Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I am rapidly throwing all my money down a gaming blender, but the guys at the local gaming store are telling me that this Warmachine game is more popular than the GW games lately. Then I read the OP and find out you can play as loving VOODOO GATOR MEN?!? Are you making GBS threads me where have you been all my life?!?

Anything not covered in the OP that I need to know about before I buy in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

waah posted:

I am rapidly throwing all my money down a gaming blender, but the guys at the local gaming store are telling me that this Warmachine game is more popular than the GW games lately. Then I read the OP and find out you can play as loving VOODOO GATOR MEN?!? Are you making GBS threads me where have you been all my life?!?

Gators can be fun, but will be limiting overall thanks to their faction's split/secondary nature.

Otherwise its a great game, so go for it?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

waah posted:

Minions are split into two pacts: Pigs and Gators. If you want to play Minions competitively, the best thing to do is play both of those pacts, and that means $$$. That being said, it isn't strictly necessary, and if you're just getting into the game that won't matter one way or the other; you just need to concentrate on getting the basic game mechanics down.

Minions in general are stifled quite a bit by their small model collection as they have only recently begun the journey toward being a full fledged faction like Mercs are for Warmachine. I also, generally, do not recommend them as a starting point for people new to the game because there are a lot of things they just don't have access to, and that means lots of weaknesses. The next Hordes release looks like it might be shoring up some of those weaknesses, but if you're willing to take your licks, Minions are a super fun faction with some absolutely brutal Warlocks to choose from.

Also: fuckin' Voodoo Gators man, it's so loving rad seriously

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

This is their battle engine coming in the next book. Just saying.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sacrificial Voodoo Altar is going to own so loving hard.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
You can also use gators with other factions if you just want to run a little bit of gators and maybe some werewolves or Cyclopes or something. Most(maybe all?) hordes factions can use units of gator men, a gator shaman and a kind of mini warlock called wrong eye who comes with a pet monster gator and can run a couple extra, too. Wrong eye might be a bit complicated if you're just getting into the game, but the gator men as a unit are pretty popular.

Of course, all of that is on top of what S.J. already said: "...gators...so loving rad..."

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

Except for that post where DC explicitly says Alison counts as a Journeyman Warcaster and will qualify for tier 2 of Siege's new tier. So you may want to double check that thread before slamming ruled lawyers (though some of the suggestions are pretty dumb)

I'm phone posting but it's on page 2, post 45 of the unwordscramble thread.

Allison Jakes counts for that tier cause she's also on that tier list.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Gatormen are pretty sweet.

Though, really, you should be playing Menoth

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

gannyGrabber posted:

Gatormen are pretty sweet.

Though, really, you should be playing Menoth

I really like how in this thread, you rarely hear from Cryx, Retribution have recently come to prominence, and the Menoth are always looking to convert you.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Makes sense, really. :catholic:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Warlock journeyman models spotted at Adepticon.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Man, the Skorne one looks so drat bland next to the other three.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lost Hemisphere has much nicer pics. The paintjob on the Skorne one looks really nice.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Lord Of Texas posted:

Going to be playing a Caine1 gunline tonight, likely to see ATGM+UA, Black 13th, Long Gunners, a few heavies/lights (no Stormwall) and the usual Cygnar support. Trying to build a Krueger2 list that will do well against it, but I don't want to be cheesy and just take a bunch of Woldguardians. We'll be playing the Outflank 2014 SR scenario at 35 points.

Thinking of this:

Krueger2 +5
-Megalith
-Stalker
Bloodtrackers + Nuala
Shifting Stones + Keeper
Lord of the Feast
Gallows Grove
Swamp Gobbers

Plan A is obviously Stealth/Prowl on more or less everything, with Stormwall protecting against deviation and helping somewhat against Stealth-ignoring units. My biggest fear is ATGM with Snipe, who can sit outside of Stormwall and pick apart my stealth'd squishies. Megalith is in there for his high armor and zillion boxes, since I don't think many other of my units want to be living in the zones.

Critiques are welcome!

Thanks for the advice all, counter-deploying the Bloodtrackers on the opposite flank on the ATGM + B13 played a large part in my victory. He was goaded into running the ATGM + B13 horizontally towards the Bloodtrackers in an effort to blow them off the table the next turn, which allowed my LotF to Raven into a nearby Defender, thresher the mages, rolling poorly overall but killing the UA and thus removing True Sight from the unit. Similarly, I was able to wipe out the B13 with a Rock Hammer and Geomancy'd Lightning Storm, making the scenario victory pretty easy from there, with my Bloodtrackers harassing his flank and Wind Wall protecting my zone-holders.

Here was my opponent's list:

Caine1
-Defender
-Sylas
ATGM + UA
-Hunter
Junior
-Cyclone
Black 13th

Can anyone who is more familiar with Cygnar comment on any improvements that could be made for Steamroller play at 35 points? My initial thought is that the Warjack package could be revamped, I think two expensive heavies plus a light at 35 is too much for Cygnar. Can Caine1 play pure gunline and be successful in scenarios?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm pretty interested in getting into this game, once my car repairs are paid off. Any recommendations on which start set(s) to get/avoid?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Paper Kaiju posted:

The troll one just looks like A Variation Of The Fennblade Kithkar :smith:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Esser-Z posted:

I'm pretty interested in getting into this game, once my car repairs are paid off. Any recommendations on which start set(s) to get/avoid?

All of the factions own, and all of the battlegroup starters are adequate if you're just starting the game. Only factions to avoid as a beginner are Mercenaries, Minions, and maybe Convergence of Cyriss.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Well, he has two weapons, sure. I don't see much else similarity unless maybe you mean some of the armor. But that's to be expected I think. It's just a style across the faction.

Also he has sweet goggles, something you can never get enough of.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

All of the factions own, and all of the battlegroup starters are adequate if you're just starting the game. Only factions to avoid as a beginner are Mercenaries, Minions, and maybe Convergence of Cyriss.

Ah, okay! That... makes the decision no more easy. They all look so cool!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Esser-Z posted:

Go here, listen to the new player series of episodes. Those will probably help a bunch.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Fyrbrand posted:

Go here, listen to the new player series of episodes. Those will probably help a bunch.

Thanks! I'll look into that this weekend!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Razzled posted:

Yes, but he's also a trollkin, so that automatically makes him a more interesting model.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Razzled posted:

If he is a Fennblade Kithkar that is Fury 3 or 4 that would be amazing. Throw Mauler Animus on him, and look out as he scraps a heavy. That would be like 5 to 6 P+S 16 hits.

These guys are gonna have Fury, right?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Fyrbrand posted:

Please don't, i really love Chain Attack but this series of episodes goes into so much details that you don't care about as a new player. They felt really bloated and overtly long and could just as easily turn interested people away from the game.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Luebbi posted:

Please don't, i really love Chain Attack but this series of episodes goes into so much details that you don't care about as a new player. They felt really bloated and overtly long and could just as easily turn interested people away from the game.

Ugh, thanks. I haven't listened to them. Recommendation retracted.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Thanks for the advice all, counter-deploying the Bloodtrackers on the opposite flank on the ATGM + B13 played a large part in my victory. He was goaded into running the ATGM + B13 horizontally towards the Bloodtrackers in an effort to blow them off the table the next turn, which allowed my LotF to Raven into a nearby Defender, thresher the mages, rolling poorly overall but killing the UA and thus removing True Sight from the unit. Similarly, I was able to wipe out the B13 with a Rock Hammer and Geomancy'd Lightning Storm, making the scenario victory pretty easy from there, with my Bloodtrackers harassing his flank and Wind Wall protecting my zone-holders.

Here was my opponent's list:

Caine1
-Defender
-Sylas
ATGM + UA
-Hunter
Junior
-Cyclone
Black 13th

Can anyone who is more familiar with Cygnar comment on any improvements that could be made for Steamroller play at 35 points? My initial thought is that the Warjack package could be revamped, I think two expensive heavies plus a light at 35 is too much for Cygnar. Can Caine1 play pure gunline and be successful in scenarios?

I think the majority of this list is ok, but the Jr. battlegroup seems unnecessary. The Cyclone isn't killing things that can't already be killed by the gunmages, and Jr himself doesn't have any good targets for Arcane Shield (armor 14 isn't saving anyone). I'd drop that module and do something else with the 12 points

Also- True Sight is 'tactics', not 'granted' so it doesn't matter if the UA dies.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Luebbi posted:

Muse on Minis #166 has a long section on picking a faction for new players.

There's got to be other places that have this info in a useful form for new players too.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Mt. ORourke posted:

I think the majority of this list is ok, but the Jr. battlegroup seems unnecessary. The Cyclone isn't killing things that can't already be killed by the gunmages, and Jr himself doesn't have any good targets for Arcane Shield (armor 14 isn't saving anyone). I'd drop that module and do something else with the 12 points

Also- True Sight is 'tactics', not 'granted' so it doesn't matter if the UA dies.

I don't think he should drop the cyclone. He should marshal it under the UA of the mages for some sweet sweet 2d3 thunderbolt shots.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Acceptableloss posted:

Muse on Minis #166 has a long section on picking a faction for new players.

There's got to be other places that have this info in a useful form for new players too.

I thought of this one too, but as is the norm for Muse, it's long, rambling, and frequently goes off topic. They intentionally skip over some factions. I didn't see it as useful for new players at all.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Legion one isn't making me very excited. The Circle one looks amazing though

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Here's a good spot for picking a new faction.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Luebbi posted:

Alright, duly noted! Will NOT listen after work.

Menoth is pretty tempting, yeah. Thinking I might pick up their starter and the Trollblood starter to, er, start, but I'm not fully decided. Everyone is so cool!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Don't click that link. It's a bunch of bullshit.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Esser-Z posted:

Seriously, the best way to choose is to pick whichever one you think looks the most awesome! Because, really, everyone is freakin' great, but if you really love the models it makes painting them a lot easier. I wouldn't even steer clear of Mercs or Minions if they're what you think look cool, they're only a bit more complicated than the other teams, and really, I think if you're capable of learning to play, you'll be capable of learning the differences they have.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Luebbi posted:

That and their biases at this point are so ridiculously strong that these episodes feel like they're weaponized to turn a newbie in a jaded hater of fun. I feel like you could introduce a stranger to these episodes, as them for a faction on the other side, and get "Cygnar, get me the only three casters that matter and that Colossal please" or ask them their impression and get "Minions are useless bullshit. I've never seen one and couldn't identify the models, but I know they aren't even a faction."

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I am gonna be honest, I picked which side I was interested in based on the pictures in OP alone. Sad to hear that all alligators aren't viable for new players nor is there a battleforce for gators, however

If gators have to hired, I need to find a race/army/faction that will give me the best chance to have Bayou Billy and Leatherhead team up. I don't care about if an army is stupidly competive or not I just wanna have fun make ridiculous models and laugh about it while once in a while winning a game.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you want some gator minions alongside a regular faction then your answer is Skorne.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

waah posted:

I am gonna be honest, I picked which side I was interested in based on the pictures in OP alone. Sad to hear that all alligators aren't viable for new players nor is there a battleforce for gators, however

If gators have to hired, I need to find a race/army/faction that will give me the best chance to have Bayou Billy and Leatherhead team up. I don't care about if an army is stupidly competive or not I just wanna have fun make ridiculous models and laugh about it while once in a while winning a game.

Its not that gators can't win games, its that they are a sub-faction and don't have answers to every question an opponent may pose in a tournament. For learning the game they are fine, for taking to a masters tournament, much less so.

I picked Retribution because of the look of the Battlemage unit leader, before Wrath was out (actually before even discordia was out) and ret at the time had large holes in its ability to deal with questions the opponent would ask (mostly armor skew and stealth questions). It was frustrating as I tried to get more competitive, and I did end up stepping away for a year. However I don't regret my decision and am very happy with them now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

waah posted:

Yep, you're looking for Skorne. Skorne loves those awesome gatormans. It doesn't hurt that one of the most fun ways to run them in Skorne is under the depraved control of a giant fat rear end in a top hat riding on a palanquin held aloft by weeping foetal elephantmen: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/skorne/warlocks/dominar-rasheth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

waah posted:

Gators are easily the better half of minions. I think you'll be fine. In fact, you can bring 3 units of gatormen posse no problem and be just fine. Other units aren't really necessary in the gator half of minions.

With Rask there's probably no need to bring farrow anymore, so you can just gator em up.

• Locked thread