Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Apart from the split, it's probably because after about 2001 Indycars and Champcars combined for ten consecutive years of absolutely dogshit racing product.

As for running to NASCAR, I'm just wary of any scenario that involves DMG taking over Indycar. Apart from them murdering AMA, (and I really do not have high hopes for new new USRC after Daytona and Sebring) this would result in Daytona owning every single major aspect of US motorsport apart from, like, GRC or some poo poo, which would be bad out of principle.

2002 was the last good CART year, but otherwise agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So Will Power is officially in the clear on the first restart at St. Pete, but not the 2nd one!

http://racer.com/indycar/item/102361-indycar-no-slowdown-on-st-petersburg-s-controversial-restart-walker-says

quote:

"We all thought that first restart looked very slow but, after looking at the replays and car data following the race, there was no brake checking by Will or slowing down," said Walker, IndyCar's president of competition and operations. "He brought the field down at the pace car speed and accelerated exactly where he was supposed to and it was a good restart. And Johnny (Rutherford, pace car driver) did exactly as we asked him and pulled off late.

"He accelerated too soon on the second one and earned himself a warning," said Walker. "Had the race continued and he did it again, we would have penalized him."

I'm sure Power intentionally accelerated early because of what happened on the first restart, so I can only :laffo: that they gave him a warning for the 2nd restart

Also I really wish I had an extra $25k laying around so I can buy this

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 1, 2014

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CactusWeasle posted:

If he did go, IndyCar would probably penalize him for going before the restart zone, because IndyCar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

animeliker posted:

2002 was the last good CART year, but otherwise agreed.

2002 had a semi-decent grid but I remember the racing that year being pretty poor- if I remember right, there was a lot of contention about them allowing traction control that year.

2002 IRL was actually decent- the 1999-2002 cars were pretty nice oval open-wheelers. The 2003-2011 cars were the worst cars I've ever seen.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

NASCAR earned their fanbase in the 90's by having a great product.

period.

They had some great personalities, some unique tracks, and really connected with the auto racing fan at the the time.

I would not understand why one would be a recent convert though.

Honestly? I know people at work who watch it because they're in a fantasy NASCAR league. No other reason.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

2002 had a semi-decent grid but I remember the racing that year being pretty poor- if I remember right, there was a lot of contention about them allowing traction control that year.

2002 IRL was actually decent- the 1999-2002 cars were pretty nice oval open-wheelers. The 2003-2011 cars were the worst cars I've ever seen.

The 2002 Indy 500 grid is the type of grid that if it had existed from '96-'99? We're likely not complaining about the problems we're having right now.

2000-2002 was what should have happened those years. A CART-IRL rivalry that would have met and settled things on the track at May would have been rather cool to see.

I don't think "The Split" would have been a bad thing necessarily if it had transpired that way.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

The 2002 Indy 500 grid is the type of grid that if it had existed from '96-'99? We're likely not complaining about the problems we're having right now.

2000-2002 was what should have happened those years. A CART-IRL rivalry that would have met and settled things on the track at May would have been rather cool to see.

I don't think "The Split" would have been a bad thing necessarily if it had transpired that way.

That would have been the poo poo. A CART/IRL set up like a National and American Leauge, with minor variations in rules and style for each respective league, with a World Series of sorts involving the 500.

Total pipe dream, and probably wouldn't have worked. But cool to think about.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I liked 2002 but I was also pretty young at the time and I loved both the B02/00 and Da Matta, so it was good for me. But yeah he did stomp the field. The quality of the field dropped markedly after that. I don't know if you were watching CART/Champ car after 2002 - I did all the way to 2007. Bad times.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think that was one of the ideas floated about during the split, have two cars close in spec, two separate leagues, with a handful of races where they'd run together.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grayly Squirrel posted:

That would have been the poo poo. A CART/IRL set up like a National and American Leauge, with minor variations in rules and style for each respective league, with a World Series of sorts involving the 500.

Total pipe dream, and probably wouldn't have worked. But cool to think about.

Ideally you'd have the IRL as the league for teams looking to get into racing, but would not have had the budget to run the entire CART schedule.

Team like Menards, Panther, AJ Foyt, Treadway, Pagan, etc. They'd exclusively run ovals, and would pretty much sign talent that would perhaps have trouble staying in a consistent CART seat (Goodyear, Cheever, Arie), Young guys who maybe got overlooked in the CART ladder system (Hornish, Wheldon), and of course USAC guys that had been unable to land a seat under the old way of doing things (Smoke, Davey Hamilton).

I was thinking that perhaps they all would run the Menards engines with a Dallara designed to compete against the CART cars.

CART? Would have remained as is. They could have continued to attempt to go International, and would have been designed for the Roger Penske's and Chip Ganassi's of the world. People who would have been willing to spend money and play the role of auto racing's 1%.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I will say, even though I hate the IRL, that the sheer amount of entries (particularly in 1996) was cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

It completely baffles me that people would rather watch NASCAR over IndyCar. IndyCars are faster, higher tech, better looking (imo), and require more skill to drive.

The only reasons I can think of are that they can bump and that they are simpler for Americans to understand.

Just a reminder that in the heyday of Indy, there were cars that were powered by turbines, four wheel drive, and had wings. Stuff that made the F1 guys at the time stop and stare. Americans can understand technology just fine*, we just think that basing a series around technology as a way to mask poo poo racing is pretentious as gently caress.

Also, climb around and underneath a modern Cup car, considering the box teams are painted into, Cup cars are every bit as advanced as anything else. They are built like a Swiss watch. Yeah, it's old tech, but it's refined to the point of insanity.

Also, the skill to drive thing? Anyone wanna say what I'm thinking at the moment? :laugh:

*we did go to the moon, that was a thing that happened

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 1, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

animeliker posted:

I will say, even though I hate the IRL, that the sheer amount of entries (particularly in 1996) was cool.

They were using year old chassis and engines that the CART teams cast off so there was plenty of cheap equipment, and Tony George was literally paying teams cash to roll out cars in May, a practice that didn't stop until like 2008.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

and Tony George was literally paying teams cash to roll out cars in May, a practice that didn't stop until like 2008.

I did not know that, thanks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://podcasts.indycar.com/races/033014%20St%20Pete%20VICS%20Race%20Podcast.mp3

DELTA. FORCE.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

I cannot find a smily, gif, youtube video, or image macro appropriate enough to convey how loving happy this makes me

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
This was so good I just reloaded it to listen to the intro again

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

all is right in the world

Paul Page, never go away again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://racer.com/indycar/item/102371-indycar-paul-tracy-joins-nbcsn-broadcast-team

gently caress yeah! "The Thrill from West Hill"!

Now, if we can only get Dario moved up there? We may have something.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Already posted yesterday, but still exciting

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Double post, but whatever.

Sounds like any chance of F1 at Long Beach is dead, at least until 2019

Combine this with the fact that the people in charge of the Australian GP are considering switching to IndyCar from F1 and this could be a huge dagger to F1.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 3, 2014

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

KingShibby posted:

Double post, but whatever.

Sounds like any chance of F1 at Long Beach is dead

Combine this with the fact that the people in charge of the Australian GP are considering switching to IndyCar from F1 and this could be a huge dagger to F1.

Yeah fat chance of IndyCars replacing F1 anywhere.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

Thank god, those F1 tracks are just awful.

Although the rumors of IndyCar going to those lovely desert tracks just wont die.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If some oil prince wants to throw indycar a few mil, they'd take it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Indy being back in Australia would definitely be a good thing.

Especially since we have Will Power, Ryan Briscoe and Scott Dixon to push on them versus say, 1997 when we didn't.

At least give Melbourne a poke.

e: gently caress. Just imagine if we could have gotten an extra race in Canada with Hinch now being as legit as he is, and if Motegi was back with Sato-san looking beastly.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 3, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

KingShibby posted:

As if taking Australia away from F1 would cause a minor blip in anything. Be cool to race there but it's just crying and bitching over something that can't be fixed and they'll live with it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If anything replaces F1 in Australia it will be a single V48 engine that revs to 25000 rpm, and people will stand around it gawking.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Look whose ugly mug showed up today!

I did lol at the numbers on my bronze badges (10 & 11)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have yet to buy my tickets, i'm hoping I can drink the for entire month of may free this year to include the race itself. Our vendors better pull through, this is the last year i'll be able to do it up right.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the Toronto double header again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pruett's got an interesting wrap-up article from St. Pete posted. Apparently Honda is using a strange brute force psuedo-anti-lag system, with a little cylinder deactivation to boot. Very odd/cool.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/102446-pruett-st-petersburg-indycar-analysis

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

devmd01 posted:

I have yet to buy my tickets, i'm hoping I can drink the for entire month of may free this year to include the race itself. Our vendors better pull through, this is the last year i'll be able to do it up right.

Actually really want to go to the GP this year.

As stupidly gimmicky as it sounds, it looks like you'll get a decent view of the track at some places, and it looks like fun.

Has anyone else's opinion changed on that race as well?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I actually hate the idea of it more now then I did when I first heard of it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've hated it since it was announced. I'd rather watch them race around Monument Circle downtown than that loving awful road course.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
It's a very lackluster course. The whole "sanctity of the month of May" thing doesn't bother me, but like others have said, it's not a fun track. Pigeonholed road courses in ovals rarely are. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but Road America, Watkins Glen, and Laguna Seca. Any of those instead pretty please.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm almost 100% sure that the only two road courses in an oval that are worth a poo poo are Daytona and New Hampshire.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

On one hand, I don't think it will do much for 500 ticket sales or TV ratings or any of that, one way OR the other.

On the other hand, its by far the cheapest and easiest way to add a race to a season that was too short and too heavy on street circuits with the double headers. So from that perspective, its not so bad.

Hopefully the changes they made to the track speed it up and make it more interesting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Pocono one is rad in iRacing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

It's a very lackluster course. The whole "sanctity of the month of May" thing doesn't bother me, but like others have said, it's not a fun track. Pigeonholed road courses in ovals rarely are. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but Road America, Watkins Glen, and Laguna Seca. Any of those instead pretty please.

Right, but just as an event for the Month of May? It's appealing.

It's another weekend to be at the track IMO. My dad actually really wants to go.

I agree I'd love nothing more to than to see RA, WG and LS.

But..this gives me another race/event to attend, and that's a good thing. (Indy, Mid Ohio and Belle Isle are the only tracks within a decent driving distance now that Kentucky and MIS are not on the calender).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

But..this gives me another race/event to attend, and that's a good thing. (Indy, Mid Ohio and Belle Isle are the only tracks within a decent driving distance now that Kentucky and MIS are not on the calender).

If Indy wasn't such a long drive and in the middle of lacrosse season I'd go to the GP as well. I honestly think everyone should reserve judgement on the Indy GP until after the race. There's no way to know just how good/bad the revamped layout of the road course is until we've seen a race on it.

Also for the love of God bring back a race at MIS

• Locked thread