Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

GraPar posted:

Yeah, I love it when Mike just drops in a little joke, mostly because it's usually out of nowhere and still read in his usual dry but addictively listenable style.

I just got past the Spartacus episode in my re-listen. It's still funny when he goes into a biography of Kirk Douglas and then just dryly says "oh wait, wrong Spartacus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I guess it's just me, but those jokes usually, not always, but usually fall really flat to me. To each his own.

As a side note holy poo poo Kirk Douglas is still alive?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

When Mike drops a joke it is usually adorable. I will never use that word to describe anything Dan does.

They are as others have noted both wonderful to listen to.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Damo posted:

As a side note holy poo poo Kirk Douglas is still alive?

He'll outlive his son. He'll outlive us all.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The only Mike Duncan jokes I don't super care for are when he feels the need to make a Star Trek or Babylon Five or similar comparison. "Nerd reference!" seems always kind of dumb.

Has he said what revolutions he intends to cover? The French one is going to probably be great; I look forward to seeing if he follows its entire extent through to Napoleon's usurpation, especially if he talks about General Dumas :allears: He was cool as hell. It'd be interesting to see if he tries tackling some of the more peculiar "revolutions", like the brief one in the 1860s.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 7, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Based on his One Year Later update image, I'd say French and Mexican Revolutions are definitely on the list.

Beyond those, you've got Mao's Communist Revolution, the Russian Revolution, and the Haitian Revolution right off the top of my head.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been binging on the In Our Time podcasts and I love them.

I'm taking a break from them to listen to the Guns of August on audiobook though.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Thwomp posted:

Based on his One Year Later update image, I'd say French and Mexican Revolutions are definitely on the list.

Beyond those, you've got Mao's Communist Revolution, the Russian Revolution, and the Haitian Revolution right off the top of my head.

Yeah, he's definitely not going to be hurting for content, there's enough there to dwarf the content from THOR

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Drafters of the Declaration of Independence, per Mike Duncan:

- John Adams
- Benjamin Franklin
- Guy number 3
- Guy number 4
- Thomas Jefferson.

The mission meeting Howe to discuss possible peace terms in 1776:

- Ben Franklin
- Thomas Jefferson
- A third guy.

:v:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
In Our Time drives me insane with its "30 minutes of drawn up build up, wait we forgot to get to the core topic, rush that poo poo out". I dunno if its just a matter of historian cat herding issues over lack of cooperative planning. Or editing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zorak posted:

In Our Time drives me insane with its "30 minutes of drawn up build up, wait we forgot to get to the core topic, rush that poo poo out". I dunno if its just a matter of historian cat herding issues over lack of cooperative planning. Or editing.

This literally always happens when its a biographical episode. The historians go into it talking about the broad political and social movements of the persons day for the first half, then they get whipped into covering the guys life in a few minutes. This is really frustrating sometimes because they'll start in on an interesting anecdote about them, but Bragg will cut them off.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zorak posted:

Has he said what revolutions he intends to cover? The French one is going to probably be great; I look forward to seeing if he follows its entire extent through to Napoleon's usurpation, especially if he talks about General Dumas :allears: He was cool as hell. It'd be interesting to see if he tries tackling some of the more peculiar "revolutions", like the brief one in the 1860s.

Mike Duncan's AMA on the topic posted:

I'm still working on the final list, but I'm sure to cover: English, American, French, Haitian, 1848, Mexican, Russian, Chinese, Cuban.

This happened nine months ago, so he may internally have a more finalized list by now, but this is at least a straight answer on the subject.

edit: The Irish Revolution is apparently on the shortlist as of this AMA too.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 19, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

This literally always happens when its a biographical episode. The historians go into it talking about the broad political and social movements of the persons day for the first half, then they get whipped into covering the guys life in a few minutes. This is really frustrating sometimes because they'll start in on an interesting anecdote about them, but Bragg will cut them off.

The other frustrating thing that happens a lot is when the historians feel the need to diverge on extremely minor details / qualms that are immaterial and just waste minutes on things that don't matter. It's like "great, thanks for clarifying your personal opinion on minor detail #349, it only took you 1/20 of the entire program"

If it weren't for the sheer volume of topics :argh:

AzraelNewtype posted:

This happened nine months ago, so he may internally have a more finalized list by now, but this is at least a straight answer on the subject.

edit: The Irish Revolution is apparently on the shortlist as of this AMA too.

Cool, it's about what I expected. Not surprised he isn't touching more modern (and hence contentious) revolutions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's not the fault of the editing as they record it live. It's just impossible to get historians to be concise.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's not the fault of the editing as they record it live. It's just impossible to get historians to be concise.

I realize, I was saying "well maybe attempting to get a bunch of historians to assemble a structure from thin air without a degree of post editing is going to result in this, maybe they should edit."[/i]

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone else find the intro to Radiolab to be loving unbearable?

It was sort of cute the first time, but man does it start to grate on you fast.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I find it slightly nauseating.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Zorak posted:

I realize, I was saying "well maybe attempting to get a bunch of historians to assemble a structure from thin air without a degree of post editing is going to result in this, maybe they should edit."[/i]

A panic-stricken Bragg desperately trying to force a historian to cover 100 years in 4 minutes under threat of pushing into Women's Hour's slot is the best part of IOT and I won't let you take it from me.
I don't know why so many radio programmes aren't pre-taped. It's not like it matters at all. I guess it's just how things are done.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't know why so many radio programmes aren't pre-taped. It's not like it matters at all. I guess it's just how things are done.
With some (e.g. Kermode & Mayo's Film Reviews, which likely doesn't fall under this thread's remit), it's due to audience participation. I imagine that programmes like IOT came after the establishment of other radio, and it just became the way things are done at the BBC. It's likely cheaper to do it this way than to record 1-2 hours of IOT and then cut it down to forty-five minutes, but one should also consider that the editors probably aren't historians and thus might cut important details.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

If you pretaped it, then you would have to have some sort of plan and trying to get several different historians to coordinate and plan something like that together is not going to happen.

Hunchie
Jul 28, 2006
Is there any good health related podcast, tired ABC's health report ABC's health report but I didn't really like the format.
Also while spruking ABC podcast as some one who's never studied philosophy I find the The Philosophers Zone really informative easy enough to follow most of the time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like the BBC's Inside Health podcast. While of course it's very UK-centric it should be general enough for anyone. In its off-season it switches over to All In the Mind, it's mental-health focused sister-show.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Am I the only one who thinks that Dan Carlin's obsession with giving nukes to the small eastern European countries is kinda weird?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Dan's giving away nukes?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Popelmon posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Dan Carlin's obsession with giving nukes to the small eastern European countries is kinda weird?

I haven't listened to the latest common sense but was this part of a boxing analogy?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Hunchie posted:

Is there any good health related podcast, tired ABC's health report ABC's health report but I didn't really like the format.
Also while spruking ABC podcast as some one who's never studied philosophy I find the The Philosophers Zone really informative easy enough to follow most of the time.

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Sawbones is a husband and wife team talking about the history of obsolete medical practices. It's both funny and educational.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Dan suggested giving control over a single nuke to two countries, so that both countries would have to turn the key so to speak, which would provide a measure of deterrance to the russians invading. For example, giving a single bomb between two baltic nations.

His idea was that Americans don't give a poo poo about Latvia and countries like that, since we have no skin in the game. Even if they have Article 5 NATO protection, he said we would never start WW3 to protect them from the Russians. So, giving groups of countries single nukes for deterrence was his idea.

He revised his theory last episode, I forgot what he said though. Something about Sweden controlling it or some poo poo.

Crazy or not it's not exactly any more crazy than NATO handing article 5 protections out like candy when everyone knows the American people aren't gonna want to start WW3 over some country they have never heard of.

Also, these were the first few Common Sense podcasts I've checked out, and I rather like them. Even if I don't necessarily agree with his Politics 100% of the time, I appreciate the great historical backgrounds he uses to explain poo poo. He always gives great historical context to stuff.

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 25, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How is NATO handing out Article 5 protections? If you're a member of NATO and you're attacked, NATO's got your back. Without Article 5 what's even the point of NATO?

It doesn't matter which NATO country is involved, failing to honor Article 5 means the end of NATO which is destabilizing as poo poo and makes war with Russia the preferred option for all of NATO. Thinking that the US is going to give up all of NATO just because it's populous doesn't care about Latvian people is silly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah having countries join NATO so that they can't be threatened by Russia (or any other hypothetical expansionist power) is precisely the point. Part of the reason behind the Ossetian conflict was giving Ukraine a warning over getting to cozy with the West, and it's arguable that Putin made his move on Ukraine recently because it might have been his last chance before Ukraine became as off-limits as the Baltic states.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought his whole nuke analogy/idea was more of a thought experiment than a literal plan of action. As is, giving everybody the means of destroying the world does, on paper, make some semblance of sense based on the concept of deterrence, but I think there's a lot of...flaws to the notion, to say the least. Too many variables that you can't really count on.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone here tried You Are Not So Smart? I've gone through a few episodes now, and I have mixed feelings. I like the interviews and intros, but I'm not too fond of the back-end in which the host eats a cookie on air. Also there seems to be frequent sound problems with the recordings. I had to give up on the common sense one because I couldn't hear the dialog at all on the bus.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Drunkboxer posted:

Has anyone here tried You Are Not So Smart? I've gone through a few episodes now, and I have mixed feelings. I like the interviews and intros, but I'm not too fond of the back-end in which the host eats a cookie on air. Also there seems to be frequent sound problems with the recordings. I had to give up on the common sense one because I couldn't hear the dialog at all on the bus.

I listen to and enjoy the podcast but you're pretty much spot on with some of the criticisms.

The host is generally pretty good and easy to listen to -- he has good cadence and sounds practiced without being over-rehearsed. The podcast picture of a smug looking jerkoff combined with the title had me fearing the worst, but he generally comes at things from a pretty reasonable place and isn't smarmy at all. I enjoy the guests he has on and the topics are usually pretty interesting. The length is pretty good -- long enough to get in depth, but not so long as to get boring.

That all said, do yourself a favour and fast-forward through every cookie segment. Once you've heard one you've heard them all -- he whips out his thesaurus and pointlessly waxes rhapsodic for a few minutes. How anyone is supposed to enjoy listening to another man orgasm over some cookie he just ate is beyond me. At least he doesn't actually eat into the microphone anymore. It's a perfect opportunity for a couple of presses of Downcast's 2 minute advance feature. The sound during some of his earlier interviews can be bad, though I think the common sense one you mentioned is as bad as it gets. Later interviews generally sound better.

It's a good podcast, stick with it. Just fast forward through the cookie segments.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought the first guy was just being silly when he mentioned a cookie eating segment on an audio podcast. What the hell does that mean? Is it really that literal?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Ariza posted:

I thought the first guy was just being silly when he mentioned a cookie eating segment on an audio podcast. What the hell does that mean? Is it really that literal?

Yup. Listeners submit cookie recipes and his wife makes them. He eats one on mic and describes how it tastes. If he uses a recipe the submitter gets a copy of one of his books. Why? Who knows. It's exactly as entertaining as it sounds.

The rest of the cast is actually good and not as silly/dumb as that segment implies, really.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Popelmon posted:

I've pretty intentionally avoided listening to Common Sense because I'm worried his political views will ruin what is by far and away the best historical podcast.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

sweetroy posted:

I've pretty intentionally avoided listening to Common Sense because I'm worried his political views will ruin what is by far and away the best historical podcast.

His views spill over into his history podcast all of the time. Its sometimes hard to see past his huge war boner and your own frustration for him to actually start talking about the topic at hand.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

His views spill over into his history podcast all of the time. Its sometimes hard to see past his huge war boner and your own frustration for him to actually start talking about the topic at hand.

Speaking about his war boner I was surprised to hear him come down so hard on Theodore Roosevelt. "Racist peter pan" is such a reductive and frankly misleading a description of a complicated political figure like TR. Also all the stuff about his navel policy causing so much damage, you'd think he would have praised him for making the right strategic moves preparing for the 20th century. He sort of just brushed off twitter criticisms by saying he like his environmental policies, which is a big duck considering he labeled him as a damaging warlord/racist.

Not that I didn't like that episode, I could listen to him ramble on that period forever frankly. He's good enough at what he does to make me like disagreeing with him.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Drunkboxer posted:

Not that I didn't like that episode, I could listen to him ramble on that period forever frankly. He's good enough at what he does to make me like disagreeing with him.
This is what anyone scared of listening to Common Sense should know; even when you're disagreeing with him it's still enjoyable. I've been shaking my head at his last few Russia discussions on there but it's still an interesting point of view, and he never feels like he's talking down at you.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
It's ok. He says "listen up folks" enough that you know he's a crazy conspiracy nut that shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm 100% positive he believes in Bigfoot and ancient aliens. But he does decent historical research and has a well trained audio delivery.

Oh, and his summary of Teddy is spot on. I'd go further and say Teddy's conservation initiatives were poo poo because he only did them so he could do more trophy hunting at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

rypakal posted:

It's ok. He says "listen up folks" enough that you know he's a crazy conspiracy nut that shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm 100% positive he believes in Bigfoot and ancient aliens. But he does decent historical research and has a well trained audio delivery.

Oh, and his summary of Teddy is spot on. I'd go further and say Teddy's conservation initiatives were poo poo because he only did them so he could do more trophy hunting at home.

Dan Carlin believes in Bigfoot. Dan Carlin believes in Teddy Roosevelt.

Teddy Roosevelt is Bigfoot.