Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Frances Ha is Tiny Furniture made by and starring someone you don't want to constantly throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Cacator posted:

B&N can take a while to ship and sales only happen twice a year, but it's usually the best option. The shipping isn't free but it's not unreasonable. However last time someone mentioned that Cineplex apparently sells physical copies of movies which includes some (not all) Criterions, and you also get free movie passes to go along with it! They had a Boxing Day sale where everything was 50% off, not sure if they'll do anything more frequent than that.

Safe Driver posted:

Cineplex does a 50% off sale and a buy one get one but I couldn't tell you when they did the B1G1. The Criterion selection they have is huge, you just have to search by the UPC codes or its actual foreign title (ie at the time Wild Strawberries didn't show up, only "Smultronstället" did. They're lacking on the bigger boxsets though such as Zatoichi.

Shipping is free and really fast (for me I got everything next business day compared to B&N next business month...), plus you get SCENE points and sometimes movie passes as well if they go nuts with the promotions.

Thanks guys! I'll restrain myself to only Repo Man and Godzilla, and keep this thread bookmarked for the next explosion of posts.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

Cineplex does a 50% off sale and a buy one get one but I couldn't tell you when they did the B1G1. The Criterion selection they have is huge, you just have to search by the UPC codes or its actual foreign title (ie at the time Wild Strawberries didn't show up, only "Smultronstället" did. They're lacking on the bigger boxsets though such as Zatoichi.

Shipping is free and really fast (for me I got everything next business day compared to B&N next business month...), plus you get SCENE points and sometimes movie passes as well if they go nuts with the promotions.

I'll echo the love for Cineplex as well here in Canada as I made out pretty great during the christmas sale - bought the Criterion bluray of Purple Noon & noir blu-rays Plunder Road & Cry Danger that never drop in price. Even right now they've got oscar winners for slightly cheaper than amazon's prices, plus you get free shipping + a free movie's worth of SCENE points.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

zenintrude posted:

Frances Ha is Tiny Furniture made by and starring someone you don't want to constantly throttle.

Frances Ha is Tiny Furniture with self-awareness and charm.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zenintrude posted:

Wait, so Greta Gerwig doesn't star in it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sheldrake posted:

Wait, so Greta Gerwig doesn't star in it?

How. What, why?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

caiman posted:

How. What, why?

He's joking, because he actually would like to strangle the woman

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

morestuff posted:

He's joking, because he actually would like to strangle the woman

I understand, and I stand by my sarcastic confusion.

edit: In other words, what's wrong with Greta Gerwig? She's wonderful.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 7, 2014

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Has there been word yet of any flash sale golden ticket finders?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#29 - PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (Dual format upgrade, 6/17)

•Remastered high-definition digital film transfer, supervised and approved by director Peter Weir, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Extended interview with Weir
•New piece on the making of the film, featuring interviews from 2003 with executive producer Patricia Lovell, producers Hal McElroy and Jim McElroy, and cast members
•New introduction by film scholar David Thomson, author of The New Biographical Dictionary of Film
•A Recollection . . . Hanging Rock 1900 (1975), an on-set documentary hosted by Lovell and featuring interviews with Weir, actor Rachel Roberts, and source novel author Joan Lindsay
•Homesdale (1971), an award-winning black comedy by Weir
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Megan Abbott and an excerpt from film critic Marek Haltof’s 1996 book Peter Weir: When Cultures Collide; a new paperback edition of Lindsay’s original novel, previously out of print in the U.S.

About goddamn time. Not a fan of this cover but the extras are nice. One of my top 100 films.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#278 - L'ECLISSE (Dual format upgrade, 6/10)

•New, restored high-definition digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary by film scholar Richard Peña, former program director of New York’s Film Society of Lincoln Center
•Michelangelo Antonioni: The Eye That Changed Cinema (2001), a fifty-six-minute documentary exploring the director’s life and career
•Elements of Landscape, a twenty-two-minute piece from 2005 about Antonioni and L’eclisse, featuring Italian film critic Adriano Aprà and longtime Antonioni friend Carlo di Carlo
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by film critics Jonathan Rosenbaum and Gilberto Perez, as well as excerpts from Antonioni’s writing about his work

I dunno... I like Antonioni but I don't feel compelled to own this. Maybe.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#95 - ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (Dual format upgrade, 6/10)

•New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary featuring John Mercer, coauthor of Melodrama: Genre, Style, Sensibility, and film scholar Tamar Jeffers-McDonald
•Rock Hudson’s Home Movies (1992), a groundbreaking essay film about the actor by Mark Rappaport
•French television interview with Sirk from 1982
•Excerpts from Behind the Mirror: A Profile of Douglas Sirk, a 1979 BBC documentary featuring rare interview footage with the director
•Contract Kid: William Reynolds on Douglas Sirk, a 2007 interview with the actor, who costarred in three Sirk films, including All That Heaven Allows
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Laura Mulvey and an excerpt from a 1971 essay by filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder on Sirk

Criterion's cranking out the upgrades this month. This one is a no-brainer purchase for me. Again, not crazy about the new cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 17, 2014

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#710 - JUDEX (Dual format, 6/17)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wGnkGrI.jpg[/[/img]

•New 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Interview from 2007 with the film’s cowriter Jacques Champreux, the grandson of Louis Feuillade, cocreator of the silent serial Judex
•Interview from 2012 with actor Francine Bergé
•Franju le visionnaire, a fifty-minute program from 1998 on director Franju’s career and imagination
•New English subtitle translation
•One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Geoffrey O’Brien, along with reprinted writings by and excerpted interviews with Franju

#156 - HEARTS AND MINDS (Dual format upgrade, 6/17)

•High-definition digital restoration, supervised by director Peter Davis and cinematographer Richard Pearce, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary featuring Davis
•A collection of over two hours of never-before-seen outtakes from the film, including interviews with presidential adviser George Ball, broadcast journalist David Brinkley, French journalist and historian Philippe Devillers, political activist Tony Russo, and General William Westmoreland
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Davis, film critic Judith Crist, and historians Robert K. Brigham, George C. Herring, and Ngo Vinh Long

#711 - A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (Dual format, 6/24)

•New 4K digital film restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with two audio options—a monaural soundtrack and a new 5.1 surround soundtrack made by Apple Records—presented in uncompressed monaural and DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary featuring various members of the film’s cast and crew
•In Their Own Voices, a new piece combining interviews with the Beatles from 1964 with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
•You Can’t Do That: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary program by producer Walter Shenson
•Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, writer Alun Owen, cinematographer Gilbert Taylor,
and others
•New piece about Lester’s early work, featuring a new audio interview with the director
•The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film(1959), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan
•Anatomy of a Style, a new piece on Lester’s approach to editing
•New interview with Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years—Volume One
•Deleted scene
•Trailers
•One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Howard Hampton
•More!

Judex - love this movie, probably gonna buy it
Hearts and Minds - ANOTHER upgrade? no desire to see this again
A Hard Day's Night - maybe, I like it a lot but don't love it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't know that I'd buy it, but Hearts and Minds is on Hulu and should definitely be watched.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just the clips I've seen from Judex look fascinating. The only Franju I've seen is Eyes Without a Face, so I'll have to check it out. I haven't seen any Douglas Sirk films, though, which I probably should remedy...

Great to see A Hard Day's Night is getting such a lavish treatment, especially with all the focus on Richard Lester. Looks like they're getting all the worthwhile extras from the MPI and Miramax editions, plus adding more stuff. Great to see both Lester and Apple Corps involved on the transfer, too.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Hard Day's Night is a classic film, and I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray as soon as it comes out.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Buying A Hard Day's Night so fast... gonna watch Help! on Blu in anticipation.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I am excited beyond words for All That Heaven Allows on blu-ray. I'm going to stock up on hankies.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

leokitty posted:

I am excited beyond words for All That Heaven Allows on blu-ray. I'm going to stock up on hankies.

And, since it comes out in June that means it's just in time for the July B&N sale!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Not really a Criterion specific question, but are older films only able to be improved and 'cleaned up' to a certain degree? For instance, does the current DVD release of The Bicycle Thieves present the material as best as possible? I know nothing about film restoration, but I imagine that the original source material for most films made in the first half of the last century create a 'ceiling' for restoration capabilities

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

Not really a Criterion specific question, but are older films only able to be improved and 'cleaned up' to a certain degree? For instance, does the current DVD release of The Bicycle Thieves present the material as best as possible? I know nothing about film restoration, but I imagine that the original source material for most films made in the first half of the last century create a 'ceiling' for restoration capabilities

To a degree. It depends on how well the film was preserved. It's been awhile since I last watched Bicycle Thieves, but I remember the DVD looking fantastic. In fact, the BluRays of lots of older films look phenomenal. Crisp and clear, you can often see details that you don't even notice during a theatrical screening.

However, some films are limited in how well they be restored. For example, The Passion of Joan of Arc forever has this strange line on the edge of the screen:

Because the best (only?) surviving copy we had was stuck with those and they couldn't be removed.

On the other side of that coin, check out the screenshots from the 4K restoration of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Yeah, I mean, visually Bicycle Thieves is simply comprised of about 134,000 photographs shot in 1948. In the abstract the "ceiling" is quite high, to the extent that some restoration tools are still too clumsy and leave artifacts or telltale signs of their own on an image (google "digital noise reduction" or "edge enhancement"). Given a "perfect" master as a source one ought to be able to produce a disc limited by a DVD's "ceiling" rather than that of the image itself.

Criterion has some restoration demonstrations on YouTube. You may find "The Film That Warped Too Much" particularly instructive.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can only imagine what a nightmarish process it must be to restore three-strip Technicolor films where each strip has warped individually.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Actually, the edge artifact on The Passion of Joan of Arc is just part of the 35mm print they used for the DVD. The newer remaster used for the Masters of Cinema edition actually has a bit more picture visible and it's not there. I'd imagine that's just from it being an older transfer since in 1999, most people would still be watching on 4x3 CRT displays that would crop the image a bit from overscan. It's visible on the intertitles, which are clearly newer than the original 1928 footage. The MoC edition has the print's original Danish titles.

There's notes on restoration for Vampyr, People On Sunday, and Stagecoach that point out that digital cleanup could only go so far without leaving artifacts. They're films that survive only as film elements further from the negative.

Even the 4K restoration of The Godfather has occasional specks visible since all digital cleanup was applied manually instead of filtering. Otherwise, you can get disasters like Pathe's "restoration" of Children of Heaven with DVNR ruining a perfectly good scan. There's no reason to ever use noise reduction on a scan from an original negative in any case.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Polanski's Macbeth (most likely)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Egbert Souse posted:

:aaaaa: No loving way. That would kick so much rear end. Is that guesswork or something known to be in the works?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
That was a pretty clever drawing this time. "Out damned spot!"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ClydeUmney posted:

:aaaaa: No loving way. That would kick so much rear end. Is that guesswork or something known to be in the works?

Guesswork at this point, but Criterion intended to release it on laserdisc. They went as far to list it as upcoming at one point and with a spine number. Given they have a good relationship with Polanski and it's a Sony title, it's incredibly likely.

Plus, the Welles version is a bit less likely since there's already an edition from Olive Films, despite being bare-bones. Although, there's a slim chance of it being Welles' film since Riot in Cell Block 11 was licensed from Paramount despite being part of the same NTA/Republic/Spelling library licensed to Olive.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

"Out, damned spot" in case anyone was wondering why. It took me a minute.

Edit:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That was a pretty clever drawing this time. "Out damned spot!"

Oops!

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
Doesn't the Olive Films release of Welles's Macbeth only have the expanded cut with the original soundtrack? I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in watching the theatrical version except as a curiosity (never seen it myself), so Polanski's versions sounds more likely.

Still, I'd love to have a boxset with a good documentary about the making of the Welles Shakespeare films. Their production histories are pretty interesting.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

juan the owl posted:

Doesn't the Olive Films release of Welles's Macbeth only have the expanded cut with the original soundtrack? I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in watching the theatrical version except as a curiosity (never seen it myself), so Polanski's versions sounds more likely.

Still, I'd love to have a boxset with a good documentary about the making of the Welles Shakespeare films. Their production histories are pretty interesting.

I have long wished for a Criterion Welles boxset with "Othello", "Macbeth", "Chimes at Midnight" and "Filming Othello". Would likely never happen though.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I would have guessed See Spot Run but that dog clearly is not a mastiff

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Westchester Films has US rights to Othello, so it's a likely release. Chimes at Midnight has really tough rights issues apparently.

Also, Suzanne Lloyd confirmed the next Harold Lloyd release is a collection of all of his sound films. It will certainly include Welcome Danger, Feet First, Movie Crazy (one of his best films), The Cat's Paw, and The Milky Way. They will probably get Professor Beware from Universal and maybe they can get Preston Sturges' The Sin of Harold Diddlebock (public domain, but some rights might be with Warner). Hopefully it's not just an Eclipse set since Movie Crazy is fantastic. Although, Welcome Danger and Feet First are pretty bad.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

Chimes at Midnight has really tough rights issues apparently.

Why is that, anyway?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Here's to hoping tomorrow's fake release will be at least as funny as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXwHR3mQ8c

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Here's to hoping tomorrow's fake release will be at least as funny as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXwHR3mQ8c

I'm hoping for something like Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat. As massive, very expensive special edition with fancy packaging, all dedicated to a 30 second long film.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Fingers crossed for Space Jam getting the Criterion treatment.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm hoping for something like Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat. As massive, very expensive special edition with fancy packaging, all dedicated to a 30 second long film.

Either that or Let's All Go to the Lobby since it was entered into the National Film Registry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Either that or Let's All Go to the Lobby since it was entered into the National Film Registry.

That was inducted back in 2000, an inclusion for which the Nitrate Vault Manager at the Library of Congress (George Willeman) takes credit (in the documentary These Amazing Shadows).

(And I suppose it's technically an orphan film, so, you know, better that than a bunch of other films on the list.)