posted:

Oliver at the shelter

WHat a classy fellow :)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

He kind of reminds me of my friend's blonde border collie. I think it's the ears.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

a life less posted:

He kind of reminds me of my friend's blonde border collie. I think it's the ears.

That was our thinking. I've had a border collie mix in the past, and my wife's parents currently have a purebred border on their farm, and the ears instantly reminded us of that.

Krile
Dec 26, 2003

McCloud24 posted:

Wondering if anyone has opinions on what our new puppy might be:

Oliver at the shelter

That puppy is super adorable. I would guess blonde australian kelpie pup mix.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
This is my four-year old mutt, Copper. I found him and the rest of his litter in a ditch coming back from hunting a while back. I brought them all to my local vet and his brothers and sisters found good homes, but I had to keep him - he looked too much like my previous mutt who just passed. He was such an adorable puppy!

Then he grew up to be a 150 pound dog with a head so big he didn't have enough teeth to fill it. Also he can wear my clothes! He's a super sweetheart though, he loves my nieces and nephews and is such a gentle giant.

He's also very vocal. He's about ten seconds from whining and barking at me to stop taking pictures and pet him.

Joke's on you, boy, time to play dress-up. I wish I had a good picture of him in one of my sweatshirts.

Also pictured, a not-mutt, Murphy. Its always funny that Murphy has to run in big circles when they play, but Copper only has to move his neck.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 27, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

LeJackal posted:

Also pictured, a not-mutt, Murphy. Its always funny that Murphy has to run in big circles when they play, but Copper only has to move his neck.

Well that is loving adorable. He really just looks like a yellow lab to me but with gigantism genes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

pizzadog posted:

Well that is loving adorable. He really just looks like a yellow lab to me but with gigantism genes.

You could be right, he's very yellow-lab-like, including webbed toes and a love of retrieving. If you throw his tennis balls and stuff in the pool he will fetch those until he's exhausted. You also might be right about gigantism, too, as according to the vet his brothers and sisters from the same litter top out at like 80ish pounds and not nearly his height.

He thinks he's a herding dog, though, because when he was a baby puppy-dog we had a pair of Australian Shepherds that he thought were his mommy and daddy. His herding techniques are pretty crude, but when you're as big as he is it doesn't matter so much.

Here are more pictures.

Murphy and Copper are super good friends, even if they are very competitive for attention.

No surprise, because Copper is a really chill dog when he's not spooked by loud noises.

Seriously, he's very scared of fireworks. He refuses to go outside during New Years and such unless you walk right beside him and stand close.

In the summertime he often gets shaved. My nephew is just old enough that it confuses him. "You made Copper white!" Its cute.

Here Copper and Murphy are playing on the floor of my niece's room, hence all the mess and pink.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

He's a big & beautiful boy! He could stand to lose a few pounds though! (Or.. a lot of pounds.) On a big guy like that I would think it's particularly important to keep him at a good weight.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

a life less posted:

He's a big & beautiful boy! He could stand to lose a few pounds though! (Or.. a lot of pounds.) On a big guy like that I would think it's particularly important to keep him at a good weight.

I've been concerned about that too. At one point he was almost at 180 pounds. :ohdear: That was pretty alarming, but we put him on a diet and added more backyard fetching to his schedule, plus now he plays with Murphy a lot. He's down to about 140 or 150 now, which is a much better weight for him. He is still huge, of course - he can put his chin right on top of the dining room table while standing. Still thinks he can fit in your lap, of course.

He's also afraid of tight spaces, too, anyplace he can't see a place a to turn around in fact. When he does get trapped its adorably cute because he'll keep trying to look behind himself as he takes teeny itty bitty steps backwards. Its like he's trying to back up a big truck!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah he's definitely a pudgy pudge. :3: Shaving dogs is REALLY unnecessary, and can even be harmful. The tl;dr of it is their coats are adapted to keep them warm in winter AND cool in summer - the guard hairs trap cool air against the skin and reflect the sun. The undercoat should be brushed out though (can't tell if your pup has much of an undercoat though, on my phone).

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

What do y'all think Sophie could be? We got her after she came up in my grandmother's yard with two other dogs. I'm thinking she's a beagle-something mix but I'm not really well-versed in dog breeds.

Any ideas?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Looks like a beagle x jack russel. Cute.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Based on what I see I would also go with beagle/jack russell. Got any body shots of her?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Lintwhite posted:

Any ideas?

A cutie! :3:

I agree with the previous posters, a Jack Russel and a beagle had an adorable baby.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Ulysses is a ~9 month old labby something. He was 50 lbs about 2 months ago, haven't weighed him since. Super food motivated, somewhat stubborn, howls occasionally, not really a fan of water... He's super leggy, but that might be partially due to being neutered at 8 weeks. We think he must have some kinda hound in him, what do you guys think?

Lookin all regal and poo poo

Best body shot I could find

Wrasslin with his best buddy Stella who is like a third his size.

My girlfriend just got a DNA test for him for her birthday but we realize that those aren't the most accurate things in the world.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Senordingdong posted:

Ulysses is a ~9 month old labby something. He was 50 lbs about 2 months ago, haven't weighed him since. Super food motivated, somewhat stubborn, howls occasionally, not really a fan of water... He's super leggy, but that might be partially due to being neutered at 8 weeks. We think he must have some kinda hound in him, what do you guys think?

Lookin all regal and poo poo

Best body shot I could find

I'm gonna say lab x husky.

The beagle/jack is definitely a beagle/jack in my humble opinion. Pretty common cross for BYBs/puppy mills.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Some more stuff for you guys.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Haven't posted a pupdate of Lucy in awhile, so here's my 2 year old wondermutt shepherdy pit thing

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I keep spewing out pictures of Maia in threads where they don't belong so here:

I'm told she's a German Shepherd/Beagle mix, but I'm thinking she's a purebred Orange Eyebrow Adoradog

Royal Hammer
Mar 26, 2014
Cici here is maybe half Dachshund, and half something else shaggy!
She runs pretty funny, basically flailing her legs around little lassoes.
(I think it has something to do with her previous owners not feeding her right)
She's also a lot smarter than any purebred dachshund I've met, and is great at outsmarting her owners when they think their food is safe!

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Royal Hammer posted:

Cici here is maybe half Dachshund, and half something else shaggy!
She runs pretty funny, basically flailing her legs around little lassoes.
(I think it has something to do with her previous owners not feeding her right)
She's also a lot smarter than any purebred dachshund I've met, and is great at outsmarting her owners when they think their food is safe!

She looks like most longhair Dachshunds I've seen. Must see more pictures for analysis. :colbert:

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Dead Pikachu posted:

She looks like most longhair Dachshunds I've seen. Must see more pictures for analysis. :colbert:

Yeah, looks quite a bit like my parents' dog. She's a rescue, so they can't be 100% sure she's purebred, but a couple of breeders took a look at her and said her confirmation was perfect, so they think she was just one of those random purebred dogs that ended up on the street.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

McCloud24 posted:

Yeah, looks quite a bit like my parents' dog. She's a rescue, so they can't be 100% sure she's purebred, but a couple of breeders took a look at her and said her confirmation was perfect, so they think she was just one of those random purebred dogs that ended up on the street.

It's odd how that happens. We found a Corgi running around our neighborhood a while back that was well groomed and had a collar but no tags at all and no chip when we took it to the vet to check. Never did find the owner and someone else in the neighborhood adopted it. What kind of idiot spends $700-$1000+ on a dog, but doesn't spend the $2-3 for a tag with their phone number or a little more for a microchip?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

It's odd how that happens. We found a Corgi running around our neighborhood a while back that was well groomed and had a collar but no tags at all and no chip when we took it to the vet to check. Never did find the owner and someone else in the neighborhood adopted it. What kind of idiot spends $700-$1000+ on a dog, but doesn't spend the $2-3 for a tag with their phone number or a little more for a microchip?

My chihuahua isn't microchipped and she never wears tags. I think she was purchased from a pet store for $1,500. Though, I am a bad owner. My Aussie is microchipped, but collarless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Here chips are mandatory. I think it's pretty good.

Royal Hammer
Mar 26, 2014

Dead Pikachu posted:

Sure- here's another pic of her. Her body looks long and dachshund-y, but her walk and fur look more like a poodle (maybe?) than a dachshund.
Most longhaired dachshunds I've seen have straighter hair, and shorter legs. (it was hard as hell to get her to sit still for this pic!)

Maybe it could just be that she didn't develop right as a puppy. I understand that prior to being rescued,
she spent most of her time chained up in a backyard, surviving on a diet of mostly bugs, and whatever she could catch.
Not to be the debbie downer in this thread, but gently caress her previous owners.

And she is wearing a tag, it's just covered by her massive amounts of frizzy hair.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Royal Hammer posted:

Sure- here's another pic of her. Her body looks long and dachshund-y, but her walk and fur look more like a poodle (maybe?) than a dachshund.
Most longhaired dachshunds I've seen have straighter hair, and shorter legs. (it was hard as hell to get her to sit still for this pic!)

Still looks like my parents' dog to me, albeit with longer hair. Same waviness though, and markings. Body is stockier though, at least from that angle.

Royal Hammer
Mar 26, 2014
Who knows, maybe she is purebred. I've just always operated under the assumption that she isn't.
You think a good breeder could ID her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

More reliably than a DNA test, surely. My parents just happened to take their dog to a horse show, and if you know anything about horse shows you probably know that half of the people who hang out at them are dog breeders. She happened to run into a dachle breeder who took a look and asked his wife, also a breeder, to take a look as well. No way to be sure from that, really, but it couldn't hurt if you know someone