Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I'm late as poo poo on this but I'm curious if anyone can explain why Deafheaven got so much mainstream coverage but The Atlas Moth didnt? I just listened to An Ache for the Distance again and in my opinion it does everything Sunbather did but better. And two years before it. Guitar work that swings between brutal and beautiful, great atmosphere, multiple genres and styled mixed in, good screaming and clean vocals, etc.

I just like it so much better than Sunbather that I don't understand how it didnt get any press. It had the necessary Pitchfork coverage to get hipster cred too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

But on topic - can anyone recommend anything that sounds like the two new Triptykon songs? I mean, newer Celtic Frost stuff is a given, but anything else?

Not long after Celtic Frost's Monotheist came out, I got into a German band called, Valborg. One of their first albums was called, Glorification of Pain. I always thought that it kind of paralleled where Tom went from Monotheist into Triptykon's material. I gave up following them because their stuff was so hard to get my hands on and well not long after that, there was Triptykon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

I'm late as poo poo on this but I'm curious if anyone can explain why Deafheaven got so much mainstream coverage but The Atlas Moth didnt? I just listened to An Ache for the Distance again and in my opinion it does everything Sunbather did but better. And two years before it. Guitar work that swings between brutal and beautiful, great atmosphere, multiple genres and styled mixed in, good screaming and clean vocals, etc.

I just like it so much better than Sunbather that I don't understand how it didnt get any press. It had the necessary Pitchfork coverage to get hipster cred too.

Can't answer that, but it reminds me: did anyone see that Deafheaven and Pallbearer are touring together this summer? I feel like that tour will set a flannel record despite the season.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

QPZIL posted:

But on topic - can anyone recommend anything that sounds like the two new Triptykon songs? I mean, newer Celtic Frost stuff is a given, but anything else?

Dragged Into Sunlight, especially their first album Hatred For Mankind.

mahleriavictim
May 15, 2013

rxcowboy posted:

I love An Ache for the Distance, but I'm not sure I agree that it bears comparison with Sunbather. They seem like two completely different animals to me. The Atlas Moth are kinda sludgey/stoner metal with some cool atmospheric keyboard stuff laid over the top and a good mix of clean and harsh vocals, which I quite like. Deafheaven are pretty much mixing black metal with shoegaze, so the tempos are mostly a lot faster and I don't think there are any clean vocals (unless you count the spoken word "field recordings" on a couple of tracks).

As for why Deafheaven got the attention versus The Atlas Moth? It's possible that Profound Lore simply doesn't have the marketing budget to push all of their albums equally hard. I think they were mainly focused on promoting Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit which came around the same time, if memory serves. Or maybe critics just weren't looking for a slow, doom-y, atmospheric metal album. I dunno.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

comes along bort posted:

Dragged Into Sunlight, especially their first album Hatred For Mankind.

This album is so good I don't even mind the pinch harmonics!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

skudmunky posted:

I would see Dream Theater again if I knew they were going to play Space Dye Vest. Is this the first time they've played it live with Rudess?

I don't think they have really much before, if at all. Here is a crowd video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4baJLdW1U5s

But that doesn't capture the shear loving power of the bass and everything else live.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Not long after Celtic Frost's Monotheist came out, I got into a German band called, Valborg. One of their first albums was called, Glorification of Pain. I always thought that it kind of paralleled where Tom went from Monotheist into Triptykon's material. I gave up following them because their stuff was so hard to get my hands on and well not long after that, there was Triptykon.

Seconding Valborg. I stumbled across them awhile back and they really are quite good. I'm glad they're still making music.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Whilst we're all waiting for a new Disma album, we should be listening to Fuoco Fatuo. Their full-length is really solid death-doom and I'm really enjoying it. http://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-viper-slithers-in-the-ashes-of-what-remains. CD version is available from Iron Tyrant, I dunno if it has US distribution right now.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So there's going to be a "farewell" Gwar show in Virginia in June. gently caress, why did you have to die, Dave?

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are saving all we can to go to that. We're pretty big fans and we've been to the last few Gwar tours, so if it's at all possible we're drat sure making this one. If anyone's up for it, we could make a little sort of Richmond, VA goon meet out of it.

rxcowboy posted:

I think a lot of that has to do with the guest appearance by Neige of Alcest on Sunbather.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 5, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If a band sounds like Iron Maiden and borrows a Motorhead riff, it sounds really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-b0C_hJR0

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

drat it, I almost cried.

Yeah, I know I'm stupid but I'm a lifelong Gwar fan and two deaths in less than two years just... god drat it. This sucks so much :smith:

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Another album with no growls what the gently caress Opeth goddamn you assholes

If they don't want to do the growls anymore, it's probably best they don't try to force it. I've found that for me post-Blackwater Park, a lot of their material felt pretty forced and uninspired, especially with the death metal stuff. It Mikael's heart is not into death metal, than anything he does in that vein is probably going to be pretty uninteresting. I really don't care where on the genre wheel Opeth's next album ends up falling, I just hope that it's good. That being said I sure hope it's a lot better than the tried to hard to be avantgarde sloppy mess that was Heritage.

My Arms, Your Hearse is their strongest overall work for me and I doubt they'll ever top it.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
I honestly think Mikael just lost his ability to growl. I remember seeing the Bloodbath DVD and wondering what the gently caress was going on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hellocruelworld posted:

If they don't want to do the growls anymore, it's probably best they don't try to force it. I've found that for me post-Blackwater Park, a lot of their material felt pretty forced and uninspired, especially with the death metal stuff. It Mikael's heart is not into death metal, than anything he does in that vein is probably going to be pretty uninteresting. I really don't care where on the genre wheel Opeth's next album ends up falling, I just hope that it's good. That being said I sure hope it's a lot better than the tried to hard to be avantgarde sloppy mess that was Heritage.

My Arms, Your Hearse is their strongest overall work for me and I doubt they'll ever top it.
Independent of individual opinions on favorites, Blackwater Park sounded to me like the album Mikael always wanted to make, like the thing he was always building towards. As an artist, once you've already done that, then what?

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Just discovered this today...the drummer from Negative Plane has a solo project and just released an album a few weeks ago. It's pretty drat good! First track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RO_ZMfRNVk

Call Me BEEF
Feb 19, 2013

I'M SO FABULOUS

Misogynist posted:

Independent of individual opinions on favorites, Blackwater Park sounded to me like the album Mikael always wanted to make, like the thing he was always building towards. As an artist, once you've already done that, then what?

When I saw them live they had a lot more presence and drive when playing songs off of Blackwater Park than whatever their new album is. Their new stuff feels uninspired, like what hellocruelworld said. It might do them good to have a break and do some side projects.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Optimum Gulps posted:

Just discovered this today...the drummer from Negative Plane has a solo project and just released an album a few weeks ago. It's pretty drat good! First track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RO_ZMfRNVk

Thanks for the heads up. Should probably check this out. I hope we get another Negative Plane album soon.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

I've always felt the same way and really as you listen to anything Opeth since then, it's been pretty goddamn downhill. I don't even say that as an insult - it's just that BWP was so good there wasn't really anywhere to go but down. I think maybe even the band themselves realized that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fenrir posted:

I've always felt the same way and really as you listen to anything Opeth since then, it's been pretty goddamn downhill. I don't even say that as an insult - it's just that BWP was so good there wasn't really anywhere to go but down. I think maybe even the band themselves realized that.
Yeah, you have these occasional flashes of brilliance on each album, but they've all got all this material that just plods along and fails to develop. Deliverance was a turd, Ghost Reveries had three or four decent songs on it, and I waver between moods where Watershed is absolutely unlistenable or the best, most inspired thing they've done since Blackwater Park.

Heritage wasn't awful so much as it really didn't know what it wanted to be -- if anything, their experimentation retained too much of the old Opeth to pull off a coherent Ulver-style reimagining -- and I think they could pull it off if they figure out which aspects of that sound are worth building off of instead of sounding like Mikael singing over Porcupine Tree improv tracks and Uriah Heep b-sides.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 6, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Fenrir posted:

I think a lot of that has to do with the guest appearance by Neige of Alcest on Sunbather.
Sunbather got a lot of press but Deafheaven's first album did too. Some people seem to be acting like they came out of nowhere with Sunbather, but it was a highly anticipated release, it's not like nobody knew who they were. Also that Atlas Moth album doesn't really sound like Deafheaven, and generally sounds like metal, whereas I think Deafheaven's crossover appeal is that they don't sound like metal enough of the time that non-metal fans can latch onto it.

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, you have these occasional flashes of brilliance on each album, but they've all got all this material that just plods along and fails to develop. Deliverance was a turd, Ghost Reveries had three or four decent songs on it, and I waver between moods where Watershed is absolutely unlistenable or the best, most inspired thing they've done since Blackwater Park.
I actually didn't dislike Deliverance at the time, I think people are kinda overly down on it because of the way it was pitched as the death metal counterpart to Damnation. That said, I have to admit I haven't listened to it in years, though I have occasionally gone back to Blackwater Park and earlier albums.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

het posted:

I actually didn't dislike Deliverance at the time, I think people are kinda overly down on it because of the way it was pitched as the death metal counterpart to Damnation. That said, I have to admit I haven't listened to it in years, though I have occasionally gone back to Blackwater Park and earlier albums.
Didn't like it when it came out, don't like it now. Death metal is fine, I just get bored of them banging on these tritones over and over like it's gonna make the song suddenly interesting.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Didn't like it when it came out, don't like it now. Death metal is fine, I just get bored of them banging on these tritones over and over like it's gonna make the song suddenly interesting.

Yeah it was around that album when Mikael became a slave to his own mannerisms and no amount of Camel ripoffs or mellotron sugar coating is going to fix the root cause of the problem, i.e. him not actually being a particularly versatile composer

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

QPZIL posted:

Has anyone else heard a song that SO good that they literally get angry because of it? Maybe it's just the musician in me.

gently caress Tom G. Wa--... sorry, THOMAS GABRIEL FISCHER, for writing two of the best songs I've heard in months and months. I bet he wears that beanie because he head is so full of good riffs and he doesn't want them spilling out. I cannot WAIT for the new Triptykon album.

https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/triptykon-breathing
https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/triptykon-boleskine-house

I get angry when a band/musician makes exactly one great song, and the rest of their catalog is crap, does that count?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
That reminds me of the album Servants of Darkness by Nifelheim. I don't know how many times I listened to that whole album, on the strength of that one good song, before I figured it out. I didn't really get angry but I did not listen to it ever again.

I've never bothered with any other album by them.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

This is one of the most ridiculously impressive things I've ever seen

http://www.metalinjection.net/video/30-misplaced-shredders-marty-friedman-in-metallica-steve-vai-in-pantera-kerry-king-in-megadeth

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

het posted:

Sunbather got a lot of press but Deafheaven's first album did too. Some people seem to be acting like they came out of nowhere with Sunbather, but it was a highly anticipated release, it's not like nobody knew who they were. Also that Atlas Moth album doesn't really sound like Deafheaven, and generally sounds like metal, whereas I think Deafheaven's crossover appeal is that they don't sound like metal enough of the time that non-metal fans can latch onto it.
Yeah, that's probably got a lot to do with it too. There's definitely more there for non-metal fans.

Misogynist posted:

I liked the first two tracks from Deliverance quite a bit, but after that the album sort of falls apart.

Holy poo poo, that is INSANE :stare:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 6, 2014

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The nation has been saved.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-demands-more-mindblowing-guitar-solos,35545/

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

This is aweomse and now for some reason I have the urgw to buy a load of shred albums. Thanks for sharing, have a good few friends who got a kick out of it too.

Now where is my credit card...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I had kind of let Cannibal Corpse slip my mind for a bit and hadn't realized they put out an album in 2012.

Torture.

Holy gently caress. I forgot how much I loved Alex's bass. And Paul actually has some interesting poo poo instead of the constant clicky double bass that seems to be more and more popular these days.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I don't know if anybody is interested, but Michael Kiske wrote a column about "the worship of evil" in metal. Turns out the Antichrist is involved. No, really.

http://www.metalblast.net/blog/kiske_evil_in_metal/

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I don't know if anybody is interested, but Michael Kiske wrote a column about "the worship of evil" in metal. Turns out the Antichrist is involved. No, really.

Holy moly he's literally mr. Mackey

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just saw the Decibel Magazine tour in Columbus last night and it ruled. Gorguts are incomparable.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Non Serviam posted:

That's probably the last thing I'd expect to hear from somebody who's actually in metal. Maybe a clueless fundie who thinks all rock music is the Devil's work*, but Michael Kiske?

* it is :ssh:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's probably the last thing I'd expect to hear from somebody who's actually in metal. Maybe a clueless fundie who thinks all rock music is the Devil's work*, but Michael Kiske?

* it is :ssh:

Well, he isn't saying that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Non Serviam posted:

Well, he isn't saying that.

Well, not exactly. He's saying that metal genuinely glorifies evil and is morally diseased.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Well, not exactly. He's saying that metal genuinely glorifies evil and is morally diseased.

That's not it either. He's saying (and I disagree with him) that a big chunk of metal glorifies evil and that it can be a moral disease. It isn't so much against metal, but rather against the way in which the scene has been shaped.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

That's not it either. He's saying (and I disagree with him) that a big chunk of metal glorifies evil and that it can be a moral disease. It isn't so much against metal, but rather against the way in which the scene has been shaped.
I'm thinking that Ghost probably pushed him over the edge, and I'm kinda cracking up at the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Speaking of has-beens, here's the turnout for Metal All Stars in Helsinki, Finland last night

An entire indoor arena was booked for this thing.