Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Get a Nexus 5. It's unlocked and should work on most GSM networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PurpleJesus posted:

Get a Nexus 5. It's unlocked and should work on most GSM networks.

This needs to be in the OP, prefaced with "I NEED A PHONE THAT..."

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Here's what I need in a phone:

-Works on AT&T or Verizon (my current location has only those two providers)
-Travels well (I may soon move to Thailand for an extended stay and don't want to buy a new phone again there)
-Android
-Prepaid (I won't do cell contracts)

This means I should get a Galaxy S4 or S5 right? I currently have an assy Motorola of some sort grandfathered on Virgins 25/month plan but don't live in NYC any more so that does me no good.

If I wait until the S5 is officially out (the 11th) can I expect prices to come down much on the S4?

Can I chose my number somehow on Simple Talk or should I just cave and Google Voice it so I can participate more fully in being datamined every which way but loose.

2gb is enough to dick around on awful app and maybe watch YouTube videos sometimes right?

Is buying a used phone dumb?

Is buying an AT&T locked phone ok and will I be able to easily unlock it later?

Buy a Nexus 5 or Moto X. Both can be purchased unlocked for under $400. If you're hard up for cash, a Moto G can be had for ~$200.

Get a Gvoice number if you don't already have one, that way next time you come back to the US your number won't have changed. Also while you're abroad you can use your Gvoice number as your US contact number for banks, or whatever poo poo you need to do in the US. They can leave you a voicemail and you can call them back when you feel like it.

AIO has been lauded as having very good customer service, in fact I switched to them about a month ago and having mostly good things to say as opposed to the poo poo show that other prepaid carriers are. $45/mo (if you enable the auto pay, $50 otherwise) gets you unlimited minutes/SMS and 2.5 GB of LTE/3G data (throttled to 8/4 mbps respectively) which is quite sufficient for awful.apk, maps, email, and YouTubering.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 2, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SB35 posted:

Buy a Nexus 5 or Moto X. Both can be purchased unlocked for under $400. If you're hard up for cash, a Moto G can be had for ~$200.

Get a Gvoice number if you don't already have one, that way next time you come back to the US your number won't have changed. Also while you're abroad you can use your Gvoice number as your US contact number for banks, or whatever poo poo you need to do in the US. They can leave you a voicemail and you can call them back when you feel like it.

AIO has been lauded as having very good customer service, in fact I switched to them about a month ago and having mostly good things to say as opposed to the poo poo show that other prepaid carriers are. $45/mo (if you enable the auto pay, $50 otherwise) gets you unlimited minutes/SMS and 2.5 GB of LTE/3G data (throttled to 8/4 mbps respectively) which is quite sufficient for awful.apk, maps, email, and YouTubering.

Or $35 for 500mb which afterwards gets slowed down instead of being completely cut off.

Speaking of, can anyone speak to the usability of the 'slowed down' speeds? Will Pandora still work?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Or $35 for 500mb which afterwards gets slowed down instead of being completely cut off.

Speaking of, can anyone speak to the usability of the 'slowed down' speeds? Will Pandora still work?

I'll let you know. Gf is going to go over her 500mb pretty soon here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SB35 posted:

I looked into the Nexus 5 and what I read about it said that it's unlikely to work overseas. Was that incorrect?

The last thing I want is to land and have a brick. Also the better camera on the Galaxy S along with the removable/replaceable SD card and battery can be pretty important if you're traveling in areas without access to a data cloud or electricity at only certain times of the day.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 2, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I looked into the Nexus 5 and what I read about it said that it's unlikely to work overseas. Was that incorrect?

The last thing I want is to land and have a brick. Also the better camera on the Galaxy S along with the removable/replaceable SD card and battery can be pretty important if you're traveling in areas without access to a data cloud or electricity at only certain times of the day.

The Nexus 5 works overseas, it just depends on what carrier you're going to be on.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Not sure if it helps, but I had a Nexus 4 (international) in Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, NZ and Australia and it worked great.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

The N5 will most certainly work overseas. Thai carriers DTAC and Truemove both use LTE band 1 and the Nexus 5 (both versions D820, D821) supports band 1. You won't have a brick. The North American version will work just fine in most countries, it just has CDMA for Sprint and a few different LTE bands (i.e. No LTE support for China or Cambodia)

As far as the battery and SD card, well, that's a choice you'll have to make. But think about all the people you know with iPhones, they seem to get along alright without user swappable batteries. And how often to you really take that SD card out of your phone? Are you sure 32GB isn't enough? Do you wanna spend $700 for an S5 or $450 for an N5?

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 2, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks all, the Nexus 5 looks pretty good now. I grit my teeth a little at no removable battery or SD card but there are ways to deal with it.

The Nexus 5 can't connect to my portable hard drive to play movies off of it / use it for storage, can it?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Thanks all, the Nexus 5 looks pretty good now. I grit my teeth a little at no removable battery or SD card but there are ways to deal with it.

The Nexus 5 can't connect to my portable hard drive to play movies off of it / use it for storage, can it?

Looks like it can

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Consider encoding your animes into a smaller format. You should be able to fit many hours or days of video into 32GB. Far more than your battery can handle.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I will never downcode Hiruko ;_;

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

But what if he's on the road a lot and might need hours of anime.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So, remember when I said I'd try to get down to below my 5GB data bucket? Yeah...that didn't happen.

Apparently, the most I ever use, with streaming Google Play Music All Access every single time I leave the house, with playing YouTube in HD, and playing Puzzle and Dragons, I only use about 4GB. :v:

I shall try again!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

So, remember when I said I'd try to get down to below my 5GB data bucket? Yeah...that didn't happen.

Apparently, the most I ever use, with streaming Google Play Music All Access every single time I leave the house, with playing YouTube in HD, and playing Puzzle and Dragons, I only use about 4GB. :v:

I shall try again!

Torrent animes on your phone, then you will know why people still cling to Sprint with bonus knowledge of why people need removable batteries and SD cards on their phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Torrent animes on your phone, then you will know why people still cling to Sprint with bonus knowledge of why people need removable batteries and SD cards on their phone.

Hahaha...I clung to Sprint only because I was tied via contract. I wanted out so bad when the Galaxy Nexus hit. :( It was like a hostage situation and I was forced to give them money every month or they'd set me free and take even MORE money.

I'd say all I need is a 32GB phone so I can fill it with pictures and video of my vacation plans this year. I still refuse to go back to SD cards.

A removable battery would be nice though... Still remember my Nexus S 4G dropping from chest height to a concrete sidewalk with enough force to hit the ground, pop the back off, throw the battery out...screen and phone itself were absolutely fuckin' fine. Didn't even need to replace the battery or back. Pretty sure it's because the force was taken mostly by that removable back.

Do that to a Nexus 4, 5, One...I dare you. Of course, the 4 would shatter into microscopic pieces that you'd need the Hubble to see. Never buying a glass phone again.

As for forcing myself to go over my data, I guess I can stream podcasts on Pocket Casts instead of downloading.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

As for forcing myself to go over my data, I guess I can stream podcasts on Pocket Casts instead of downloading.

Won't work. I have to listen at 1.7x speed to keep up with all the history/tech/comedy poo poo I subscribe to and I'm fairly sure it isn't enough.

E: I was wrong, I apparently use between 8 and 11 GB of wifi monthly on pocketcasts alone.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 2, 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FAUXTON posted:

The first time you travel on a 10+ hour flight, you want both of those things.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SB35 posted:

I'll let you know. Gf is going to go over her 500mb pretty soon here.

I'm also interested in what AIO's throttled speeds are. Can run a speed test once the limit is reached?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Yeah, in a laptop.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TLG James posted:

I fly first class to Asia :smuggo:
Or read a book and sleep in the cattle compartment.

How many ten hour flights do you realistically take that you need to watch anime for a full ten hours then get off the plane and go for a full day of phone usage?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

I fly first class to Asia :smuggo:
Or read a book and sleep in the cattle compartment.

How many ten hour flights do you realistically take that you need to watch anime for a full ten hours then get off the plane and go for a full day of phone usage?

My question is why concern yourself with small screen content for that long when you're free to bring a larger screen. Generally you know you're flying long enough ahead of time to grab your computer, or even your tablet. Demanding dozens of battery hours and hundreds of gigabytes of storage from a five-inch screen just seems like AS-level obsession with the idea of the mobile phone as opposed to task fulfillment. You can get shitloads of battery life and storage on a mobile phone, but it's going to damage aesthetics, ergonomics, maybe even functional performance. However, keep the phone in the phone role and bring something more closely designed to your demands as-is.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Why is it always anime?

Jesus. Do you guys realize how easy it is to drain a battery if you're using gps constantly? I drained a battery in like 5 hours around chicago, using Google maps and public transportation. It is so nice to pop in a fresh battery for the train home. Not to mention the fact that it seems like in 15 months or so, I seem to lose 10% of the battery capacity.

You don't need poo poo loads of battery life when you can buy a 3 pack for 15 bucks on amazon. Laptop battery is even worse.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Why is it always anime?

Jesus. Do you guys realize how easy it is to drain a battery if you're using gps constantly? I drained a battery in like 5 hours around chicago, using Google maps and public transportation. It is so nice to pop in a fresh battery for the train home. Not to mention the fact that it seems like in 15 months or so, I seem to lose 10% of the battery capacity.

You don't need poo poo loads of battery life when you can buy a 3 pack for 15 bucks on amazon. Laptop battery is even worse.

Not sure why it's always anime but it probably has to do with it being less likely that someone loads a phone with 64 GB of Seinfeld reruns than they load it with 64 GB of cartoons.

The GPS question, however, is intriguing. I spent 5 hours taking pictures at the SAC museum, preceded by breakfast and an hour of Spotify (off-charger since Dad wanted to charge his phone) in my car on the way there. I was down to around 15%. How much of your day in Chicago was spent with the screen on?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I picked up an Anker battery pack that recharges my phone about 1.5 times for like $15. The slightly bigger one that does 3 full charges costs like $25. Neither is so expensive that I would consider an inferior phone just to get a removable battery. Granted, recharging is slower than just swapping out the batt.

I broke 5 gb in a month with Netflix streaming. It's something like 3/4 gb in an hour and a half. Play a few movies and you're over pretty quickly.

It's always anime because, face it, we're talking about goons, here.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm porting out of the tmobile dork plan to AIO. I feel like this has come up before, but is the account number just my 10 digit phone number? And is the password/pin my tmo login password or my voice mail pin? Thanks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Saint Fu posted:

I'm porting out of the tmobile dork plan to AIO. I feel like this has come up before, but is the account number just my 10 digit phone number? And is the password/pin my tmo login password or my voice mail pin? Thanks

It's typically a different PIN, some places use your SSN, other places parts of your mobile number, I would ask the T-Mobile thread.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
For anyone else following this path, I was able to change the PIN by calling 611. According to some google searches, the account number is 1 + your 10 digit number.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
The account number is just your phone number, no 1 in front or anything. The pin is the one you chose when you signed up for T-Mobile; I believe it's unrelated to voicemail.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So my wife and I are finally wanting to get off of AT&T's crappy pricing plan since an old roommate left my plan and the bill has gone up significantly. Right now I guess we are looking at Straight Talk for $45/month per phone which is pretty sweet. Right now she is still under contract, so we would have to pay the ETF. So how hard of a process is it to switch over exactly? Could someone give me a primer on how to do this? And is Straight Talk a decent provider?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Etrips posted:

So my wife and I are finally wanting to get off of AT&T's crappy pricing plan since an old roommate left my plan and the bill has gone up significantly. Right now I guess we are looking at Straight Talk for $45/month per phone which is pretty sweet. Right now she is still under contract, so we would have to pay the ETF. So how hard of a process is it to switch over exactly? Could someone give me a primer on how to do this? And is Straight Talk a decent provider?

Straight Talk is NOT a decent provider. You're honestly better off with AT&T's MVNO, AIO Wireless instead of ST.

As for switching over, it shouldn't be too hard of a process. Call AIO, tell them you want to port your number from AT&T and they should be able to help you from there.

Seriously, do NOT go to Straight Talk. It's not worth it.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Etrips posted:

If you're sticking to AT&T's network, I'd recommend AIO over ST. If you set up prepay, you'd still be paying $45 for 2.5GB of LTE data per line and in my experience, the customer service is excellent.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Whoa didn't realize that! I will definitely get AIO checked out. How do I go abouts saving our phone number? Do I have to pay the ETF > sign up for AIO > ???

Edit: Also since we both have iPhone 4s', we need to get a microsim?

Etrips fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 7, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Etrips posted:

Whoa didn't realize that! I will definitely get AIO checked out. How do I go abouts saving our phone number? Do I have to pay the ETF > sign up for AIO > ???

You'll want to keep the account active with AT&T. If it lapses, you lose the number. Don't do anything with the ETF just yet (you may have to pay anyway), but you need to call AIO first, let them know you want to port from AT&T, then you'll most likely have to provide your account number and PIN from AT&T, then it'll be set up from there.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Etrips posted:

To call AIO:
I switched from Straight Talk and for some reason I received errors each time I tried so I had to call the special port Aio number. When I finally broke down and called it, everything worked out. I got a nice, helpful guy who emailed me a form to fill out my port info, and then he sent me a free Aio SIM. Then when I received it (two days later from 2 day UPS) I had to email him back.

The number you should call is 1-800-370-9687. It is not listed on their website anywhere unless you get the unable to port error when trying to sign up online. When I called it, it did not seem to have a automated machine or anything, so I had to call back 3 times and let it ring for 30 seconds to over a minute for anyone to answer. A real person should answer and be able to set you up. Good luck.

and yes, MicroSIM is what you need. Your first month will be $50, but setup the autopay and every month you'll see a $5 credit show up several days before your due date making it $45/mo. If you can deal with 500mb, you could knock it down to $35/mo.

VVVVVV For AIO, phone number = account.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 7, 2014

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Erm, can you have multiple phones on a account or is each phone one account?

edit: Nevermind, just contacted them. It is one phone per account!

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 7, 2014

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I'm having a problem with MMS group messages on Aio.

When I reply to a group thread my messages usually show up fine except for 2 of my friends who are on Sprint and both use a Galaxy S3. When these 2 receive my messages they get the notification, but the actual message will be backdated by 27 HOURS like I'm replying from the past. Since it's backdated, it puts the message clear at the beginning of the thread and they have to scroll back to read it, if they read it at all.

Any way to fix this? I'm using Hangouts for SMS and MMS on a stock Nexus 5.

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 7, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Probably a Sprint network issue. I remember having issues like that when I was on Sprint, although it was usually in the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Edit: Never mind, I apparently can't read.

• Locked thread