Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a consensus on the 2012 MCSA vs. 2008? I'm leaning toward 2012, but I can't articulate why. Also, is there a preferred order for taking the tests?

I'm still waiting for there to an actually decent book released for any of the exams...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

TKovacs2 posted:

I'm still waiting for there to an actually decent book released for any of the exams...

If you're not heart set on books the MS Virtual Academy is quite nice. Today they just posted training for 70-417 (http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/upgrade-skills-to-windows-server-2012-jump-start#?fbid=EtfTq1kVZc5)

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Nebulis01 posted:

If you're not heart set on books the MS Virtual Academy is quite nice. Today they just posted training for 70-417 (http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/upgrade-skills-to-windows-server-2012-jump-start#?fbid=EtfTq1kVZc5)

I prefer books and lab exercises to video courses, but MSVA's videos are really well done.

At the moment though, they don't have any training for the 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412 exams yet. I struggled though the 70-410 but passed just using the MS Press book and messing around in VM's. Tried 70-411 and failed twice looking over Technet and again messing around in VM's. Waiting for some actual materials to come out to study with before attempting again.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

TKovacs2 posted:

For god's sake, seriously. In the old days it was "here's a new cert, here's the books", now they actually expect us to figure these things out on our own or something. It's not right I tells ya!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
What the hell? I always figured that overpriced books were a good part of the revenue stream that was the entire POINT of these certifications???

edit: aha, it looks like we just got some about a month ago. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_p...Redirected=true

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 24, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Those are exam references and NOT self-paced study guides. They'll help you prep for the test, but if you're green they won't help you much.

This is why there are no books yet. Pearson is taking over production of the MS press books.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 25, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ah, gross. That's pretty lame.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
70-680 stuff: I've read through the Microsoft Training Kit, lurked other forums, watched Prof Messer's entire series for the 70-680 (and listen to them in mp3 format on my commute to/from work), watched most of the CBT Nuggets on it (I really don't like how distracted that guy gets), and taken a few practice tests. I'm planning on testing next week. For the rest of this week I am planning on going through the practice labs from the Training Kit DVD.

I've read about people using VirtualBox and the full featured evaluations from the Technet Evaluation Center to practice more in depth... is that worth doing? Is VirtualBox easy enough to pick up that I won't have to lose out on study time trying to learn it? Should I just stick with the practice labs from the DVD?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
For anyone interested in the JNCIA, I found a really great online workbook:

http://www.junosworkbook.com/workbooks/jncia

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a consensus on the 2012 MCSA vs. 2008? I'm leaning toward 2012, but I can't articulate why. Also, is there a preferred order for taking the tests?

I'd say go 2k8 and wait for the books on 2012, but a better reason: in my experience, it's not really a huge imperative for most midsize places to move to 2012 very quickly. Hell, my last job only made 2008 their official server OS at the end of 2011 and had zero interest in 2012. My current job is looking at 2012 but only for new builds - we aren't upgrading.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

QPZIL posted:

For anyone interested in the JNCIA, I found a really great online workbook:

http://www.junosworkbook.com/workbooks/jncia

To add to this, Juniper themselves also offer a (roughly) 5 hour online course that covers the basics of Networking. I really recommend it, it's very concise. Search "Juniper Networking Fundamentals" to find it on their site.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Brocade also has a lot of study and eduction resources both for fibre channel and networking.

http://www.brocade.com/education/certification-accreditation/index.page (bottom of the page)

You can also sign up for their MyBrocade Training and there's more tutorials, courses, and practice tests.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's some really cool and free stuff -could we get that all sorted out and added to the OP?

I'll work on it later tonight when I'm not on my phone...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah just shoot it to me in a PM and I'll add it.

While we're on the subject - F5 also offers free online classes for their stuff at https://login.f5.com/resource/login.jsp?ctx=719748&referral=university

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've read about people using VirtualBox and the full featured evaluations from the Technet Evaluation Center to practice more in depth... is that worth doing? Is VirtualBox easy enough to pick up that I won't have to lose out on study time trying to learn it? Should I just stick with the practice labs from the DVD?

VMware player is a bit easier and straight forward, also free. Virtual box has a very small learning curve.

Also anyone wanting books today is BOGO for some VMware books http://professionalvmware.com/2014/03/buy-one-get-one-free-virtualization-books/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 25, 2014

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Anyone got recommendations for VCP-DCV for vSphere 5.5?
I've been using Vsphere on a daily basis for the last couple of years, but there's a lot of new stuff and things that I wasn't even aware of.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TeMpLaR posted:

Anyone have any NetApp certs? Started studying for NCDA and drat does it seem tricky.

I've got the NCDA and NCIE. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

theperminator posted:

Anyone got recommendations for VCP-DCV for vSphere 5.5?
I've been using Vsphere on a daily basis for the last couple of years, but there's a lot of new stuff and things that I wasn't even aware of.

Aside from the fast track course, I don't know of many.

The VCP5 test should still be available to take though.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
You should still be able to take the VCP5 exam up until a few months after the VCP6 exam becomes available, so I wouldn't sweat a hypothetical deadline at this point - you've got time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You should still be able to take the VCP5 exam up until a few months after the VCP6 exam becomes available, so I wouldn't sweat a hypothetical deadline at this point - you've got time.

So I am in no rush to take the VCP510 exam as it will remain available?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

So I am in no rush to take the VCP510 exam as it will remain available?

Take it before VMworld so before august. I'm not saying that's when it ends, but I STRONGLY suggest taking it before then.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

true but there is a 5.5 exam out there that is probably going to have a longer life span than 510

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Take it before VMworld so before august. I'm not saying that's when it ends, but I STRONGLY suggest taking it before then.

Yea, I cannot imagine not finding the time to sit it before then. Gracias.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone here do the CIW certs? Is the material provided by CIW sufficient?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tomorrow I take my S+

Finished the book in the OP, and went through the practice test (93/100).

I'm looking for online practice exams (was hoping for one of those that has a pool of 400 or something) and this is the top result:

http://www.proprofs.com/mwiki/index.php/Comptia_Security+_Certification_Exam

Most of these questions aren't covered at all in the book, so now I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if this is from an older version?

Is there a better practice resource that I'm not finding?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Any CISSPs here that wouldn't mind sponsoring me?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

psydude posted:

I know some, could you make a trip to Hampton roads? I can get a few to vouch for you.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Tomorrow I take my S+

Finished the book in the OP, and went through the practice test (93/100).

I'm looking for online practice exams (was hoping for one of those that has a pool of 400 or something) and this is the top result:

http://www.proprofs.com/mwiki/index.php/Comptia_Security+_Certification_Exam

Most of these questions aren't covered at all in the book, so now I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if this is from an older version?

Is there a better practice resource that I'm not finding?

Probably too late now, but Darril Gibson has a pool of 468 questions for 15 bucks on his site here http://gcgapremium.com/security/ptqs/

Starting this as soon as I get my 70-680 done next week.

An instructor told me "If you study Gibson's book and go over those questions, I gaurantee you'll pass first try"

Then I asked him if that was a financial guarantee and he said no. But I am holding him to it.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

psydude posted:

An option is to go to your local College and talk to some of the IT or STEM Professors. I know a few people that ETS'ed and got their sponsorship that way.

Im taking my CISSP in May; CEH in early June. My brain hurts already...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Probably too late now, but Darril Gibson has a pool of 468 questions for 15 bucks on his site here http://gcgapremium.com/security/ptqs/

Starting this as soon as I get my 70-680 done next week.

An instructor told me "If you study Gibson's book and go over those questions, I gaurantee you'll pass first try"

Then I asked him if that was a financial guarantee and he said no. But I am holding him to it.

It was too late, but I passed. Get Gibson's book, it's $10 for kindle. Amazingly comprehensive.

On to CCNA or something else now. Tried it back in 2004 and failed by something like 8 points. Never took it again due to my life going to poo poo.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 27, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

OhDearGodNo posted:

It was too late, but I passed. Get Gibson's book, it's $10 for kindle. Amazingly comprehensive.

On to CCNA or something else now. Tried it back in 2004 and failed by something like 8 points. Never took it again due to my life going to poo poo.

Good to hear, congrats.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Finished the SANS GSEC 401 training last week, waiting for my voucher to test. Anybody take this and have any insight? I'm indexing the gently caress out of the 6 class books, will read the books again and do all the labs again, bought the Network Security Bible (since it's by the same dude who wrote the course, and has an index), have a Unix/Linux reference guide, etc. Haven't gotten access to the practice tests yet either.

Hex and crypto suck, by the way.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
The SEC 401 test isn't that bad. It's just irritatingly broad with network, linux, and windows content. Aside from the items you mentioned you may want to print out the help or man page for a few things:

net on windows
netstat on windows
netstat on linux
nmap
netcat
tcpdump
tshark

list of common wireshark display filters
list of port numbers/services

I'm probably running a lot of the 401/503/504 prep I did all together though. You'll know where you stand when you take your first practice test.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To add to this, Juniper themselves also offer a (roughly) 5 hour online course that covers the basics of Networking. I really recommend it, it's very concise. Search "Juniper Networking Fundamentals" to find it on their site.

To add to this even more, if you're going from a CCNA to a JNCIA-Junos, search "JunOS as a second language" for a nice introduction to JunOS that assumes basic fluency in IOS, and illustrates the difference between them.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

psyopmonkey posted:

An option is to go to your local College and talk to some of the IT or STEM Professors. I know a few people that ETS'ed and got their sponsorship that way.

I eventually want to get both of those. What did you use to study for the CEH?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

rock2much posted:

I eventually want to get both of those. What did you use to study for the CEH?

Ive been using this and this.

Some of the guys I work with right now have taken the CEH and said that you could just memorize a test dumb and take it. Having a background in the subject material always helps. CEH is more a technical cert while CISSP is more managerial.

If your looking at getting into a job that utilizes DOD 8570.01 its usually best practice to start with Sec+ and then move on to CISSP. CEH is used for incident handling jobs or CND type positions that will also require CISSP or CISM.

Here is a chart of how 8570 is laid out; with emphasis on ISC2 certs.

CISSP and CEH are a great combo along with a higher level security clearance to make some serious :10bux:.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psyopmonkey posted:

Unfortunately I'm still deployed. I guess I could head on over to the help desk and see if anyone at the J6 has one.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

psydude posted:

Unfortunately I'm still deployed. I guess I could head on over to the help desk and see if anyone at the J6 has one.

Hit me up with a PM or message me at attackoftheem@gmail.com...

I might be able to find someone for you.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Look into your IA chain, there has to be someone in it that can sponsor you.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Any tips on studying for Security+? I'm about to dive into the David Prowse AUTHORIZED CERT GUIDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For anyone doing CCNA stuff the Odom libary is like $34 Bux right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-200-120-Official-Library/dp/1587143879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396364315&sr=8-1&keywords=odom+ccna