Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
UGH. Funimation is streaming Ping-Pong. I really want to watch it as it comes out, but I don't like that Funi only charges by month and their site hasn't been the best to use at times. Plus, no streaming on my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

The Black Stones posted:

UGH. Funimation is streaming Ping-Pong.

Wait, really? That's a surprise. They've been sitting on Tatami Galaxy for like 4 loving years.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 4, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Redcrimson posted:

Wait, really? That's a surprise. They've sitting on Tatami Galaxy for like 4 loving years.

Who knows? They know sports shows sell like poo poo, so maybe after the success of Kick-Heart maybe their banking on at least doing a sub only release with this?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They've said that they look at the viewer numbers for streams to decide if they'll do a physical release so uh, while it'd be great to see Ping-pong succeed where Tatami Galaxy hasn't, I'm not going to be optimistic.

I'm glad that someone picked it up tho.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Black Stones posted:

Who knows? They know sports shows sell like poo poo, so maybe after the success of Kick-Heart maybe their banking on at least doing a sub only release with this?

Sports shows seem to sell terrible unless you fill the shows with a ton of gay innuendo, I'm not sure Yuasa could offer that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

Sports shows seem to sell terrible unless you fill the shows with a ton of gay innuendo, I'm not sure Yuasa could offer that.

Nah, you'll just need a lot of pretty, pretty boys. The gay innuendo is just a bonus; it couldn't carry a show on its own if the characters weren't attractive. :v:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
People will perceive it whether its intended to be there or not, so long as the cast is primarily one sex or the other.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Is Disk Wars Avengers anywhere in English?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-04/mekakucity-actors-the-irregular-at-magic-high-school-to-stream-on-4-sites
Mekaku City Actors will be streaming on Crunchyroll, Hulu, Aniplex Channel, and Daisuki, 2.5 hours after Japanese air time. Sure hope that doesn't turn into "12-24 hours" like Aniplex-Trigger managed with KLK.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Sure hope that doesn't turn into "12-24 hours" like Aniplex-Trigger managed with KLK.

To be fair, that happened because of how late Trigger was getting the episodes done and has less to do with the original arrangement.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Zorak posted:

To be fair, that happened because of how late Trigger was getting the episodes done and has less to do with the original arrangement.
Has SHAFT gotten better about delivering at the last minute? I know they used to be terrible about it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't think Nisekoi had any postponements on CR, but I could be wrong since I didn't actually watch it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Has SHAFT gotten better about delivering at the last minute? I know they used to be terrible about it.

I haven't heard of anything in awhile, but to be honest SHAFT hasn't exactly done anything very "daring" or intensive for some time now.

What a weird world we live in, where SHAFT has finally just gotten pretty boring.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorak posted:

I haven't heard of anything in awhile, but to be honest SHAFT hasn't exactly done anything very "daring" or intensive for some time now.

What a weird world we live in, where SHAFT has finally just gotten pretty boring.

The new Madoka movie is visually stunning and turns the original series on its head soooooo not really?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So Crunchy just announced a few more titles, one of which is The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behaviour which seems to be the much more complicated english title to Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Took me a few minutes to figure out what that one even was.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I watched Kawai Complex cause it's by the same author who created Love Lab. And I have to say it's off to a good start. Should you watch it if you liked Love Lab? Ehhh, it's quite a bit different but the humor is still similar. And the perverted roommate doesn't seem to be a pedo. He likes to be abused and insulted by the female cast members though.

Akuma no Riddle also has a solid start. It's another one of those highschoolers (have to) play a deadly game shows. What I liked is that all characters were busy showing off how hardcore coldblooded killers they are. And the mystery why all this happening is sufficently mysterious to be interesting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Kindaichi R was... interesting. It hasn't wowed me at all yet, but this episode felt purely like setup anyway. It might be a good show if it improves a little.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It looks like GJ-bu@ is only an OVA. Which is disappointing.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Aw, only a 45 minute episode. Would've loved a full second season, though i don't know how much material there would be to make it from.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gblr1QGyL4
15-second PV for Monogatari S3 Mekaku City Actors. Not really much here, though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Captain Earth has suddenly been licensed for streaming by Crunchyroll, and is already live. And Here is a thread to discuss it in.

The show is seriously looking really interesting, the animation quality is through the roof and it is Star Driver as gently caress.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_noaVt8P3aI

:getin:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
So the good news is that Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei looks and sounds very nice, with nearly all the bloated exposition mercilessly cut out. The bad news is that the incest aspect somehow sticks out ten times more when animated; the way they touch each other left me gaping. The circumstances are a bit, uh, unfortunate, but I'm feeling a reluctant admiration for how the studio is depicting intimacy in this show. It's so unusual that I can't even think of a series in recent memory with scenes like that.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

darkgray posted:

So the good news is that Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei looks and sounds very nice, with nearly all the bloated exposition mercilessly cut out. The bad news is that the incest aspect somehow sticks out ten times more when animated; the way they touch each other left me gaping. The circumstances are a bit, uh, unfortunate, but I'm feeling a reluctant admiration for how the studio is depicting intimacy in this show. It's so unusual that I can't even think of a series in recent memory with scenes like that.

Yeah this show was creepy as gently caress which is too bad as the magic poo poo seemed atleast a little interesting.

Akuma no riddle was way better than I expected it to be, very flashy.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I watched Kawai Complex cause it's by the same author who created Love Lab. And I have to say it's off to a good start. Should you watch it if you liked Love Lab? Ehhh, it's quite a bit different but the humor is still similar. And the perverted roommate doesn't seem to be a pedo. He likes to be abused and insulted by the female cast members though.

Akuma no Riddle also has a solid start. It's another one of those highschoolers (have to) play a deadly game shows. What I liked is that all characters were busy showing off how hardcore coldblooded killers they are. And the mystery why all this happening is sufficently mysterious to be interesting.

Akuma no Riddle is like the direct inverse of Sakura Trick. Instead of a bunch of normal high school girls becoming friends and flirting with each other and figuring out what love is, it's a bunch of crazy high school girls becoming enemies and passive-aggressively (or just outward aggressively) posturing at each other while they figure out who it is they're supposed to kill. Almost every character is batshit insane and it's a pretty bizarre premise, and for that I thought it was kind of entertaining. We'll see if it keeps it up.

Also agreeing about Kawai Complex, it's one of those "weird people living in an apartment complex together" type of shows that I don't think we've had in awhile. It's pretty cute and funny. Also the creeplord guy straight up says he's only interested in girls over 18 so if that was a big hangup for anyone they don't have to worry. He's still a pretty creepy masochist though, but it's kind of goofy and harmless instead of disturbing.

CAPTAIN ARSE definitely felt like Star Driver, there was even a Kiraboshi-esque (albeit less fabulous) salute. I'll definitely be keeping up on it, hopefully it doesn't go all Valvrave on us (or all Star Driver, for that matter).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The World is Still Beautiful had a decent first episode. I feel like it's a little more silly than it needs to be, and it had a couple of pretentious fanservice jokes that weren't all that funny. Other than that I thought it was pretty good.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

The World is Still Beautiful had a decent first episode. I feel like it's a little more silly than it needs to be, and it had a couple of pretentious fanservice jokes that weren't all that funny. Other than that I thought it was pretty good.

Sekai's direction and humor remind me a lot of Fushigi Yuugi, but the heroine is x100 better. Nike is awesome.

Captain Earth had an excellent first episode. I loved the way it used small triggered flashbacks throughout, rather than a prologue or one large flashback.

I think I'll keep watching WIXOSS for now. People are comparing it to Madoka, but I think it's closer to Rozen Maiden. Either way, the series has plenty of its own ideas. I like the grandma a lot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looked at Kantoku Kuyukitodoki (the one by Anno's wife). It's kinda cute and interesting and overloaded with otaku references, even if her author avatar makes no sense to me. That aside, this came up:

So if Anno's one of the Four Otaku Gods, who are the other three?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MagicalDuck posted:

Sekai's direction and humor remind me a lot of Fushigi Yuugi, but the heroine is x100 better. Nike is awesome.

Yeah, Nike owns. She's a really fun character, and the show would probably be rather boring if she wasn't.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

So if Anno's one of the Four Otaku Gods, who are the other three?

Two of the boxes he's holding read "Ideon" and "Yamato", so I'm guessing Reiji Matsumoto and Tomino. I can't make sense of the middle one though.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
On the note of Funimation's high-class acquisitions, has anyone else taken a look at that Daimidaler show because it uh...

ALL ABOARD THE QUALITY VAN!

...it's the shittiest looking anime I've seen in a while, art, animation, the whole kit n' kaboodle is just painfully misbegotten.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Two of the boxes he's holding read "Ideon" and "Yamato", so I'm guessing Reiji Matsumoto and Tomino. I can't make sense of the middle one though.

The third one is "PGP" whatever that is

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nipponophile posted:

The middle one is Pankopa which is a Miyazaki thing.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 6, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mahouka might have actually been decent if it weren't for the horrible incest poo poo, cheers Japan.

Edit: Holy poo poo the mecha design in Daimidaler is almost unbelievably bad.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 6, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready for another show about world conquest already.

Yeah, Nike is a pretty cool heroine and the world building is fairly interesting, and the humor feels really awkward and out of place a lot of times. Who does fourth wall breaking in a semi-serious fantasy series? Not to mention her little island country apparently being on the cutting edge of modern swimsuit design. It's so weird.

It's the only thing so far this season (Except Jojo obviously) I've enjoyed yet so it's on the list for now.

Couldn't get through more then 10 minutes of the awful LN magic academy show. "You're the most perfect person who ever lived, Oni-chaaaaaaan" is one of the most aggravating characters I've ever tried to sit through.

Captain Earth looks well made, just leaves me empty.

I don't really do detective shows, or card game shows, so things are looking pretty bleak. (I liked Gosick, but calling it a mystery show is an undeserved compliment.) Let me go grind through some more LN adaptions and reverse harem shows, those are always promising. Or the Korean MMO trainwreck, maybe.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

XboxPants posted:

The middle one is Pankopa which is a Miyazaki thing.

Thanks, I was sure it was something of Miyazaki's, but I wasn't familiar with that abbreviation.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

madmac posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready for another show about world conquest already.

Yeah, Nike is a pretty cool heroine and the world building is fairly interesting, and the humor feels really awkward and out of place a lot of times. Who does fourth wall breaking in a semi-serious fantasy series? Not to mention her little island country apparently being on the cutting edge of modern swimsuit design. It's so weird.

It's the only thing so far this season (Except Jojo obviously) I've enjoyed yet so it's on the list for now.

Yeah, I don't know what was up with that. I read a few chapters of the manga but what was in the show wasn't exactly in the manga.

madmac posted:

Couldn't get through more then 10 minutes of the awful LN magic academy show. "You're the most perfect person who ever lived, Oni-chaaaaaaan" is one of the most aggravating characters I've ever tried to sit through.

I believe she said "onii-sama," which is way worse.

madmac posted:

I don't really do detective shows, or card game shows, so things are looking pretty bleak. (I liked Gosick, but calling it a mystery show is an undeserved compliment.) Let me go grind through some more LN adaptions and reverse harem shows, those are always promising. Or the Korean MMO trainwreck, maybe.

How do you feel about sports shows? Crunchyroll will be streaming Matsutaro, Baby Steps, and Haikyu. Looking forward to all of them myself

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah, I don't know what was up with that. I read a few chapters of the manga but what was in the show wasn't exactly in the manga.

I believe she said "onii-sama," which is way worse.

Probably, but verifying would involve me going back and watching it again and I've already staked my life on that not ever happening.

quote:

How do you feel about sports shows? Crunchyroll will be streaming Matsutaro, Baby Steps, and Haikyu. Looking forward to all of them myself

I...I swear I'm not that picky! It's just like this season is a big old plate of every type of squash, and I hate squash.

I don't have anything against sports shows I guess, but I'm not in the habit of watching them either. It's all right, really. I'll just keep digging around until I find something that looks like meat.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Jay O posted:

On the note of Funimation's high-class acquisitions, has anyone else taken a look at that Daimidaler show because it uh...

ALL ABOARD THE QUALITY VAN!

...it's the shittiest looking anime I've seen in a while, art, animation, the whole kit n' kaboodle is just painfully misbegotten.

Good lord. Glad I didn't watch that.

As far as what I have watched...

Mushi-shi- It's going to take a truly great anime to dethrone this as the best anime of the season. I just watched the entire first season and it's pretty hard to believe there was an 8 year gap between seasons. It's pretty much the exact same show, which is great because the first season was great! Everyone should watch this.

JoJo's- Pretty sweet, not as great a start as Battle Tendencies but I imagine great fun is still to come.

The Irregular at Magic High School- This is my Sword Art Online of the season. It seems to be pretty popular and it's badness amused me very much. This will surely have every anime cliche that turns people off from anime.

Captain Earth- Animation was very solid, I have no idea what is going on but "everything will be obvious soon". Protagonist seems very likeable so far so that is a plus

Kindachi Case Files R- Haven't watched the first series or anything but I'm interested. First episode wasn't that great but it was setup so I can forgive it. Haven't watched a detective show since GoSick so I'm on board for more.

Even So, The World is Beautiful- Wasn't sure what to expect from this but the first episode was excellent. Nike which will always make me think of the shoe company is a great protagonist. Kind, gentle but not a pushover, my kind of protagonist. Will definitely be following.

Not sure what else I'll be following this season. Other than One Week Friends which sold me right when I read the synopsis everything else is up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro has the worst protagonist ever.

• Locked thread