Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Any of you guys playing Quest of Dungeons? https://itunes.apple.com/app/id698726956/

Sounds like a roguelike so consider me interested if it's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know Clash of Clans is a "dirty, free to play" game. But it's also extremely popular, and played long term, even by rather educated folks right here in this thread.

Tomorrow, that company's new game, Boom Beach comes out, and the early press on the soft launch is that it is good.

Anyway, my question: other than building poo poo and fending off ai characters, what is Boom Beach's social aspect. Do you fight others? Clan up? Compete?

I'm genuinely interested. I never played Clash of Clans, and feel it's kind of late to bother, but may want to get in on the ground floor of Boom Beach.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Feenix posted:

I know Clash of Clans is a "dirty, free to play" game. But it's also extremely popular, and played long term, even by rather educated folks right here in this thread.

Tomorrow, that company's new game, Boom Beach comes out, and the early press on the soft launch is that it is good.

Anyway, my question: other than building poo poo and fending off ai characters, what is Boom Beach's social aspect. Do you fight others? Clan up? Compete?

I'm genuinely interested. I never played Clash of Clans, and feel it's kind of late to bother, but may want to get in on the ground floor of Boom Beach.

Some talk has transpired about it here. From what I recall there was talk of some kind of community islands or something you can assault to earn more resource collectors?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

You are better off asking in the clash of clans topic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604338

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I could argue that having a PC for playing games is more childish.

Nuh uh

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sad lions posted:

If we're still doing this:
I'm really looking forward to parts 3 and 4 of Sorcery!.
It's the weirdest thing but giving me the option to virtually thumb the pages like I did as a kid playing with a choose your own adventure to cheat and see the alternatives just opens it up for me and makes it more fun.

Me too dude -- even though I suspect it's more linear than I initially thought it was (which is fine, because, at least on the first play through, it seriously feels magical) the game at least gives the impression that it's HUGE and sprawling. Chapter 2 was gigantic compared to the first and the few quality-of-life changes they made to interfaces and stuff were great. Really can't wait for 3 & 4.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Kenny Logins posted:

New Rocketcat game and You Must Build a Boat still on the horizon

Yeah we're about to submit Wayward Souls. Here's a 20 minute long video where I talk about it: http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/21/gdc-2014-wayward-souls/

I still need to check out Cardinal Quest 2. I avoided it till now because the first one had almost no tactical element to the combat. In its goal to simplify the genre it accidentally threw that out too. But I'll check out the sequel.

Speaking of :pcgaming: ROGUELIKES :pcgaming: there's one coming out this week called Shattered Planet. It's pretty cool so far, the only downside is that it's not so much tactics based as it is grinding based. Not as bad as Dungelot though, as there's still elemnents of avoidance/running, potion throwing, and the grind is a lot more pleasant. I got a code from the developer who I've known for awhile due to a PC game they made, seeing if they'll come on here.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kepa posted:

Yeah we're about to submit Wayward Souls. Here's a 20 minute long video where I talk about it: http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/21/gdc-2014-wayward-souls/

I still need to check out Cardinal Quest 2. I avoided it till now because the first one had almost no tactical element to the combat. In its goal to simplify the genre it accidentally threw that out too. But I'll check out the sequel.

Speaking of :pcgaming: ROGUELIKES :pcgaming: there's one coming out this week called Shattered Planet. It's pretty cool so far, the only downside is that it's not so much tactics based as it is grinding based. Not as bad as Dungelot though, as there's still elemnents of avoidance/running, potion throwing, and the grind is a lot more pleasant. I got a code from the developer who I've known for awhile due to a PC game they made, seeing if they'll come on here.

I only grabbed Cardinal Quest 2 yesterday but so far it is way, way better than the first. It's still a simplified roguelike but there's actually a decent amount of decision making and the difficulty seems to be pretty good. Also as of right now at least the IAP is completely inoffensive and optional.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Jesus dude, relax. You're pretty defensive and you haven't even played the game yet.

Can you point us to some of the positive press you've seen about Boom Beach? The only positive press I've ever heard for Clash of Clans is "it makes a lot of money", not that it's fun.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Jesus dude, relax. You're pretty defensive and you haven't even played the game yet.

Can you point us to some of the positive press you've seen about Boom Beach? The only positive press I've ever heard for Clash of Clans is "it makes a lot of money", not that it's fun.

Relax? I'm not being defensive. I was using the description in quotes in a facetious manner. The internet at large seems to really get a hate-on for freemium timer games. (As well as most folks in this forum.) I think you grossly misunderstood my tone.
Basically, I was saying despite the fact that it exhibits all the telltale signs of a game that folks usually trash for being Freemium, it seems to have a good following, and dedicated long term players. I wanted to know more about what it was people enjoyed about it, having not known anything about the game, really.

Positive press for Boom Beach: Posts here and there from folks in the soft launch.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

UncleSmoothie posted:

Boom Beach was a lot of fun initially when I played it a few months ago, it did get frustrating that you would sometimes get paired up with another player who was higher in level than you and you could not kill him no matter what.

It also taps into the "You're going to get attacked and lose everything" emotion that everyone I think plays these games has. That emotion will motivate the weak into purchasing their currency.

Its a different style of what Clash of Clans is: Build Base, Destroy others. But really, its pretty much the same game with a different meta.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kepa posted:

This looks fuckin tight. At least in the art. One hopes it animates well. (or animates at all, in the case of Roguelikes, hahah...)

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

I only grabbed Cardinal Quest 2 yesterday but so far it is way, way better than the first. It's still a simplified roguelike but there's actually a decent amount of decision making and the difficulty seems to be pretty good. Also as of right now at least the IAP is completely inoffensive and optional.

Oh wow, I played it and it's a HUGE improvement over Cardinal Quest 1. Lots more variety, they made the loot system have multiple stats so it's less brainless now, and they did some little tweaks to the combat to make it actually engaging. I think enemies are more numerous and engaging now, with more variety in their attacks? So you actually have to use your abilities to survive.

I beat the first act on my first try haha. I decided to make my Fighter as stealthy as possible. Worked amazingly well.

Feenix posted:

This looks fuckin tight. At least in the art. One hopes it animates well. (or animates at all, in the case of Roguelikes, hahah...)

Shattered Planet animates nice, the Flash style of 2d puppet animations. Pretty seamless, nice art style all around. I especially like the tiles. Oh, and when it's out tonight it will be free like Cardinal Quest 2 is.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I CAN'T STOP PLAYING WATERDEEP.

I'm not even playing with people yet because I'm so bad but it's really really fun.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Is Waterdeep easier to get into than Agricola?

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.
It's definitely got fewer 'systems' than Agricola, which makes it both easier to digest & present on a phone/tablet screen. If you're ever played Caylus, it's a very similar game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kepa posted:

Oh wow, I played it and it's a HUGE improvement over Cardinal Quest 1. Lots more variety, they made the loot system have multiple stats so it's less brainless now, and they did some little tweaks to the combat to make it actually engaging. I think enemies are more numerous and engaging now, with more variety in their attacks? So you actually have to use your abilities to survive.

I beat the first act on my first try haha. I decided to make my Fighter as stealthy as possible. Worked amazingly well.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of cardinal quest 1, but I just tried the 2nd and it is awesome. I tried the rogue and wizard class. They both play very different from the warrior, so I'm looking forward to the other classes.

And I also beat act 1 on my first try. My warrior got a long sword with +3 attack and I got its damage 1-11 damage with whetstones. With berserk and bless weapon I got over 20 attack and destroyed the boss.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Boom Beach (is out by the way) seems about what one would expect... at least this early on. Buildin poo poo, waiting for it, building more poo poo, going out and attacking stuff... I haven't hit any "other people exist and you must interact with them in this manner" stuff yet.

I will say this, maybe the Tutorial will kick back in at some point, but it had me do like 2 or 3 thing and it just kind of abandoned me to my own devices. I know how to build and upgrade stuff, but it didn't really explain a healthy "cycle" of progression.

Like, I've attacked everything not obscured by clouds. I can pay money to explore things covered by clouds. (in-game coins, that is) but SHOULD I be? Or does upgrading my Radar extend my field of view? (I made my Radar dish Level 2 but the area of view didn't appreciably (or at all?) widen.)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nybble posted:

Is Waterdeep easier to get into than Agricola?

Lords of Waterdeep is pretty much as barebones as it gets (I don't mean that as a slight or anything) when it comes to worker placement, so yeah. There aren't any cards that really change the core rules of the game, and the core rules are basically "pick up quests and then pick up dudes to complete quests and get points." There's not much else to it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Waterdeep feels most like Stone Age with cards, to me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Or maybe Stone Age with more forms of direct player interaction, since a lot of the cards are about directly screwing over another player.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Must be why I can't play stone age for 5 minutes but I can't seem to put Waterdeep away!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
loving love Waterdeep. What are your guys IGN? Hit up 'virulent' for evening PST games.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kepa posted:

Wow I skimmed through that video and it looks amazingly fun. I'm now really looking forward to shelling out a whole $5.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

More carindal quest 2 talk

I managed to beat act 2 on my first try on normal mode. I can't imagine doing that boss with a warrior, but with a wizard it was a calk walk.

I used those points to unlock a ranger, because who doesn't was a puppy ally. Ranger seems a little weaker than warrior or wizard. The dog is a little over eager to argo enemies, but it does run away if you get far back enough. My bow only deals 1-5 on max level. And you take a whooping 3 skills slots for arrows and dog stuff. However ranger seems to get a poo poo load of morale. Every gold pile gives you that much morale as well as gold.

Only problem I have with the game right now it has crashed on my twice and you lose your whole floor's progress. If a floor is taking a while, you should save. It crashed on me a few more times in the menu screens, but that is not a big deal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Technically speaking, Boom Beach is pretty solid short of it crashes to springboard a-fuckin'-lot.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shwqa posted:

More carindal quest 2 talk

I managed to beat act 2 on my first try on normal mode. I can't imagine doing that boss with a warrior, but with a wizard it was a calk walk.

I used those points to unlock a ranger, because who doesn't was a puppy ally. Ranger seems a little weaker than warrior or wizard. The dog is a little over eager to argo enemies, but it does run away if you get far back enough. My bow only deals 1-5 on max level. And you take a whooping 3 skills slots for arrows and dog stuff. However ranger seems to get a poo poo load of morale. Every gold pile gives you that much morale as well as gold.

Only problem I have with the game right now it has crashed on my twice and you lose your whole floor's progress. If a floor is taking a while, you should save. It crashed on me a few more times in the menu screens, but that is not a big deal.

I deleted it after one-trying all three acts on normal as a fighter then discovering that's it. I bought the pugilist who is actually decent but I just felt like I had my fill and absorbed all the content for now. So, so much better than CQ1.

The act 2 boss isn't really that tough but I had a fighter with sleep, improved frenzy, speed spell, attack + spell, intimidate and shadow walk so it really wasn't tough. The third act boss is tougher due to all the mind blasting.

I wish more free games were like this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Kepa: where's Shattered Planet? :(

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Has the game Out There been discussed yet? Anyone have any impressions?
It basically sounds like its a space survival/exploration game (so naturally FTL comes up) with a more board gamey feel. Sounds up my alley but haven't broke down and bought it yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JHVH-1 posted:

It basically sounds like its a space survival/exploration game (so naturally FTL comes up) with a more board gamey feel. Sounds up my alley but haven't broke down and bought it yet.

Yes, this thread was (mostly) on its dick for a few pages or so when it came out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Most of us eventually came to the same opinions as the Pocket Tactics Review, which puts it better than I can state:

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-out-there/

Pocket Tactics posted:

Peiffert has made a number of provisions with replayability in mind. The star map is huge, and though not randomly generated, there’s many potential paths to take through it. There’s also multiple endings to the game. But Out There rides so heavily on its beauty and the strangeness of its setting that it is necessarily less enchanting each time you start a new venture. Perhaps some concessions to modern gaming would have been good here, too — a procedurally generated universe would have been much easier to go back to after losing a game.

But I can’t bring myself to award Out There anything less than top marks. Maybe it’s not a game that I will put 20 or 30 hours into and replay again and again. But that doesn’t diminish how beautiful and wondrous my first four or five hours with it were. I can find flaws in Out There as a game, but as an experience it is moving and unique and truly memorable — and there’s few games that merit that sort of praise.

I think the presentation is beautiful and it really captures the pressures of survival while being on an Odyssey in a truly alien place, but...is there enough game there when you are essentially juggling only three different necessary resources and there is no procedurally generated universe?

Still one of my favorite games though.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

JHVH-1 posted:

It could've been good. Should've been good. Isn't good. It's almost entirely a random series of events. There is theoretical resource management involved, but that is also so heavily reliant on random events that at there just isn't really any game to it. It's FTL without any combat, crew, or unlockables, which is most of the game.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

Feenix posted:

Kepa: where's Shattered Planet? :(

Supposed to be out tomorrow. http://www.kitfoxgames.com/

Cardinal Quest 2 talk: Man Paladin sucks. Or it is for me because I keep getting red spells, which hurt the Paladin. It's pretty bizarre, last game I had the starter blue prayer, and then 4 weak red spells that hurt me every time I cast them. Nothing else spawned.

Ranger's pretty good if you max out the dog and more or less ignore her arrows. Maybe put a couple of levels in the bow at the end just so you can plink at spellcasters. If your dog gets a distract off (which hurts enemy defense) it seems to help your bow a lot, too.

Pugilist is really fun, with its positional attacks. Though I think warrior and thief are probably the most effective. Warrior with a selection of the other characters' best stuff just wrecks everything so far. Sleep, shadow walk, dispel, berserk, and then whatever final thing (fear, heal, or enchant weapon) is probably my favorite loadout.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Papa Sangre II just went free FYI
http://appshopper.com/games/papa-sangre-ii

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Boom Beach seems like a lot of fun at the moment, I just wish it had more of a social element.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Notorious QIG posted:

Hearthstone is also supposed to iPad soon, the game is pretty much perfect for sofa play.

I'm actually waiting to play this when it releases on iPad. Magic on the iPad is a much better fit than Magic on PC and I imagine this will be similar.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kepa posted:

Cardinal Quest 2 talk:...

Pugilist is really fun, with its positional attacks. Though I think warrior and thief are probably the most effective. Warrior with a selection of the other characters' best stuff just wrecks everything so far. Sleep, shadow walk, dispel, berserk, and then whatever final thing (fear, heal, or enchant weapon) is probably my favorite loadout.
Yeah, the base warrior is really quite effective. I would second the recommendation for shadow walk. Being able to duck around a corner and then be able to stealthily close the gap may not be world-shattering but it does make the game a lot of fun. As far as levelling a warrior I think every act I just followed the same base thing of increasing base damage, then base attack, then getting intimidate, and getting upgraded frenzy when available and finishing out with whatever I could take in the hardening skill. It's pretty easy.

The pugilist has a neat skill where he can launch an attack on up to 4 enemies surrounding him, daze them (give sleep status) and get (attack? damage?) bonuses depending on how many enemies he hit. Basically, a fun risk/reward based on being surrounded. The starting "uppercut" skill is handy as well, as you do a big attack that pushes an enemy back a space and moves you one space forward to follow them. These skills recharge based on making a certain amount of successful melee attacks after using them. It's a fun class that is about as effective as the warrior while being distinct.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

concerned mom posted:

Boom Beach seems like a lot of fun at the moment, I just wish it had more of a social element.
I've managed to accidentally lock myself out of being able to attack anything for the next 12 hours (and I need to babysit it every 20 minutes along the way). What the hell Supercell.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm actually waiting to play this when it releases on iPad. Magic on the iPad is a much better fit than Magic on PC and I imagine this will be similar.

Playing Hearthstone on an iPad via SplashTop feels great, I can't wait until the game runs natively on the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm enjoying Boom Beach so far... But it's really slim on explanation. I added an Armory which just says "reinforces troops" but now that it's built I'm still left unclear about the benefit.

• Locked thread