Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yes, the proper way to deal with it is to stay silent and bottle up your shame forever. Hopefully they will apply this lesson for future endeavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Given that nobody is asking for a rollback, I think it's unfair to mock.

It appears that Gaz have given XP a 0.04 multiplier to do the job, which affects upgrading legendaries as well as levelling. I can see some people being aggrieved by that if they were taking a red 60 out of retirement and planned on using the cosmic prestige to get him a legendary at level 5 instead of endless cows and XDef runs.

I also think Gaz didn't consider that multiplying XP requirements by 25 isn't the same as multiplying time to level by 25. The fastest way to 20 is normally to hop in XDef and power through, but you can't do that at cosmic because you aren't gaining the abilities required to keep up. This means you're getting fewer waves and hence less experience bonuses, reducing your XP/hour even further. You can level in MM where the gains are constant, but the rate of gain has always been slower there. Overall I suspect it will probably take more like 30 times as long to achieve 1-60 at cosmic.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
who cares? The only point of Cosmic prestige is for people to wave their dicks in peoples faces about how "hardcore" they are. If they are now having second thoughts after realising it won't be fairies and rainbows then gently caress em, it's not like they didn't have multiple warnings over what they were getting into. Seriously, gently caress em right in the eyeball.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It's pretty fair to mock. It says you are entering maximum poopsock mode so prepare to suffer right on the thing.

Also if you hit red prestige without a maxed legendary, kill yourself

Dravs posted:

who cares? The only point of Cosmic prestige is for people to wave their dicks in peoples faces about how "hardcore" they are. If they are now having second thoughts after realising it won't be fairies and rainbows then gently caress em, it's not like they didn't have multiple warnings over what they were getting into. Seriously, gently caress em right in the eyeball.

Yes, this

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Auugh I'm so mad! You guys made a button and when I press it, it punches me in the balls for 100 hours! But I still pressed it despite the multitude of warnings about getting punched in the balls, and now it's your fault!

Two confirmation menus wasn't enough!

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Dravs posted:

and, to be honest, there are other ways to wave your dick in somebody's face.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just got swept up in Taskmastermania and bought the $13 pack. I swear, I've spent more on this one game than I spent buying 80% of my Steam library.

Not that I put a ton of money into it, I just tend to buy $1 bundles and cheapo Summer sale games.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I totally don't hate myself

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I think other posters made a good point in that there is no good reason for the game to be punitive, this isn't real life. It doesn't (shouldn't?) affect Player A's enjoyment of the game if Player B is allowed to revert back to Red Prestige at Level 1 if they decided Cosmic Prestige is too grindy for them.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Old Man Thor will be next week, I know a lot of you are excited about it as I am. I wanna complete my diabetic Brimley ensemble.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Rufio posted:

I totally don't hate myself

But it's all clear sailing from there, friend. At least Cable gets a full build by 20.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can kind of see the point of not liking it after trying it. I mean, they didn't put it on the TC for us to try...

On the other hand, if someone wasn't really sure, they could have waited for the next time TC was up, and tried it there...

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
To me, it seems like leveling to 60 in WoW pre-Burning Crusade.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 4, 2014

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

.04 xp is totally the same as x25 guys

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jubelio posted:

and, to be honest, there are other ways to wave your dick in somebody's face.

Yeah but my yellow name won't get me arrested.

I liked the idea of cosmic prestige because I just wanted an excuse to play my Wolverine more, but I have to say that even though I understood full well that it would take a lot longer to do, I just assumed all they did was massively increase the xp needed for each level, instead of lowering the xp you receive. It would be nice to make it easier for people to take the massive amount of time they'll be playing these characters to try out different legendaries, different builds that may not have been optimal for quick 1-60 runs in the past. I dunno, maybe Gaz will change that around, maybe not. I just enjoyed getting to spend more time at 1-5 with a maxed gungnir.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

bonds0097 posted:

I think other posters made a good point in that there is no good reason for the game to be punitive, this isn't real life. It doesn't (shouldn't?) affect Player A's enjoyment of the game if Player B is allowed to revert back to Red Prestige at Level 1 if they decided Cosmic Prestige is too grindy for them.

I generally feel like making a dumb decision in a video game should be punished and should have consequences. In practice you see this when someone making dumb gear/skill decisions is negatively affected by having very slow clear/kill times. Now there are a lot of situations where this might not apply, but when you are talking about something meant for "super hardcore epeen to the max gamers" I feel like if you want to get on that level, you need to be able to deal with it. I will happily sit here on red prestige feeling smug in my ability to have self control until I am ready to sacrifice a hero to the yellow firepits.

Does it affect my enjoyment whether or not that individual gets to go back to red? Hell no. Knowing the developers' policy on risk vs reward and their policy on rewarding smart play vs punishing stupid play? absolutely does.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

On the plus side, think about all of the odin marks you will have when you hit yellow at 60.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Diabetic posted:

To me, it seems like leveling to 60 in WoW pre-Burning Crusade. :sperg::goon:

You pay some chinese dude $100?

Also I'd be fine with letting people revert to level 1, no prestige. That's a fair compromise I think.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

triplexpac posted:

I just got swept up in Taskmastermania and bought the $13 pack. I swear, I've spent more on this one game than I spent buying 80% of my Steam library.

Yeah, I've spent a good amount of money on this game, but I don't regret it. I've gotten a ton of entertainment out of it, and I have gotten several heroes for free. I feel this game has done free-to-play right for the most part -- there's never that lovely feeling of them forcing you to spend money or that game content is gated in any way. They just keep pumping out new heroes and costumes, and they're like "either pay for it, or grind up splinters for it, we don't care."

I wasn't sure I'd like the splinter thing (instead of random hero drops) when they first introduced it, but it's turned out pretty great. I never feel like I'm wasting time; even if I'm just messing around with a hero that I probably won't take all the way to 60 I'm still stockpiling them splinters.

jubelio posted:

I generally feel like making a dumb decision in a video game should be punished and should have consequences. In practice you see this when someone making dumb gear/skill decisions is negatively affected by having very slow clear/kill times. Now there are a lot of situations where this might not apply, but when you are talking about something meant for "super hardcore epeen to the max gamers" I feel like if you want to get on that level, you need to be able to deal with it. I will happily sit here on red prestige feeling smug in my ability to have self control until I am ready to sacrifice a hero to the yellow firepits.

Does it affect my enjoyment whether or not that individual gets to go back to red? Hell no. Knowing the developers' policy on risk vs reward and their policy on rewarding smart play vs punishing stupid play? absolutely does.

I agree that dumb play should be punishable, although I don't think it would be unfair to allow some method to revert it here. Mostly because this is an irreversible decision otherwise. Like, if you make dumb gear/skill decisions, you may have to pay or grind for new gear, and pay or run a story mission to get a retcon potion, but there is some way to fix it even if it costs you. In most MMOs if you break your character entirely, even if there's no way to respec, you can always delete and create a new character. Here, if someone cosmic-ed their favorite character and honestly hate it, they can't even delete and restart, since you can't make a "second" Hulk or whoever. I guess they could always make a second account for that particular character, but it would suck to not have your shared stash and whatnot.

There's other ways they can do a penalty though. Make a de-Cosmic Prestige item and have it cost a pile of splinters or cube shards (or real money), that's fair enough.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 4, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

alansmithee posted:

You pay some chinese dude $100?

Also I'd be fine with letting people revert to level 1, no prestige. That's a fair compromise I think.

Are you making GBS threads me? I'd do it all the time then. Free costumes erryday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bonds0097 posted:

Exactly. And if they had been going "wah wah, two warnings wasn't enough, I want a refund" I'd be joining you all in the mocking - caveat emptor and all that. But the first guy asked if he could pay the cost of a prestige again plus a Retcon to go back to where he was, and that's reasonable and mature behaviour. He's admitting he hosed up and would have to pay to correct his mistake.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Toshimo posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? I'd do it all the time then. Free costumes erryday.

Forgot about that, you're right.

You revert not to red, but to a special "I wanted to be hardcore epeen pro gamer-man but chickened out" poop brown name. Also you have a .01% chance of being feared on damage to acknowledge your "achievement".

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

alansmithee posted:

You revert not to red, but to a special "I wanted to be hardcore epeen pro gamer-man but chickened out" poop brown name. Also you have a .01% chance of being feared on damage to acknowledge your "achievement".

LOL I'm not gonna be too upset no matter how they rule on the situation, but this solution would be the best.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

alansmithee posted:

This i can support

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

bonds0097 posted:

I personally don't have a "you made your bed - now sleep in it" mindset.

Mostly I feel bad for Gazillion's programmers, who are likely on the brink of madness as it is with as frequently as this game updates/patches. I don't know anything about their workflow obviously. I'm a (terrible) programmer and on most projects at work I have a three person team. Higher ups always say "I want Feature really badly! But I also want a way to turn Feature on and off, whenever I want. Like a checkbox or something. Also we need it in two weeks or people will be mad!" This happened when they introduced Hero XP Synergies and people wanted a way to turn it off.

Sometimes it's easy to implement and roll out, and sometimes it's extremely difficult to engineer and you lose many hours of sleep and time with your family, and sometimes it takes as much effort as developing the Feature took in the first place. I could be spending that time fixing other things, or developing another Feature. If you had only read and understood the Thing before clicking it, we wouldn't have the Problem. But that always fails, and you can never expect a user to understand the Thing before clicking it.

Gazillion's pace is what I would describe as "breakneck". It has very obvious positives and downsides, but even with the bugs and complaints I still think it's one of the biggest things keeping the game afloat. Anyway this is an anecdotal post that doesn't totally fit with the thread but I'm on my lunch and am going to a meeting to deal with this exact problem in about half an hour so it feels relevant.

alansmithee posted:

Also this. This is the solution.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What's looking to be the build for Taskmeister?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

alansmithee posted:

This is brilliant.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cosmic Iron Buddy?

Doomsaw posted:

Yep - we're going to add this dude.

Will he do fancy stuff or will it be just like the others?

Doomsaw posted:

I'm going to ask for a soft cosmic VFX on him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

What's looking to be the build for Taskmeister?

A lot of people are running melee TM with points in Rebounding Shield, Dismember, Foeslayer, Emulation, Daredevil and Captain which I think is slower but much more survivable than what Im using right now.

Im using Dual Wield, Gas, Web, Legion, Emulation, Hawkeye and Spider. I could trade in spider for captain and web for rebounding for more passive survival but I like the spirit recover and more active survival of slowing enemies. I really need to get to 60 and get gear to see how it works, but range so far is very viable.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Make him cost 25x more than the others and be bought in parts that combine in the crafter. :v:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Personally, I'm running a variation on the standard Khonshu-based melee build but with points in the Hawkeye stance and just 1 in the DD stance, since I can easily get piles of Melee DR from artifacts, while Ranged DR and Brutal Rating are harder to come by and the bleed effect can help you get Shield Crush brutals for 300K.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Anyone got a new Squirrel Girl build? The old one still is recommending a life leech core.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Along with cosmic iron buddy, all I really want from cosmic prestige is for them to make legendaries take the full unmodified XP at least once you hit 60, if not at any level.

Right now, deciding you want to level up another legendary item will take you 25x longer than a non-cosmic character of the same level.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
God drat it, guys. The entire problem with the cosmic prestige system is wholly caused by the massive ego of each loving child who said "I'M GONNA BE DA FIRST COSMIC PRESTIGE IRONMANS!!"

First: 25 times longer to reach 60 could mean either increased level requirements or reduced gains. Reduction makes more sense because it's less likely to cause some kind of overflow error when Joe D. Bag uses 5 of every random boost ever offered and puts on everything that can increase XP during a weekend event and completes an LQ for 13,625,683,295,402,514xp then crashes the world.

Second: At no point was the time investment ever hidden here. Regardless of XP rates, 25x longer is still the same length of time. The only difference is that your legendary won't be Rank 5 by level 3 in the current system.

Literally every person who is mad at the slow progression is a loving impulsive idiot who entirely deserves what they've gotten. They prestiged 5 times prior because it was easy. Now that they actually have to PLAY the poo poo hero they're trying to cosmic 60 for LOLtimes... well that's when Gaz has gone too far.

If they, for some reason, feel like they HAVE to do something for every baby crying that the game isn't fun due to their own impulse and regret, the only fair offering is this: A Prestige Fedora that puts your dumb rear end right back at level 1, prestige 0. White Name Shame.

Again: 100% percent of the time this prestige option has been available it has also been known that the leveling time would take you 25x longer to get back to idling in hubs, spamming /trade with your bad views on women's rights (yes this has literally happened... several times).

gently caress this community and its entitled, childish view on every aspect of this game. It stops being an outlet of enjoyment and turns into this thing that's apparently only fun if you get uniques that you want (not any you don't) every single kill while also getting constant 50000% boosts and free everything. Because holy poo poo you're crazy if you think I want Jeff Jerkbag to literally ever get something before me, or more of it than I do.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Anyone got a new Squirrel Girl build? The old one still is recommending a life leech core.

People are currently waiting for her mini review.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nickhimself posted:

God drat it, guys.

Dude. Stop reading the MH forums. Official forums are always terrible.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Don't play SG? Her build hasn't changed (except that CCK is now named Nutcracker), but all of that gear advice is old and terrible. She's one of the worst characters right now, though. I'd wait for her review.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

nickhimself posted:

God drat it, guys. The entire problem with the cosmic prestige system is wholly caused by the massive ego of each loving child who said "I'M GONNA BE DA FIRST COSMIC PRESTIGE IRONMANS!!"

First: 25 times longer to reach 60 could mean either increased level requirements or reduced gains. Reduction makes more sense because it's less likely to cause some kind of overflow error when Joe D. Bag uses 5 of every random boost ever offered and puts on everything that can increase XP during a weekend event and completes an LQ for 13,625,683,295,402,514xp then crashes the world.

Second: At no point was the time investment ever hidden here. Regardless of XP rates, 25x longer is still the same length of time. The only difference is that your legendary won't be Rank 5 by level 3 in the current system.

Literally every person who is mad at the slow progression is a loving impulsive idiot who entirely deserves what they've gotten. They prestiged 5 times prior because it was easy. Now that they actually have to PLAY the poo poo hero they're trying to cosmic 60 for LOLtimes... well that's when Gaz has gone too far.

If they, for some reason, feel like they HAVE to do something for every baby crying that the game isn't fun due to their own impulse and regret, the only fair offering is this: A Prestige Fedora that puts your dumb rear end right back at level 1, prestige 0. White Name Shame.

Again: 100% percent of the time this prestige option has been available it has also been known that the leveling time would take you 25x longer to get back to idling in hubs, spamming /trade with your bad views on women's rights (yes this has literally happened... several times).

gently caress this community and its entitled, childish view on every aspect of this game. It stops being an outlet of enjoyment and turns into this thing that's apparently only fun if you get uniques that you want (not any you don't) every single kill while also getting constant 50000% boosts and free everything. Because holy poo poo you're crazy if you think I want Jeff Jerkbag to literally ever get something before me, or more of it than I do.

I'm not going to read this

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It'll be interesting to see how characters do in cosmic prestige. Few artifacts to save you, you'll be going through things like story mode at a vastly reduced level-thus less skills to play with.

Any early advantages or problems will be showing up very strongly.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So who is Comixfan anyway and why are people so happy about him going nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

So who is Comixfan anyway and why are people so happy about him going nuts?

A bad poster and probably lunatic who ran a fansite where Chris Claremont used to post.

• Locked thread