Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Considering it's 1/3 the price and you get to enjoy actually building it, I think I'll probably go with the HGUC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Saying the RD is better than the HG is kind of like saying water is wet.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Speaking of older kits, how's the 1/144 Fuunsaiki and Master Gundam kit?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

Saying the RD is better than the HG is kind of like saying water is wet.

They're actually pretty much comparable, only one looks really good and one looks like it was made by someone who had the design described to them over a bad phone connection.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

everythingWasBees posted:

HGFC Master Gundam is very solid. Fuunsaiki however is a glorified display stand, but it it compatible with HGFC God Gundam if you'd prefer Domon get the horse.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

HGFC Master Gundam is very solid. Fuunsaiki however is a glorified display stand, but it it compatible with HGFC God Gundam if you'd prefer Domon get the horse.

How're the legs on the Fuunsaiki?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

How're the legs on the Fuunsaiki?

Limited articulation, but it doesn't matter anyway. Fuunsaiki was not designed to be posed in any way besides what's shown in promotional shots(hence the small stand that connects underneath Fuunsaiki). If you were hoping for Fuunsaiki to be able to stand on all four legs without help, it won't work without major modifications.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Limited articulation, but it doesn't matter anyway. Fuunsaiki was not designed to be posed in any way besides what's shown in promotional shots(hence the small stand that connects underneath Fuunsaiki). If you were hoping for Fuunsaiki to be able to stand on all four legs without help, it won't work without major modifications.

I was more thinking about using the legs to make an awesome faun gundam, to be quite honest.
I haven't even gotten around to building the Miss Sazabi yet and I'm already fantasizing about custom builds. I think I have a problem.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
oh boy, it's time for a not-gundam kit! This time it's Plum's PowerDolls 2... err, Power Doll.

Now first thing you'll notice, the box is HUGE! the part sheets don't require this kind of space at all. my only guess is that the extra space was meant for holding the poster in the special version (that sold out pretty fast, I might add!)

Even though it's only half finished at the moment, I'm already incredibly impressed by the articulation the arms alone have. the hip joint is on a ball, but it has very little movement ability on the ball at all. That's still better than their previous efforts on the Valken Assault Suit, which just rotates horizontally.

The difference is like night and day almost. The biggest improvement over Valken is just how much better the joints are for this. Valken can only really muster a 90 degree elbow bend and fairly limited shoulder movement, as well as it's punch piston gimmick making the lower arm very loose. This on the other hand is nice and tight, with a nice array of joints to allow for just about anything you could want. the hand guard is also on a pivot, so it won't really get in the way of the hand movement that I can tell.

Will post more on this kit once the assembly is done.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 5, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I just picked this kit up (first Gunpla in 7 years, thanks GBF!) and the Master is pretty drat good. Better than my SO's Star Build Strike; from the balance and articulation to which parts stay on. Echoing the Fuunsaiki bits, though-- it only has effectively a single pose. The front legs can move but that's it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Wow those are some hips. Tallgeese and Virtue have nothing on that. :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of hips, I picked this sucker up today.

The Tieren's were pretty kickass clunky machines, and it was relatively cheap. (Plus with a convention next week that the local hobby shop usually runs a stall at, I figured it'd be better to grab it now while I see it rather than chancing it being gone).

It's also surprisingly flexible, and great if you want a desk toy. Though for a walking tank, a mere machine gun does seem kind of... lacking...

So say hello to System Weapon 006 :unsmigghh::shepspends:.

Hmm, there may be some issues with recoil... :ohdear:

Seriously though; that thing's free-standing in the last picture. It's got a great center of gravity and Dalong shows off an amazing range of poses you can stick the thing into. I also may have forgotten to attach the tip of the arm-mounted cannon's barrel until I noticed it missing in the pictures.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of the Tieran as a Gundam machine but it really looks like it'd fit right in in an Armored Core game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've got that kit and I really love it. The Tieran is tied with the Leo for my favorite Zaku stand in.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

oh boy, it's time for a not-gundam kit! This time it's Plum's PowerDolls 2... err, Power Doll.

Will post more on this kit once the assembly is done.

well this suit never skipped leg day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I just finished my first model in years (and my first ever Gunpla) a few days ago.

I was really impressed with the Kampfer's pose-ability. I contemplated shortening the shotguns to a manageable pistol-length, but decided to keep my first kit simple.

I suppose I'm just not used to models that can actually move, but it impressed me enough that I'm thinking about picking up a GM Sniper II to lock it in eternal battle with. Is the GM Sniper II any good, or should I consider something slightly more insane?

The words "Turn Exia" keep rolling around in my skull. :tinfoil:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The High Grade GM Sniper II is really good

so does any solvent work well on sticker decals? Not the waterslides or anything, but the decals bandai's more likely to include with the adhesive backing. Would a topcoat reduce the outline around them? I like the ones that came with this ECOAS Jegan, but if I can't get rid of the obvious outline of the backing, I won't bother.

muike fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Decal setter is useless on stickers. Setter is a very weak acid you use to warp waterslides, they won't do jack to something as (relatively) sturdy as a sticker.

You can reduce the presence of the outline by glosscoating underneath the sticker and then spraying a flat coat on top, but that outline's still going to show up. It's the main reason why nobody likes stickers. You can sort of address the issue by exactly cutting out the decal from the sticker, but needless to say that is a pain in the rear end.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think the bottom line is don't use the stickers because it's drat near impossible to make them look good.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I figured I'd just have to use some of my EFSF waterslides instead of the cool ECOAS emblems and poo poo, oh well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Tieran as a Gundam machine but it really looks like it'd fit right in in an Armored Core game.

I think they work for Gundam 00. The Union and AEUG have these fancy high-tech, high-performance machines and the HRL Russians instead just built something big and simple that could probably be left to rust for fifty years and still fire up first-time. They definitely do look like something from an AC game though.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just finished my first model in years (and my first ever Gunpla) a few days ago.

I was really impressed with the Kampfer's pose-ability. I contemplated shortening the shotguns to a manageable pistol-length, but decided to keep my first kit simple.

I suppose I'm just not used to models that can actually move, but it impressed me enough that I'm thinking about picking up a GM Sniper II to lock it in eternal battle with. Is the GM Sniper II any good, or should I consider something slightly more insane?

The words "Turn Exia" keep rolling around in my skull. :tinfoil:

drat, that Kampfer is gorgeous :swoon:. The mix of red and black on the body looks great, especially with the matching shotguns. Is that the HG or MG kit, out of curiosity?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The safety nub on the horn kind of gives it away.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So hey, good news: That ankle joint breaking on RG GP01 wasn't a problem and I was able to put the rest of the leg panels on fine.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeesh.

I really overdid the waist.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What the gently caress did you do?! :psyduck:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Battle damage gone awry? :v:

What's the right simple green to get? I just recently realised that it's actually available here and that I should probably get some.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually dig the safety nubs on the horns/vfins on HG kits. It gives them a little more pop and substance up top.

Also I think that gundam poo poo its pants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeesh.

I really overdid the waist.

You're not supposed to play in the mud with them, you know.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Obviously Blitz has taken it upon himself to make Build Fighters season 2 in his dorm using stop motion.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

What the gently caress did you do?! :psyduck:

Pre-weathering work? You did that PG GP-01, you should know this.

Did this kit intending to finally use that Gunpla Weathering set I had lying around, and overall not very impressed with it. Used Rust Red and Burnt Iron, and the former was way too dark and the latter not dark enough. Like any other gundam marker they were completely useless unthinned (the q-tip treatment straight up scratched it off rather then spread it around), and overall they were kind of a hassle to work with since I couldn't precisely measure out paint. They worked alright over bare plastic at least, but on top of paint they led to total messes I couldn't fully clean up. Definitely wouldn't recommend it, though it's discontinued now so it's not like that means much. :v:

Anyways there's still more I could do with the legs, but I don't care nearly enough to fill in the holes in the soles and paint them gray, modify the ankles to look less awkward, darken the brown in the panel lines, and in general make things more presentable. :effort:

Sue me, I'm going to be building this thing two more times when Bandai inevitably releases V2 Buster and V2 Assault.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I haven't seen much of Victory Gundam, but it seems like the Gundam least likely to be battle-damaged. If the legs ever got that bad they'd just send him new legs

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They did that with the Victory, not the V2. The factory that was supposed to mass produce parts of the latter got blown up.

But yeah, weathering gunpla is actually really silly in general, and is pretty much just a holdover from military modeling. Most suits are used in space, and even the ones you see on the ground would never be allowed to reach the state you see on a lot of weathered kits. But it looks cool so who cares. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty much the only suits that make sense weathered are those ancient zeon suits that are buried or submerged for 20 years. Nothing else lives long enough to get worn out.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Pre-weathering work? You did that PG GP-01, you should know this.

Mine doesn't look like that. :colbert:

I just hope you didn't pay a lot of money for that weathering kit.

Edit: \/\/\/ - Jesus, how is it even still standing?

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 6, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reminds me of when I took a lighter to my tallgeese 2 gently caress-if-I-know-what kit when I was a teenager

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat, that Kampfer is gorgeous :swoon:. The mix of red and black on the body looks great, especially with the matching shotguns. Is that the HG or MG kit, out of curiosity?

Someone beat me to the answer, but it's the HG kit. The beam sabers also match, and the Bazookas will too once I finish those. I'm still not sure how I'll paint the Demolition Chain.

BlitzBlast posted:

Is that what that is? :blush:

It's flush with the rest of the horn, so it just looked like the top of the horn was swept back. I kinda liked the look of it and I don't remember that part of the Kampfer very well, so I thought it must've been part of the design.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 6, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I'm guessing that the HG Crossbone Maoh won't come with a beam effect part for the bitching skull cannon. Anyone got any ideas on how to make one?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Luminaflare posted:

So I'm guessing that the HG Crossbone Maoh won't come with a beam effect part for the bitching skull cannon. Anyone got any ideas on how to make one?

This set would probably cover you.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
I'm got heaps of gunpla but I want to get rid a lot of them - what are some options that aren't entirely wasteful?
And they're not all in excellent condition either, most of them have been built with varying degrees of skill (a 12 year old building a MG GP01fb wasn't a good idea...) and some suffer from broken limbs and bad paintjobs. I wouldn't think there would be a big aftermarket for kits already built, considering (IMO) most of the fun is building it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
There is a market for professionally built/painted kits. Kits a kid built - not so much, especially if they are older/broken models. You could post some pictures just to show off what you got though.

As for your choices, either fix them up or throw them out.

• Locked thread