Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008
It's no surprise. This episode was pushed back and Schrab even announced on Twitter that this week would be a rerun again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Transmodiar posted:

Chang's inability to remember his ethnicity

He's played by Ken Jeong, who is not chinese.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Community: ABC - A Bad Cartoon (Episode)

I feel like there are plenty of other shows that riff off old cartoons, I didn't really think it was necessary for Community to jump into the mix. However, contrasting it with the surreal 80s commercials was brilliant (everyone dies eventually), but even then there wasn't enough material for a full episode. All in all this felt like a really good 10 minute internet video stretched out into a mediocre 20 minute episode of Community.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

This was definitely my favorite gimmick episode this show has done. Probably because I grew up with GI Joe and they did a brilliant job spoofing it. The live action commercials were a great touch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TealShark posted:

Last night's episode hit a series low rating of 0.9 (2.58M viewers). drat.

That makes sense, it leans in so completely to the GI Joe thing that you could pretty easily watch the first minute, having expected to see a live action sitcom, and switch channels thinking you'd accidentally tuned into a cartoon for children.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Unmature posted:

ALso, to people who are curious about GI Joe, check out the Larry Hama comics from the 80s. They hold up and are still pretty good.

And unlike the show, people actually die. A lot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ElwoodCuse posted:

And unlike the show, people actually die. A lot.

Mostly Cobra guys, and anyone without an action figure will bite it. There's even stuff about morality of war and the effects of American intervention. Also one of the primary character is a vet who was so horribly wounded during an operation he cannot speak and wears a mask to cover his face as not to gross everyone out.

And this is during the RA RA RA AMERICA #1 gently caress YA REGAN era.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I am definitely on the side of appreciating this episode but not really getting anything out of it. The scene at the end felt really cheap too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

twistedmentat posted:

Mostly Cobra guys, and anyone without an action figure will bite it. There's even stuff about morality of war and the effects of American intervention. Also one of the primary character is a vet who was so horribly wounded during an operation he cannot speak and wears a mask to cover his face as not to gross everyone out.

And this is during the RA RA RA AMERICA #1 gently caress YA REGAN era.

My mistake, I think it was just the one issue

http://demsgoodreadin.blogspot.com/2008/07/gi-joe-109-marvel-1991.html

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Reminded me a lot of the puppet episode.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
That's unfair, the puppet episode had a story.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Libearian posted:

Reminded me a lot of the puppet episode.

That's unfair, I actually laughed during the G.I. Joe's episode.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I appreciate the work that went into this episode, I laughed at most of it, and I liked the basic story re: Jeff's aging anxieties, but as a whole it didn't quite come together for me.

I read Pierce's "Welcome to the Club" letter as an implication that Jeff was on the brink of death in addition to becoming an old man. I liked how it could be read both ways.

MrAristocrates posted:

Apparently the titles of the final two episodes this season are "Basic Story" and "Basic Sandwich."

Does this mean that Shirley will finally be getting some more screentime? Yes!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That totally freaked me out when it happened. Plus it wasn't shot during a fight, or died saving someone else. Nope stuck in a pit and gunned down.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ladyboy pancake posted:

Does this mean that Shirley will finally be getting some more screentime? Yes!

From the promo pictures she seems to have a B-plot with Hickey and Duncan. However, the word "sandwich" isn't referring exclusively to her store...

(Subway's back, is what I'm saying)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was worried Sandwich would refer to something else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, just based on that I'd be surprised if she wasn't given some sort of notable role in the episode, but yeah, I can see how you might be disappointed.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I was worried Sandwich would refer to something else.

What else would sandwich refer to, besides sandwiches and threesomes?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

What else would sandwich refer to, besides sandwiches and threesomes?

Makes me think of HIMYM's use of 'sandwich' but that'd be an odd reference to make in an episode title.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ETB posted:

That's unfair, I actually laughed during the G.I. Joe's episode.

Yeah at the end of the day I laughed at this one so it's an okay episode in my book.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The noise Jonathan Banks made when Major Dick hurt his back cracked me up.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

1st AD posted:

Yeah at the end of the day I laughed at this one so it's an okay episode in my book.

Yeah, I can agree- like, I didn't find it super funny, and was kinda just going "uhmmmm" through most of it, but I won't pretend I didn't laugh like an idiot during the reused animation gag/rock hitting gag.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Came to see which goofy reasons people hated this episode for.

Was not disappointed.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
No one really hated it though, just some people weren't as wowed by it as most Community episodes.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
And that's not a bad thing. We can be critical of things we love. Personally, I appreciate Dan Harmon pushing the boundaries instead of falling stagnant. It's why I watch the show.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, can we unplug the internet?

http://imgur.com/5d8nLMW

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That cake was actually made before the episode aired..
https://twitter.com/ErinMcGathy/status/451643039048404992/photo/1

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Harmon's fiance made that for him

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

After the first viewing, the live-action ending seemed rather forced and stereotypical to me, or to paraphrase an earlier comment, like it had been run through a "Family Ties" filter, especially the closing joke and group laugh. Once I watched the second time, though, I realized why the study group was so heinously over-guffawing over Jeff's weak "eighteen eighty-nine?" line: Their close friend, whose mortality they had never considered, partially because Jeff so carefully managed his image and apparent age, had just recovered from a near-fatal experience. Jeff making a trademark sarcastic remark, even an incredibly lazy one, represented a return to normalcy, and their overdone laughter was a product of their relief, an excuse for catharsis. Unfortunately, that kind of overdone closing laughter also happens to be the trademark of cheesy sitcoms, where the only dramatic tension was whether the Beav was going to pass his math test or whatever. And after eighteen minutes of very tongue-in-cheek, satiric material, most viewers probably weren't emotionally ready for a scene that, apart from Ken Jeong, wasn't supposed to be funny, because almost killing oneself, even somewhat accidentally, isn't funny. Classic Harmon move, though.
So, that one tarnish cleared up for me, I quite liked the episode. Did anyone else notice, though, that Duncan was the one current Save Greendale Committee member not around Jeff's bed? Christ, even the new guy showed up. I know, it was probably due to John Oliver's time constraints more than anything else, but I'd be rather surprised if it doesn't get a mention before the end of the season.
For the record, I'm 28, just old enough to catch the end of the original run when I was like 6-7. Had just enough background to get most of the references, though some of the more obscure character stuff definitely went over my head. I think I still would have enjoyed it nearly as much if I'd only seen the PSA parodies, though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

those are certainly some replies.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

ETB posted:

And that's not a bad thing. We can be critical of things we love. Personally, I appreciate Dan Harmon pushing the boundaries instead of falling stagnant. It's why I watch the show.

No, I hear you. I was actually a little saddened by it because while I thought it was fantastic and near brilliant, it was not an episode for NBC which tells me that he thinks there's little chance for season 6 (and a movie)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kayakyakr posted:

No, I hear you. I was actually a little saddened by it because while I thought it was fantastic and near brilliant, it was not an episode for NBC which tells me that he thinks there's little chance for season 6 (and a movie)

On the other hand http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ones-up/250936/

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah, no that cake was for the Party at Harmon's house, I was there and had some. Erin Made it. Her boobs were made of Rice Crispie treats. It was good, also there was some green stuff in it that was also chocolate.

here is Ryan Ridley cutting her open.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

TealShark posted:

Last night's episode hit a series low rating of 0.9 (2.58M viewers). drat.

Actually "Herstory of Dance" is the series low with 2.32M.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Typical posted:

yeah, no that cake was for the Party at Harmon's house, I was there and had some. Erin Made it. Her boobs were made of Rice Crispie treats. It was good, also there was some green stuff in it that was also chocolate.

here is Ryan Ridley cutting her open.

I just watched the new Hannibal episode, so this image feels right somehow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android Blues posted:

That makes sense, it leans in so completely to the GI Joe thing that you could pretty easily watch the first minute, having expected to see a live action sitcom, and switch channels thinking you'd accidentally tuned into a cartoon for children.

Yeah it was playing it straight as a GI Joe cartoon for about ~30 seconds without any Community showing up, I wonder how many viewers they lost during that time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm vaguely familiar with GI Joe, and this episode was OK for me.

UltraShame posted:

:thejoke:

The episode was about Jeff's fear of no longer being a young man or even an adult, but becoming an old fart. The card on his desk from Pierce said something like "welcome to the club" and was sitting next to a bottle of scotch with "40" printed on it. They have always shown Jeff being terrified that if he doesn't change his behaviour that he will end up like Pierce. I thought it was pretty great.

I can explain that but I can't explain why Shirley constantly using I HAVE THREE KIDS like it's punctuation made me laugh so much. And I dont want to.
So Pierce is not dead? I thought he died in the Asscrack Bandit ep.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
He put the card in with the bottle of 40 year old scotch he bequeathed to Jeff in the polygraphy episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sakarja posted:

40 year old scotch

:aaa:

Harsh burn, Pierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, people DO die in GI Joe episodes.. but only in alternate universes.

IMHO That was the best episode of GI Joe ever, both a homage and a nudge-nudge wink and a tweak to the source material.

Only others that come close are Worlds Without End where pretty much the entire Joe team was massacred (off screen of course), and when Polly the Parrot gets hit by a Cobra ray, becomes Giant Parrot and saves the day in Cobra Claws are Coming to Town.

Also just realized that if you run a "Tight Ship," you'll avoid a "Shipwreck." Oh, Dan, you so clever.

Jim Rush sounds pretty much like every other voice actor playing a bit part in a GI Joe episode.

• Locked thread