Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

SevenStringGuru posted:

Sinister DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16:33:22 new WR improved 3.5 seconds!!!!!!!

edit: image of awesomeness

Hippo played relatively nice, Soda played relatively nice, drat good Honda 2 and Don 2, Macho played relatively nice, and a decent Tyson.

Did he say he's done with it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlueArmyMan posted:

Hippo played relatively nice, Soda played relatively nice, drat good Honda 2 and Don 2, Macho played relatively nice, and a decent Tyson.

Did he say he's done with it now?

He said he was gonna take a break from it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dr. Dos posted:

I think this is also something that must be a pain for AGDQ to juggle. You can put up a 90 minute block of time and play all three of those games in it and have room for plenty of others, or you can do these longer more drawn out runs.

That's why the dualstream gamble was taken for the upcoming ESA2014, to get people something to watch, always. It will work out, there's cool poo poo planned for the second (we do need some Yoshis Cookie competitors though), AGDQs got infinitely more time and money than ESA has for planning and preparation and it would be a waste to not copy what is coming late in July.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

MST was the best OoT category to run/watch and it's a shame it died.

I agree with this. Any% is cool from a game-breaking standpoint, but routing and executing on a longer run is more fun to watch. Lose some time here, make up some time there, but you gotta keep it going consistently throughout. It's only 2h30m too which is pretty tame.

I'd love to see some runners pick it back up after getting a solid WR/PB in any%.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
any% is cool the first time you watch a run

it's probably one of the most boring lovely categories in any popular game (16 star is also poop garbage but at least it's a good intro category to the good ones)

if you're watching cosmo run any% you're probably watching for cosmo instead of the game like everyone else who watches cosmo hth

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I mean, I helped out when wrong warping was first discovered, and decompiled some of the MIPS code to figure out how the cutscenes and entrace values worked.

That was a really exciting time in the #zelda IRC channel, with tons of people testing theories and trying all possible combinations over three or four days. And since it was discovered in February of 2011 right after Cosmo's great MST run, I waited an entire year to see it shown off at AGDQ2012. It was worth the wait. That 30 minute video of Cosmo explaining any% is basically my intro video to anyone new to speedrunning. It's such a good performance, and I can watch it now and have most of the same enthusiasm that I did back when it was live.

I guess the reason I'm a bit disappointed is because a lot of the fun new tech discoveries really won't ever be in a run. MST is set in stone. any% pretty much has the same route it did a few years ago.

Any Item on Child B Button is really cool stuff, and it shows how much we know about the Z64 engine. But the only way it will ever be used is in a Puzzle Race.

And Puzzle Races are really fun to play through for people like me, but it's hard to build a wide audience around it.

Hm. I wonder if there's some way that Bingo Races could be done at a marathon... Bingo has always been a really fun category for both watching and playing, and you can show off some weirder tricks and give runners an opportunity to think on their feet. Though with the random element, it could flat out bomb.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Is there a good up to date guide for streaming on Twitch from a Mac anywhere?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

afaik they stopped supporting FMLE which was the free option. I think you need 600 dollar software now.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Tracula posted:

With the new X-ray visor major skip in Super Metroid I sorta worry that runs of it may turn into that as well since a significant amount of that run is just a disco party now.
I've been watching fewer streams in the last week to two weeks but it seemed like Zoast and Ivan stopped bothering doing that category already. When they wanted fast runs they would go for the GT code route instead. Don't know what you think about that route but I like it better than watching the disco party.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Link to the X-Ray skip?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

iPodschun posted:

I've been watching fewer streams in the last week to two weeks but it seemed like Zoast and Ivan stopped bothering doing that category already. When they wanted fast runs they would go for the GT code route instead. Don't know what you think about that route but I like it better than watching the disco party.

What's the GT code route? I've never heard of that.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Kind of speedrun related-if you missed out on AGDQ2014 shirts Yetee just added them back in their shop :3:

http://theyetee.com/shop/

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

As one of what feels like three Mac streamers, I can safely say that, no, there is definitely not.

Twitch no longer accepts a variable bitrate, so you can't use FMLE anymore.

CamTwist is the best free option at the moment. You can use CocoaSplit instead of FMLE to ingest your video to Twitch.

Wirecast is great, if a bit bloated, but it's really a production tool that just happens to do RTMP. The license cost reflects this too.

Audio Hijack Pro / Soundflower are your best bet for audio routing.

There's a Mac thread over on SDA you could poke at too. I know Nate whipped up some basic streaming software called Kumari that would work, but I'm not familiar with it. Mac support in OBS is coming as part of their rewrite (here), but a useable release is a couple of months off at least.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That MST run from one of the GDQs is fantastic, and possibly the best crazy glitches to time ratio.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Tracula posted:

What's the GT code route? I've never heard of that.
If you hold a combination of buttons going into the Golden Torizo room in Lower Norfair, it gives you a bunch of stuff and access to the SpaceTime Beam which lets you break the game in various ways. A way was found to trigger the escape sequence early using the SpaceTime Beam. Here's Zoast's run of it: http://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/c/3901024

Phone posted:

Link to the X-Ray skip?
It uses the Speed Booster and X-Ray Scope to skip the gold statue and get into Tourian early. Ivan's run: http://www.twitch.tv/ivan/c/3801103

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

SeXReX posted:

I hope pie does another stupid long blind single sitting lets play stream. He might not be the best speedruner, and says a lot of really dumb stuff sometimes, but when he knuckles down for 16+ hours to not have fun playing a game something about it all just keeps me coming back.
I was hooked from the Super Mario RPG absolute low level run where you have to use the lucky egg on every boss, and reset if you don't get the 1 out of 3 no exp bonus :allears:. God help him if someone talks him into doing that for the Demon Rush.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Sockfolder (SOTN total controller) is currently doing things to Oracle of Ages. Anything can happen, and it probably will.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
My eyes just sort of glazed over when watching this for a few minutes. What's going on exactly in laymans terms?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon/c/3959482

Highlight of Sin's new WR.

Sounded like he held his breath for the entire tyson fight. :v:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hm. I wonder if there's some way that Bingo Races could be done at a marathon... Bingo has always been a really fun category for both watching and playing, and you can show off some weirder tricks and give runners an opportunity to think on their feet. Though with the random element, it could flat out bomb.

I would absolutely love to see some kind of a Bingo Race at a GDQ, or any Marathon for that matter. I think if you wanted to, you could plan out a Bingo Card that had options and was interesting and just keep it secret.

I do know that getting multiple games up on stream simultaneously can be a bit of a hassle though

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Streaming it wouldn't be the hard part. Keeping people who only watch speed runs during those events from leaving out of pure confusion us why the idea gets shot down every time it's brought up.

Even as someone who knows what's going on it can be really hard to determine who is in the lead sometimes right up until the end, which would make it really really boring for the casual viewer.

Oh yeah and displaying the score board/ bingo card for multiple people would be a night mare.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only way I can think of bingo working in if it were OOT Saturday night bingo and it was Cosmo running against the usual group of guys who do Saturday night bingo. No multicams or anything, just have the stream be GDQ participating in a normal bingo session with someone who can explain what bingo is.

That said, it's not going to top the 4 way SM race. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SeXReX posted:

Streaming it wouldn't be the hard part. Keeping people who only watch speed runs during those events from leaving out of pure confusion us why the idea gets shot down every time it's brought up.

Even as someone who knows what's going on it can be really hard to determine who is in the lead sometimes right up until the end, which would make it really really boring for the casual viewer.

Oh yeah and displaying the score board/ bingo card for multiple people would be a night mare.

I wonder if trying it out with a much simpler game for 20m at SGDQ or so might be a way to gauge reaction. SM64 bingo would be a lot easier to understand for the casual viewer. And SM64 bingo doesn't take too long, especially on an easy/normal choice of cards, so even if it bombs, oh well, 20m down the drain. Not that big a loss.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Phone posted:

The only way I can think of bingo working in if it were OOT Saturday night bingo and it was Cosmo running against the usual group of guys who do Saturday night bingo. No multicams or anything, just have the stream be GDQ participating in a normal bingo session with someone who can explain what bingo is.

That said, it's not going to top the 4 way SM race. :colbert:

uhhhh bonus stream YoCo is the greatest thing to ever happen at a GDQ please.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yoshis Cookie was a game that I got with my Super Nintendo as a kid. I've played and seen enough Yoshis Cookie to last me a lifetime.

Also, I streamed it a month ago when trying to get the deinterlacer to work on Amarec. :v:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Phone posted:

Yoshis Cookie was a game that I got with my Super Nintendo as a kid. I've played and seen enough Yoshis Cookie to last me a lifetime.

Also, I streamed it a month ago when trying to get the deinterlacer to work on Amarec. :v:

Casual yoco and pro yoco are on whole other levels man. how many times have YOU done full clear combos?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I take your question and throw it back at you: How many times have you played Glover?

Sick nasty 360 no scope

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Phone posted:

I take your question and throw it back at you: How many times have you played Glover?

Sick nasty 360 no scope

Once for like 3 minutes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I can't fault you there.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

glover is an epic meme

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

heeheex2 posted:

glover is an epic meme

le glove is love

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You guys have similar names so I got confused. Too many Es and Xs.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
But only one of them has a red title about glover.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Dr. Dos posted:

But only one of them has a red title about glover.

It's easy to tell in this world who gloves and who loves.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

iPodschun posted:

If you hold a combination of buttons going into the Golden Torizo room in Lower Norfair, it gives you a bunch of stuff and access to the SpaceTime Beam which lets you break the game in various ways. A way was found to trigger the escape sequence early using the SpaceTime Beam. Here's Zoast's run of it: http://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/c/3901024

Oh wow that's awesome. I have no drat clue what was happening in the second half at all but none the less I find stuff like that pretty interesting.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Nero just crushed the Mega Man X2 any% WR. 33:23. Previous WR was 33:37

http://www.twitch.tv/nero_x3/b/514938822

Social Media fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 28, 2014

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

He was so happy, I don't think i've ever heard anyone that happy about pbing :3:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Social Media posted:

Nero just crushed the Mega Man X2 any% WR. 33:23. Previous WR was 33:37

http://www.twitch.tv/nero_x3/b/514938822

Never been a fan of Megaman X speedrunning but this looks great so far. Does this guy stream on SRL?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Runnerguy (I think) did OoT bingo at the AGDQ bonus stream last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

squirting mastery posted:

Never been a fan of Megaman X speedrunning but this looks great so far. Does this guy stream on SRL?

I don't think so. He doesn't race at all and rarely streams.

• Locked thread