Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Holy poo poo, X-PAC in Black face! :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo, X-PAC in Black face! :stare:

Everyone had black face on for that segment.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

njsykora posted:

Think it's 8pm EST.

Thanks!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

DeathChicken posted:

Watching Halloween Havoc 1989, and jesus, the Usos wish they could have an entrance half as awesome as the Samoan Swat Team.

It's weird to see Rikishi weighing less than 360 lbs. And with dreads

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Just watched King of the Ring '96. How many finishers did Warrior no sell during this run? You always see the pedigree one, but I never knew he did it to King's piledriver too.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sono posted:

Just watched King of the Ring '96. How many finishers did Warrior no sell during this run? You always see the pedigree one, but I never knew he did it to King's piledriver too.

I was watching a PPV last night and Taz no sold 3 piledrivers in a row from Lawler

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Watching some of the old Raws (back in 1993), one of the things I like is the variety in finishes. Every match didn't end on a finisher. They also threw in some countouts, double countouts, and so on. I know it's not a big deal, but I feel it adds some realism and surprise to the show.

Also, at the end of Halloween Havoc 97 a fan climbs the cage and gets beaten up. Was that a work? It seems so random and doesn't lead to anything. I'm assuming the fan was a plant because they pull off some fake punches on him. Just didn't seem to make sense to me or have any point to it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Finally watching the Hart vs. Michaels doc.

Really great, enthralling stuff. I don't know how much of that stuff Shawn really doesn't remember (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to drugs/concussions), but the way he turns to the camera during his jokes is pretty awkward.

Either way, it's a must watch and I'm glad I finally gave it the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Niwrad posted:

Watching some of the old Raws (back in 1993), one of the things I like is the variety in finishes. Every match didn't end on a finisher. They also threw in some countouts, double countouts, and so on. I know it's not a big deal, but I feel it adds some realism and surprise to the show.

Also, at the end of Halloween Havoc 97 a fan climbs the cage and gets beaten up. Was that a work? It seems so random and doesn't lead to anything. I'm assuming the fan was a plant because they pull off some fake punches on him. Just didn't seem to make sense to me or have any point to it.

The announcers and camera people probably thought it was part of the fake Sting stuff (he's wearing Sting paint) which is why they gave him so much camera time. If you notice the fake Sting that's in the ring who's supposed to be knocked out, he gets up, pops the fan one, and keeps him tackled in the corner of the cage until security comes in.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Raw Episode 23 features the first Men on a Mission promo I've seen so far. Cheesy goodness!

Watching old Raws has reminded me of how good Waltman and Jannetty were back in the day.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Is the 360 app still bad for anyone else? Anything I watch on it "live" or otherwise seems to buffer for a few seconds every 3-4 minutes. I am not filled with hope for WrestleMania.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I never thought I'd be able to wake up and make breakfast while legally streaming wrestlemania in the background. Awesome. Does anyone in the uk remember the wrestling channel?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

OGB posted:

Finally watching the Hart vs. Michaels doc.

Really great, enthralling stuff. I don't know how much of that stuff Shawn really doesn't remember (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to drugs/concussions), but the way he turns to the camera during his jokes is pretty awkward.

Either way, it's a must watch and I'm glad I finally gave it the time.

There's some stuff that Bret says in that that's just straight bullshit but since Shawn has pretty much become a different person he won't argue in his own favor. The one that stuck out to me was Bret saying that Shawn was doing stripteases with kids in the ring and Shawn more or less says nothing about it. Shawn was an rear end in a top hat back in the day but Bret's just a crazy bitter old man now.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

simosimo posted:

I never thought I'd be able to wake up and make breakfast while legally streaming wrestlemania in the background. Awesome. Does anyone in the uk remember the wrestling channel?

Yes I remember watching 23rd generation VHS rips of early TNA stretched to gently caress across my TV screen.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The Xbox 360 app is just pure garbage for many reasons and I feel bad for anyone that is relying on using it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Retromancer posted:

There's some stuff that Bret says in that that's just straight bullshit but since Shawn has pretty much become a different person he won't argue in his own favor. The one that stuck out to me was Bret saying that Shawn was doing stripteases with kids in the ring and Shawn more or less says nothing about it. Shawn was an rear end in a top hat back in the day but Bret's just a crazy bitter old man now.

Yeah, that part was very uncomfortable. Whether it was left in to do so or not, it underlined how/why the Clique guys saw Bret as old and out of touch. Just a very weird argument.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Going back and watching Bash at the Beach 96, I'm noticing a lot of things that I missed the last time I watched it (at least a decade ago). The first thing that stood out is how ineffective the whole thing was in retrospect. Obviously it worked extremely well at the time, but they could have done things so much better. The announcing basically set up the turn as he was coming in, with the arguing over what side he was on. It could have been sold so much better if everyone just assumed he was there to help Savage/Sting. Also, as this was 18 years ago, it's amazing how terrible and slow Hogan already looked.

With all of that said, the selling by Randy Anderson was amazing. I never really noticed him in the past, but his reaction to Hogan's turn was awesome. It was a perfect look of disappointment and shock. Hogan was also great on the mic, just because of the stark contrast to his previous persona.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

now that HHH has really grown on me, his docu was really cool. The part with Nash fist pumping and celebrating the clique's new designated driver was awesome.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Acrolos posted:

Going back and watching Bash at the Beach 96, I'm noticing a lot of things that I missed the last time I watched it (at least a decade ago). The first thing that stood out is how ineffective the whole thing was in retrospect. Obviously it worked extremely well at the time, but they could have done things so much better. The announcing basically set up the turn as he was coming in, with the arguing over what side he was on. It could have been sold so much better if everyone just assumed he was there to help Savage/Sting. Also, as this was 18 years ago, it's amazing how terrible and slow Hogan already looked.

With all of that said, the selling by Randy Anderson was amazing. I never really noticed him in the past, but his reaction to Hogan's turn was awesome. It was a perfect look of disappointment and shock. Hogan was also great on the mic, just because of the stark contrast to his previous persona.

Heenan kind of went off-script with the 'whose side is he on' stuff and you can see Schiavone actively trying to squash it to maintain the surprise. It's funny though because Heenan *would* have that reaction since he's never trusted Hogan in any of their interactions prior to that, so it makes perfect sense that he'd doubt his allegiances.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was also one of the very few times Tony Schiavone was *really* on his game as an announcer. He sold being disgusted and deflated better than maybe any announcer I've heard.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Heenan kind of went off-script with the 'whose side is he on' stuff and you can see Schiavone actively trying to squash it to maintain the surprise. It's funny though because Heenan *would* have that reaction since he's never trusted Hogan in any of their interactions prior to that, so it makes perfect sense that he'd doubt his allegiances.

if anything, it made the turn more believable, because Brain absolutely loses his poo poo when Hogan drops the leg.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

if anything, it made the turn more believable, because Brain absolutely loses his poo poo when Hogan drops the leg.

Was there any point in WCW where Heenan sided with Hogan? I'd like to believe not.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

That was also one of the very few times Tony Schiavone was *really* on his game as an announcer. He sold being disgusted and deflated better than maybe any announcer I've heard.

Yes. The sign-off of "Go to Hell, Hogan" was fantastic.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
So due to a recent press release, we've learned that an hour before the Hall of Fame on Saturday, there's going to be a red carpet special with Michael Cole and Renee Young interviewing people. THAT is how you sell this network.

We've also learned that what I figured would be, is the Wrestlemania 30 Pre-show will feature the tag titles four-way match between the Uso, Real Americans, Los Matadores, and Rybaxel.

And the Legends of Wrestling panel that was mentioned on JBL and Cole's radio show will be Friday at 10pm - right after Smackdown.

And if you didn't know - Wrestlemania Today on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 6pm.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DudeDeuce posted:

We've also learned that what I figured would be, is the Wrestlemania 30 Pre-show will feature the tag titles four-way match between the Uso, Real Americans, Los Matadores, and Rybaxel.

Makes sense - as much as I'd like to see Cesaro on the main card, having The Shield beat Rybaxel with ease after already winning against 3MB (on SD) didn't exactly sell this match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Acrolos posted:

I always felt that WCW had better refs than WWF/E. Randy "Pee-Wee" Anderson, "Shooter" Mark Curtis, Lil' Naitch and even Nick Patrick had way more personality without making everything about them.

Sucks that cancer killed both Pee-Wee and Shooter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was there any point in WCW where Heenan sided with Hogan? I'd like to believe not.

I wanna say that Heenan was in the nWo at one point but that might be misremembered.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_World_Order_(professional_wrestling)#List_of_incarnations_and_members

nope.

But Dusty?!?

coconono fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 31, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Heenan wasn't off-script because there wasn't a script. That was yet another time Tony found out what was happening and didn't tell the other announcers so he could look better/smarter.

MrBling posted:

I always felt that WCW had better refs than WWF/E. Randy "Pee-Wee" Anderson, "Shooter" Mark Curtis, Lil' Naitch and even Nick Patrick had way more personality without making everything about them.

Sucks that cancer killed both Pee-Wee and Shooter.

Lil' Naitch is still reffing in WWE.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

What show was it where someone made a "Nick Patrick is a bad person" sign?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Which of the new shows are any good? I remember folks talking about how the last episode of WWE Countdown was amazing, but are the others worth the money?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

KoldPT posted:

Which of the new shows are any good? I remember folks talking about how the last episode of WWE Countdown was amazing, but are the others worth the money?

WrestleMania Rewind has been good, but it's quality is linked more to the significance of the match they're focusing on. The Hogan/Andre one and the one on the WrestleMania I main event are very good. The one on John Cena's first 2 WrestleMania matches a bit less so. Legends of Wrestling isn't a new show per se, but is well worth checking out if you haven't seen them yet.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

coconono posted:

I wanna say that Heenan was in the nWo at one point but that might be misremembered.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_World_Order_(professional_wrestling)#List_of_incarnations_and_members

nope.

But Dusty?!?

The best part of the NWO documentary is Cody talking about how his mom had to call Dusty to help calm him down because he was so upset his dad joined the NWO.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KoldPT posted:

Slam City is cute. Countdown is kinda ehhh(not a huge fan of those VH1 reaction style shows). Legends is cool if you keep a bullshit meter handy. The pre and post shows are what you'd expect. I like the recap shows because it saves me from having to sit through 3 hours RAW. Superstars is fun if you're into the workhorses and the not quites of WWE. NXT is worth watching.

Plus they've said they're gonna put up all the old Clash of the Champions.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm hoping that Saturday Morning Slam comes up soon. My kid and I had a pretty good time watching Slam City over the weekend since she goes nuts for anything Claymation.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What was the general reaction to Summer Slam 1993? This is the one where Luger faces Yokozuna for the WWF Title in the spirit of USA vs Japan, and Luger wins by count out. The faces then come out and they have this huge loving celebration, but even as a kid I thought it was incredibly stupid because he won by COUNT OUT and, therefore, didn't win the title. Why celebrate so much? The crowd even seemed to be going bonkers but it just seemed, and seems, so dumb.

Spoilered just in case anyone is watching the events as they happen along with the daily/weekly addition of classic RAW episodes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was probably an accident, but it continued the long running story (going back to WCW) of Luger being a great big choke artist when it came to title matches.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Phenix Rising posted:

What was the general reaction to Summer Slam 1993? This is the one where Luger faces Yokozuna for the WWF Title in the spirit of USA vs Japan, and Luger wins by count out. The faces then come out and they have this huge loving celebration, but even as a kid I thought it was incredibly stupid because he won by COUNT OUT and, therefore, didn't win the title. Why celebrate so much? The crowd even seemed to be going bonkers but it just seemed, and seems, so dumb.

Spoilered just in case anyone is watching the events as they happen along with the daily/weekly addition of classic RAW episodes.

Even at 13 I was like 'they sent a bus around America for THIS poo poo?'

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I always assumed it was a rib on Luger

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm hoping that Saturday Morning Slam comes up soon. My kid and I had a pretty good time watching Slam City over the weekend since she goes nuts for anything Claymation.

Which one was her favorite? Mine wanted to watch the Del Rio one 100 times. So you know, it covered an hour of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember watching at the time and I thought the whole Luger as a patriot face thing was weird. He was a bad guy and all of the sudden he shows up in a red white and blue helicopter in american flag trunks and slams Yokozuna on the aircraft carrier. I didn't buy it. I wanted Tatanka to do it or Crush who was made out to be the favorite.