Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Out of universe chronology. I should have clarified that. Warbreaker was written as a prequel to the already-established character of vasher in WoK Prime

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

treeboy posted:

Vasher and the other scholars used a *gently caress ton* of Breaths (tens of thousands iirc, like 50,000+) to create Nightblood on a planet that by comparison is incredibly poor (only one breath per person), and "awakened" it with a single simple command (Destroy Evil) which he single mindedly follows. The spren of Roshar were slowly, naturally, awakened by billions of observations and concepts over tens of thousands of years (perhaps with some cataclysm serving to speed up the process at some point) resulting in a nuanced and more 'complete' personality for the more intelligent spren. Nightblood, in contrast with Syl, Ivory, and other bonded spren, is an "artificial spren" with a basic "concept" or purpose of destroying evil. Nightblood *lacks* nuance, acting instead like a child, yet seemingly unable to grow beyond his original investiture unlike Rosharran spren who are constantly "fed" and "grown" by new people observing new situations and new experiences.

edit: some spelling grammar and a little clarification

Not really spoiler because its Warbreaker stuff but oh well -only 1000 breath was used to awaken Nightblood, but I believe the sage who did it (Sashara) had thousands more breath because of the innate awakening abilities a massive amount of breath gives you. Possibly not 50,000+ (That is how much Susebron has, and a large amount of that was accumulated after Vasher gave the first god king the breath). I don't think any of the original sages had as much breath as Susebron does.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Not really spoiler because its Warbreaker stuff but oh well -only 1000 breath was used to awaken Nightblood, but I believe the sage who did it (Sashara) had thousands more breath because of the innate awakening abilities a massive amount of breath gives you. Possibly not 50,000+ (That is how much Susebron has, and a large amount of that was accumulated after Vasher gave the first god king the breath). I don't think any of the original sages had as much breath as Susebron does.

ah, i stand corrected, could've sworn it was more. Still i think the rest of it works

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Tunicate posted:

Out of universe chronology. I should have clarified that. Warbreaker was written as a prequel to the already-established character of vasher in WoK Prime

I'm still a little confused Is Warbreaker set before or after WoR? If it's before, where's Vivienna? :ohdear:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Superstring posted:

I'm still a little confused Is Warbreaker set before or after WoR? If it's before, where's Vivienna? :ohdear:

pretty sure before, but no indication how *long* before

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Superstring posted:

Warbreaker is set before Way of Kings, in universe. Way of Kings is roughly around Alloy of Law chronologically, maybe a little before.

Vasher was Kaladin's shardblade trainer in Way of Kings Prime, the original attempt Brandon made at writing the story. Warbreaker was written as a 'prequel' to flesh out Nightblood and his pet human.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I feel really stupid for not realizing that it was vashar. I really need to go read through the rest of his books again and then re-read WoK and WoR before reading the next one when it comes out.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just found something really interesting from a question that was answered by Sanderson. Going to spoiler all of this because the link is chock full of spoilers to questions.

Q: Is a Desolation caused when a Herald breaks under torture?

A: This person is asking the right kinds of questions. (It’s since been confirmed from another Q&A that when the Heralds leave the place of torture a Desolation occurs. Taln is STRONG.)

So basically, I reckon Honour must have made the Oathpact with Odium, whereby he Shattered himself and selected champions who would be tortured for eternity by Odium. Whenever they have had enough and come back to Roshar the Oathpact is broken and a Desolation occurs. Basically for the last 10004500 years Taln has had to endure all of the Heralds torture by himself. I found that very interesting. Lots of other stuff in the link as well, such as how Adolins actions at the end of WoR would not stop him becoming a KR, and in fact certain factions such as the Dustbringers would absolutely find what he did the right thing to do

--------------------------

Q: What caused a Desolation to end? Was it just the defeat of Odium’s forces? Because the Desolations start when the Heralds break under torture.

A: Because the Heralds can no longer be in existence. There is a certain period of time that they can be there, and after that, if they’re there, they will start a new one. So the Heralds do need to leave for a Desolation to end.

Q: Oh. So they’ve got a time limit.

A: They do. Otherwise the Desolation will start again. What they discovered is not all of them have to. As long as one remains, the Desolation will not start again.

Q: So, by the nine leaving, did that actually break the Oathpact for them? Did it change the cycle of Desolations?

A: They have not completely broken the Oathpact, despite what they may think

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6605-words-of-brandon-compiled/

Dravs fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 25, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I found this one very interesting:

Q: Can someone bond more than one honorblade
A: Honorblade? You can't bond an honorblade, though it can be given to you. Shardblades, however, come from a spren bond and it is possible to bond more than one.

I can't wait to see who is gonna be the badass who's gonna bond all the spren and combine all the surges in ludicrous ways like a surgebinding mistborn.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Dravs posted:

Just found something really interesting from a question that was answered by Sanderson. Going to spoiler all of this because the link is chock full of spoilers to questions.

Q: Is a Desolation caused when a Herald breaks under torture?

A: This person is asking the right kinds of questions. (It’s since been confirmed from another Q&A that when the Heralds leave the place of torture a Desolation occurs. Taln is STRONG.)

So basically, I reckon Honour must have made the Oathpact with Odium, whereby he Shattered himself and selected champions who would be tortured for eternity by Odium. Whenever they have had enough and come back to Roshar the Oathpact is broken and a Desolation occurs. Basically for the last 1000 years Taln has had to endure all of the Heralds torture by himself. I found that very interesting. Lots of other stuff in the link as well, such as how Adolins actions at the end of WoR would not stop him becoming a KR, and in fact certain factions such as the Dustbringers would absolutely find what he did the right thing to do

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6605-words-of-brandon-compiled/

Wasn't the last desolation 4500 years ago? If so I geuss that means at least one of the Heralds kept pussying out after 1000 years and Taln is kind of a badass.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Something interesting I noticed earlier.

Here's the epigraph for chapter 64 of Way of Kings:

"They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory."

—Kakashah 1173, 13 seconds pre-death. A rickshaw puller.

In Words of Radiance, True Glory is the title of the chapter where Kaladin and Shallan come out of the chasm carrying a gemheart.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Luminaflare posted:

Wasn't the last desolation 4500 years ago? If so I geuss that means at least one of the Heralds kept pussying out after 1000 years and Taln is kind of a badass.

drat, you are right, I will update my post!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Mild Mistborn spoiler

Q: Would aluminum give an atium shadow? Like if someone threw an aluminum spear?
A: The aluminum would not give an atium shadow. Good question.

I bet modern day aircraft would look really weird when high on Atium.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Regarding that thread, RAFO means read and find out, and seems to be a bit of a meme on that forum, also the Sanderson fans are starting to refer to themselves as Sharders.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Anyone calling themselves something -er's means they're usually nutters. See truthers, birthers, sharders, shippers.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

this is of course assuming it was the same guy being tortured for the entire time and that that guy was in fact Taln

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Dravs posted:

Lots of other stuff in the link as well, such as how Adolins actions at the end of WoR would not stop him becoming a KR, and in fact certain factions such as the Dustbringers would absolutely find what he did the right thing to do

End of book spoilers regarding Adolin: Is he a confirmed Radiant? I thought I recall reading a wiki entry somewhere that said he was, but I can no longer find it, and there was nothing in the book (that I remember) that said he was.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dravs posted:

Regarding that thread, RAFO means read and find out, and seems to be a bit of a meme on that forum, also the Sanderson fans are starting to refer to themselves as Sharders.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Its a thing that Brandon Sanderson says a lot at questions, effectively 'no comment'. I think he may have got it through Wheel of Time.

Fake Edit: It looks like it is something a few fantasy authors do.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Of course. It builds speculation, which builds hype. Why wouldn't you make people wait and buy your next book? I completely understand why he and other authors do that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You know I'm disappointed in myself for taking until the end of WoR to realize the world hoppers are basically planeswalkers by a different name and Stormlight could have a ploy of Jasnah awakening to her spark.

I wonder if, when a shard is shattered, all the pieces take on a different aspect of that shard. Like how Adolnasium shattered.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Dravs posted:

Well if the Highstorm is to Honour, what the mists were the Preservation, then possibly the Purelake belongs to another Shardholder? We know from Mistborn that if 2 shardholders come into contact it causes them immense pain.

The reason 2 shardholders coming into contact caused immense pain was because of which two shardholders came into contact. Preservation and Ruin are opposites. When held separately, they either have a balance, or they try to annihilate each other. It took one person taking them both up at once to control that power, and even then I believe Sazed mentioned that it was a battle to get it under control and figure everything out before he killed himself with it. That's why he's called Harmony now. He found a balance between the two. That's also why he's so powerful. He has total control of Preservation and Ruin. Odium is just hate. Ruin will gently caress poo poo up.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Kruller posted:

The reason 2 shardholders coming into contact caused immense pain was because of which two shardholders came into contact. Preservation and Ruin are opposites. When held separately, they either have a balance, or they try to annihilate each other. It took one person taking them both up at once to control that power, and even then I believe Sazed mentioned that it was a battle to get it under control and figure everything out before he killed himself with it. That's why he's called Harmony now. He found a balance between the two. That's also why he's so powerful. He has total control of Preservation and Ruin. Odium is just hate. Ruin will gently caress poo poo up.

Mistborn Spoilers for anyone reading for the first time

I was talking about this with a friend and we're not so sure. In terms of raw power Sazed may well be in his own weight class (with complete control of two shards). However we don't know for certain that each shard is the same "size" (for lack of better terminology) as the others, and furthermore as far as intent goes (which Sazed will become ever more in tune with as time passes) Ruin is entropy, cosmic tendency towards destruction, not focused hate like Odium. Preservation is also incapable of concentrated action (instead playing the long game) and "Harmony" may well be incapable of acting in such a direct fashion as Odium can without fighting against the shards intent (which i would wager would reduce efficacy of the action).

edit: I'm curious if one of the reasons Odium went after the Sel shards was because one of them was Dominion, and if there was a shard that might try to take on Hatred directly (or at least compete for control) it'd be Dominion

treeboy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Q: Can you tell me what Wit put in his drink in Shallan's flashback scene?
A: It was something that you or I would probably not want to eat in our world, but that Wit got some benefit from eating...

Q: Something we've seen in the Mistborn books, perhaps?
A: <sounding pleased> Yes, perhaps like something you've seen in Mistborn

I guess that confirms that he swallowed that bead of Lerasium at some point if he's putting metal in his drinks. I wonder if that means he was Soothing Shallan to help her try and use her power.

Also, reading about the third Mistborn trilogy is making me salivate. Hoid as a main POV character. A space opera, visiting many of the planets we've already seen hundreds/thousands? years laer.

Edit : jesus, that link - it goes on and on, so much interesting poo poo. "We haven't seen time travel to the past, but we did see it into the future in Alloy of Law" :psyduck: (unless he just means the time bubble powers

Edit 2 : one of the main characters of the later 5 books will be Taln, or the person who calls himself Taln.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 25, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harmony basically has two issues. He's got more Ruin than preservation by a tiny bit, so has to do something with the extra (probably making some atium, I'd guess). The balance means that his personality is only being altered very slowly, but the timespan we see in the books means that there's still a noticeable effect - chiefly in that he has a lot of trouble being proactive.

On the other hand, he still is preventing other shards from meddling in scandrial, so that's nice.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Harmony basically has two issues. He's got more Ruin than preservation by a tiny bit, so has to do something with the extra (probably making some atium, I'd guess). The balance means that his personality is only being altered very slowly, but the timespan we see in the books means that there's still a noticeable effect - chiefly in that he has a lot of trouble being proactive.

On the other hand, he still is preventing other shards from meddling in scandrial, so that's nice.

He has problems being proactive but probably no problem being reactive - he wants things to be harmonious and probably can act to try and prevent chaos.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
He should just channel all the Ruin energy to Ironeyes and let Ironeyes go around kicking rear end. I mean, he's already the mythological figure of death, why not Death and Ruin?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

He should just channel all the Ruin energy to Ironeyes and let Ironeyes go around kicking rear end. I mean, he's already the mythological figure of death, why not Death and Ruin?

Well, I assume that's how he keeps having atium to keep the immortality loop going.

Hmm... would be interesting if he goes worldhopping. That'd be a cool question for any goon at a signing.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

I'm sure marsh wouldn't have any of the ethical issues going axe crazy again like he did last time

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

treeboy posted:

I'm sure marsh wouldn't have any of the ethical issues going axe crazy again like he did last time

Well, the axe crazy was from the ruin personality whispering in his ear, and Harmony is still mostly Sazed and is simultaneously a more benevolent aspect, but yeah sending Marsh out to Roshar - just imagine. :hawaaaafap: However, I bet he's trying to deal with whatever crazy-rear end conspiracy (to breed a new mistborn?) Wax's dad is part of.

I still want to know how the mechanical Allomancy from the southern continent works. As far as we know Allomancy is entirely dependent on.. people. There's no magical symbols or magical words or magical anything that isn't inherent to a person. I mean, maybe if you made an object out of Atium or Lerasium you might get something magical, but that's nowhere near plentiful enough for it to be the method they're using.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 26, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Well, I assume that's how he keeps having atium to keep the immortality loop going.

Hmm... would be interesting if he goes worldhopping. That'd be a cool question for any goon at a signing.

I think a lot of his atium is stuff he got before Harmony. After the end of book 3 he singlehandedly had the most Atium in the world. Still, he clearly talks to Harmony so I don't see why he wouldn't get an allowance of atium.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
If atium was the body of ati (ruin) and larasium was the body of laras (preservation) would those both even grow anymore? Wouldn't sazed have his own body?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

senae posted:

If atium was the body of ati (ruin) and larasium was the body of laras (preservation) would those both even grow anymore? Wouldn't sazed have his own body?

Atium and Lerasium seem to be some kind of condensed form of the power of Ruin and Preservation which resulted from them being split up into Physical, Cognitive and Spiritual forms.

I don't think they were their body, but the physical form of their power.

It's been implied that to balance his power Sazed would continue to make Atium.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Wolpertinger posted:

I still want to know how the mechanical Allomancy from the southern continent works. As far as we know Allomancy is entirely dependent on.. people. There's no magical symbols or magical words or magical anything that isn't inherent to a person. I mean, maybe if you made an object out of Atium or Lerasium you might get something magical, but that's nowhere near plentiful enough for it to be the method they're using.

I don't remember this, where's it from?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

I don't remember this, where's it from?

We haven't seen it yet, it's mentioned a couple times in Alloy of Law (iirc, it was some of the newspaper snippets) and confirmed by Sanderson as existing in the southern continent of Scadrial. Essentially, the entire Mistborn trilogy took place on the north pole - The entire world minus the poles was a uninhabitable hellishly hot wasteland. However, there was also people living on the south pole who the Lord Ruler did not rule due to distance, who developed an entirely different culture and instead of having any Mistborn (who the Lord Ruler created) they have somehow managed to make a science out of it and have allomantic machines of some sort. They might have Mistings, though, apparently that can develop naturally (but much more rarely) without any any of the Lerasium the Lord Ruler gave his ruling nobles.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 26, 2014

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Wolpertinger posted:

We haven't seen it yet, it's mentioned a couple times in Alloy of Law (iirc, it was some of the newspaper snippets) and confirmed by Sanderson as existing in the southern continent of Scadrial. Essentially, the entire Mistborn trilogy took place on the north pole - The entire world minus the poles was a uninhabitable hellishly hot wasteland. However, there was also people living on the south pole who the Lord Ruler did not rule due to distance, who developed an entirely different culture and instead of having any Mistborn (who the Lord Ruler created) they have somehow managed to make a science out of it and have allomantic machines of some sort. They might have Mistings, though, apparently that can develop naturally (but much more rarely) without any any of the Lerasium the Lord Ruler gave his ruling nobles.

I believe the implication was that The Lord Ruler purposefully left the southern pole unchanged as a backup plan in case his biological modifications on the creatures of the North Pole failed completely.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

I'd guess it's something similar to how (some?) fabrials mimic Surgebinding, but that's all I've got. Maybe using hemalurgic spikes as parts would do something, but you'd still need to have actual Mistings in the first place.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Quantum Toast posted:

I'd guess it's something similar to how (some?) fabrials mimic Surgebinding, but that's all I've got. Maybe using hemalurgic spikes as parts would do something, but you'd still need to have actual Mistings in the first place.

We also haven't seen how Allomantic metals respond to electricity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, we know that the metals only act as a catalyst to fuel the little bit of preservation inside a person... and a hemalurgic spike can contain the little bit of preservation inside a person. It might be that you can use spikes in some sort of sinister machine, without implanting them.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Might have something to do with when Vin ate some of Sazed's Ferromancy metals. If I recall correct she said something along the lines of being able to sense the power there but being unable to access it. We know this is used in Alloy of Law for the compounding effect of Allomancy and Ferromancy, but what if you were to access the power from the metal without having it contact with you/eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
There may also be another method of investiture at work. We have Allomancy, Ferechumy and Hemelurgy. Maybe there is another that allows someone to imbue certain metal with a certain effect? What is the metal that pushes? Maybe they can imbue it with a bit of push and hey presto, hover board.

We just don't know how it will work until Brandon writes it, and he hasn't even started the book yet so it's all just theory crafting unless someone has access to his super secret library.