Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mike-o posted:

If only the Marines had an SSBN at Guadalcanal...

Just thank god that a B-17 out of Espiritu Santo didn't have to make an emergency landing and the marines started flying it, or you'd have a Marine corp that would be getting their share of the Nuclear Trinity Quadruple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Blistex posted:

Just thank god that a B-17 out of Espiritu Santo didn't have to make an emergency landing and the marines started flying it, or you'd have a Marine corp that would be getting their share of the Nuclear Trinity Quadruple.

If we can't have nuclear marines only the bad guys will have them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Plinkey posted:

F-35 Search and Rescue :v:

Holy poo poo I hope it has pontoons. :v:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Godholio posted:

The place where the ducted fan in the vtol version goes, and where the laser goes on the other versions, is going to be where they put a large inflatable stealth pontoon. Just one.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The F-35 generates several orders of magnitude more humour than lift.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Godholio posted:

I know you guys are joking about this, but it's yet another thing the Navy thought was worth a shot once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOrj2cSDO-M

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Plinkey posted:

F-35 Search and Rescue :v:

Just strap cots to the side, M*A*S*H* style.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm waiting for it to become a STOL plane instead of STOVL.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wild EEPROM posted:

The place where the ducted fan in the vtol version goes, and where the laser goes on the other versions, is going to be where they put a large inflatable stealth pontoon. Just one.

That space is where the RCAF is going to stick the sartechs.

One of them gets launched upward with a rocket, the other just gets dropped like a bomb. Also they're both stealthy.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Here you go, somebody's already solved this problem for us!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exint_pod

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Why hasn't Airbus jumped into the mix? They could get a foot in the door with a CASA and use that to eventually sell the A440Ms that Germany plans to immediately dump.

a Conservative government procuring aircraft from Airbus? You'd have to know Canadian politics to understand why this wouldn't even be considered to be tabled to a sub-committee that reports to a middling bureaucrat that, through several more layers of government, eventually reports to the Prime Minister's office, for the career suicide that suggesting such a thing would bring down on you.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: STOVL chat...

...Osprey doing touch & goes at Akron Fulton airport for the better part of three hours today.

Its usually nothing but single and double engined private aviation there but every once in a while there's something worth seeing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Linedance posted:

a Conservative government procuring aircraft from Airbus? You'd have to know Canadian politics to understand why this wouldn't even be considered to be tabled to a sub-committee that reports to a middling bureaucrat that, through several more layers of government, eventually reports to the Prime Minister's office, for the career suicide that suggesting such a thing would bring down on you.

Linedance, while demonstrating a good grasp of Canadian politics, severely overestimate how likely it is that a member of the Canadian Conservative Party would even consider having their name associated with a procurement program that involves an European aircraft manufacturer whose name starts with A.

But goddamn the FWSAR program is a ridiculous shitshow. At least we got the Cormoran :unsmith:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

FrozenVent posted:

At least we got the Cormoran :unsmith:

Years late and only after another complete procurement shitshow as well.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A general rule for procurement for the Canadian Military;

It is always going to be a shitshow.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

A general rule for procurement for the Canadian Military;

It is always going to be a shitshow.

Hey sometimes we have a Liberal Government. Then it won't be a shitshow because the Liberals won't buy anything at all.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know you guys are joking about this, but it's yet another thing the Navy thought was worth a shot once

Holy poo poo that neckwear at 0:53.

cool plane too I guess.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

We did it too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pl1aMVnZyY

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

:eek:

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
When did those morons at Flickr decide to get rid of the BBcode option?! Anyway have a KC-46 with some cool testing gear on it!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Geoj posted:

RE: STOVL chat...

...Osprey doing touch & goes at Akron Fulton airport for the better part of three hours today.

Its usually nothing but single and double engined private aviation there but every once in a while there's something worth seeing.
That thing was doing in New Philadelphia this morning doing touch-and-gos as well.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Powercube posted:

When did those morons at Flickr decide to get rid of the BBcode option?! Anyway have a KC-46 with some cool testing gear on it!

The same time they decided to get rid of all the other useful links in the photo page, I guess.

Anyway, random question - is NASA's old airborne observatory C-141 still parked at Moffett Federal Airfield near San Jose? Google Maps couldn't seem to make up its mind on the matter and that isn't a very reliable way of finding out to begin with.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

That thing was doing in New Philadelphia this morning doing touch-and-gos as well.

Man, how the hell did I miss that thing flying around? Oh, right, Massillon...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

YF19pilot posted:

Man, how the hell did I miss that thing flying around? Oh, right, Massillon...

There was an osprey in the landing pattern at CAK not too long ago. Flew over me on Frank ave. I want to say a month ago.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was out on the flightline up at Everett the other day checking out our 787 and got to catch the Dreamlifter landing. Pretty cool! Lots of tire smoke. No pictures because no camera pass, unfortunately. The preceding aircraft to land was some sort of single engine prop job like a Cessna or something. How does Seattle area ATC deal with all the traffic with so many airports in such close proximity, and such a vast range of aircraft types landing (floats on the lake, light aircraft all over, biz jets, flight test aircraft from Boeing, military, and all the commercial traffic at SeaTac)?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I don't know that location specifically, but a lot of Class B has little cutout corridors running under it to service the local non commercial traffic and adjacent airports.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Linedance posted:

I was out on the flightline up at Everett the other day checking out our 787 and got to catch the Dreamlifter landing. Pretty cool! Lots of tire smoke. No pictures because no camera pass, unfortunately. The preceding aircraft to land was some sort of single engine prop job like a Cessna or something. How does Seattle area ATC deal with all the traffic with so many airports in such close proximity, and such a vast range of aircraft types landing (floats on the lake, light aircraft all over, biz jets, flight test aircraft from Boeing, military, and all the commercial traffic at SeaTac)?

Well, KPAE has its own fully staffed tower and the traffic into it is so well spaced that sequencing stops becoming an issue. Sometimes you see utterly hosed up and retarded poo poo like a Cessna taking off on 34L when a SV 77W is on short final for 16R. That was a nice go-around!

BFI and SEA have coordinated approaches, if I recall correctly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Linedance posted:

The approach sectors are split up, and arrival/departure corridors established. Depending on the airspace, it can get pretty tight. Judicious use of speed control must be used to keep everything spaced correctly when you don't have anywhere else to go.

Aircraft not needing to get into the Bravo airspace itself and not otherwise requesting ATC services, are free to avoid those areas and just up on their local field's traffic frequency or tower frequency if applicable. In busy areas like that, ATC clearance is required to enter the Bravo airspace itself, so if you need in there because your airport is there, you'll be getting sequenced by approach control. There are cut-outs and shelves of the Class Bravo airspace that allow smaller airplanes to stay out of it for the most part. Your float planes and other low flying stuff probably tends to steer clear of the busier airspace above them. Those lower areas can get plenty busy themselves, so people have to be careful to look out for other traffic themselves.

There's a method to the madness. Paine field (PAE - I think that's what you call Everette right?) is actually under the Seattle Bravo airspace itself, so aircraft might contact the tower their directly to get in and out. The tower would need to sequence those aircraft with arrivals that Seattle approach sends them. It's all agreed upon between facilities by documents called Letters of Agreement (LOAs).

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 7, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powercube posted:

When did those morons at Flickr decide to get rid of the BBcode option?!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Flew into SFO this evening, and caught N440QX coming in on a parallel runway. Surprisingly I think this is the first parallel landing I've seen from the air.

(Sorry for the lovely instagram, but not really)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Linedance posted:

How does Seattle area ATC deal with all the traffic with so many airports in such close proximity, and such a vast range of aircraft types landing (floats on the lake, light aircraft all over, biz jets, flight test aircraft from Boeing, military, and all the commercial traffic at SeaTac)?

I fly for an airline out of Seattle, and it's basically down to coordination between the controllers at Boeing Field and SEA for the most part. Generally, traffic going into Boeing field is kept below aircraft heading to SEA when they're landing south (the departure paths are just a matter of climbing traffic until they can be turned the right direction). When SEA is landing north, the procedures change somewhat (since the departure paths from the airports cross, but there's less issue with arrivals), but it generally works out pretty well. Paine is far enough north that traffic there doesn't interfere too much with SeaTac traffic, and the fact that it's not super busy makes life a bit easier as well.

Smaller aircraft actually have an east-west VFR corridor that crosses directly over SeaTac at about 2000ft, which generally keeps them clear of the arriving and departing SeaTac traffic, and since the controllers are talking to everyone in the airspace, everything generally works out fairly well.

When the weather gets bad, things can get a little trickier, since several of the approach procedures into Seatac and Boeing field do cross pretty close to each other (especially landing south), but that's generally handled by the controllers assigning everyone airspeeds that maintain the correct sequencing and separation.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Flew into SFO this evening, and caught N440QX coming in on a parallel runway. Surprisingly I think this is the first parallel landing I've seen from the air.

(Sorry for the lovely instagram, but not really)

Pretty much the only good thing about always flying through ATL is you'll get to watch parallel landings out of your window about a third of the time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Speaking of Seattle, here's an approach controller working Seattle-Tacoma International Airport's Final. You can see the other aircraft not being worked by this guy going into other airports (720P res available for clearer text):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zvlzwMtjdQ

Since this is a radar/radio recording obtained from the FAA, it begins with a rarely heard position relief briefing, where one controller takes over the position from one already working it, to give that person a break.

The airplanes with an "F" position symbol (the single letter icon attached to the leader line that connects the aircraft's name with its target) are Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) arrivals (F is for Final most likely).

Y are departures off SEA.
E are satellite arrivals of some sort (East Satellite?). At the start of the video "AMF1981" has "B06" in their data block and is landing Boeing Field (BFI, just north of SEA). Their datablock changes after being handed off to the D position to "BVA" which I'm guessing indicates "Boeing Field, Visual Approach." Notice how he's kept under the SEA final when crossing over from east to west.

The yellow tags with 1200 are VFR aircraft not receiving ATC services.

C tags are aircraft that have been handed off to Seattle Center for their en route climb.

B tags are VFR aircraft being handled by Boeing Field Tower maybe, or maybe Bravo Transition aircraft? At 12 minutes in, "APC18" comes in from the southeast, cuts through SEA's central airspace area, and terminates at Boeing Field. It goes right through the final much more closely than an IFR aircraft would normally be allowed, so maybe he was doing a VFR transition through the airspace and B is the sector/position that handles that.

At 15 min or so, CFS7657 has "VAL" in their data block. Assuming this is "Visual Approach Runway 16L." (everyone else is doing the ILS Runway 16C approach, which has step down altitude restrictions to stay out of Boeing Field's way).

General information for this video. The aircraft data tags contain the aircraft callsign on the first line. The second line "time shares" with two piece of information. When two sets of numbers are showing, the left hand 3 digit number is the altitude in hundreds (070=7000ft, 008=800 ft). The right hand 2 digit number is the aircraft's ground speed in knots (20=200knots).

The second line changes every few seconds to display the scratchpad and aircraft type. The scratchpad is a 3 character box where controllers can type in things to let others know what that airplane is doing. SEA means the aircraft is landing SEA. BFI means it's landing Boeing Field. Facilities will use many contractions to squeeze approach or other information into that 3 character slot. Not shown is a secondary scratchpad that can also be used for an additional 3 characters, and then time shares with the primary scratchpad.

The aircraft type is a 4 character aircraft ID. You can google any of them you don't recognize but a lot of the times they're obvious. DH8B is a DeHavilland Dash 8, B733 is a Boeing 737-300 etc.

Airline codes can be looked up here but here's what he's calling the most common ones on the screen plus ones I recognize:

ASA = Alaska (Alaska Airlines)
AMF = Amflight (Ameriflight)
CFS = Empire Air (Empire Airlines)
QXE = Horizon Air (Horizon Airlines)
UAL = United (United Airlines)
SKW = Skywest (SkyWest Airlines)
SWA = Southwest (Southwest Airlines)
AIP = Alpine Air (Alpine Air Express)
OPT = Options (Flight Options)
EJA = Exec Jet (NetJets)

The underlying symbology on the screen is called the radar map. The rings are 5 mile range rings sometimes used to help visualize the amount of space between airplanes. As the airplanes line up on final, notice the vertical tick marks they fly over. Each dash and each space is 1 mile. The short horizontal lines crossing final every few miles are intersections on the approach usually tied to altitude restrictions. They're given names (the controller repeatedly tells people to maintain an altitude until "MAGNUM"/MGNUM which is out about 10 miles from the runway edge).

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 7, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Breaking news from CNN:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I bet my car would have similar trouble maintaining speed on the highway when fuel tanks are empty as well. Recall pending?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Breaking news from CNN:

If only there were something we could do about that....like not run the plane out of fuel...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phanatic posted:

Breaking news from CNN:

They have fantastic tickers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jesus christ. CNN used to be this:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

I always assumed that LockMart was an insider's derogatory term conflating Lockheed with Wal-Mart (or K-Mart)

Just learned that LockMart also is a straightforward shortening of Lockheed-Martin

I feel dumb now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Breakfast All Day posted:

Pretty much the only good thing about always flying through ATL is you'll get to watch parallel landings out of your window about a third of the time.

ATL is without a doubt the best designed hub in the US, which is sort of like being the world's fastest turtle.