Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

7thBatallion posted:

Man, this is the most boring game of hide and seek ever. Let's ditch that loser and play some Street Fighter II.

Plane went down in Yoga Flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Farb
Aug 6, 2009

I'd give you a ride, but I got Karl Farbman here.
where the plane at

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

K. Farb posted:

where the plane at

we right here dog

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rambling Robot posted:

OUR Maddie <3

Not my Maddie

She was selected, not elected

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm hearing rumours search teams have found the Wings.

They're now looking for the Wongs.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

WastedJoker posted:

They picked up the Pings last week.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

WastedJoker posted:

upboat

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Vin BioEthanol posted:

carbon neutral.

But seriously if this radiation thing ever did get out of hand we could have nuclear powered other aircraft with big nets to catch the ghost planes and haul them up to space before they became a problem.

and then once wintertime rolls around, the net jets simply freeze to death.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not my Maddie

She was selected, not elected

her parents ever go to prison for killing this kid?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

The Rage posted:

her parents ever go to prison for killing this kid?

no, because why would rich people kill their kids while on holiday, silly?

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
yeah i mean dont rich people have like servants to kill their kids for them, like in downton abbey

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Skipjack posted:

yeah i mean dont rich people have like servants to kill their kids for them, like in downton abbey

I bet they sold OUR Maddie to the Vatican.

Why else did the Pope publicly bless OUR Maddie?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's all well and good to talk about electrical fires shorting out the communication systems and what have you, but no one has yet explained WHY the electrical system would short out. Until now.

Observe: The co-pilot wanted to play a prank on the captain and brought an electric fan on board. As we all know asian people are TERRIFIED of electric fans, so when the co-pilot turned it on, the captain panicked and pissed all over the fan.

Result: Electric short.

How's THAT for an episode of Air Disaster?!

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

brylcreem posted:

It's all well and good to talk about electrical fires shorting out the communication systems and what have you, but no one has yet explained WHY the electrical system would short out. Until now.

Observe: The co-pilot wanted to play a prank on the captain and brought an electric fan on board. As we all know asian people are TERRIFIED of electric fans, so when the co-pilot turned it on, the captain panicked and pissed all over the fan.

Fans are only lethal to Koreans you racist.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

ILL ON PZONES posted:

False. I know at least several Koreans who have not been killed by electric fans.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
I was searching for parachute planes after this thread and I found this lol
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24923080/2014/03/08/plane-collides-into-skydivers-parachute-mid-air

gonna click right until your DOOM airplane and parachute man

more fun than a gif

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Oh hey, the Maldives National Defense Force figured out it wasn't a bomb.

Now they think it's likely an aircraft fire extinguisher :v:

quote:

The unknown object found in Baarah in Haa Alif Atoll of the Maldives is "very likely" to be a fire suppression bottle from an aircraft, local aviation experts said on Wednesday.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's from a downed aircraft - it could just be part of the random assload of garbage floating around in the ocean.

It's unlikely that it's from MH370, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

Oh hey, the Maldives National Defense Force figured out it wasn't a bomb.

Now they think it's likely an aircraft fire extinguisher :v:

Of course, that doesn't mean it's from a downed aircraft - it could just be part of the random assload of garbage floating around in the ocean.

It's unlikely that it's from MH370, though.

Would they be able to determine what plane - if any - it came from?

Or are there not gigantic binders for each plane that just have the serial numbers for all their components like I'm suddenly imagining.

Because I'm picturing a comically huge binder being leafed through by a comically tiny and ancient librarian.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
As far as I'm aware, it might be buried in archives somewhere as to where this part was fitted. There are a lot of planes, and a lot of parts on each plane, though. I'm not certain that they are in an easily searchable database, though... could just be in paperwork somewhere

As long as the maintenance records were well-kept, if parts were replaced, it should theoretically be possible to track it down.

You can see where the points of failure for this system are - while it's theoretically possible, it'd be a bitch to do and not necessarily doable. Some tech crew somewhere might have hosed up. This isn't a U.S. airline, either, so who knows what their record keeping is like.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That's pretty much what I thought. Too many parts, too many planes, not enough money, time, or people.

But frankly, any system that doesn't have a dude who looks like a mini Woodhouse manhandling a cobweb covered book the size of a linebacker onto an antique wooden table is a failure of a system :colbert:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's pretty much what I thought. Too many parts, too many planes, not enough money, time, or people.

But frankly, any system that doesn't have a dude who looks like a mini Woodhouse manhandling a cobweb covered book the size of a linebacker onto an antique wooden table is a failure of a system :colbert:

There's got to be plenty of people with autism who would work on the cheap doing this exact thing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

There's got to be plenty of people with autism who would work on the cheap doing this exact thing.

Work for cheap? They'd probably pay a monthly subscription to do it.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
Guys! I think I saw the plane. It looked similar at least. It was over the west Atlanta area. Can anyone confirm?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Work for cheap? They'd probably pay a monthly subscription to do it.

in bitcoin

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I saw an airplane go by in my backyard and I was like what if that's the plane, lol.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ex-CEO of Malaysia Airlines on the pilot and co-pilot and why the pilots are not to be blamed: "I knew them. They were good Muslims!"

Apparently he's not familiar with the demonization.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!

Zogo posted:

They were good Muslims!
lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Evil_Greven posted:

As far as I'm aware, it might be buried in archives somewhere as to where this part was fitted. There are a lot of planes, and a lot of parts on each plane, though. I'm not certain that they are in an easily searchable database, though... could just be in paperwork somewhere

As long as the maintenance records were well-kept, if parts were replaced, it should theoretically be possible to track it down.

You can see where the points of failure for this system are - while it's theoretically possible, it'd be a bitch to do and not necessarily doable. Some tech crew somewhere might have hosed up. This isn't a U.S. airline, either, so who knows what their record keeping is like.

The airline would most likely rely on Boeing, which would have a database with part numbers for each airframe. Also Malaysian airlines isn't a central/south American fly-by-night operation that uses old DC-10's that are a week past their expiration date either. They are a reputable airline with a very modern fleet and in their 41 year history have only had 6 incidents, none of which were due to poor maintenance, only three (this one included) involving fatalities, one of which was due to terrorists.

It's pretty amazing how the media has been bending over backwards trying to somehow fault the airline or the captain, when we know absolutely nothing so far.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ILL ON PZONES posted:

john lennon

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Apparently the government came out today and said they have a bunch of information but it can't be released to the public.
Oh. Cool. Because WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY ANYTHING?

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

Big Beef City posted:

Apparently the government came out today and said they have a bunch of information but it can't be released to the public.
Oh. Cool. Because WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY ANYTHING?

Have you been living under a rock, Ted Turner sold CNN to Malaysia last year for lifetime unlimited trips on Malaysian Airlines.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

brylcreem posted:

We already know it was jizz on the controls though

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Boeing Engineer: "We never expected jizz"

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
thick as goop, never droop-- thin like skim, your electronics it's in. ths is a popular saying

i hope they got the thick jizz

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its gone guys.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Chinatown posted:

The plane flew to Crimea guys.

Chinatown posted:

Its gone guys.

Chinatown posted:

Hahah this plane is loving GONE guys.

Chinatown posted:

Its gone guys.

Chinatown posted:

Guys, its gone.

Chinatown posted:

Its gone guys.

Chinatown posted:

Guys, its gone.

Chinatown posted:

Its gone. Really.

Chinatown posted:

Its gone, guys.

Chinatown posted:

Its gone guys.

nah idk

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Perhaps the plane was hijacked.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Are you saying the plane is in Chinatown?

Stop the press!

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
So'd they find them chinamen yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The search area has shifted north, now directly west of Perth.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/search-area-flight-370-shifted-700-miles/story?id=23094190

• Locked thread