Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Feenix posted:

I'm enjoying Boom Beach so far... But it's really slim on explanation. I added an Armory which just says "reinforces troops" but now that it's built I'm still left unclear about the benefit.

The gun boat mechanic is kinda cool, and I love that I can use flares to redirect the dumb troops. But the game does feel a bit bare, and I'm not sure why it was released like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I found out I was being a little dumb. There's a magnifying glass AND an "i" (for info) when you tap the Armory.

That said, there's still a ton I wish I knew.

What happens when you get attacked? I was attacked last night while I slept. The replay show they failed and retreated. They did destroy SOME of my stuff. However this morning it was all there good as new.

I attacked my first person today. Higher level than me. Just barely won. I wonder if you win, does everything stay destroyed? That would suck to start from scratch. (I mean, could you even? I can see circumstances where you'd be locked out if your resources or gold were too low.)

Also, if things *ARE* destroyed, do you also have to re-upgrade them?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm actually waiting to play this when it releases on iPad. Magic on the iPad is a much better fit than Magic on PC and I imagine this will be similar.

I just gave it a shot on the PC a couple days ago and it's already fantastic. The iPad release is going to be amazing.

Even better an iPhone version is in the works and they're aiming to have it out before the end of the year.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Feenix posted:

I found out I was being a little dumb. There's a magnifying glass AND an "i" (for info) when you tap the Armory.

That said, there's still a ton I wish I knew.

What happens when you get attacked? I was attacked last night while I slept. The replay show they failed and retreated. They did destroy SOME of my stuff. However this morning it was all there good as new.

I attacked my first person today. Higher level than me. Just barely won. I wonder if you win, does everything stay destroyed? That would suck to start from scratch. (I mean, could you even? I can see circumstances where you'd be locked out if your resources or gold were too low.)

Also, if things *ARE* destroyed, do you also have to re-upgrade them?

Stuff that is destroyed is magically repaired. They kind of assume you played Clash of Clans with the tutorial and no one pointed it out because everyone in beta played CoC. You lose everything not protected if they destroy your HQ, which is the same as NPCs, which I think is explained in the tutorial for attacking NPCs. Upgrade your vault to protect more stuff. Always upgrade your HQ as soon as possible since the PvP matches are based on medals and not your HQ level, and your HQ level doesn't prevent you from getting more stuff. In CoC you're stuff was protected by the attacking person's HQ level compared to yours so upgrading that was done last there, and throws most people off.

Just upgrade everything you can for XP then upgrade your HQ and keep going. I recommend upgrade Armory, Vault, boats, and storage as needed, fill in with weapons for any XP you still need. Most people are playing in like CoC and upgrading their weapons first for defense and ignoring the vault for the most part. Protecting 50% of your stuff is a TON better then protecting only 20%. Defense weapons are easy to take out with bombs, you are better off with several low level ones then 1 big one. In CoC a few big weapons will cause people to skip you, you can't really skip in boom beach unless you have had them on your map for 2 days.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In Cardinal Quest 2 I take it you can only have one type of item at a time? (ie. weapon, armor, boots, helmet, etc...)

So if I pick up a weapon the other weapon I had is immediately trashed?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

theblackw0lf posted:

In Cardinal Quest 2 I take it you can only have one type of item at a time? (ie. weapon, armor, boots, helmet, etc...)

This is correct.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

If the weapon has comparable or different stats you are given a choice to either sell it or equip it and sell the old weapon. Weapons that are the exact same as your current weapon or worse are instantly sold. You can not save equipment for later.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

theblackw0lf posted:

Yup, but you get gold instantly for salvaging/selling whatever you elected not to keep. Spells, however, are dropped on the ground when you replace them & can be picked back up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FTL is coming on April 3rd:

http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=688

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Did anyone try out the new kairosoft cruise story game?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hot sauce. I love that game, and I think it'll potentially play SO much better on an iPad, moving your guys around and adjusting power levels and targeting weapons and all that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I doubt it'll play better, especially if you got really used to the hotkeys, but it'll be nice to have FTL in a more portable format.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On an impulse I bought a game called Sometimes You Die in the app store and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm really tolerant of artsy, indie games but this one is pretty eyerollingly up it's own rear end and it's also extremely short. Still, despite this there is one thing it does that I won't spoil that I found genuinely interesting and prevented me from writing the game off completely as a waste of money.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Finally! Half the fun will be reading the posts on itunes and in this thread of people agonizing over a 10$ game that is worth twice that.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Did anyone try out the new kairosoft cruise story game?

It was fun. It's like any other kairosoft game: buy all the items all the time, dump them into a few shops, build only those shops. It makes me laugh there's a whole thread for kairosoft games. If you want another good numbers go up game, this is one.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In Cardinal Quest 2, what does speed effect?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

In Cardinal Quest 2, what does speed effect?

Based on my understand every action takes a certain amount of time (you can track the current time somewhere on the UI I forget exactly where) and your speed lowers that value, what this means in practice is that you can do more things than the monsters or they can do more things than you based on their speed.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

LeFishy posted:

Based on my understand every action takes a certain amount of time (you can track the current time somewhere on the UI I forget exactly where) and your speed lowers that value, what this means in practice is that you can do more things than the monsters or they can do more things than you based on their speed.
Basically this: having high speed means you get extra turns. If you're faster than a monster, and it runs away from you, you can eventually catch it. If you're a lot faster you'll catch it a lot faster.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

LeFishy posted:

The short version: having a high speed stat means that sometimes you get a free turn if it is higher than the monsters. Conversely, if it is low, sometimes monsters will get two moves to your one, so be careful about trading all of it in fo other stats.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
There's a new Autumn Dynasty game out that looks like an iOS version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Has anyone tried it? Reviews indicate that the economics and city building aspects aren't terribly deep or well executed, but I'd like a goon opinion on that.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Shattered Planet is out.

Also the Carmageddon port is free again.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Shattered planet is quite fun and very, very addictive.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Io_burn you posted a cogent response to a rather offhand and abrasive comment I posted about reviews and I apologize, I haven’t had the much time to type at a keyboard to respond properly.

Helical Nightmares posted:

If I may be serious here for the moment.

Here is the thing io_burn. I don't go to your site for what I consider reviews that are relevant to my purchasing choices. I go to Pocket Tactics. Granted, Pocket Tactics has chosen to focus on a specific (niche) mindset when reviewing iOS games, but close to 80% of the games they give a high numerical rating for I agree with and they are must buys for me.

You both have a numerical rating system. Why [in this forum] are their choices considered more on the mark than yours?

Io_burn posted:

Because the people who post here are more hardcore gamer types and sites like Pocket Tactics are focused specifically to your interests, so of course the things posted there are going to line up with what you like more accurately. It's like any kind of critic, you need to find one who shares your taste and chances are you'll agree with their assessments. Just because we're casting a wider net and write things from a bit more casual perspective doesn't make our ratings wrong.

Pocket Tactics doesn't touch most of the things we post about, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks and all. TouchArcade is largely written for the person who has an iPhone who likes video games, we cater to a more mass market audience and both the coverage and overall tone purposefully reflects that. Historically, when we post about things that are big on Pocket Tactics, they'll get next to no traction with our readers... So I'm not sure how much sense it makes to tune our reviews angle specifically to the hardcore crowd.

I personally am firmly in the ‘hardcore gamer’ demographic purely based on my age. I will quibble with your statement that the majority of the readers of the ios games thread are ‘hardcore gamers’, based on the attention ‘casual’ games like Rage of Bahamut and Clash of Clans/Simpsons Tapped Out have gotten on this forum, but you analyze ios game consumers much more than I do and you may well be right.

I do think posters in this thread (and in this forum in general) are much more willing to read to get their information than the average consumer you are encountering however. Kenny Logins mentioned he has no patience for video reviews. I am the same way. In fact I prefer to read transcripts of news programs or the State of the Union because that is a faster method to extract information. I would suggest it is possible that this might explain a difference in the preference for review site. However, I may be totally off the mark.
I understand Touch Arcade takes on the mass market audience (and is successful in that, kudos) but I still feel that in game review tiers that there could be some distinction between the top rated ‘addictive fun game’ (Threes), the paragon of a particular genre (Angry Birds Star Wars 2/Infinity Blade 3/Junk Jack X), and a game that pushes the envelope of gaming; one which has novel mechanics or is the first of a new genre that not everyone may like but is praise worthy based on its sheer novelty (Device 6).

Famitsu and some game reviewers make the distinction between ‘fun’ and ‘novel’ by only giving the coveted five star (or maximum) rating to games in the latter category.

If that is the case you have to depend on the consumer to recognize that five stars only indicates that the product is unique, and everything from … say four stars and up is still very much worth purchasing.
Since the consumers you deal with are less interested in reading reviews than stats, perhaps adding a symbol that indicates “this game is unique” or “this game has a few bugs but still is worth your time” to go along with the 1-5 rating could broaden your consumer base, capturing the more ‘hardcore’ gamers here along with the ‘casual’ audience you already have.

I suggest these things, not that you or anyone else should do them, but simply as a theoretical solution to a theoretical problem. I haven’t seen any gaming review site (or any review site for that matter) use such a rating system and there is probably a reason why.

quote:

The traffic growth largely has come from expanding our free to play game coverage, with those stupid guides on how to play the games without spending real money doing exponentially better than "good" game reviews in literally every metric you can measure web traffic in especially in overall unique page views and bounce rates. It's like people search Google for "clash of clans guide" or something, discover TouchArcade, and stick around. It's good from a business sense, I suppose, but at the same time pretty sad that I can spend days working on really cool feature content or developer interviews and it gets no traction comparatively. But, how well the guides do allows me to afford writers that are working on things I actually think are cool.

This is an interesting insight on consumer behavior.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not really enjoying shattered planet. Maybe it picks up, but so far it seems really swallow and grindy. And I really hate the blight mechanic. Basically the ground you start on is poisons and spreads fast. You have to rush to check everything near where your start because if you miss the teleporter there, you lose. I'm not sure if juices ever Identify themselves. But they give absolutely no clue what they do.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 28, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm hating how unstable Shattered Planet is. I made it through the intro run, then it crashed on my second one. On the third attempt, it locked up, and when I closed it and re-opened, I was still in the dungeon but my equipment was gone, then it locked up again. I'm on a 4s, which hasn't really had problems with other games.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I'm hating how unstable Shattered Planet is. I made it through the intro run, then it crashed on my second one. On the third attempt, it locked up, and when I closed it and re-opened, I was still in the dungeon but my equipment was gone, then it locked up again. I'm on a 4s, which hasn't really had problems with other games.

Yeah it took me three tries to make it through the tutorial. It hasn't crashed on me since though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing it on an iPad air and have had no problems. I agree that it might be a bit shallow but I sort of expected that for a roguelike, the fun comes from exploring completely new maps every time. No way to save items that I find is a bit annoying though :/

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally won a game of Eclipse.

I really like this game. It took a bit of getting into, but the execution is really quite nice.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.
Happy Birthday to us etc.

It's Strange Flavour Ltd's 10th Birthday next week (April 1st to be exact). We've been writing games as Strange Flavour since 2001 but only officially set up the company to go full time in 2004.

As I'm on a diet there won't be cake, but to celebrate we've added a couple of limited edition liveries to Any Landing that will only be able to be unlocked over this week. Anyone who's bought Wings in the game's shop and unlocked either the cargo plane or passenger jet will get them and if you've not bought any Wings yet, it's also Double Wings week just to tempt you further :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shwqa posted:

I'm not really enjoying shattered planet. Maybe it picks up, but so far it seems really swallow and grindy. And I really hate the blight mechanic. Basically the ground you start on is poisons and spreads fast. You have to rush to check everything near where your start because if you miss the teleporter there, you lose. I'm not sure if juices ever Identify themselves. But they give absolutely no clue what they do.
The blight mechanic is an abstracted hunger mechanic. Unfortunately sometimes the teleporter is really close to your starting point and it sucks. Hunger mechanics are just one of those things about roguelikes and I've seen better and worse. I do think it accomplishes the goal of keeping the game moving but if it had some sort of (optional or difficulty level-related?) automatic prompt (skill or equipment?) that told you "X turns until blight reaches teleporter! You are X steps away from the teleporter!" then it might be a lot better.

Hunger mechanics are better when you are given enough information to have to make the decision to keep on exploring or move on-- so far it's either been that I played it way to safe and came back to the teleporter seemingly way too early, or else I've been too late and would have to cross a bajillion blight squares to get there. Sometimes modern roguelikes are better without them (DoomRL doesn't have one, if I recall properly).

I do think it's a good thing that the cost of upgrading your persistent stats is low to start, and linear in progression so you can get on board with improving subsequent runs. Not sure about crystals and how/when to use them but I like the unlocking reward levels for new terrains, etc. I'm not so sure about how gear retention is supposed to work but at least you're given an assortment of it to start.

The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the design philosophy that initial runs have essentially 0% chance of being successful and that it only becomes feasible after some unknown amount of character progress. Even NetHack could in theory be beaten on the first try by an unspoiled newbie, if only by dumb luck, and every session is in theory winnable. One great thing about Cardinal Quest 2 that I like is that my prior roguelike skills transferred pretty well and I was able to get a lot out of completing and opening up new content on first-time runs at the acts.

The other thing is that I think this is only barely playable on iPhone if only because the map is so tiny. It's not bad but I can't wait to try on my iPad Air later.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 28, 2014

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
On Boom Beach, what do you do when you don't have enough resources to explore any more or build anything, but there is no one to attack?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

concerned mom posted:

On Boom Beach, what do you do when you don't have enough resources to explore any more or build anything, but there is no one to attack?

Wait to collect more stuff. Leave stuff up so you can get resources so it doesn't happen again.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

concerned mom posted:

You will randomly lose the village islands, either to other players, or the AI. You can then fight them for some income.

Also, don't forget to scroll over to your harbor to pick up and resources coming in by boat. I forget those on some logins.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

concerned mom posted:

Curse whoever did their economy modelling for buggering it up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MissMarple posted:

Curse whoever did their economy modelling for buggering it up.

I've never really been resource starves, I'm always maxed on resources and have been playing for about 2 weeks now. You want to constantly expand. I mean you should mess yourself up if you start buildings then use gems to auto finish them.

ALWAYS start a building before using gems, if you do it before you also pay for resources in gems making it about 50% more expensive. When everything takes 4-5 hours starting something letting it build for a few hours rushing it "cheap" with free gems then starting an hour one before going to bed is a massive help.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Further to my previous post on Shattered Planet, a few more observations:

Potions, once used, will then self-identify for the rest of that session. Good effects I've observed and identified so far:
  • instant healing +40 hp
  • increased regeneration rate (+1 or 2 hp per turn for 10 turns)
  • temporarily add shock damage (5?) to melee hits
  • leap forward, most usefully to another bridge/platform (can make you jump off the edge to the next level involuntarily)
  • temporarily boost strength (+10)
  • +2 strength boost for the session (not super obvious but makes a zoom sound)
  • temporarily boost wits (+30)
  • freeze blight spread for 30 turns
  • "random teleport to a visible tile"

Dangerous effects I've seen include:
  • toxic (quaff for 4 turns light -4hp poison, throw for temporary cross-shaped patch that poisons anyone standing on it similarly)
  • firebomb (thrown- temporarily incinerates 5 squares in a cross-pattern, quaffed- scorched "poison" effect for 4 turns)
  • explosive that does damage and dissolves terrain.

It would be really nice if there was a wiki for potions but the general gist seems to be that you should try quaffing them yourself ASAP until you identify the two healing effects and the two stat boost effects, because unknowingly throwing those at enemies will probably gently caress you over.

If you're stuck due to blight, there is always the option to jump off down to the next level (it should indicate how much health you'd lose: early levels I've seen -30). Nice to have as a last resort.

Fate can be increased at least temporarily for the session by random events only. Haven't seen anything that increased it permanently.

You can skip a turn by tapping yourself. Very useful for when an enemy is two squares away as walking to them exposes yourself to a free attack.

Recycling items that you receive/craft gives back a small amount of scrap. A two-star item gave me the option for 8 scrap, for example. You will have the option to accept or cancel.

Until you reach about 18 in Strength or Wits (and equivalent investment into Health) increasing each stat has a similar linear cost. Eventually it does start increasing but dissimilar amounts but at least until then it is probably a good idea to evenly distribute since random events do stat checks against Wits (and apparently Strength?).

At about 18 Strength you will start being able to do enough damage (~15) to one-shot the Crabbit enemies with no equipment, so keep at it.

As a recommendation, once you accumulate a significant amount of crystals you can afford to craft at least the baseline item (5 crystals) for every excursion as your increased survival time will let you accrue at least enough to break even.

e: Added more stuff for potion effects and character improvement.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 31, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Boom Beach Questions:

1) Resource Base: I just took one over. I assume this means this is another outpost to tap on to collect wood and such?

2) Upgrading capacity/levelup on landing boats. It says stuff like +1 person. I realize how that would work out with a platoon of riflemen, but I upgraded a landing boat that housed a Heavy Gunner and didn't get a second gunner. Do I eventually if I level up enough? Is it pointless as all gently caress to level up a landing boat with a heavy gunner on it??

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Feenix posted:

1) Resource Base: I just took one over. I assume this means this is another outpost to tap on to collect wood and such?

It affects the amount of resources the little boats bring when show up at your base. You should also harvest the crap out of the wood on the island when you take it over.

quote:

2) Upgrading capacity/levelup on landing boats. It says stuff like +1 person. I realize how that would work out with a platoon of riflemen, but I upgraded a landing boat that housed a Heavy Gunner and didn't get a second gunner. Do I eventually if I level up enough? Is it pointless as all gently caress to level up a landing boat with a heavy gunner on it??

You just have to level it up enough times to fit 2x 4point guys. I think my boats with 2 tanks on them are level 16 or something.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

devilmouse posted:

It affects the amount of resources the little boats bring when show up at your base. You should also harvest the crap out of the wood on the island when you take it over.

You just have to level it up enough times to fit 2x 4point guys. I think my boats with 2 tanks on them are level 16 or something.

1) You mean pay coins to dig up trees? Ok.

2) Thanks. I will keep leveling I guess?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Feenix posted:

1) You mean pay coins to dig up trees? Ok.

2) Thanks. I will keep leveling I guess?

Yeah - later on, you'll get pinched on wood and if you take over one of those resource islands, you can strip mine its resources before it gets taken back over by someone else.

That's pretty much the game. Keep on levelin'. I try to keep my boat sizes appropriate for the units they carry, so my heavy boat will always be divisible by 4, my warrior boat by 3, my tank boat by 8, etc, instead of spreading out the boat upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Feenix posted:

Boom Beach Questions:

Resource bases will deliver poo poo to your island like the coins on the floaty boats near your troop dock.

A BIG THING ABOUT RESOURCE BASES: Other *players* will attack that base and conquer it. Every time it gets conquered it auto-levels up all the defensive buildings on the base, making it harder and harder to re-conquer.

I've owned one where I didn't farm all the trees and put a rocket launcher in the trees and an attacking player didn't see it, and I wasted him 3 or 4 times before he could figure out how to destroy it.

• Locked thread