Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know what'd be a great character arc for Bane in Arkham Knight? If he got over his Venom/TITAN addiction and just fought Batman with his normal strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
They kind of borked Bane in this series I thought, isn't he just a weak old man without it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think that's only when he's completely drained of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ravenicus posted:

They kind of borked Bane in this series I thought, isn't he just a weak old man without it?

Bane isn't actively using venom in AO until he actively turns the system on during the first bossfight. He's already at superstrength levels due to his long-term exposue to the stuf. Weak, shriveled Bane in AA is the result of the exposure to TN-1 and the extended Titan precursor experiments.

Bane has been borked in just about every depiction in every medium. It doesn't help that the original version of the character in the comics is and has always been Gary Stu: the villain.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know what'd be a great character arc for Bane in Arkham Knight? If he got over his Venom/TITAN addiction and just fought Batman with his normal strength.

Jesus Christ I thought City's ears were bad

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, one thing I hope doesn't make a return in Arkham Knight, though it probably will? AR Challenges. gently caress AR Challenges. They sucked in City, they suck in Origins, and they sucked in Superman 64.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why does Batman fly through those AR rings, anyway? What is the purpose? Do they help him practice his gliding or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why does Batman fly through those AR rings, anyway? What is the purpose? Do they help him practice his gliding or something?

Yes, it's specifically gliding training. Alfred radios him about it.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bruce is a high functioning autistic like Ulillillia and the AR rings are part of his mind game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

catlord posted:

Ok, one thing I hope doesn't make a return in Arkham Knight, though it probably will? AR Challenges. gently caress AR Challenges. They sucked in City, they suck in Origins, and they sucked in Superman 64.

They've already described the Batmobile racing challenges that are going to annoy and frustrate me to no end. yay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They help the player practice theirs. I know after I completed the AR challenges I found fine control of gliding throughout the rest of the game far, far easier.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They were just referencing beloved superhero games of the past.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
gently caress that AR training in Amusement Mile/The Steel Mill. You know the one. You had to hit the tunnel just right. I don't even remember the payoff for beating the second round. Must have been really worth it. :rolleye:

E: For as awesome the reward for the first round is, you'd think you'd get something for that second round. What were they thinking?

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 1, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mogomra posted:

gently caress that AR training in Amusement Mile/The Steel Mill. You know the one. You had to hit the tunnel just right. I don't even remember the payoff for beating the second round. Must have been really worth it. :rolleye:

There is no reward. Just the knowledge that you're batnificent.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And you always finally get that one when you've just loving given up and aren't even really trying anymore.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You get a character trophy of the Batwing in addition to the achievement for doing all the AR drills.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

They help the player practice theirs. I know after I completed the AR challenges I found fine control of gliding throughout the rest of the game far, far easier.

The problem with this being, of course, that precision gliding is rarely if ever needed for 99.9% of any part of the game, ever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Phylodox posted:

And you always finally get that one when you've just loving given up and aren't even really trying anymore.

I can't remember the specifics, but that's actually for a reason- the difficulty of that challenge is that you only need to fight the azimuth autocorrect a tiny amount to even out inside the tunnel.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

precision posted:

The problem with this being, of course, that precision gliding is rarely if ever needed for 99.9% of any part of the game, ever.

90 percent of the cool poo poo you can do isn't needed. You can also get by the combat sections just mashing square and triangle, but then you aren't really Batman. :colbert:

The one at the steel mill was a bit much though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

precision posted:

Batman prepares for everything no matter how unlikely he is to use it. You think that Adam West carried that Bat Shark Repellant around for the hell of it? :colbert:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Minor-ish Arkham Knight Plot Spoiler: Despite my efforts to try and avoid media about it, there's a Guardian article about Arkham Knight which mentions Arkham Knight takes place 12 years after Arkham City. This is definitely not something I was expecting and hopefully will provide an opportunity for some great characterization.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Minor-ish Arkham Knight Plot Spoiler: Despite my efforts to try and avoid media about it, there's a Guardian article about Arkham Knight which mentions Arkham Knight takes place 12 years after Arkham City. This is definitely not something I was expecting and hopefully will provide an opportunity for some great characterization.
Except that Sefton Hill has been shown on camera saying it takes place only one year later.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

redbackground posted:

Except that Sefton Hill has been shown on camera saying it takes place only one year later.

Derp. I haven't watched any video or interviews. Either the Guardian writer wrote "years" when they meant to write "months" or I just got April fooled.

:argh:Guardian:argh:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Either the Guardian writer wrote "years" when they meant to write "months"
Gotta be.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Yay more snowy Gotham.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If they have Origins' snow physics I'd be happy with that. Drop kicking a goon and watching them displace snow as they get shunted across a rooftop was wonderful.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Isn't Blackgate Deluxe out today? I looked at Steam and its still not there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trickjaw posted:

Isn't Blackgate Deluxe out today? I looked at Steam and its still not there.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/267490/?snr=1_4_4__106_1

It says pre-purchase, but it also says it's out today.

April Fool's?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I was thinking it was waiting for America to fully wake up (In UK here)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trickjaw posted:

I was thinking it was waiting for America to fully wake up (In UK here)

Steam usually rolls over about 13h00 EST...but, I dunno, maybe they made a mistake like that time DuckTales came out and it didn't go up for sale for some people right away?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I honestly thought the game coming out on the PC was the April Fools joke. :shrug:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I have watched a few videos of it, and not sold. They are selling it for £15 in the UK, so its not exactly a top hole offering. They should have just chucked it in with the GOTY version, which has to be coming soon.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Little review of Arkham Blackgate Deluxe so far: (no spoilers and played for about 3-4 hours)

I'm a massive Batman fan and bought Arkham Blackgate Deluxe on steam. I had tried it on the 3DS but wasn't too fond of it, but the promise of a better map, graphics and controls (ability to use a 360 controller) drew me into trying the deluxe edition.

The game isn't completely terrible, but I have to admit I wouldn't be playing it if it wasn't Batman. The graphics are improved over the 3DS, but don't compete with modern PC graphics. I forgive this because it was a portable game being made available for PC.

The map is improved (it was pretty useless in the 3DS) but it's still hard to use and with the screen turning constantly as you go around corners you become pretty disorientated fast. I've spent a fair amount of time completely lost so far, which isn't fun. Honestly they should have made a map which rotates with you.

Combat is disappointing. It's close to being okay, but just falls short. It's probably the most disappointing thing in the game for me because it probably wouldn't have taken all that much more effort to make it fantastic. It has the beatdown (cape stun, then mash hit) which works good. Countering is much like the other Arkham games. They even have the ground pound move if the enemy is knocked to the floor. What made it disappointing is there seems to be no special moves (like pressing Y + B, A + B on the 360 controller when your combo gets high). The thing is, the combo count changes color as if it's ready to do a special move, but I couldn't get any special moves to work so I'm presuming they're not in the game.

In the other Arkham games once you get your combo high enough, you can point the move stick towards a nearby enemy and hit 'x' to automatically move close to the enemy and hit him. In this game, you will not move far at all, and instead Batman will just kick air (breaking your combo, which doesn't seem to matter except if you're trying to reach the high combo achievements from what I can tell).

The predator sections seem reasonably good. They work, and for what was a portable game I'd say they're decent enough.

The cutscenes look horrible. They looked bad on the 3DS, and being enlarged for a PC screen does them no favors. I don't know if it's just my taste, but the art looks amateur at best.

Unless you're a diehard Batman fan don't buy it for its current steam price. Even then, I'd encourage you to wait for a price drop if you can. If you really want to play it, wait for a steam sale. It would make an okay $5 purchase.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Maybe a crap April fool, maybe not.
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/21178/article/batman-arkham-knight-plot-twist-possibly-leaked-demo-audio-discovered/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I concur with everything Keeku says, with the addendum that playing on hard is a Very Bad Idea. The hit windows aren't given clear cues ingame, so you really need to rely on the counter indicators- which are removed on Hard. The tutorial "boss", which takes two hits, killed me three times before I passed.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

The Best Buy Tweet clearly typo-wrote "Bruce" instead of "Thomas" as the Tweet talks about driving the Batmobile and protecting the city from villains (i.e., the basic premise of the game) which if actually a "twist" would be something like "LOL you weren't even playing as Bruce Wayne you were playing as Damian even when we called him Bruce gotcha!!!!" Also the site seems shocked that they may have news that this might be Rocksteady's last Batman game, something that has been rock solid fact since early March.

Gamejournalism.txt

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
It's only their "last" until someone comes along and offers them eight bazillion dollars for another sequel.

Unrelatedly I was playing Tomb Raider yesterday and I realized a lot of the stuff in that game is a direct copy of Arkham gameplay, the funniest is Lara has her own Batclaw with rope arrows, and she can even attach it to stuff to pull it off/down, even the animations for it look similar to Batman.

Lara Croft would admittedly make a pretty good Batman, though.

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 3, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Excels posted:

Lara Croft would admittedly make a pretty good Red Hood, though.

I fixed that for you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Guys guys. Damien isn't Bruce's only son.

Arkham:Beyond confirmed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Discendo Vox posted:

I concur with everything Keeku says, with the addendum that playing on hard is a Very Bad Idea. The hit windows aren't given clear cues ingame, so you really need to rely on the counter indicators- which are removed on Hard. The tutorial "boss", which takes two hits, killed me three times before I passed.

The combat in general is pretty garbage. The one on one bosses are kinda fun but the crowds of goons are a chore. I've had like half my cape attacks whiff for no good reason because there's no visual tell if an enemy is within striking range or not. That said, I beat it this morning and it was a decent enough Metroidvania. Nowhere near Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night/Shadow Complex obviously, but not terrible.

Has anyone figured out how to unlock all the Batsuits yet? Four are tied to item pickups and which boss you fight last, but that leaves three or four more. One unlocked after I beat the game but I don't know if that was boss dependent or based on difficulty or what.

• Locked thread