Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

It's definitely sexual innuendo but it could also be taken literally. It's a general cartoon gag.

An excellent film. I've always liked the relationship between Jessica and Roger.

Well it is taken literally since they are literally playing pattycake :v:

I agree. A cute little line is when Eddie asks her why she likes Roger and she says "Because he makes me laugh" :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jessica is loyal and looking out for Roger's best interests, and in return Roger believes in her. They both end up justified and their relationship never falters.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

Jessica is loyal and looking out for Roger's best interests, and in return Roger believes in her. They both end up justified and their relationship never falters.

I like how Betty Boop more or less stated that Roger is considered a catch in his own right by toons so it's not just 'Guy has a Hot Babe that's way out of his league'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I like how Betty Boop more or less stated that Roger is considered a catch in his own right by toons so it's not just 'Guy has a Hot Babe that's way out of his league'.

"What a lucky girl :shobon:"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm not going to say that this particular article is wrong but listing Space Jam under "forgotbusters" as a film that ruined the Looney Toons characters for a decade seems wrong to me.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Personally I'm Glad the rights of Who framed roger rabbit weren't claimed by a lesser company, otherwise we'd be getting modern sequels that tried to include cartoons from like family guy, animes or *shudder* johnny test.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

Personally I'm Glad the rights of Who framed roger rabbit weren't claimed by a lesser company, otherwise we'd be getting modern sequels that tried to include cartoons from like family guy, animes or *shudder* johnny test.

What if I promised you they replace the shoe being stuffed into the dip with Johnny Test?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

What if I promised you they replace the shoe being stuffed into the dip with Johnny Test?

only if he's accompanied by the bee from bee movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pixeltendo posted:

I would be A-OK with Goku being in Who Framed Roger Rabbit: The Squeakuel

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Only if the Earth blows up.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Saw Mr. Sherman and Peabody today. The very definition of a shrug-your-shoulders-and-go-"meh" movie for the most part. After Turbo and now this, I'm really hoping HTTYD2 can still deliver.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Turbo is incredibly unmemorable. You would think something that absurd would have some sticking power, but nope.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was also incredibly heavily advertised on Cartoon Network. Almost every commercial break on the network last summer had the full 2-minute trailer, it seemed like.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

Saw Mr. Sherman and Peabody today. The very definition of a shrug-your-shoulders-and-go-"meh" movie for the most part. After Turbo and now this, I'm really hoping HTTYD2 can still deliver.

I've got high hopes for HTTYD2; the trailer looked great (those flight sequences in 3D can't fail to be anything but stunning), the character posters of all the grown-up kids and their dragons are delightful, and there's some leaked pages of the concept artwork floating around that have got me kind of stoked. The Nico Marlet artwork of the character and dragon designs are really, really beautiful.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Isn't HTTYD2 being done by a different director or the same on as the HTTYD? I'm assuming when most of these movies come out they have different directors on them. I really doubt the Mr. Sherman and Peaboy/Turbo where made by the same director of HTTYD2.

But I do agree, I really hope HTTYD2 delievers because those two movies just make me go man Dreamworks is the same ol poo poo again, when they do have some pretty good movies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was very disappointed in the Making of Frozen.

If there was an actual making of, then I would have liked it more. Unless I am an idiot that can't find the real one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shindragon posted:

Isn't HTTYD2 being done by a different director or the same on as the HTTYD?

The co-director of HTTYD, Dean DeBlois, is director. He was also co-director of Lilo & Stitch.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
All good for me then. poo poo like Turbo is what makes people post that Dreamworks.jpg.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While watching the Making of Frozen parody on youtube I found this suprisingly appropriate version of Let it Go - Sung by Google Translate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAoVlFYf0

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I keep forgetting Turbo even existed. :psyduck: I remember watching it and expecting Bee Movie levels of absurdity, but instead it was just... there. Boring characters, boring character designs, just overall a completely unmemorable movie. Which is kind of an odd thing to say considering its premise.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Butt Detective posted:

I keep forgetting Turbo even existed. :psyduck: I remember watching it and expecting Bee Movie levels of absurdity, but instead it was just... there. Boring characters, boring character designs, just overall a completely unmemorable movie. Which is kind of an odd thing to say considering its premise.

No it was pretty evidently going to be dogshit from the first frame.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Doflamingo posted:

No it was pretty evidently going to be dogshit from the first frame.

That's just it, it's not dogshit. It manages to hit exactly neutral on absolutely everything.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hra Mormo posted:

That's just it, it's not dogshit. It manages to hit exactly neutral on absolutely everything.

Yeah, it's the movie mom would drop her kids off so she can shop for an hour and a half in peace, so utterly bland and harmless but it should keep them busy.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, it's the movie mom would drop her kids off so she can shop for an hour and a half in peace, so utterly bland and harmless but it should keep them busy.

It really says a lot about a film when "inoffensive" is the best it can hope to be.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I probably differ from, say, Pick here, but I would rather watch a film that offends me than a film that bores me. I'd rather watch Bee Movie than Shark Tale any day, and I don't mean that as a compliment to the former.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I probably differ from, say, Pick here, but I would rather watch a film that offends me than a film that bores me. I'd rather watch Bee Movie than Shark Tale any day, and I don't mean that as a compliment to the former.

Oh gently caress no, I far prefer an interestingly bad film to a boring one. Except Bee Movie, that was truly too far. Shark Tale would qualify though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Shark Tale at least almost had a redeeming quality to it. Keyword ALMOST. Bee movie just makes me want to punch something. Besides if people like me can watch horrible cheesy rear end horror movies and have fun with, you can do the same with animations movies.

Except Felix the cat. The gently caress where they thinking with that movie. :psyduck:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shindragon posted:

Except Felix the cat. The gently caress where they thinking with that movie. :psyduck:

Oh god Felix the cat. I think they blew all their budget on that stupid CGI head for the credits, because everything except the music was awful.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Catching Ernest and Celestine this Friday. Can't wait. Bit sad it won't be the original French VA but the English dub sounds good.

Already hope it hits DVD as quick as possible.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 26, 2014

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Shindragon posted:

Oh man I watched that one so much growing up, what on earth was with that movie. So surreal.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pick posted:

Oh gently caress no, I far prefer an interestingly bad film to a boring one. Except Bee Movie, that was truly too far. Shark Tale would qualify though.

As I've aged I tend to agree more with this sentiment. At least a bad movie can be riffed or picked apart; boring movies are just a chore.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Traxus IV posted:

Oh man I watched that one so much growing up, what on earth was with that movie. So surreal.

Same here. That and the MLP movie (the 80's one with the ooze) were my bread and butter when I was four years old.

On the topic of offensive verses bland animation: I love watching Foodfight! and will recommend it to people. But gently caress Valiant.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

MisterFuzzles posted:

Catching Ernest and Celestine this Friday. Can't wait. Bit sad it won't be the original French VA but the English dub sounds good.

Already hope it hits DVD as quick as possible.

Caught it in theaters. Honestly I would say that it's a must see for absolutely everyone in this thread. Unique in how it's the closest thing to Ghibli film made outside of Japan.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I guess this is the thread to post about Akira, which it is the 25th anniversary of the film. Despite it being such an iconic film, I don't think I even watched it until about 2005 or so. I am still lost about much of the film, but I would imagine that most people don't really watch it for its plot, which honestly is pretty lovely.

Its a weird movie. I don't really think it has a central protagonist. I want to say its Kaneda, but I think the movie focuses far too much on Tetsuo for that. The Colonel is an odd character too which I believe the audience is supposed to be sympathetic too, but he is far too hardline militaristic for me to enjoy him as a character.

It also has all kinds of weird poo poo like 15 year old protagonists and Kaneda immediately saying that he wants to kill one of his good friends within the time span of an hour.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's based on a six-volume manga, and the volumes are literally over an inch thick each, if you ever saw them on the shelves in comic book stores. Crammed into one movie length.

I imagine the plot was in no small part sacrificed during the adaptation.

Also, if folks haven't talked about it in this thread much, I heartily suggest watching The Wolf Children. It's a ghibliesque movie about a woman who falls in love and gives birth to two special children, and the struggle she faces as she raises them. Give the trailer a watch, it's dubbed, though it does contain spoilers(even if they're fairly early on). I loved it, it's up there with some of Ghibli's best in how emotionally affecting it was for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI&hd=1

I really wish I could have seen it in the theaters, but the one time it was shown relatively nearby I was out of town. :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also by the director of Summer Wars, which while being basically a full-length version of the second Digimon movie (also by the same director), is super good in its own right.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's weird that Akira suffered from having too much to put into movie form, 'cause the last third or so of it felt like it dragged on for so long. I can see why a lot of people like it, and how it was inspirational and influential, but I really don't much like it as a thing to actually watch.

And I've given my opinions of Wolf Children way earlier in the thread but just to be a massive hypocrite, I recently saw A Letter To Momo and holy poo poo did that floor me with emotions. I guess what we're affected by varies quite a bit.

also you guys are neglecting to mention Mamoru Hosoda's best movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Everyone watch that. At least like, the first half of it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 27, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's based on a six-volume manga, and the volumes are literally over an inch thick each, if you ever saw them on the shelves in comic book stores. Crammed into one movie length.

I imagine the plot was in no small part sacrificed during the adaptation.

The plot of the film and the manga are totally differnt. In the film tetsuo gets sent back in time to create the universe when he goes out of control and starts to destroy the city while in the comics he rules over the ruins of neo tokyo with his psychic cult. The film didn't so much lose a lot of plot as go in a different, shorter direction.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also by the director of Summer Wars, which while being basically a full-length version of the second Digimon movie (also by the same director), is super good in its own right.

Oh and the digimon movie is totally better because it has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXlTRLSBcM

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 27, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow that really is just like Summer Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, if folks haven't talked about it in this thread much, I heartily suggest watching The Wolf Children. It's a ghibliesque movie about a woman who falls in love and gives birth to two special children, and the struggle she faces as she raises them. Give the trailer a watch, it's dubbed, though it does contain spoilers(even if they're fairly early on). I loved it, it's up there with some of Ghibli's best in how emotionally affecting it was for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI&hd=1

I really wish I could have seen it in the theaters, but the one time it was shown relatively nearby I was out of town. :(

I bought it immediately after I saw it. It's one of those movies where, if it connects with you, it connects HARD. I was a mess from fifteen minutes in to the very end.

• Locked thread