Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bisse posted:

Although i'm wondering who would be able to beat Ippo. I think the only ways to beat him are to out-muscle him, which noone at his weight class will ever do, or to basically do what Gonzales is doing but without making any mistakes.

It's impossible to beat a boxer that doesn't take any actual damage that is coached by a homicidally negligent old gently caress. Ippo already lost once, he's never going to be beaten again. Soon, we'll have him win a fight with his arms broken, and all the other characters will be like "that's one of Ippo's strengths!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

trucutru posted:

It's impossible to beat a boxer that doesn't take any actual damage that is coached by a homicidally negligent old gently caress. Ippo already lost once, he's never going to be beaten again. Soon, we'll have him win a fight with his arms broken, and all the other characters will be like "that's one of Ippo's strengths!"

Ahhh, I see, such balance training on the fishing boat has allowed ippos muscles to overcome his need for a skeleton

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

To be fair he's "weathered the storm" a bit and now he can dodge the punches instead of just putting his forehead in front of them. It's not like he's just trying to get hit.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Breaky posted:

To be fair he's "weathered the storm" a bit and now he can dodge the punches instead of just putting his forehead in front of them. It's not like he's just trying to get hit.

Pretty much. As soon as he got over the surprise of Gonzales having two arms, he started dodging the punches again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Frankly given the amount of punches ippo takes, him forgetting men have two arms is not a stretch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

It's impossible to beat a boxer that doesn't take any actual damage that is coached by a homicidally negligent old gently caress.

Yeah, it's pretty questionable how the possibility of serious injury from his style (and the fact that he's pushed to continue using it) isn't really addressed often. There was that one short-lived episode with Takamura's eye (that turned out to be fine) and I think they mentioned the risk of Ippo's style once or twice, but they never really forced him to change it. I was hoping that the whole point of this fight would be to show that Ippo can't get by without improving his own style, but "win with burning spirit" seems to be more of a trend in shounen and sports manga than "win with skill."

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's pretty questionable how the possibility of serious injury from his style (and the fact that he's pushed to continue using it) isn't really addressed often. There was that one short-lived episode with Takamura's eye (that turned out to be fine) and I think they mentioned the risk of Ippo's style once or twice, but they never really forced him to change it. I was hoping that the whole point of this fight would be to show that Ippo can't get by without improving his own style, but "win with burning spirit" seems to be more of a trend in shounen and sports manga than "win with skill."

Forget that, the arc with the punch drunk guy was probably going to be something that highlighted the dangers of boxing. But then it went towards the "get punched in the face and win" direction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also it should be mentioned that said "burning spirit" is some intrinsically Japanese trait.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's plenty of sports manga that involve the characters having to actually improve to win. Burning spirit is usually involved, but there's plenty of sports manga that involves actual technical improvement.

It's mostly just that Ippo isn't a very good sports manga anymore.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The last improvement I remember is Ippo realizing that there's a reason no one uses the Dempsey Roll anymore (that it isn't viable against really good boxers anymore).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
So has Takamura smothered the lobotomized Ippo with a pillow and thrown a sink through the window yet?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

DoubleDonut posted:

There's plenty of sports manga that involve the characters having to actually improve to win. Burning spirit is usually involved, but there's plenty of sports manga that involves actual technical improvement.

It's mostly just that Ippo isn't a very good sports manga anymore.
There was another boxing manga that was fun to read that got recommended in this thread at some point. It was about a deadbeat guy who took on boxing to provide for his recently orphaned nephew, and it was mostly about owning up and putting in the work. I can't remember its name, though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Also Ashita no Joe also at least addressed the issues of main character taking too many punches. Seriously the whole fighting spirit thing is goddamn annoying.

I hope he gets wrecked in When he gets to the main fight.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nahxela posted:

There was another boxing manga that was fun to read that got recommended in this thread at some point. It was about a deadbeat guy who took on boxing to provide for his recently orphaned nephew, and it was mostly about owning up and putting in the work. I can't remember its name, though.

RRR, Rock 'n' Roll Ricky

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

trucutru posted:

RRR, Rock 'n' Roll Ricky

Just read through all of it because it sounded interesting.

It's really quite good.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So the anime just wrapped up and I gotta say that anyone who was burned on the 2nd season (was there anyone?) or just kinda sick of the trundling pace of where the manga currently is at, really needs to watch it.

This was the golden years of Ippo, and Goddamn do they nail it perfectly.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hortism posted:

So the anime just wrapped up and I gotta say that anyone who was burned on the 2nd season (was there anyone?) or just kinda sick of the trundling pace of where the manga currently is at, really needs to watch it.

This was the golden years of Ippo, and Goddamn do they nail it perfectly.

I loved season 2, but even if you didn't, the last six episodes of New Challenger are just the hypest loving thing ever and easily justifies the series.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Last episode of Rising was :unsmith: and brutal.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 30, 2014

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

2 gifs in a row, but I can't NOT post this. :P

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone remember where that arc started in the manga?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Anyone remember where that arc started in the manga?

No but this can help you find it! http://www.dynamiteglove.org/node/891

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The war arc started after the Bryan Hawk fight in the manga. I dunno where the rest of Rising leaves off chapter-wise though.

Edit: 556 is the end of the David Eagle fight apparently.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 31, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Deathy posted:

2 gifs in a row, but I can't NOT post this. :P

This is why Madhouse doing Ippo owns so hard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Thanks, duders. War arc is apparently 400-414 and I now need to go CRY MANLY TEARS. gently caress.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1047/2317/1

Two new chapters of Ippo. One of the chapters is called "The Inevitable Result." This fight is going places.:thumbsup:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So all that build up for that.

Yeah.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Oh no! Ippo's (second) weakness! A punch!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yes! His weakness! A punch in the face! How did this happen

I like that he has been constantly punched in the face the whole match, but this. This punch. It was different. It had machisimo behind it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

This fight owns.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Whats the chance Ippo doesn't get up? I mean, he only dodged into a full swing punch, shouldn't be a problem right?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ippo just needs to activate his samurai spirit and courage. Heh, this match is already over :smug:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

Ippo just needs to activate his samurai spirit and courage. Heh, this match is already over :smug:

Gutsssuuuuu

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Despite wishing the pace would be better, It's definitely not a bad fight.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else kinda expect that punch to be so hard to his temple that his exposed eyeball just pops right out?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Honest to God, they drew that punch so deep I thought Kamogawa was gonna have flashbacks to Nekota getting rabbit punched by the American.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo guys! Ippo's style is all about dodging! It may not seem like it, what with him being pummeled in the loving face most of the time, but it is totally about dodging.

I love Takamura's non-reaction.

In one hit? For real? (The previous eight hundred hits don't count)

Jiro posted:

Anyone else kinda expect that punch to be so hard to his temple that his exposed eyeball just pops right out?

I'm only asking for an Ippo and Team Medical Dragon crossover. That's all I want.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo guys! Ippo's style is all about dodging! It may not seem like it, what with him being pummeled in the loving face most of the time, but it is totally about dodging.

I love Takamura's non-reaction.

I'm only asking for an Ippo and Team Medical Dragon crossover. That's all I want.

Man... there would be so many *Intense Faces* in like every scene. Only possible to have more if they crossed over with Bambino after that.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I don't think anyone didn't see this coming. The only thing that I thought was going to happen but didn't was that I expected Ippo to take some follow up blows as he fell to the mat.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It'd be great if Ippo was dead, based on that last panel and this is just one giant morality tale about the pointlessness of shounen spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

trucutru posted:

He took a strong left hook directly on the temple, if I'm interpreting the art right. After he's already been punched in the face like a hundred times before that, plus the way Gonzalez set him up to weave right into it, it's understandable.

Besides, every Ippo fight has him get the poo poo kicked out of him for like eight rounds before getting up and punching the other guy's head off.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 2, 2014