Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

They did not actually. I was rather surprised since when they're that obvious about something at least one of them will drop a hint at what it was.

drat it. That is unusual. Maybe the rumours were just bullshit. Or maybe we'll find out at the hearing. Hopefully the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Grand Prix the killer years on BBC4 at 10:50pm for those that may not have seen it

Follow by those magnificant machines.. UK motorsport history

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I just saw an ad on Star Sports Asia for Formula 1 that depicted two men in an eating competition.

The winner stands up and does the Vettel finger, turns to camera and has a hitler moustache of food on his face. The aristocrats.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

I just saw an ad on Star Sports Asia for Formula 1 that depicted two men in an eating competition.

The winner stands up and does the Vettel finger, turns to camera and has a hitler moustache of food on his face. The aristocrats.

We need to see this ad.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptBVdys-mo

I really like the potential of Formula E even if they keep making stupid decisions constantly over the way it's run. Pretty cool video nonetheless.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I wonder if that's his first time in a single seater since he retired.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
More importantly, was that actual real Quantum sponsorship on the sidepod?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Tsaedje posted:

More importantly, was that actual real Quantum sponsorship on the sidepod?

Qualcomm not Quantum.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sulman posted:

It's interesting that despite their success, Red Bull have none of the cachet of a team like Ferrari or McLaren. I hope they recognise a petulant move like this will backfire in PR terms.

They're just a fizzy drinks company that have spunked a lot of money on motorsport. Nobody is going to die if they take their ball and go home.

I don't know there would be any backlash outside of the F1 arena. RB's brand is saturating literally every other motor/action sport, they're not tied to one thing. RB doesn't need F1, certainly not like Ferrari for instance. Stupid consumer idiots like me thing it's cool that they spend a ton of money on cool stuff.

I'd be disappointed more than anything, F1 would not be nearly as interesting without the fizzy drinks company we have today since F1 is as much about the soap opera as it is the racing.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I don't think F1 would suffer one bit without Red Bull, bigger players have left and the sport has always been able to move on.

The sport lost almost all the manufacturers a few years ago and nothing happened ffs.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

NoArmedMan posted:

I really like the potential of Formula E even if they keep making stupid decisions constantly over the way it's run. Pretty cool video nonetheless.

If they'd only settle on some sensible rules Formula E could be fun. I want it to work, I like the sound and I really love the way the car looks.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

El Hefe posted:

The sport lost almost all the manufacturers a few years ago and nothing happened ffs.

What happened?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What happened?

nothing.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What happened?

Honda, BMW and Toyota all pulled out in the same year?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't know there would be any backlash outside of the F1 arena. RB's brand is saturating literally every other motor/action sport, they're not tied to one thing. RB doesn't need F1, certainly not like Ferrari for instance. Stupid consumer idiots like me thing it's cool that they spend a ton of money on cool stuff.

They don't even seem to use F1 in their adverts on US tv - noticed one today that had wing suits and base jumping and freestyle motocross and b-boying and free running and even air racing but not a single F1 car or driver to be seen. Which is odd since they must be spending more on F1 than all the rest of those things put together.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I had a fun thought: I dislike double points as much as the next guy, but what if each team could and was required to designate an official "home race", and in that round you get double points.

It's not much more contrived than what we have this year, local promoters would love it, and would make for some interesting drama and triumphs.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I had a fun thought: I dislike double points as much as the next guy, but what if each team could and was required to designate an official "home race", and in that round you get double points.

It's not much more contrived than what we have this year, local promoters would love it, and would make for some interesting drama and triumphs.

That sounds like a more interesting idea but we all know the only reason Abu Babby gets double points is because Bernie got a truck filled with gold ingots.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Do it like It's A Knockout; each team (or driver) gets to play a joker once per season after qualli for double points in the race. Cue hijinks as every other driver fights like a bastard to make sure they finish 11th or lower.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Echoes of the past come back to haunt the FIA (Pirelli secret test).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113091

This is what happens when you're lenient. Everyone else takes the piss.

Edit: I still don't think they've got a case. The rule is the rule, and it is not for them to measure it by their own means.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 26, 2014

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
The way I see it, worst case scenario is that Red Bull win, get reinstated, and now every other team can also ignore the dodgy official sensor and use their own instead. Hopefully then all the Merc and Ferrari powered teams will turn the wick up and Red Bull will still be left in the midfield.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, either way Red Bull regress to their mean. Either everyone gets to use all the fuels and they take up their rightful place, or they have to use the right amount of fuel and they take up their rightful place. The only question is does Danny get some points.

And either way, Vettel has 0.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

NoArmedMan posted:

One thing that I do like about FE is the use of larger rims. I think it's silly that with all their tech current F1 cars still use tyres so large that they barely need any suspension travel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Barnsy posted:

One thing that I do like about FE is the use of larger rims. I think it's silly that with all their tech current F1 cars still use tyres so large that they barely need any suspension travel.

The rims are that small to force smaller sized brake discs. Otherwise they could have 15 inch rotors and stop their cars instantly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cojawfee posted:

The rims are that small to force smaller sized brake discs. Otherwise they could have 15 inch rotors and stop their cars instantly.

I fail to see the problem. Although podium shots might be awkward with all the drivers sporting nose bleeds

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Xguard86 posted:

I fail to see the problem.

Maybe the drivers eyes would see the problem.. or lack of so to speak.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

I fail to see the problem. Although podium shots might be awkward with all the drivers sporting nose bleeds

Shorter brake distances = harder to overtake.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Not when we let them run active aero hyper cars powered by nuclear fission, glued to the earth through electromagnetism.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Not when we let them run active aero hyper cars powered by nuclear fission, glued to the earth through electromagnetism.

A crash in which every car that collides is also electromagnetically glued to the earth could be rather interesting. Those forces aren't going to dissipate nicely.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Dont stopping distances have gently caress all to do with the size of rotors? Surely all a larger rotor does is dissipate heat quicker and i'm sure f1 cars have got a shittone of ducting to keep the brakes cool anyway. Stopping distance is purely down to the amount of grip the tyres can deliver surely.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

A crash in which every car that collides is also electromagnetically glued to the earth could be rather interesting. Those forces aren't going to dissipate nicely.

It would be like video game collision detection glitches except real life.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

smelly cabin filter posted:

Dont stopping distances have gently caress all to do with the size of rotors? Surely all a larger rotor does is dissipate heat quicker and i'm sure f1 cars have got a shittone of ducting to keep the brakes cool anyway. Stopping distance is purely down to the amount of grip the tyres can deliver surely.

No you also need some pretty nice brakes, tires are a big factor too of course.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Wasn't that the rationale behind the grooved slicks? Don't seem to recall it working in any case- most people complained that it just made aerodynamic grip even more important than mechanical grip, meaning that dirty air was a bigger problem than ever.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

smelly cabin filter posted:

Stopping Distance is all about Mechanical grip. Good brakes are those that retard velocity while not causing the wheels to lock up and thus lose something like 70% of their mechanical grip.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fag Boy Jim posted:

...grooved slicks...

Just watched the 2000 German grand prix.. forgot how much I hated those loving things. Ugly.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Barnsy posted:

Agreed. Michelin have said they're not interested in coming back to F1 until they use 18" tyres, too.

Cojawfee posted:

The FIA can just mandate the size of the brake discs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drgitlin posted:

Agreed. Michelin have said they're not interested in coming back to F1 until they use 18" tyres, too.

The FIA can just mandate the size of the brake discs.

Why bother when the wheels are already tiny.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

Stopping Distance is all about Mechanical grip. Good brakes are those that retard velocity while not causing the wheels to lock up and thus lose something like 70% of their mechanical grip.

Exactly, also larger rotors and calipers would increase unsprung mass which would have a negative effect on handling anyway. Having larger wheels just for marketings sake seems kinda stupid too.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Cojawfee posted:

Why bother when the wheels are already tiny.

I want to see an F1 car on monster truck wheels.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Can we at least agree that wheel covers are the worst thing to ever happen in F1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

marsisol posted:

Can we at least agree that wheel covers are the worst thing to ever happen in F1?

Yes. Holy crap those cars were fugly. I'd go as far as saying dicknoses look better (at least some look passably good).

• Locked thread