Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I was tired of welding on the wavy-assed concrete garage floor so I began researching small welding tables. At first I decided that I wanted to build my own but I decided to buy something instead due to the cost of materials. I found the Eastwood Nomad table which is a rebranded Stronghand Nomad table. Both of the aforementioned tables are $150. I checked out Harbor freight to see what they had and found their copy of the Nomad table.

The HF table does not have adjustable height, wheels, or a handle. None of the welded on nuts for threading in bolts are straight. The edges of the table top are bowed out so the included fences for the top are not square. But the HF table was on sale for $60 and I had a coupon for another 20% off. I'm sure it's not nearly as nice as the other two but for $100 less I can make due and now I can weld standing up.

Nomad table

Harbor Freight table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

WashinMyGoat posted:

Ouch. To take this one step further, Metabo has the WEPBA series with an auto-brake. Even with a non-locking switch, there is still a danger of the wheel spinning after you release the switch. The WEPBA automatically brakes the wheel in 2 seconds or less.

If you go to 2:20 of this video, it shows it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8SIXxyhz_A

I have a customer that does work at a power plant, and this is the only angle grinder they will allow on site. They are about $260 dollars, but the safety guys love them because everyone goes home with all of their fingers.

I blame you. I've wanted a WEP14 for a long time, but after that accident and learning about the WEPBA series, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow...those are spendy. But I'm putting that on my list because it's certainly cheaper than the emergency room visit.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Anyone have any experience with husky toolboxes? The 46" one that's 299 on the site is 240 at my local HD which is about 100 less than the comparable harbor freight one and has that wood top that I could mount a small vise to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

Anyone have any experience with husky toolboxes? The 46" one that's 299 on the site is 240 at my local HD which is about 100 less than the comparable harbor freight one and has that wood top that I could mount a small vise to.

They're just chinese crap with a logo slapped on them. They've had a similar looking one for sale at my local home depot for $200. I bought one last year and it was pretty decent. I went back a few months ago to get another one, and it looked similar but felt way cheaper.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kmcormick9 posted:

Homeowner user: Probably just fine. Like Powershift mentioned, it cheap chinese steel.
Weekend wrencher: Get the 44" HF box, it's the new "cheap, yet decent" recommendation from pretty much everyone.
Serious hobbiest: Get the 56" or 72" HF box, dollar for dollar can't be beat.

Really comes down to two things: Budget and what you think works the best for your needs.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
A vote here for the Harbor Freight box. You can find a coupon easy to bring the price down pretty close to what the Home Depot one costs, and it's made better. Here's the link to the Garage Journal comparison. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445
The Husky box you're looking at is post 192 in the thread.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

the spyder posted:

Homeowner user: Probably just fine. Like Powershift mentioned, it cheap chinese steel.
Weekend wrencher: Get the 44" HF box, it's the new "cheap, yet decent" recommendation from pretty much everyone.
Serious hobbiest: Get the 56" or 72" HF box, dollar for dollar can't be beat.

Really comes down to two things: Budget and what you think works the best for your needs.

Get the HF 44" Box, it's better made than any of the Craftsman crap and cheaper. You can find coupons for it regularly for $359.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
This might belong more in the DIY tools thread, but this guy built a 100-ton press using mostly scrap he had laying around and some rudimentary milling and stick welding. Seems like it would be something more than a few of us would find handy to have in the garage or mobile toolbox. He is also possibly the most Canadian man ever.

Vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_LSPX8cNaE

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He revises that in a latter video saying it's probably closer to 65-75 ton (still hugely impressive of course) and is also a shitload of work to actually use. Kastein's approach is probably a much more practical way to go. Still a cool project though.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Ah, I just saw it linked off of the Hack-a-day website and didn't see the revision video. I don't doubt it's a shitload of work to use, but I could definitely see utility in keeping something like that in the toolkit if you do(or realistically need to plan to be able to do) a bunch of crazy poo poo miles from home like Kastein does. It's certainly a lot more compact and disassemble-able than a traditional hydraulic ram press is.

\/\/ I see, nevermind then.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 26, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It is but it also requires a large and well secured vise to use it and would be very difficult to tighten evenly. Still a cool project for anyone with the appropriate tools and parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, I have a method for this? News to me. Unless you're talking about thermal trickery, which is hardly my invention, I just use it a lot.

I've considered building that press, chrisgt sent me the link for it a while ago on IRC. Haven't had a need for that strong a press yet though.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Can anybody point me to that gasket material cleaning wheel? I remember seeing it a while back but can't remember the name. About to do a long-overdue trans+diff service and I'm expecting them both to be a pain in the rear end to clean.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

Wait, I have a method for this? News to me. Unless you're talking about thermal trickery, which is hardly my invention, I just use it a lot.

I've considered building that press, chrisgt sent me the link for it a while ago on IRC. Haven't had a need for that strong a press yet though.

I thought you built like a ~20 ton press out of some c-channel and a bottle jack a while back. Did you just start planning it or am I thinking of someone else?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh, yeah, I built a big rear end press out of C channel and a 12 ton bottle jack (it's sized to fit up to a 50 ton, so basically I can put bigger jacks in it until it starts making unhappy noises.) It took about a half to whole day of fabricating and as much money on materials as an HF 12 ton shop press costs, but I trust it more than one of those.

It was by no means the fast or easy route, if you need a shop press (most people are going to be perfectly fine with a 12 ton) just buy one, honestly. Unless you WANT to spend a whole day cutting, drilling, welding, muttering, and half assing a press design.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been wanting to pickup some large 6" C channel the next time I'm at our local metal yard that sells remnants by the pound to make a better press then my 20T HF special. The drat thing works, but it's a POS. For $100 + some hydraulics, I can build a much nicer one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Kilersquirrel posted:

Can anybody point me to that gasket material cleaning wheel? I remember seeing it a while back but can't remember the name. About to do a long-overdue trans+diff service and I'm expecting them both to be a pain in the rear end to clean.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...oc+bristle+disc

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Thanks, I couldn't remember the name to save my life.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Be careful with that though, aluminum oxide is very hard and if particles get into any fluid/passages it will wreak havoc on bearing surfaces.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just the other day I complained about needing a plastic or copper mallet occasionally, yesterday I discovered a 9lb thor split head super plastic mallet with mangled heads and a splintered shaft in the skip at work. New shaft ordered and I'll tidy the heads up with a file or buy new ones, voila, freeish €200 mallet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Get that drat Euro symbol outta there!

Somehow, there has been a flurry of miniature workshop kit posted on Imgur:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh wow, I just used an air-powered needle scaler for the first time. Why didn't I buy one of these years ago?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Oh wow, I just used an air-powered needle scaler for the first time. Why didn't I buy one of these years ago?

I posted almost this exact comment 6 months ago! ;) They are amazing! If you want to save a bit of cash you can buy yourself a scaler attachment from ebay and it will fit onto one of the £10 Aldi air chisels or the cheapest clarke air chisel (which is the same as the Aldi one)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Needle scalers are amazing. I just wish they didn't peck the hell out of things.

What I really need to get though is a media blaster. Not the rush limbaugh kind, the walnut shell/soda kind.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

What I really need to get though is a media blaster. Not the rush limbaugh kind, the walnut shell/soda kind.

I'm in the same boat. However a friend of mine runs a bodywork/paint-shop and he allowed me to bring a few items and check methods before buying anything.

My totally subjective conclusion is that:

1) Dry ice blasting is fun as hell, but only works for removing undercoating and vibration damping material (and fingers).
2) Walnut media is pretty useless for anything other than removing graffiti from brick walls. gently caress that treehugger fad.
3) Soda is ineffective and nasty. It really struggled removing the factory clear-coat from a rack of Mikuni-carburetors. It did however destroy the choke seals (I expected that it would, and I had new ones). If someone told you that soda-blasting won't destroy rubber, he's a lying rear end in a top hat.
4) Sand blasting is like a chainsaw on aluminum, rubber and mild steel.
5) Glass blasting is the only media worth it.
6) Wet blasting with glass is loving amazing, and I'm totally willing to destroy nature to accomplish my goals.

Ordered: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_8520_8520

I'll probably provide an update on how to destroy wheels with glass-wetblasting.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wear a loving good respirator.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

There's an 'Aww' section on reddit for cute things and there was a theme of cute man stuff or something like that.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Wear a loving good respirator.

Like all you good girls, I wear a respirator 24/7, but I might remove it while wetblasting some toxic poo poo off my toxic poo poo.

My lawn might need a respirator though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Sir Cornelius posted:

Like all you good girls, I wear a respirator 24/7, but I might remove it while wetblasting some toxic poo poo off my toxic poo poo.

My lawn might need a respirator though.

Powdered glass is terrifying, and wetting it only helps while it stays wet. :colbert:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Powdered glass is terrifying, and wetting it only helps while it stays wet. :colbert:

It always piss-rains where I live, so I'm totally safe here. If it's dry, only the kids and the cats are out, and that shouldn't be a problem. They had it coming.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I use a media blaster at least 3 hours a day. I use a dry plastic blasting media. That particular media is great for paint stripping without damaging metal.

I use a silicone half mask with particulate cartridges for respiratory protection. I used to use a disposable dust mask.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 30, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone in canada know a good place to get 6pt wrenches? After mangling the swiss cheese hex on my shocks I realize I need something quality for sensitive things that I can't get my 6pt sockets on.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Crossposting from Horrible Mechanical Failures thread because it probably belongs here instead.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Gearwrench.com has a few 5-piece sets of ratcheting wrenches in the Hot Deals section for $12-$15. It's a good price to try them before you drop serious cash on a full set.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Crossposting from Horrible Mechanical Failures thread because it probably belongs here instead.

This deal is US only...in fact, Gearwrench only seems to sell to US addresses for now.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The sets that Canadian Tire sells are Gear Wrench branded; they have the stubby, regular and flex head versions. They come on sale every so often, I think I got my 14 piece flex head SAE and Metric sets for $60?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
If you don't need the flex head, then the 28-piece (7 each of SAE and metric, in regular and stubby lengths) set goes on sale for $80 every few months.

For content, I just bought this. Can't wait until another asphalt planer comes into the shop that needs new teeth and I don't have to spend 3 hours hammering them out by hand.

Also my Snap On dealer came into the shop today and handed me this. Apparently I won a draw. This thing is badass but I will probably crash it within a week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Get that drat Euro symbol outta there!

Whoops. I never realised I need a pencil sharpening plane before.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I don't recall, was it ever determined if a non-garbage grease gun exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't recall, was it ever determined if a non-garbage grease gun exists?

I think the consensus was that all grease guns are poo poo, but the Lincoln Pistol Grip one was least lovely by a long shot when compared to the rest.