Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CBJSprague24 posted:

The rest rules made sense to me, the 1,500 hour rule still seems flawed.

The 1,500 Hour Rule/The ATP Law.

http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/1500Rule/

Mandates a minimum of 1,500 hours flight time to operate a commercial flight for an American carrier, with some exceptions for alums of selected aviation schools. Previously, airlines could hire with as little as 250, though hiring minimums could fluctuate with demand. Then Colgan 3407 happened, the families, Chuck Schumer, and Captain Sully got involved, and spit out a law that may not have prevented the accident which inspired it.

e- Fixed link.

Just wondering, is there a similar law in Canada? IE do I need to be an instructor, or do something else non-carrier like to get hired by a regional carrier? Or can I hop right outta flight school with my 250 hours, get really lucky and get hired by, I dunno, bearskin or Air Georgian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

CBJSprague24 posted:

with some exceptions for alums of selected aviation schools.
Whooooooa I hadn't heard of this part lemme guess is it

The Slaughter posted:

The exemptions they carved out for Riddle/UND are absolute horseshit, however.

...Yep. Of course. :ughh: God that screams typical-reactionary-lawmaking-but-get-your-special-interests-in-while-it's-hot bullshit.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
The worst part is I'm finishing my riddle degree through worldwide- it IS an aviation BS. But because I didn't train at Embry Riddle's 141 school for instrument and commercial, I can't get the exemption. Never mind that I /taught/ and was standardized at another part 141 school, allowed to teach 141 that met the same standards as the Riddle program, but I didn't LEARN under it and pay them the big $$$ so 1500 for you, sir.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Starting my PPL this Friday! Excited as hell.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

The worst part is I'm finishing my riddle degree through worldwide- it IS an aviation BS. But because I didn't train at Embry Riddle's 141 school for instrument and commercial, I can't get the exemption. Never mind that I /taught/ and was standardized at another part 141 school, allowed to teach 141 that met the same standards as the Riddle program, but I didn't LEARN under it and pay them the big $$$ so 1500 for you, sir.

:smithcloud::hf::mad: My alma mater managed to get approval under the new regs, but because I finished my commercial under part 61 and not 141, I was mildly upset at the school that I didn't qualify for the R-ATP (who the hell knew that it was going to screw me over, I was trying to save money at the time). So yeah, I can understand your frustration at having the experience but not jumping through the right hoops for the lower mins.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

It is a fun and magical journey, enjoy it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It seems to me that the dividing line on The 1,500 Hour Rule is where you stand in the industry.

Established pilots, especially more veteran ones, embrace the "YOU drat KIDS PAY YOUR DUES" mindset, whereas the younger airline crowd or pilots either in training or acting as CFIs/doing commercial flying jobs now are the ones to call bullshit.

I know Great Lakes seems to be a lovely place to work, but I suggested in my Capstone that based upon their struggles to find crews, why not lower the minimums a bit for EAS operators like Great Lakes, Silver, or Cape Air? Finish your training with 250 or so, spend another ~250ish as a CFI, etc., then go fly B-1900s/EMB-120s/Saab 340s/Cessna 402s until you get to ~1000. Build some turboprop time, get some real life experience, then you can be turned loose on larger turboprops (Q400) or regional jets.

The Slaughter posted:

Butt Reactor posted:

:smithcloud::hf::mad: My alma mater managed to get approval under the new regs, but because I finished my commercial under part 61 and not 141, I was mildly upset at the school that I didn't qualify for the R-ATP (who the hell knew that it was going to screw me over, I was trying to save money at the time). So yeah, I can understand your frustration at having the experience but not jumping through the right hoops for the lower mins.

I'm literally in the hybrid situation to you two. I'm an ERAU-WW alum who did Private 141 at a pilot mill which partnered with a community college, then finished Instrument 61 after the pilot mill bailed on the CC and their new program wasn't yet 141 approved. The CC is now in the process of getting approved for R-ATP, but because I did their training 61, it doesn't matter. I got an Associate's from the CC. (On that note, gently caress any stigmas you might have about community colleges. I had harder classes there than I did at Riddle. Aerodynamics? GIMME DAT C+!)

On other sites like Airliners.net, it always used to be acceptable/suggested to train Part 61 as opposed to going to a flight training program or college to save money because it's the same ticket. Now, the Law is a great thing in spite of the "acceptable" alternatives to pilot mills now no longer being as smart an option.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just wondering, is there a similar law in Canada? IE do I need to be an instructor, or do something else non-carrier like to get hired by a regional carrier? Or can I hop right outta flight school with my 250 hours, get really lucky and get hired by, I dunno, bearskin or Air Georgian?

I can't speak for much up there, but as I also turned up in my Capstone research, Air Georgian and Air Canada have a cadet program. You apply for it even with no experience and, if you're chosen, you do 44 weeks worth of training in Florida. Upon successful completion, you're hired with Air Georgian. Fly with them for four years, don't screw up or piss off Transport Canada or management, and you're hired at Air Canada.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Great Lakes is apparently ripping seats out of some of their planes so they can operate under part 135.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't speak for much up there, but as I also turned up in my Capstone research, Air Georgian and Air Canada have a cadet program. You apply for it even with no experience and, if you're chosen, you do 44 weeks worth of training in Florida. Upon successful completion, you're hired with Air Georgian. Fly with them for four years, don't screw up or piss off Transport Canada or management, and you're hired at Air Canada.
Cool. I think my flight school had a deal or partnership with AG already.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

(On that note, gently caress any stigmas you might have about community colleges. I had harder classes there than I did at Riddle. Aerodynamics? GIMME DAT C+!)

I had harder classes in High School than I did at Riddle. Hell, I had one class where I decided on the topic for my final project as I was walking to the front of the class to present it.

[unionrantandsalespitch]

Voting on the TA at eagle closes in the next 24 hours. If you know someone who works there tell 'em to vote no. Tell 'em that concessions in this day and age are a horrible idea. Tell 'em that 10 years from now this will be a rock bottom contract. Tell 'em that the "enhanced flow" isn't going to matter when the big 3 are all hiring 1000+ a year. Tell 'em that 170 airplanes is still shrinking. And if all else fails....

Tide posted:

...tell them to vote no for this guy!

[/unionrantandsalespitch]

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Had an Eagle guy on the jumpseat yesterday. He said he was a no voter and was scared about how it would turn out. He seemed pretty militant about it, which gave me comfort. Crossing my fingers here.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know Great Lakes seems to be a lovely place to work, but I suggested in my Capstone that based upon their struggles to find crews, why not lower the minimums a bit for EAS operators like Great Lakes, Silver, or Cape Air? Finish your training with 250 or so, spend another ~250ish as a CFI, etc., then go fly B-1900s/EMB-120s/Saab 340s/Cessna 402s until you get to ~1000. Build some turboprop time, get some real life experience, then you can be turned loose on larger turboprops (Q400) or regional jets.

Edit: This works for the American Eagle/Republic TAs, as well ;)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

Edit: This works for the American Eagle/Republic TAs, as well ;)

:golfclap:

Cape Air is 135 right? What is Silver? And what are the 135 mins?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This might end up looking silly, but:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just wondering, is there a similar law in Canada?

No, but I wouldn't put it past Enlightened Leader Steve-Un Harper to try and pass a law like this before he leaves office. Fortunately I think saner heads would prevail and it wouldn't get far.

quote:

IE do I need to be an instructor,

Either this

quote:

or do something else non-carrier like to get hired by a regional carrier?

Or this. If you go this route and go work at a 703, be prepared to work for 12-24 months in a non-flying role at the company before you get into an airplane.

quote:

Or can I hop right outta flight school with my 250 hours, get really lucky and get hired by, I dunno, bearskin

Don't count on Bearskin; they're pretty firm on 1000TT from what I gather (plus they kinda suck from what I hear)

quote:

or Air Georgian?

They have their cadet program, but with your diploma and licenses you'd likely get to bypass that...straight into a 12-24,month non-flying job. Then again you could get lucky and go direct to the right seat, but don't count on that.

Hope that helps!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am patient. I can easily do the 12-24 months desk jockeying hoping to prove my stuff til they say "Well, what could hurt sticking him in the right seat".

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hours logged really helped Colgan Flight 3407 didn't it?

I don't care how many hours you log, any lovely pilot can get lucky for long enough. You need to assess ability of the individual, not numbers in a log book.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am patient. I can easily do the 12-24 months desk jockeying hoping to prove my stuff til they say "Well, what could hurt sticking him in the right seat".

Just don't distract the captain with your head cold.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Hire only military pilots to the major airlines.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xaarman posted:

Hire only military pilots to the major airlines.

Absolutely. And make sure it's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1a8_EM_bKc

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Or that one guy who had disciplinary problems which finally caught up with him when he got cute with a B-52 at low altitude and turned into a ball of flames.

Well, not HIM, but somebody like him.

MrChips posted:

Or this. If you go this route and go work at a 703, be prepared to work for 12-24 months in a non-flying role at the company before you get into an airplane.

Is this common in Canada? I remember watching Ice Pilots and seeing people progress from "grunt" to "van-driving grunt" to "rampie" to flight attendant for some god drat reason before getting a crack at the right seat, but didn't know if that was just a Buffalo thing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh ye of little faith...

Wait that's a military crash video too. poo poo.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this common in Canada? I remember watching Ice Pilots and seeing people progress from "grunt" to "van-driving grunt" to "rampie" to flight attendant for some god drat reason before getting a crack at the right seat, but didn't know if that was just a Buffalo thing.

It's pretty common in the air taxi side (what we call 703 operators and you Americans would call Part 135s). There are lots of reasons why they do it; insurance history for you as an employee, as a vetting process to weed out fucktards...in a nutshell it's "PAY YOUR DUES WHELP", just in a slightly different way. Some companies are pretty cool about it, maintaining a seniority list of the non-flying pilots and giving them experience in lots of different areas of the company before they fly; others are scummy as gently caress and treat you little better than slave labour with a vague promise of flying at some point. As much as I'm not a Buffalo fan, they actually do a good job of this aspect.

Of course at the top of the cycle it all goes out the window; a few years ago here were a number of pilots who went straight from being 200-hour wonders and straight into the right seat of a Dash at Air Canada Jazz, but that is definitely not the rule around here.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 28, 2014

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Duke Chin posted:

Absolutely. And make sure it's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1a8_EM_bKc

Or this guy;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFIB1L3BPU

or maybe this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOO60OoqGCE

Dumb shits come in both military and civilian versions.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ausgezeichnet posted:

Dumb shits come in both military and civilian versions.

Oh they definitely do. And I didn't mean for my post to pick on Mil folks at all. That one always just sticks out in my mind because he was hotdogging AND he almost wiped out a bunch of soldiers on the ground. :mad: And he wiped out a perfectly good 64D.

I've always been curious as to any follow up from that crash but have never been able to find anything.

ed: Also, nobody died in my video, thank god/deity/whathaveyou.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 29, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Hours logged really helped Colgan Flight 3407 didn't it?

I don't care how many hours you log, any lovely pilot can get lucky for long enough. You need to assess ability of the individual, not numbers in a log book.

Logic and reason aren't in the FAA's or congress' repertoire unfortunately.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How's our 3rd class medical bill going by the way? I sure hope that passes. Seriously.

I emailed all of my senators/reps to help get it pushed along.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

AE TA Results:

No: %70
Yes: %30
Participation: %92

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

YES!

...I mean, NO! Awesome.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Duke Chin posted:

Oh they definitely do. And I didn't mean my post to pick on Mil folks at all. That one always just sticks out in my mind because he was hotdogging AND he almost wiped out a bunch of soldiers on the ground. :mad: And he wiped out a perfectly good 64D.

I've always been curious as to any follow up from that crash but have never been able to find anything.

ed: Also, nobody died in my video, thank god/deity/whathaveyou.

I was supporting your position against xaarman's that all Legacy Airline pilots should have military backgrounds because that's wack. I've flown with total loving weirdo pure-civilian guys and total loving tender egomaniac pure-military guys and neither career track manages to weed out all the psychos.

KodiakRS posted:

AE TA Results:

No: %70
Yes: %30
Participation: %92

So happy to see this. The worst thing to happen to Eagle - ever - was the stupid 16-year contract they signed in 1997 for shiny new jets. Regional pilots these days have so little to lose by turning down concessionary TA's.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Good for Eagle

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So what does that mean?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Basically, it shows that Eagle pilots called managements bluff (they threatened to shut down the airline if pilots rejected the last lousy offer, but then came back to the table with the most recent lousy offer when the last one was voted down), and more importantly, it shows that regional pilots are sick of bad contracts and aren't willing to sign away pay and quality of life for a promise of shiny new jets or vague flow-through promises.

At this point, regional pilots seem to have collectively figured out that management needs them more than the other way around, and aside from PSA, they're making it clear that they intend to use the current situation for leverage to claw back some of the cuts they've taken over the last decade or so.

These votes have also highlighted issues that a lot of regional pilots have with ALPA. During the last 3 contract votes, ALPA was telling the pilots that they should vote in the contracts, which has fueled criticism that the union is only looking out for major airline pilots. In at least one case, the pilots recalled their union reps as a result of ALPA' s conduct, and the union hasn't responded with anything better than a half-assed video explaining their actions.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 28, 2014

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Countdown to an airline job starts in July and I have two years based on the new ATP written rules. I'll probably have somewhere around 500 hours around. Anyone else in the same boat? I don't see how I'd be able to pay for that class that the FAA wants us to take just to take the written

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The new written requirements are very similar to what's covered in airline ground school, so they seem to be assuming that airlines will hire people, put them through training, and then have them take the ATP written towards the end of the training.

If the new written covers more relevant material than the current one, I can see that approach working, but I can see airlines adding a training contract or something to make up for the "unknown factor" of spending $10-15k on simulator training for someone who hasn't passed a written exam yet.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

So what does that mean?

Eagle pilots were being asked to take concessions in the form of pay caps, removal of COLA raises, reduction in vacation time, increase in healthcare premiums, and reductions in perdiem. The "carrot" was that the airline would be guaranteed a fleet of 170 airplanes (currently we have 200+) and would be offered improved flow to AA mainline based on seniority.

The problems with the TA were:

-They wanted to have their pilots fly larger airplanes (more responsibility) and pay them less.
-The duration of the contract was 10 years. The industry is going to look VERY different in 3-4 years let alone 10. They wanted to shackle us to a low cost contract while they could.
-Taking concessions on the eve of what is shaping up to be a huge pilot shortage is just plain dumb.

As to what happens now? No one is really sure. AAG managment is probably pissed that this didn't go through. They reallllly were hoping to put a bunch of E-175's at AE over the next few years but they claimed that if we voted that contract down it wouldn't happen. Now they either have to find a regional carrier that has enough pilots to staff the 60 airplanes that start showing up in a few months or they have to eat their own words and put 'em at AE anyway. The catch is that they need to find a regional carrier with about 600 spare pilots over the next 2 years, or the ability to drop that much flying and that just doesn't exist right now.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday's flight/first lesson was canceled due to weather, so first lesson moved to today. Given the wind and cloud movement, should be for a fairly bumpy ride.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
How many of you guys use foreflight on an ipad while flying? Is it a worthwhile investment?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

How many of you guys use foreflight on an ipad while flying? Is it a worthwhile investment?

Love it, could never go back to paper charts.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Absolutely worth it for general aviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What size ipad do you use? Do you use it on a kneeboard or a window mount?

• Locked thread