Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

NtotheTC posted:

I think most goons, myself included, would happily take an uncompetative championship right now, provided its not Red Bull winning it.

Yep.

Especially as there's a realistic prospect of an intrateam batle.

CratSock posted:

He leveraged his position as president of the Constructors Association to allow the cars for a few more races, after which they would be voluntarily withdrawn, but the Commission Sportive of the FIA actually stepped in and declared them illegal. The results from the one race they were used (with a win and a retirement) remained legit.

This isn't entirely accurate, the car was never ruled illegal. They were told that would happen for the next year but voluntarily pulled it after the one race.

The designer, Gordon Murray talks about it in some detail in the podcast here - http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/multimedia/audio-podcasts/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

NtotheTC posted:

I think most goons, myself included, would happily take an uncompetative championship right now, provided its not Red Bull winning it.

I disagree. I don't want Vettel to win again either but I'd rather he win in a close, exciting championship, than have Mercedes run away with it all season. I've been watching F1 for 20 years, and while this isn't the worst it's been, I'm starting to consider doing other things with my time :(

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to see flagrant disregard of rules just take a look at the 1980-1982 Formula 1 seasons.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I think it’s way too early to say Mercedes have already locked up the championship. They are obviously the class of the field now but there are an awful lot of races to go, and crazier things have happened. But if they do keep their dominance up, watching Lewis and Nico battle it out wouldn’t be the worst thing to watch.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for RBR getting their first three race results tossed in the trash for their bullshit sensor. If that happens this will automatically be the most entertaining season in a long while.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

poopzilla posted:

I think it’s way too early to say Mercedes have already locked up the championship. They are obviously the class of the field now but there are an awful lot of races to go, and crazier things have happened. But if they do keep their dominance up, watching Lewis and Nico battle it out wouldn’t be the worst thing to watch.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for RBR getting their first three race results tossed in the trash for their bullshit sensor. If that happens this will automatically be the most entertaining season in a long while.

They'd spectacularly spit their dummies out too and hopefully they'd gently caress off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NtotheTC posted:

This, op!!!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

NtotheTC posted:

Kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat. I'd rather have a nail biter with RB or Mercedes coming out on top so long as it comes down to the last lap of the last race. I don't want to see anyone walk away with it, no matter what team.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

front wing flexing posted:

I'd rather have a nail biter with RB or Mercedes coming out on top so long as it comes down to the last lap of the last race.

The kind of fan that got us double points, gentleman.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm still in denial that the double points race exists. I keep thinking they're going to change it back some time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its such a gloriously bad idea that it would be fitting that Vettel wins it after punting a mercedes off the track and wins the championship by a single point.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

nsaP posted:

I'm still in denial that the double points race exists. I keep thinking they're going to change it back some time.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

Kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat. I'd rather have a nail biter with RB or Mercedes coming out on top so long as it comes down to the last lap of the last race. I don't want to see anyone walk away with it, no matter what team.

Look at this bad opinion.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

serious gaylord posted:

Its such a gloriously bad idea that it would be fitting that Vettel wins it after punting a mercedes off the track and wins the championship by a single point.

It will be really stupid if the championship leader is leading by 49 points, dominates most of the race, then has a mechanical problem and drops out, and the second place driver in the championship takes the win and the championship, which will totally happen to Lewis.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

gret posted:

It will be really stupid if the championship leader is leading by 49 points, dominates most of the race, then has a mechanical problem and drops out, and the second place driver in the championship takes the win and the championship, which will totally happen to Lewis.

If that happens then Lewis will become the WMDC for life but as is always said the driver who deserves to be the champion is the the driver with the most points so we will have to accept 5ebastian Vettel as the greatest driver who ever lived when he secures his fifth championship in such a fashion.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MZ posted:

I disagree. I don't want Vettel to win again either but I'd rather he win in a close, exciting championship, than have Mercedes run away with it all season. I've been watching F1 for 20 years, and while this isn't the worst it's been, I'm starting to consider doing other things with my time :(

In 1988/89 McLaren run away with it and those 2 are considered classic seasons.

People seem to be completely ignoring that 2 drivers are in for the championship at worst. It's not like when Red Bull is quick and you know it'll be Vettel.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
So when did Lotus start shilling the Microsoft cloud? Are they really that hard up for money?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The kind of fan that got us double points, gentleman.

Oh gently caress you, the double points thing is stupid but I'm hardly the first fan to want a championship to come down to the last race. In fact, it's what most of you mouth-breathers have been crying about for years in these threads that you wanted.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cart Cam posted:

So when did Lotus start shilling the Microsoft cloud? Are they really that hard up for money?

Almost all of their sponsors are business related. It makes sense when looking at their other sponsors.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They added the Richard Mille sponsorship this year too, to compete in the hideously ugly watches game with Ferrari's Hublot sponsorship.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a long season, so give it a chance please. I hope RBR doesn't win a race this year.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Horner on Vettel swearing in all his media interviews:

quote:

"He should be applauded for saying what he thinks"

Swearing is cool.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
So is there a possibility that Red Bull will be Disqualified for the Australian-Malaysian-Bahrain GPs? Or did they play by the rules in Malaysia?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

marsisol posted:

So is there a possibility that Red Bull will be Disqualified for the Australian-Malaysian-Bahrain GPs? Or did they play by the rules in Malaysia?

Yeah, they're going all-in on their special snowflake of a sensor. So like a said earlier, fingers crossed!

I really hope this bites them in the rear end so hard

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

poopzilla posted:

Yeah, they're going all-in on their special snowflake of a sensor. So like a said earlier, fingers crossed!

I really hope this bites them in the rear end so hard

Wow that seems positively insane. They must be very, very confident (full of poo poo). A part of me hopes to see a Red Bull 1-2 in Bahrain, only to have it taken away.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

krushgroove posted:

IIRC Lee said she didn't want to present the show, but maybe that was a statement for the public?

I don't really like or hate DC as a commentator, but he's better than Brundle and the Sky gang with their 'back in my day' story every 2 minutes. I've grown to be meh about Lazenby, and who even remembers what his Princess Grace comment was anyway? Who's Princess Grace? Plus Ted is better at what he does than BBC's Ted.

e: but about the race, it was watchable enough. Rain would have made it a little more exciting but the crowning moment was 'Botta is faster than you' - did Massa's engineer think of NO other way to phrase that? And Claire William's backpedaling under Ted's questioning was interesting.

The thing i liked about the BBC was the way they covered everything from the team, the driver and the technical stuff. Sky just seems to be an old drivers club that almost never mention the other stuff unless its a team principle gushing over their driver.

Without Eddie to balance out DC's bias (both RB and driver) its getting more like Sky's

Off topic a bit for those who have read the regulations. Is it explicitly stated that the fuel sensor has to be on the only fuel line between the tanks and the engine? If not then just have it on its own little loop with a fuel pump that will pump at 50kg/hr.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Off topic a bit for those who have read the regulations. Is it explicitly stated that the fuel sensor has to be on the only fuel line between the tanks and the engine? If not then just have it on its own little loop with a fuel pump that will pump at 50kg/hr.

What are the implications of that explicit positioning of the sensor? I thought RBR's issue was that they were just using their own sensor, not the FIA-mandated sensor.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Let's just say they have the FIA sensor in the car.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

The FIA posted:

5.10.4 Only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.

5.10.5 Any device, system or procedure the purpose and/or effect of which is to increase the flow rate after the measurement point is prohibited.

It's fairly cut and dry, for the FIA.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That was a pretty big disparity between HOUR LUIS and Rosberg, was there maybe a bit of sandbagging to hold off the rest of the field by Rosberg or was his setup just not that great? I guess maybe he was scrapping a bit at the beginning to let lewis get away or something and couldn't claw his way back?

RB look pretty good considering they're allegedly still down on power on the mercs (and everyone else), not that I'm looking forward to their imminent domination.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Red Bull's Christian Horner: "We intentionally sabotaged the FIA sensors at Malaysia."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You're gonna feel really silly when it turns out to be true.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

That was a pretty big disparity between HOUR LUIS and Rosberg, was there maybe a bit of sandbagging to hold off the rest of the field by Rosberg or was his setup just not that great? I guess maybe he was scrapping a bit at the beginning to let lewis get away or something and couldn't claw his way back?

RB look pretty good considering they're allegedly still down on power on the mercs (and everyone else), not that I'm looking forward to their imminent domination.

Definitely something about set up or driving style. Lewis' engineer said over team radio that Nico was struggling with rear grip.

To me that either means he's not as good at managing the torque as Lewis is yet, or something about Nico's set up was making the car harder on the tyres.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
The irony is that Hour Lewham was always said to destroy his tyres. Driving with his crotch instead of his head. Either he has matured or that was all bullshit, as is the way in F1.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thegasman2000 posted:

The irony is that Hour Lewham was always said to destroy his tyres. Driving with his crotch instead of his head. Either he has matured or that was all bullshit, as is the way in F1.

Hes probably just adapted to the massive jump in rear wheel torque better than Rosberg. He was much easier on his fuel consumption too so he clearly had a smoother driving style. Although that far out in front he could lift+coast a lot more.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

serious gaylord posted:

Hes probably just adapted to the massive jump in rear wheel torque better than Rosberg. He was much easier on his fuel consumption too so he clearly had a smoother driving style. Although that far out in front he could lift+coast a lot more.

But this goes back to the Jenson Mclaren days, Old Jenson has the measure of him regarding tyres bull...

I know Lewis likes a twitchy rear end so perhaps its just a setup preference coming from the new torquey engines (Powertrains)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

thegasman2000 posted:

I know Lewis likes a twitchy rear end

Lets ask Sutil.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Lewis did used to shred his tyres. He got better. A couple of seasons not being at the top have really improved him as an all round driver, I doubt we'll see him crash into a stationary car in the pit lane again.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Zombywuf posted:

Lewis did used to shred his tyres. He got better. A couple of seasons not being at the top have really improved him as an all round driver, I doubt we'll see him crash into a stationary car in the pit lane again.

Schumacher was similar in '92-93. Ross Brawn said he was hard on his tyres and in '92 he bumped into a lot of people.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sulman posted:

Schumacher was similar in '92-93. Ross Brawn said he was hard on his tyres and in '92 he bumped into a lot of people.

Well to be fair he just focused that "bumping into people" at his rivals instead of getting rid of it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

Well to be fair he just focused that "bumping into people" at his rivals instead of getting rid of it all together.

Good strategy, imo.

• Locked thread