Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

Sometimes after I come back to my computer that has been locked for a few minutes, my VirtualBox VM is no longer running. It's only using 4GB out of 16GB, why is Windows killing this process?

Finally figured this out when I saw this pop up in my VM for a split second after hitting ctrl+alt+del to lock my machine:

:doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

fletcher posted:

Finally figured this out when I saw this pop up in my VM for a split second after hitting ctrl+alt+del to lock my machine:

:doh:

So WinKey+L doesn't work for you?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
FYI: until April 7th, Acronis is running a promotion where upgrades for True Image are $30 and that includes 250GB of online storage for a year. That's a pretty good deal. It's somewhat less of a good deal if you don't already own a copy, then it's $50. Still not bad for what it does.

If you don't run any backups today and figuring out storage drives was the problem, check it out: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/promo/world-backup-day/

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Can anyone suggest something to turn PowerPoint into video other than PowerPoint 2013? Everything I've looked at seems shady :(

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Automagically? No idea. You could always just any screen recorder, like Fraps, and let the .ppt file play while you go take a dump or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

thebigcow posted:

Can anyone suggest something to turn PowerPoint into video other than PowerPoint 2013? Everything I've looked at seems shady :(

PowerPoint 2010 also saves powerpoints to video files.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Windows 8.1 just not update as frequently as 7 or XP? I just now remembered that I hadn't checked for updates in a while and saw that the last updates were installed on March 12. However, there are no new updates, which feels weird.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hooah posted:

Does Windows 8.1 just not update as frequently as 7 or XP? I just now remembered that I hadn't checked for updates in a while and saw that the last updates were installed on March 12. However, there are no new updates, which feels weird.

Updates come on the 2nd Tuesday of every month unless there is some emergency out of band update.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Just for reference, my Windows 7 computer last installed updates on March 12 as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I guess I've been misled by my Windows 7 machine getting Windows Defender updates pretty regularly, even though I'm using Avast!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That's the difference between malware definition database updates and error/exploit hotfixes. Definitions have to be on top of the game, so that anything zero-day doesn't stay viable for long. Hotfixes can generally wait until scheduled update times, though it's not unheard of for one to be pushed early for something that ended up a super huge deal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How good is OneNote's ink to text feature? Also, how reliant is it on the laptop's hardware? I'd like to try it out on some laptops, but unless I'm mistaken that feature is only available on the desktop version, which isn't free, so might not be installed on a random laptop at Best Buy or whatever.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

dpbjinc posted:

So WinKey+L doesn't work for you?

It does, and it only opens up the "start menu" in my VM rather than triggering a shutdown countdown. I can't unlearn ctl+alt+del <enter> though :saddowns:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
2 ethernet adapters in a pc, 2 separate networks, both networks use same subnetting 192.168.1.x as example.

1st network adapter #1 is our corp network

2nd network adapter 2 is a cctv-dvr that has a dhcp server.
The installer kept trying to get this working on our corp network but couldn't and now wont return calls. I'm trying to setup a temp workaround

The PC gets dhcp from the dvr but can't ping it when the corp network's plugged in.

I'd like to set a static ip and no gateway on the pc for the adapter #2 plugging in to the dvr this way everything except accessing the dvr is going to have to use the connection to the corp network.

But how will I make it so that if I try to access the dvr from that pc it will know to use adapter #2 for an ip that's just like the ones you can access from adapter #1?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

2 ethernet adapters in a pc, 2 separate networks, both networks use same subnetting 192.168.1.x as example.

1st network adapter #1 is our corp network

2nd network adapter 2 is a cctv-dvr that has a dhcp server.
The installer kept trying to get this working on our corp network but couldn't and now wont return calls. I'm trying to setup a temp workaround

The PC gets dhcp from the dvr but can't ping it when the corp network's plugged in.

I'd like to set a static ip and no gateway on the pc for the adapter #2 plugging in to the dvr this way everything except accessing the dvr is going to have to use the connection to the corp network.

But how will I make it so that if I try to access the dvr from that pc it will know to use adapter #2 for an ip that's just like the ones you can access from adapter #1?

This doesn't work the way you have things set up now. Change the network on the DVR if you can, otherwise you get to renumber the office.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

thebigcow posted:

This doesn't work the way you have things set up now. Change the network on the DVR if you can, otherwise you get to renumber the office.

Well poo poo. It actually did work in a proof-of-concept I did with a laptop plugged in to dvr with cable and connected to corp with wifi but in thinking back on that I at 1st had the wifi off, established a connection to the dvr that stayed open, then I turned wifi on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, if stuff has the same IP address, that's not gonna work. You may be able to access stuff via hostname, but you should really just use a different network for each one.

EDIT: You could setup a VM that only sees one of the NICs I guess.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Not sure where to ask, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never had a Windows dynamic disk fail on me before; I'm putting some more big drives in my desktop and am going to put a pair of old 1.5TB drives in my girlfriend's computer to replace her even older mismatched drives (and to supplement my old SSD that's already in there). I'm going to RAID 1 them since she doesn't really need that much space. I know it's not backup, but if you're reading this thread, you know how people are, whatever, making the best of a bad situation, at least she uses dropbox and stuff for important files and doesn't have that much important stuff on her home PCs. What I want to know is, if I have a windows dynamic disk RAID 1 and one disk dies, what exactly will Windows do, will it beep and sperg out constantly so she knows she actually has to do something? I hope it won't just throw a quiet little error in the event viewer when one drive inevitably dies, is all.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, if stuff has the same IP address, that's not gonna work. You may be able to access stuff via hostname, but you should really just use a different network for each one.

EDIT: You could setup a VM that only sees one of the NICs I guess.

End goal was hoping to use this pc as a kind of rdp or vnc bridge for the front desk peoples PCs so that they could view cameras and still be on corp network even though we don't have a network tech or dvr tech to set it up right. A VM would have the same problems a real PC would the way we want to do it. Unless you remote into the real host PC and view the VM actually with the VMware workstation app but that's getting a little too complicated and hackish, too many more phone calls to me. Good idea for actually sitting at this pc though.

Other workarounds thought of were a wifi ap plugged into the dhcp server-having dvr or a cat6 cable from dvr to the front desk but its too long of a distance for either and they wouldn't be able to be on the corp network anyway without a dedicated PC for camera viewing.

Edit what about a...not sure what these are actually called but I've seen one before, a networked KVM type thing for servers without an ilo interface? Anything like that that's not hugely expensive?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 10, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Can you do anything to configure networking on the DVR, either give it a static address on the corp network and turn off DHCP or give it an address on another network and plug it into an interface on a router with an address on that same network?

This should be a non-issue, no reason to use a PC just for this unless you actually want that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

thebigcow posted:

Can you do anything to configure networking on the DVR, either give it a static address on the corp network and turn off DHCP or give it an address on another network and plug it into an interface on a router with an address on that same network?

This should be a non-issue, no reason to use a PC just for this unless you actually want that.

I can do either on the DVR but problem is I have no one to configure a switch port for a static or give me a static to use. And if I turn off dhcp I'd need 16 more statics for each camera (and figure out how to configure those for static) since there's just a dhcp on/off switch. The cameras are plugged into 16 camera ports on it getting dhcp and the one on/off switch leads me to believe if i turn off I'm not only turning off dhcp for its 2 "uplink" side ports, I'm turning off for camera side too. Its a razberi btw.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 10, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can you not just change the network the DVR is using to 192.168.2.0 or something?

Also the cameras currently have an IP address, try connecting to one of them and see if you can just assign a static to it through a web interface or something.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Inspector_666 posted:

Can you not just change the network the DVR is using to 192.168.2.0 or something?

I'd think I could, someone set it to match our subnetting scheme, I could change it to different. But would that allow the PC connected to both networks to talk to both?

A weird wrench thrown into the mix: if I'm connected to the DVR only and set a static IP the same as what it gave me earlier on dhcp + same snm and no gateway set, I can't talk to it at all, not even ping. Its like it realizes I'm not a dhcp client and blocks all access.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I'd think I could, someone set it to match our subnetting scheme, I could change it to different. But would that allow the PC connected to both networks to talk to both?

A weird wrench thrown into the mix: if I'm connected to the DVR only and set a static IP the same as what it gave me earlier on dhcp + same snm and no gateway set, I can't talk to it at all, not even ping. Its like it realizes I'm not a dhcp client and blocks all access.

Yeah, if the PC has the dual NICs, then there wouldn't be any trouble with routing the traffic to the right host since there's only one option of where to send to for each network.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to set the default size for windows in Windows 8.1? My laptop screen has a lot of horizontal space and it gets annoying having to manually set every window to 3/4 of the screen, only for it to be reset the next time I reboot.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
Can anyone recommend a CPU/RAM/network monitor programme to sit on my desktop for Windows 7? I used to have a Logitech keyboard with an LCD panel and a great little app that did that for me, tracking each CPU core's usage and network upload/download but I recently upgraded to a new non-LCD keyboard.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Daviclond posted:

Can anyone recommend a CPU/RAM/network monitor programme to sit on my desktop for Windows 7? I used to have a Logitech keyboard with an LCD panel and a great little app that did that for me, tracking each CPU core's usage and network upload/download but I recently upgraded to a new non-LCD keyboard.

Does it have to sit on the desktop? The built-in resource monitor (start > run > resmon) does a great job at what you want. I just have it pinned to my taskbar so I can easily start it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My parents still use XP, so is there a go-to security program that isn't MS Security Essentials?

Also, Crossloop got shutdown. What's the next best in terms of remote desktop access that's free? Crossloop was invaluable for conducting tech support on my parent's computers.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bouchacha posted:

Also, Crossloop got shutdown. What's the next best in terms of remote desktop access that's free? Crossloop was invaluable for conducting tech support on my parent's computers.

TeamViewer.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

My parents still use XP, so is there a go-to security program that isn't MS Security Essentials?

Nuke XP now. You're going to be doing a lot more tech support of you don't, it's at its end of life. No more security updates.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

z06ck posted:

Nuke XP now. You're going to be doing a lot more tech support of you don't, it's at its end of life. No more security updates.

The computers are from around 2002 but work totally fine, how well will newer versions run on that hardware?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bouchacha posted:

The computers are from around 2002 but work totally fine, how well will newer versions run on that hardware?

You're going to want 2GB of RAM for 7

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Bouchacha posted:

They're a ticking time bomb unless you've replaced every single mechanical component in them - hard drives, power supply, processor fan, and at least one case fan. You might as well get a cheap Dell Outlet PC for them.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Daviclond posted:

Remember windows gadgets? CPU Meter and Network Meter still work and seem to get regular updates. MS stopped supporting gadgets in 2011 for security risks I believe, but I've never had a problem with those two.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

dpbjinc posted:

They're a ticking time bomb unless you've replaced every single mechanical component in them - hard drives, power supply, processor fan, and at least one case fan. You might as well get a cheap Dell Outlet PC for them.

That's a bit dramatic I think, it's not like a loose fan will fly out of the case. It's working fine and all data is backed up. If things actually start failing then a replacement would make sense, but there's no sense in upgrading only because of a potential of failure when their computer use is so casual.

I'm going to track down a version of Windows 7 and upgrade when I get a chance. Is $100 from Newegg the best deal for a license key?

It's a shame these computers are more likely to be obsolete because of software rather than hardware failure.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: Wrong thread.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 14, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bouchacha posted:

That's a bit dramatic I think, it's not like a loose fan will fly out of the case. It's working fine and all data is backed up. If things actually start failing then a replacement would make sense, but there's no sense in upgrading only because of a potential of failure when their computer use is so casual.

I'm going to track down a version of Windows 7 and upgrade when I get a chance. Is $100 from Newegg the best deal for a license key?

It's a shame these computers are more likely to be obsolete because of software rather than hardware failure.

Well what hardware are these computers anyway? I mean, it might be the case where it's poo poo so old that some $200 full-on replacement will give the same performance as well as have a new version of Windows.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Install Windows posted:

Well what hardware are these computers anyway? I mean, it might be the case where it's poo poo so old that some $200 full-on replacement will give the same performance as well as have a new version of Windows.

Basically leftovers from my old gaming computers. A $200 replacement would be a great deal though, where would that be?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bouchacha posted:

Basically leftovers from my old gaming computers. A $200 replacement would be a great deal though, where would that be?

Well essentially, there's desktops from Dell and the like that sell for $350 or so new and handily outclass the performance of midrange computers from 2009 or earlier, which should be about as new as a computer with XP on it would be. And those end up on sales or on things like the Dell outlet for another 100 bucks or so under.

Obviously if the old gaming hardware you built the things out of is better than that, it wouldn't be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

That's really useful to know, I'll keep a lookout for those sales. The gaming components don't really matter for what my parents do.