Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Arkham Origins Season pass is on sale right now on Steam for $5, does this include the upcoming Mr. Freeze stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would love for the Riddler to have broken down so much over Batman constantly getting the best of him that he turned to actually fighting crime himself, or at least trying to. Kind of like what they did with him a few years back for a brief period where he was using his intellect to assist in solving crimes (or rather, proving people's innocence).

Hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing him actively trying to solve side-missions BEFORE Batman, just so he can prove his superiority while not actually committing any more crimes himself.

AngryBooch posted:

The Arkham Origins Season pass is on sale right now on Steam for $5, does this include the upcoming Mr. Freeze stuff?

I've read multiple things online saying that it does, so it better since that's pretty much the only reason I bought it instead of just getting the Initiation DLC by itself.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AngryBooch posted:

Yes. That would be the "Narrative DLC" part of the pass.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Riddler becomes caught in his own death trap, cannot figure out how to escape. Batman saves him, because Batman.

Riddler walks unnoticed to the police van, cuffs himself, sprays pepper spray into his own eyes, closes van doors behind him, weeps.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm terrifically loving sick of the Riddler. I think over 3 games I've done almost what, 600 Riddler things. I was hoping the side-poo poo would be Hush or anything besides the goddamn Riddler for the 4th time. Does anyone honestly want to keep solving this rear end in a top hat's stuff for a 4th time? How does he keep setting up all this poo poo? Please let me collect or find something, anything, besides question mark trophies. Azrael armor, Phantasm masks, Professor Pyg dollotrons, anything but Riddler trophies.

I am always down for more Riddler stuff, his bits are always my favourite part of the games. Hoping Wally Wingert's back for this game too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Riddler becomes caught in his own death trap, cannot figure out how to escape. Batman saves him, because Batman.

Riddler walks unnoticed to the police van, cuffs himself, sprays pepper spray into his own eyes, closes van doors behind him, weeps.

You joke, but one of the incarnations of the Riddler from the comics basically did this. He wound up permanently reforming in this particular Batman imprint, and went on to help Batman solve crimes! It was the best.

It's unlikely this will be his plot arc in Arkham Knight, since his pattern of behavior has been to become increasingly unhinged and violent, from Edward Snowden to SAW, over the course of the three games so far.

vvvvv This is the new batman adventures comic- as best as I can tell, his reformation stuck around until its cancellation, right when they were teasing the Red Hood
- coincidentally, another character I'd like to see in AK (not the Joker, but as someone else). Knowing that this game will likely end the series makes me think of all the stuff that rocksteady et al. haven't done yet.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 28, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, that's not entirely accurate. Riddler did turn himself back in to Arkham Asylum in that comic as a result of realizing that he was crazy, but a few more comics into that series and he was back to his old habits.

I don't think any of the Batman villains in the DCAU ever truly reformed, save for Ventriloquist.

Then again, Ventriloquist is shown as one of the Arkham Asylum inmates in the Justice Lords universe, which was the same as the main universe until Luthor killed Flash. :ohdear:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think any of the Batman villains in the DCAU ever truly reformed, save for Ventriloquist.
Harley became a disapproving but seemingly benevolent grandmother!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 28, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redbackground posted:

Harley became a disapproving but seemingly benevolent grandmother!

Bane ended up hospitalized and alone on an island where he was left to rot while future generations abused his inventions.

Wait, wait. Mr. Freeze kind of sort of before going on his rampage?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, right.

And come to think of it, Poison Ivy reformed before TNBA. The pale-skinned Poison Ivy was a plant clone, I believe.

Edit: http://imgur.com/gallery/GuVXW

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 28, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, right.

And come to think of it, Poison Ivy reformed before TNBA. The pale-skinned Poison Ivy was a plant clone, I believe.

Edit: http://imgur.com/gallery/GuVXW

Haha that last panel of Isley matter-of-factly getting out a broom and bag makes me think this kind of thing happens to her a lot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of the comics, the DCAU meeting of Batman and Joe Chill makes me wonder if he'll ever show up in the Arkhamverse. They do mention Batman's parents a lot in the series.

I get the feeling that if it does happen, though, it'll like be in a WBM Batman game. Batman doesn't seem as troubled over his parents in the Rocksteady games as he is in Origins.

Said meeting: http://imgur.com/gallery/14UgS

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of the comics, the DCAU meeting of Batman and Joe Chill makes me wonder if he'll ever show up in the Arkhamverse. They do mention Batman's parents a lot in the series.

I get the feeling that if it does happen, though, it'll like be in a WBM Batman game. Batman doesn't seem as troubled over his parents in the Rocksteady games as he is in Origins.

Said meeting: http://imgur.com/gallery/14UgS

Bruce straight up has a dream sequence in Arkham Asylum where we hear a distorted demon voice in place of Joe Chill's. He's not exactly over it. And in the Origins game, he's like just started being Batman, of course the wound is going to be more fresh.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman doesn't seem as troubled over his parents in the Rocksteady games as he is in Origins.

I don't know how you can think that given how every single one of his Scarecrow encounters in Asylum has him tripping balls over his parents' death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not suggesting he doesn't still have issues regarding their death, but he doesn't think about his parents until he's hallucinating from toxin or Joker blood.

In Origins, he has a flashback to his parents' murder after saving the Joker and also takes it really personally when two people get gunned down in Crime Alley near where his parents died.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
In Origins, Batman is really brutal to his enemies compared to Asylum and City. Part of it, I think, is his resentment for not being able to protect his parents when they were gunned down. It also seems like in Knight that he is going to be really brutal and not even hesitate to crack skulls and break bones to the point of torture. I still wince every time Batman does the leg snap on his enemies. Yeesh!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not suggesting he doesn't still have issues regarding their death, but he doesn't think about his parents until he's hallucinating from toxin or Joker blood.

In Origins, he has a flashback to his parents' murder after saving the Joker and also takes it really personally when two people get gunned down in Crime Alley near where his parents died.

In City he goes back to Crime Alley and stops to brood over the place where his parents died (while a Hugo Strange tape mocks him).

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
If you mourn for longer than 60 seconds you get a trophy called "Pay Your Respects" as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Argh, I picked up Origins in the sale. I wanted to wait for the Gold Edition, but $15 for this and the season pass was too good to pass up. I've been following the thread, so I'm pretty certain I'm prepared for it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

catlord posted:

I've been following the thread, so I'm pretty certain I'm prepared for it.

It's not like Origins is difficult, the only part I ever died more than once on was Deathstroke, because gently caress that guy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nah, Deathstroke is cake (unless you're going for the achievement). Bane is a kick in the balls, though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is this game worth $10?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is this game worth $10?

Having played 14 hours by now, yes. Like the thread title says it's the same gameplay but with a different developer. The combat feels tighter somehow but I feel like I've grasped it better than I did in the earlier instalments, for whatever reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Nah, Deathstroke is cake (unless you're going for the achievement). Bane is a kick in the balls, though.

I found the trick with Bane was avoiding the urge to dodge as soon as you see him charge, and to hold on till he's almost on top of you (and avoid getting backed into a corner).

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is this game worth $10?

Absolutely, yes. It's not quite as good as the first two, but it is still pretty drat good and it has moments that surpass the previous two.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excels posted:

It's not like Origins is difficult, the only part I ever died more than once on was Deathstroke, because gently caress that guy.

More prepared as far as bugs and slight timing differences, I mean. The bosses sound mostly simple enough, save for Bane.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

catlord posted:

More prepared as far as bugs and slight timing differences, I mean. The bosses sound mostly simple enough, save for Bane.

A word of caution; If you are swooping in to land on an area that is all fuzzy and not loaded yet, you will fall through the map, which can be really jarring.

Aside from that the game never broke for me, although I had issues right before you enter the Royal where the guards all knew exactly where I was and would all follow my position even when I hid. They really wanted to discourage the player from trying the front door of the hotel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The hotel fight with Bane is definitely the hardest, if only because the Shock Gloves are completely worthless against him. Doing any kind of takedown or combo on Bane instantly depletes them, so there's no easy way to build up your combo.

In terms of boss difficulty, I'd say:

Bane 1st > Deathstroke > Bane 2nd > Deadshot > Firefly > Killer Croc > Copperhead > Bane 3rd > Every side mission boss except Deadshot > Harley Quinn in Arkham Asylum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Electrocutioner

Jerusalem posted:

In City he goes back to Crime Alley and stops to brood over the place where his parents died (while a Hugo Strange tape mocks him).

Hmm, I suppose. I always saw that as him paying his respects since he was there and Crime Alley was within a reasonable distance.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 29, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In terms of boss difficulty, I'd say:

Bane 1st > Deathstroke > Bane 2nd > Deadshot > Firefly > Killer Croc > Copperhead > Bane 3rd > Every side mission boss except Deadshot > Harley Quinn in Arkham Asylum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Electrocutioner

I love when some bosses basically take a few extra punches than a regular mook. Most of them are just normal dudes trying to make a dishonest living, not going toe-to-toe with Batman.

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 29, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excels posted:

A word of caution; If you are swooping in to land on an area that is all fuzzy and not loaded yet, you will fall through the map, which can be really jarring.

Oh, just like my kitchen floor then.

Really what I'm worried about most is the upgrade path poo poo that sounds pretty bad. I really liked how the previous games did it, simple, the only locks being what missions you completed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Really what I'm worried about most is the upgrade path poo poo that sounds pretty bad. I really liked how the previous games did it, simple, the only locks being what missions you completed.

The upgrade path is really poo poo unfortunately. I think the AO hate is a bit overblown but there's no defending the upgrade tree.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

catlord posted:

You'll get most of the essential skills just by playing the game and completing side missions. Which was fine with me, the side missions are pretty fun.

Except the Blackgate prisoner roundup, what the hell was up with that? No purpose whatsoever.

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 29, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

catlord posted:

Use a walkthrough for the predator path. Some of them can only be unlocked in certain story-based maps that can't be re-done in one play-through.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, about ten minutes in and I hit my first bug. In the gas chamber, three guys run in. Two of them stood still and one ran around in a circle and after I beat them up the door wouldn't open. But that's ok, because when I punched it I just phased right through it and went on like nothing happened.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ImpAtom posted:

The upgrade path is really poo poo unfortunately. I think the AO hate is a bit overblown but there's no defending the upgrade tree.
The Dark Knight challenge tree is technically worse because you can kinda lock yourself out of finishing it if you aren't careful (the predator tree esp.) or aren't using a guide.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can someone explain why you need a guide for upgrades, and perhaps link a good one, please.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can someone explain why you need a guide for upgrades, and perhaps link a good one, please.

There are challenges that you have to do to unlock certain upgrades. They must be done in order and certain challenges can only be done in a specific few places of the game.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are challenges that you have to do to unlock certain upgrades. They must be done in order and certain challenges can only be done in a specific few places of the game.

Do you have a list of which these are? I just started the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kanonvandekempen posted:

Do you have a list of which these are? I just started the game.

It's really just the Predator part of the Dark Knight Systems. The other 3 aren't too bad. There's fighting (which is in no short supply), exploring, and gliding.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is the best video guide around.

]This is the best goonmade guide.

There are a couple early challenges (like loud takedowns only, or no detective mode) that will sometimes be received for no clear reason, particularly on a rooftop with melee goons near the entrance to the northern island- take advantage of this bug if you are able. You can and should clear every challenge possible in open world predator areas, so you have the opportunity to clear the predator challenges in the earlier, easier, settings. Setting up the last few challenges with the harder enemy configurations in NG+ is NOT fun.

On a similar note, the best place to get the final tier of the combat challenges is in the steel mill, with a crane overhead. If you're being sent to the steel mill by the plot, I recommend working your way up to the last challenge before you head in. Once you get there, you can repeatedly reset from checkpoint. You'll see why it's a good place to get the challenge done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

catlord posted:

So, about ten minutes in and I hit my first bug. In the gas chamber, three guys run in. Two of them stood still and one ran around in a circle and after I beat them up the door wouldn't open. But that's ok, because when I punched it I just phased right through it and went on like nothing happened.

Yeah, I had that happen once on my New Game Plus. It was pretty odd, but at least it wasn't gamebreaking.

• Locked thread