Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

using my multimeter... hmm genius... why didn't i think
of that???? (because i am morone)

(because you have a serious substance abuse problem)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so let's say i wanna make a compass controlled by an arduino. gotta be able to turn 360 degrees. do i just use a servo or what

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

actually ideally it would turn continuously. so i need one of those that does feedback, right

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Corla Plankun posted:

*cue laugh track*

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

brushless dc motor with an optical encoder on the axle feeding into a PID loop

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Glorgnole posted:

brushless dc motor with an optical encoder on the axle feeding into a PID loop

optical encoder, that's what i was trying to remember. thank you :-)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

man gray code is frickin cool

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Werthog 95 posted:

so let's say i wanna make a compass controlled by an arduino. gotta be able to turn 360 degrees. do i just use a servo or what

Yeah thing about lovely hobby servos is that they use a pot to determine the position, this is why most dont do continuous rotation. You can get them to do continuous rotation but this is by removing the pot and just using pwm to determine speed and no positional feedback. You can technically get a servo that does both contiuous rotation with oositional feedback but excpect to pay like $200 or more.

You could use a stepper motor as long as you dont miss any steps, or recalibrate zero or north or wjatever reference point periodically

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Yeah thing about lovely hobby servos is that they use a pot to determine the position, this is why most dont do continuous rotation. You can get them to do continuous rotation but this is by removing the pot and just using pwm to determine speed and no positional feedback. You can technically get a servo that does both contiuous rotation with oositional feedback but excpect to pay like $200 or more.

You could use a stepper motor as long as you dont miss any steps, or recalibrate zero or north or wjatever reference point periodically

stepper motor route might be good enough for what i'm doing, it's easy enough to recalibrate every time i start it up. plus i already have one sitting around from another aborted project. i'll play around with it

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Werthog 95 posted:

optical encoder, that's what i was trying to remember. thank you :-)

also peep this
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?ams/AS5048B-AB-10/&qs=sGAEpiMZZMurtJ7VwBTl0SWHTbp7nPWNqQF6blNFuwE=

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

and this if you do stepper http://www.panucatt.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37854

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

you like peeping don't you. i bet you do it a lot.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Werthog 95 posted:

hey, hi, i have a question

i have a very stupid idea for something which would basically require the same guts as the haptic compass (except instead of being a buzzy belt it's something else)

my question is how the heck do you connect an arduino to an iphone app

what are you doing exactly

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Dr. Honked posted:

you like peeping don't you. i bet you do it a lot.

PEEP and POKE

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

coffeetable posted:

what are you doing exactly

it's a secret

it's a really dumb goony idea but i wanna make it before i show it off because otherwise i'll never finish it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
use a stepper motor plus an optical sensor to make sure the stepper motor is turning in the right direction.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Doc Block posted:

use a stepper motor plus an optical sensor to make sure the stepper motor is turning in the right direction.

you don't really need feedback on a stepper, the sequence of pulses to the coils determines direction. only thing you need positional feedback for is if you have external forces capable of overcoming the motor's torque.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Werthog 95 posted:

it's a secret

it's a really dumb goony idea but i wanna make it before i show it off because otherwise i'll never finish it

is it a compass but it's powered by cell phone that moves a dial around
or perhaps it's a missile guidance system??

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

is it a compass but it's powered by cell phone that moves a dial around
or perhaps it's a missile guidance system??

basically the former, it points to a gps waypoint. should be pretty easy to zero the thing on startup, i guess stepper motor's the way to go

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if it's a cat compass and you're using it to track an rfid hanging off your kitty you will become a yospos hero

think about how much fun that would be for like a little kid to play with

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

if it's a cat compass and you're using it to track an rfid hanging off your kitty you will become a yospos hero

think about how much fun that would be for like a little kid to play with

that's actually a good idea, i lost a cat yesterday for like an hour before discovering him burrito'd in a blanket

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a digital cat map that shows the locations of your kitties on a diagram of your place of dwelling

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

in the meantime, i've just tied iphones to all my cats

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Someone in this thread linked a book that was a really good introduction to electronics, what was it?

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

more like dICK posted:

Someone in this thread linked a book that was a really good introduction to electronics, what was it?
was it http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Electronics-Forrest-Mims/dp/0945053282 ?

Dec 26, 2012

that one by forrest mims maybe?

e: ^ yeah that one

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Thank you. Now I'll go blink and LED and then throw my arduino into a drawer and forget about it.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i've got this, looks decent, not battle tested yet

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Electronics-Inventors-Third-Edition/dp/0071771336

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

This is the best book of electronic for the person who is serious about learning about electronic . ”
Certified Trainin Agency

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

stepper motor route might be good enough for what i'm doing, it's easy enough to recalibrate every time i start it up. plus i already have one sitting around from another aborted project. i'll play around with it

you can do an automatic recalibration if you put a limit switch on a spring somewhere so that the motor can turn and hit the switch, but also push past it when needed

or just do it optically

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Bloody posted:

This is the best book of electronic for the person who is serious about learning about electronic . ”
Certified Trainin Agency

thanks for promote my review

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also if you're gonna read forrest mims stuff, just please please stick to his electronics and do NOT delve any deeper into his other writings

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Corla Plankun posted:

well he is a pharmacist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the problem is that i have to keep going back to work

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how is that a problem isn't that where all the drugs are

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but i have to give them to other people

Glomper Squeeman
Jun 11, 2006

The cat does not see the cliff.
da-ding

writing cpu emulator stuff is tedious af but also kind of relaxing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wouldn't you also need a sound chip emulator to make the ba-ding noise? or was that all done on the cpu on a gameboy which is what i assume that is from the window title

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

power botton posted:

how is that a problem isn't that where all the drugs are

seriously though there is nothing fun to gently caress around with in a pharmacy unless you hate remembering life and love addiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

well im on yospos so...