Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://vimeo.com/70785596

I thought Gates of Steel had an official video release and all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ticket the other day to see the Lips for the first time at Buku Fest on the 22nd :D They've come through here like 3 or 4 times in the last several years, and for one reason or another, I've missed every one of those shows. So now I'm finally rectifying my mistakes and going to see them. I'm hoping the set is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skeezy posted:

http://vimeo.com/70785596

I thought Gates of Steel had an official video release and all?

This was made recently when they did the videos for The Terror.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

lil mortimer posted:

The new Gruff Rhys song from his new album features Kliph Scurlock on drums:

http://www.gruffrhys.com/american-interior-part-5-the-song/

I believe Kliph plays on a few other tracks as well.

Kliph will be performing with Gruff at SXSW, for anyone who's interested.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Surfingelectrode posted:

Gates of Steel - Recorded for a DEVO tribute album that never came out in 2004.

Wow I really like this. There was never an official release? How can I get this track?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Wow I really like this. There was never an official release? How can I get this track?

This Record Store Day on a 7":

quote:

Part of WMG's Side By Side series. Includes Devo's "Gates Of Steel" from the original DEV-O Live EP and a previously unreleased cover by The Flaming Lips all on gorgeous silver vinyl! "Gates of Steel" was the 4th single from Devo's 1980 breakthrough album, Freedom Of Choice and is a fan favorite. Prolific psych-rockers The Flaming Lips covered of Devo's "Gates of Steel" live in 2013 and released the song first as a video. Shot during the same live session as the "Turning Violent" video , the Freedom of Choice cut was adapted to fit the radiantly noisy sonic and visual esthetic that the band's been flaunting since The Terror.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

iluvpr0n posted:

This Record Store Day on a 7":

I'm guessing that'll be the version they recorded last year.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm guessing that'll be the version they recorded last year.

This is what I assumed. I can't find any info really. I prefer the creepy piano/crying version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw the Lips live for the first time tonight and I'm pretty sure my head exploded multiple times. It was a short set since it was a festival and they weren't headlining (only like an hour and 15 minutes, which meant an hour since Wayne talked a bunch) but still pretty incredible. They opened with Look...The Sun Is Rising and played Yoshimi Part 1, Race For The Prize (slow then fast), Do You Realize, The WAND, A Spoonful Weighs A Ton, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (which was a real treat), and a couple others.

There was a mass of LED light strips on stage that changed colors really quickly and Wayne was singing from a metal podium that rose out of the tangled light strips. And he was wearing this glittery cape and later he donned this like balloon bodysuit thing that made him look a metal version of the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. It was very weird but weird is what I was expecting so it delivered and I was real happy about that.

If it had been a longer set, it probably would've been in my top few live acts that I've ever seen. Still, I'm very glad I got to see them finally. It was worth the wait.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw the Lips live for the first time tonight and I'm pretty sure my head exploded multiple times. It was a short set since it was a festival and they weren't headlining (only like an hour and 15 minutes, which meant an hour since Wayne talked a bunch) but still pretty incredible. They opened with Look...The Sun Is Rising and played Yoshimi Part 1, Race For The Prize (slow then fast), Do You Realize, The WAND, A Spoonful Weighs A Ton, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (which was a real treat), and a couple others.

There was a mass of LED light strips on stage that changed colors really quickly and Wayne was singing from a metal podium that rose out of the tangled light strips. And he was wearing this glittery cape and later he donned this like balloon bodysuit thing that made him look a metal version of the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. It was very weird but weird is what I was expecting so it delivered and I was real happy about that.

If it had been a longer set, it probably would've been in my top few live acts that I've ever seen. Still, I'm very glad I got to see them finally. It was worth the wait.

Is Wayne still doing the thing with the suit being all attached to stuff and he carries a doll on his arms?

Does that make sense?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

Is Wayne still doing the thing with the suit being all attached to stuff and he carries a doll on his arms?

Does that make sense?
I don't recall seeing a doll but there probably was one, and yeah, it sure seemed like he was attached to stuff on stage. I was near the front but stage left so there may have been some stuff on the other side of the stage that I missed.

Also now that I think about it, I don't think I saw Wayne hold an instrument at any point. Doesn't he usually play guitar on at least a few songs?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Also now that I think about it, I don't think I saw Wayne hold an instrument at any point. Doesn't he usually play guitar on at least a few songs?

Not on this tour.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

It's kind of superfluous with the number of people in the band now.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
The rumors from last week that Kliph has quit or been kicked out of the band are starting to look true.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MajorB posted:

The rumors from last week that Kliph has quit or been kicked out of the band are starting to look true.

I dunno, the post immediately afterwards is about how he won't be in Toronto with Gruff Rhys. Unless that's the band you're talking about in which case I dunno.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
A "friend of a friend" on Slow Nerve Action says he was fired.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 30, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So apparently the Lips announced that they weren't done with the Dark Side Of The Moon thing after all and that they're releasing a companion album meant to be played at the same time as DSOTM, entitled Flaming Side Of The Moon.

quote:

For ideal listening conditions, fans are encouraged to seek out the original Alan Parsons’ engineered quadraphonic LP mix of Dark Side, but it will work with the album on any format
And the quadraphonic mix is only available in the $150 DSOTM box set.

Furthermore, Flaming Side Of The Moon

quote:

was also carefully crafted to sync up perfectly with the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz.
They said it's available now at all participating digital retailers and there's going to be a vinyl pressing of only 100 copies to be distributed to friends and family of the band.

It's most likely an April Fool's joke :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh Wayne, what are you doing? :negative:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can't really comprehend this. It has to be a joke.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
It's streaming on Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/theflaminglipsofficial/flaming-side-of-the-moon

This is all very confusing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Creature posted:

It's streaming on Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/theflaminglipsofficial/flaming-side-of-the-moon

This is all very confusing.
Oh wait, it's actually a real thing?

Hahahahahaha, what?! :psyduck:

Playing this during DSOTM would probably be a very bizarre experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It fits the Lips perfectly that they would make an April Fool's Joke that is an actual real thing and not just a fake album title.

edit: Also, it's really good, but you can tell they just got hosed up and hung out in the studio loving around. Has anyone tried syncing it up yet, because that's the part I don't really buy.

edit2: OK wait this is syncing up really well actually

precision fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 31, 2014

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Speak To Me/Breathe is already super cool.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
if you look at Kliph's twitter he's basically said he's out of the Lips

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That's a major bummer for me because I have always thought the drumming on the Lips' latest releases have been inspirational. Legitimately, Embryonic is one of the best albums because of Kliph (or Steven???)

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c7562ab266/flaming-side-of-the-moon-studio-session

That's Matt Duckworth from Stardeath drumming, so yeah, Kliph was kicked out of the band.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e1ff526fc0/michael-bay-s-yoshimi-battles-the-pink-robots-trailer

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo hahahaha

Jesus, how many of these things did they do today? Was it like Flaming Lips Day over at FOD?

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a5c3a11daa/fred-armisen-joins-the-flaming-lips

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Goddamn it I want this to be real so bad.

Also though, Jesus Christ Wayne looks like poo poo these days. Don't die Wayne. :ohdear:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

precision posted:

Goddamn it I want this to be real so bad.

Also though, Jesus Christ Wayne looks like poo poo these days. Don't die Wayne. :ohdear:

It's just all that fuzz on him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought it was a Wayne impersonator at first because the hair looked the same but the face didn't :ohdear:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

A couple of people who I'm guessing are pretty close to the band seem to have left comments on this Brooklyn Vegan article about what's been going on with Wayne and Kliph. Don't really have any concrete proof that they're true, but it's the most plausible theory I've seen online:

quote:

Kliph wasn't fired for calling Wayne out on his midlife crisis b.s. (although if anyone in that band had the nuts to bring it up to Wayne, it would be Kliph!) He was fired for taking a stand against Wayne's new buddy - the daughter of OK's tea-bagging, homophobe governor Mary Fallin - when she donned a Native headdress for a racist publicity stunt. When Kliph called her out on social media for being a shithead to the Oklahoma Native community who complained about her headdress publicity stunt, she tattled on him to Wayne. Wayne actually told Kliph he was fired for insulting Fallin publicly. On a kinda-related note, word from Wayne's inner circle is that he was so geeked about getting an invite to Governor Teabagger's mansion for a party with a bunch of 20-something Republican hipster wannabes (friends of the Gov's daughter) that he was practically begging his band mates to go with, an invite that everyone else in the band felt was pretty lame and to which everyone else declined. Not Wayne tho. He and Fallin are pretty tight...he recently posted an even more offensive picture of his dog wearing an authentic looking Native headdress in response to the Oklahoma Native community's backlash against Fallin for her headdress stunt. No one in the band dares speak out on this one bc they have families to support and Wayne has bogarted all the Flaming Lips earnings and keeps them all on a pretty short financial leash. He is like the innocent little boy in Citizen Kane that just eventually went bad...it just happens to some people. He is now a full fledged, desperate-for-attention, shameless, tasteless fool. Who is smack dab in the midst of a midlife crisis...his glittery makeup is something his 20-year old girlfriend makes him do!

quote:

He wasn't exactly busted for cheating. Another Wayne semi-friend here who knows what he's turning into but not in a position to really talk about it openly bc too many nice people could be negatively affected. Case in point: Kliph (although KS spoke up himself and only about that Fallin idiot, but I don't think he ever thought Wayne would punish him for it!) Wayne wasn't busted for cheating though. Word among friends is that he just called his wife one day and said "Hey don't come home; I have a girlfriend I've been seeing for a while and I just want to hang out with her." I hear so much buzz amongst that circle that his gf Katy has a lot to do with his changes. People tried to tell Wayne's friends to warn him about her before she dug into him too far, but they were all like not concerned at all...and now are like, "poo poo." Apparently, Katy Weaver's own friends claim that before she started dating Wayne she set a goal to land either Wayne Coyne or one of the Thunder players, and it was just easier to get an audience with WC...she's just a local bimbo climber with nothing to offer the world except her semi-pretty face. It seems like a pretty sad situation that, since dating her, he has declined in all positive areas and skyrocketed in really embarrassing ones. I'm not surprised at all that the glitter is her doing. So sad. It's crazy that a guy like Wayne is letting the Christina Fallin types guide him in what is cool. Too bad Drozd has to be associated with this poo poo.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/04/the_flaming_lip_21.html

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
That really sucks.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I could tell just by the little bit of reading I've done that Wayne was in a bad place, but if he fired Kliph for that then that's horrible. Hoping it's not true but I'm betting it is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"Don't come home" is a brutally loving cold-blooded way to end your marriage, goddamn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What a terrible loving reason to kick someone out of a band, especially a member who's been with the band for years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This sounds like a great time for Steven Drozd to do a solo album.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Or for Drozd and Ivins to go start a new band. Wayne can hire his stoner nephew and his bandmates or just collaborate with teeny boppers or something. He sounds like an awful person now.

He used to seem pretty cool :smith:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jesus Christ, who cares about Wayne Coyne's personal life? The Lips put out two awesome records recently, The Terror and the Peace Sword EP. As long as they're still making music that good and not like, committing actual crimes, I couldn't give less of a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This whole debacle upsets me so much because the Terror was so loving good. So it's not like Wayne's bullshit has made the band incapable of producing any more great music. He just needs to stop being so up his own rear end and shut his goddamn mouth.

• Locked thread