Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Man, the ToQGer crossover will probably be pretty fun but I need the next episode now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW AWESOME KACHIDOKI ARMS TURNED OUT TO BE. IT LITERALLY BLEW AWAY ALL MY EXPECTATIONS.

ALSO THE poo poo WITH SAGARA WAS loving RAD, OH MAN MORE AWESOME MYSTERIES

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

A raw for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7sSVenHotg

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I said it before and I'll say it again: gently caress you people and your tantalizing black boxes! :argh:

Time to go :f5: at Aesir like a mad man. :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again: gently caress you people and your tantalizing black boxes! :argh:

Time to go :f5: at Aesir like a mad man. :smith:

If nothing else, Aesir cranks things out in record time. Do those guys not have day jobs or something? Not a complaint about any of the other sub groups out there, I'm just constantly in awe of Aesir's turnaround time.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

jonjonaug posted:

I know. It's amazing. Also: I'm pretty sure that was Sugita as the Overlord Invess.
It is! :D

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Garo with a shotgun. God bless you, Kamen Rider Gaim.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

I know. It's amazing. Also: I'm pretty sure that was Sugita as the Overlord Invess.

Is there no role you can't make amazing Sugita? :allears:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Aesir is quick this week with episode 23.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was definitely staring to think the Sagara had a touch of the Kubey about him that episode, until his conversation with Not-Mai seemed to put him more on the level.

What happened Micchy, you used to be cool. :smith: Apart from your jumpers.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I love that like people might say 'Gaim isn't a REAL Kamen Rider' and now I can grab them by the scruff of the neck and go LOOK AT WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Gaim continues to be the best show. What a way to leave off before a one week break.

I'm amazed at how many factions and individual motivations we have going on right now. We have Kouta being a REAL HERO, Kaito wanting to grasp power by any means, Ryoma who just wants to see how far he can take the power of the forest, Taktatora being a "realist" type who wants to save as many as he can (he's basically Kiritsugu with a desk job), Micchy who agrees with Takatora but is more concerned about his personal happiness and relations, Sid and Yoko who want power but are more slimy about it than Kaito (they're gonna get killed so hard), Oren just wanting to have a good time fighting, whatever the gently caress Sagara is, whatever the gently caress not-Mai is, and you can almost certainly bet the Overlord Invess won't all be on the same page either. Plus an assortment of side characters who are just trying to make the best of their situation and provide a good contrast to how "normal" people are handling all the weird poo poo happening around them, just trying to go on with their lives and who could go in a whole bunch of directions in the second half of the show. Also we have Jonouchi who's pretty much just Urobuchi's punching bag at this point, but I doubt he'll stay with Oren forever.

There isn't a single character listed above that I don't like.

Sakurazuka posted:

I was definitely staring to think the Sagara had a touch of the Kubey about him that episode, until his conversation with Not-Mai seemed to put him more on the level.

What happened Micchy, you used to be cool. :smith: Apart from your jumpers.

Sagara's role is pretty different from Kyubey's. Kyubey (Madoka spoilers) wants Madoka to become fuel for the system and is taken aback when she smashes it, while Sagara (latest episode spoilers) is actively encouraging Kouta to smash the "common sense" that you can't avoid making sacrifices to achieve a happy ending.

Gaim is becoming the best parts of Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero mixed together with karate bugmen and we're still only halfway through.

Rei_ posted:

I love that like people might say 'Gaim isn't a REAL Kamen Rider' and now I can grab them by the scruff of the neck and go LOOK AT WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

I've seen this exact moment coming for weeks now and I've been laughing at folks I see on twitter saying stuff like that the entire time. The vindication is so sweet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Man, I wish I could find words to describe how awesome this show is. :allears:

Every week the show feels like it tops itself, it's just so great.

Is there a ever expanding :allears: ? Because that's about how I feel watching Gaim every week.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jonjonaug posted:

Sagara's role is pretty different from Kyubey's. Kyubey (Madoka spoilers) wants Madoka to become fuel for the system and is taken aback when she smashes it, while Sagara (latest episode spoilers) is actively encouraging Kouta to smash the "common sense" that you can't avoid making sacrifices to achieve a happy ending.

While their ultimate goals may be different, though we really still don't know exactly what Sagara is after, the methods they use of offering power while telling the other person exactly what they want to hear are pretty similar.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I bring Gifs!

They're all kind of huge so they're all uploaded through Dropbox.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 23, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Gifs from 23

http://i.cubeupload.com/MMJa95.gif

http://i.cubeupload.com/c6lYj8.gif

I...desperately need an avatar from one of these. Also calling dibs on "it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The DJ Gun is the funkiest weapon ever. Ignoring the plot for a second, holy poo poo I love the entirety of Triumphant Arms, but especially that gun. If I had to buy one Kamen Rider toy, it'd be the DJ Gun. And the form itself looks awesome. I just hope we get some power-ups for everyone else though, Kouta's been hogging them hard.

Also DJ Sagara is another character I like more every appearance he has. He's mysterious as all hell (at first I doubted his motivations, now I doubt his humanity. I can only wonder what the hell he is, though my guess is an Overlord Inves that decided to go against Helheim itself). How he defined strong and weak, how he encouraged Kouta to just destroy the very rules of the world, everything he said, it was all amazing. And his confrontation with Helheim Mai too. Everyone has said that this show has some pretty strong characterization, with lots of different ideologies in constant clash, and Sagara just brings his own, and it's a completely different one too. This show's writing rules, is what I'm trying to say here.

And Kouta just destroying the Scalar System and telling Takatora to get serious about protecting people if he cared so much about his secret, wow. Kouta, you have some balls.

Basically this episode was amazing in every single way and I'm sad we're getting a non-canon crossover next week instead of a proper continuation because this show is so drat good. My fruity bug men with heavy ideological clashes that remind people of Shin Megami Tensei, keep it on. Keep it on forever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

Not that I ever thought of Gaim as not a real Rider, but what exactly happened this week that put him over that line compared to any previous week?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
This series is going to quickly overtake W as the majority approved best Kamen Rider show. Even with all the goofy looking Riders, the initial focus on dancing groups and pokemon battles, the characters in this show are second to absolutely none, the drama is incredible and reminds me of how driven people are in Breaking Bad and constantly changing alliance.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

tsob posted:

Not that I ever thought of Gaim as not a real Rider, but what exactly happened this week that put him over that line compared to any previous week?

The main feature of what I always thought was 'classic' Kamen Rider was the idea that here's this guy who's been taken in and experimented on, to be used for the purposes of evil. He's instead taken this power and used it to protect people. Like, Kouta is right, his power can only be used to destroy, and just saying "I'm going to protect people" doesn't mean much if you're not using it to take a stand against something. That power has to have a purpose behind it that is more than 'I'm going to kick the guys in rubber suits'. Anyone can do that. The beginning of the show has like a zillion people doing JUST THAT and all that's really separating them is motivations.

This show is fast in its pacing but slow in how it's actually set up this character in a really meaningful way. Kouta is a good person, and he HAS been experimented on, used as a guinea pig by people who would see that power used against humanity. He's never really understood his own power as something evil though, he always thought he was just kicking rubber suits around. Sagara is right, someone like Kaito who uses this power without understanding just how deadly it is in reality, and only in the scope of his limited ambition can only ever wind up using it to hurt people in the end.

There was one movie that did say it really well, a Kamen Rider is an 'incomplete monster'. Someone who was given MOST of the tools for destruction, but has replaced the thing at the center with a greater purpose that is in service of the world and not themselves. Kouta has spent the last 22 episodes trying to articulate to himself what this purpose is, and now it looks like he finally has a direction.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Flameingblack posted:

This series is going to quickly overtake W as the majority approved best Kamen Rider show. Even with all the goofy looking Riders, the initial focus on dancing groups and pokemon battles, the characters in this show are second to absolutely none, the drama is incredible and reminds me of how driven people are in Breaking Bad and constantly changing alliance.

I really love W so much, but after this episode I'm bumping it back to second place and giving Gaim its crown. The series COULD just outright drop into 'this is stupid' territory, but I really hope and doubt that it will. The pacing is absolutely fantastic, and I hope that Toei takes it and runs with it instead of going back to dull as hell two episode pairs. I'm sure the next show will probably go back to motw stuff, but I really hope they take the hint to keep up the pace.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
This episode was amazing. But I couldn't help thinking that the speeder bike laser raves were missing something.

Namely, Queen's Battle Theme and/or Crash Dive on Mingo City.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I could've sworn I read an interview where Gen Urobuchi said how Orange Arms was deliberately designed with the intent of it being something that isn't quite ready to call itself a Kamen Rider and that the upgrade would invoke that instead. I guess he succeeded.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It hit me after this episode that the writing (and, to some degree, the translation) deserve credit: we're basically into the middle of JRPG territory here, but it's actually feeling kinda natural and well-done instead of people expositing at one another and getting all Philosophy 101. Not what I expected!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

It took a bit, but drat if it didn't pay off.

Takatora, you hosed up in the best way-every Rider, EVERY Rider, has a tragedy to define them and give them something to struggle against.

You just gave Kouta his, by reminding him of what he has lost.

And now you're going to get your poo poo pushed in.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Gaim's been good from about episode 5, but this episode took that to the next level. Watching Gaim has quickly become the favorite part of my week :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've stated, from the start, that the show, with certain early episodes, was fine just not right in tone. However it's slowly gotten past some early hurdles, as of episode 10, possibly 9 I forget, and settled on what it wanted to be.

The earliest episodes work best in contrast to what came after and what was revealed, but the weakness of, say, the Bravo two parter still stands, and most of that is in direction rather than the characters. Though the writing also fell a bit flat there.

After episode 9 or 10, I forget which, most of all, if not all, of the tone issues faded away and it's been a fantastic show. I can really respect what the writer wanted to do-start with the New Rider Formula, then build to a more classic style.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I really need to find somewhere that's carrying the Kachidoki Lockseed

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rei_ posted:

I really need to find somewhere that's carrying the Kachidoki Lockseed

When all else fails, eBay.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Man, this show is so good. Kouta is officially up there with the coolest Heisei Riders like Gentaro and Shotaro as of episode 23. I've liked him since the start, but dang. I did not expect the Kachidoki Arms reveal to be that excellent in every way. The craziest part is we still have more than half of the series to go! The possibilities are endless.

I'm looking forward to how Micchy will claw himself back up the totem pole next and manipulate everyone in grand fashion. I think he's going to try gaining new power this time, in addition to manipulating all parties involved after what happened last time. It's funny because if Sid (what an idiot), Ryouma, and Takatora didn't intervene, Micchy would've been the supreme victor with almost no opposition. He just didn't predict everyone else to be much less competent and magnitudes less ballsy than him, which is why I expect him to find other avenues for achieving his ambitions. He's my second favorite after Kouta and I enjoy rooting for the underdogs.

I hope the show spreads around some of these upgrades because, while I get why thematically, it's been extremely one-sided in Kouta's favor. I like seeing everyone getting cool as heck new forms, so I hope that changes soon. I hope Kaito receives an upgrade... and doesn't get killed by the Overlord Inves, which I'm expecting at this point. RIP Kaito. Your strength brought you places, but not far enough. Really, I'll be shocked if Kaito is living past the next 2-3 episodes, since there was endless death flags this week. Well, either that or he becomes Kouta's ally for real this time.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 25, 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I'm getting Robocop flashbacks with "that loving gun!". I wonder how much it'll be...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Killer Queen posted:

and doesn't get killed by the Overlord Inves, which I'm expecting at this point. RIP Kaito. Your strength brought you places, but not far enough. Really, I'll be shocked if Kaito is living past the next 2-3 episodes, since there was endless death flags this week. Well, either that or he becomes Kouta's ally for real this time.

Pretty sure Kaito isn't going to die, since the show seems to have set him up to get whatever new belt Ryouma is working on, especially with Sagara mentioning one of the options is him getting his hands "on some dangerous power." He might not survive to the end of the series but I'm gonna go ahead and say no way is he dying in the near future.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I marathoned this over the past week and man it is so good. I stayed away because Wizard completely lost me, but I'm glad this is hitting all the right notes for me.

Killer Queen posted:

I hope the show spreads around some of these upgrades because, while I get why thematically, it's been extremely one-sided in Kouta's favor. I like seeing everyone getting cool as heck new forms, so I hope that changes soon. I hope Kaito receives an upgrade... and doesn't get killed by the Overlord Inves, which I'm expecting at this point. RIP Kaito. Your strength brought you places, but not far enough. Really, I'll be shocked if Kaito is living past the next 2-3 episodes, since there was endless death flags this week. Well, either that or he becomes Kouta's ally for real this time.

I want to see Sid use his S lockseed. Plus I do not think Kaito will die so soon since he's gotta meet the mysterious girl again. Now is the perfect set up too: he will get beat up real bad by the Overlord and the girl will nurse him back to health. I'm gonna guess that if he does die, it'll be protecting her.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Does anybody know how to do avatar gifs well? I would actually like one from that tachidoki sequence in 32.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Didn't Sagara mention something about seeing the future? I'm guessing that was in reference to Not-Mai and what we saw in ep 1 is foreshadowing what might happen much later as foreseen by Not-Mai.

Kaito is fighting the red overlord and it was mentioned there are overlords. So maybe there is a green and blue as well and it'll link to each faction gaining control of specific inves types. Then again, probably talking out my rear end since the red overlord was controlling one of each color to attack Kaito in ep 21.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Eirgen posted:

Kaito is fighting the red overlord and it was mentioned there are overlords. So maybe there is a green and blue as well and it'll link to each faction gaining control of specific inves types. Then again, probably talking out my rear end since the red overlord was controlling one of each color to attack Kaito in ep 21.

(future spoilers)We already know there's a green chinese dragon themed overlord coming. Red and spear wielding...green and chinese aesthetics... sounding familiar yet?

And speculation: I'm going to guess that Sagara is an Overlord that found his way to this dimension very early on specifically so he could set all this in motion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If we're continuing the Persona analogy... does that make Takatora Lucifer, Ryouma Nyarthlotep, Sagara Philemon, and Helheim Mai Metatron?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
I'm curious about something. It seems like upgrades in the series generally revolve around some sort of growth. Lemon Raiment and then Triumphant Arms developed from Kouta's desire to protect the city and then from the desire to fight against the world's rules. Like you get the shiny upgrades when you develop as a character. Which makes me wonder how Kaito and Micchy is going to develop to justify their upgrades. Not all character development is good in nature.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dante Logos posted:

I'm curious about something. It seems like upgrades in the series generally revolve around some sort of growth. Lemon Raiment and then Triumphant Arms developed from Kouta's desire to protect the city and then from the desire to fight against the world's rules. Like you get the shiny upgrades when you develop as a character. Which makes me wonder how Kaito and Micchy is going to develop to justify their upgrades. Not all character development is good in nature.

Kaito I'd say is already due for one. His upgrade will probably be something that kicks off whatever crap he does later.

Micchy I think still has a bit to go before he deserves one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ryouma's goal all along has been trying to figure out how to turn humans into the Overlords, but he's been doing it under the cover of Takatora's objective of building a defense system against the Invess. Like, even the Overlord this week quite clearly says 'henshin' when he's talking to Kaito, which tells me that the Overlords are probably the end-result of their own civilization trying to do what Ryouma is doing now. The Overlords are just the Armored Riders of Helheim, and it's not that Not-Mai sees the future but she's seen the outcome of what's going to happen to Earth, because it's happened to her world.

• Locked thread