Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zorak posted:

Isn't the source material shoujo? Are they moving the audience or something with the adaptation?

I don't normally read shoujo romance manga, but from what I've seen, a lot of them have at least one attempted rape scene (usually used as a plot device for the boyfriend to save the day or whatever). Even something as tame as Ouran High School Host Club has a scene explicitly referencing rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ulta posted:

At one point two characters make a joke about raping a girl, the gist of which is "We need to rape this girl because that is what the viewers want"
I took that as a swipe at other manga/anime that would actually have that scene rather than an indication of where this show is actually going. I quite liked the rest of the episode. Nike seems like an interesting character and I usually enjoy odd-couple stuff if it's done well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I took that as a swipe at other manga/anime that would actually have that scene rather than an indication of where this show is actually going. I quite liked the rest of the episode. Nike seems like an interesting character and I usually enjoy odd-couple stuff if it's done well.

Yeah, it was a pretty good first episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Thoom posted:

It's pretty much the main character's gimmick forever. He makes detailed notes on his opponents' strengths, weaknesses, and plays and uses those notes to strategize. Not being a tennis person, I have no idea whether his strategies are legit or not, but at least they're not ~~magic tennis powers~~ like most sports anime.

I didn't mean that people don't strategize in that way; the higher the level you play at, the more aware you have to be of your opponents strengths/weaknesses. But what he had looked didn't look like a player analysis. More like notes on types of shots and maybe techniques.

I have no idea what the words say, but the images look various types of shots and how the balls bounce. From left to right:
Groundstroke, Topspin Groundstroke, Drop Shot/???, Slice, Side-spin Slice, Lob, Approach Shot. (mostly cross-court, for some reason)

You generally don't need to memorize what they are or how they work since you pick that up from experience and training, but it seems like he's able to hit any shot without a lot of experience. I find that weird since it's pretty hard to connect a type of shot with how it feels to hit it. If you don't have the muscle memory to understand the act of hitting a particular shot, it ain't gonna work. Maybe his gimmick is that he's able to develop that muscle memory really quickly in the same way he quickly understands and organizes things he learns in school: through sheer concentrated effort.

But even if that's his gimmick, to be able to compete in a tournament at a high enough level where your match gets a personal ref after playing for only a year is loving absurd. Unless you're some kind of tennis prodigy, that should take at least a few years. Buuut this is still a shounen sports anime at the end of the day, so I can't really expect the characters to be normal human beings.

With how much I :spergin: just now, I should probably make a thread for this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For the record on The World is Still Beautiful: It's bumbling kidnappers catching the wrong character, realizing they hosed up, and then they discuss what to do with her. "Having our way with her" comes up and they make a dumb meta joke about how this means they can add service shots for the male viewers of the audience. And then minor character gets saved! There's also a rapey element to the rest of the episode, as it's naive princess alone in dangerous city type stuff.

It's not really that big of a deal.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Studio Trigger is in some way working on the upcoming anime adaptation of Ninja Slayer: Karate Pistol Fist Suicide, which is a light novel series written by "Bradley Bond and Philip Ninj@ Morzez" that's a Japanese take on the American take on Japanese sci-fi and martial arts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One Week Friends is pretty much the anime version of 50 First Dates with anything connected to Adam Sandler excised and purged.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Studio Trigger is in some way working on the upcoming anime adaptation of Ninja Slayer: Karate Pistol Fist Suicide, which is a light novel series written by "Bradley Bond and Philip Ninj@ Morzez" that's a Japanese take on the American take on Japanese sci-fi and martial arts.

Wow, that actually sounds cool. Like a Platinum game.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

ViggyNash posted:

Maybe his gimmick is that he's able to develop that muscle memory really quickly in the same way he quickly understands and organizes things he learns in school: through sheer concentrated effort.

There's more to it than that, but I don't know much about tennis. Just watch (or read if you're into it).

Sperging about things you care about is pretty much the internet, so don't worry about it.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't mean that people don't strategize in that way; the higher the level you play at, the more aware you have to be of your opponents strengths/weaknesses. But what he had looked didn't look like a player analysis. More like notes on types of shots and maybe techniques.

It's notes on types of shots and techniques his opponent specializes in. Overly detailed notes are kind of his thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Autonomous Monster posted:

No. Remove the horrible incest poo poo and what you are left with is yet another magical high school anime with a bland-beyond-belief protagonist who manages to be simultaneously the plucky, underrated underdog and the hyper-competent prodigy, and a supporting cast constructed with a checklist and a careful eye to removing anything of interest or substance. Oh, yes, and if I'm remembering correctly, a whole load of natwank. And then it, by some magic I do not fully understand, takes this poo poo sandwich of a premise and makes it even more obnoxious. There is not a single element of this whole thing which is not a thin streak of diarrhoea. :argh:

Phew. Okay, rant over.

I don't know what it is about Mahouka that makes me really loving mad about anime, but I am real loving mad about anime. :smith:

See, I could see the appeal of SAO, it had a strong first couple of episodes. I can understand it getting popular over in the west. Mahouka is no just boring, but also puts the shameless power fantasy and the sister fetishising right up front and centre. It's going to loving bomb over here no matter what this mysterious western fanbase says.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eeevil posted:

It's notes on types of shots and techniques his opponent specializes in. Overly detailed notes are kind of his thing.

So it is a player analysis then. Still absurdly superfluously detailed, but yea its his thing. Obsessive documentation is his shounen superpower.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

ViggyNash posted:

So it is a player analysis then. Still absurdly superfluously detailed, but yea its his thing. Obsessive documentation is his shounen superpower.

He also has (mild spoilers, guessing it shows up in an episode or two) incredible vision and reaction time

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Devil Tesla posted:

For the record on The World is Still Beautiful: It's bumbling kidnappers catching the wrong character, realizing they hosed up, and then they discuss what to do with her. "Having our way with her" comes up and they make a dumb meta joke about how this means they can add service shots for the male viewers of the audience. And then minor character gets saved! There's also a rapey element to the rest of the episode, as it's naive princess alone in dangerous city type stuff.

It's not really that big of a deal.

On the other hand, she proves she can control the air itself well enough to have it snap off a metal knife at the hilt without hurting the person holding it. I can't begin to imagine all the ways she could use that offensively, so I can completely buy that no one was concerned about her safety alone in a strange and dangerous city.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Strange Quark posted:

I don't normally read shoujo romance manga, but from what I've seen, a lot of them have at least one attempted rape scene (usually used as a plot device for the boyfriend to save the day or whatever). Even something as tame as Ouran High School Host Club has a scene explicitly referencing rape.
I know that My Little Monster has multiple scenes where the boyfriend pulls the girlfriend into an alley, covers her mouth and threatens to rape her and then just inexplicably drops it. The actual series itself is so benign in content that it really stuck out there as weird.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

jackofarcades posted:

He also has (mild spoilers, guessing it shows up in an episode or two) incredible vision and reaction time

I really thought you were maybe going to say he has autism and/or OCD.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

XboxPants posted:

I really thought you were maybe going to say he has autism and/or OCD.

Apparently he does!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
First episode of Haikyuu is pretty much perfect. Gave me the fuzzies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zorak posted:

Isn't the source material shoujo? Are they moving the audience or something with the adaptation?

That's the joke. It's a shoujo story but they're trying to attract male viewers as well (which is probably true). I wouldn't be surprised if the director was literally told to add scenes that male viewers would like, so he made a joke about it. While also adding them, ie: the random swimsuit shots.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I know that My Little Monster has multiple scenes where the boyfriend pulls the girlfriend into an alley, covers her mouth and threatens to rape her and then just inexplicably drops it. The actual series itself is so benign in content that it really stuck out there as weird.

It had one. Unless the manga had more, it was one. I am not defending the scene, as it was completely tasteless, but the show didn't repeat that a lot, which made it really stick out to others because it's the only time it went off the rails like that.

As far as this The World is Still Beautiful goes, the scene is completely fine and people need to seriously calm the gently caress down. The show isn't "rapey" at all and it seems like a ton of people are forgetting that the scene ends with the two twirling mustache type villains getting their rear end kicked by the Nike. I saw it as a case of female empowerment as she defeats what the male audience would want. If this was like other lovely shoujo stuff the girl would have been rescued by some handsome dude and she would have swooned all over that. If you want an example of a really lovely shoujo doing this, go read Hot Gimmick! Now that's a manga full of rape situations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I feel like there's some law requiring goons to overreact badly to anything remotely sexual in nature.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I don't think it's that unreasonable to be made uncomfortable by a show joking about rape, however the scene turned out.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Blhue posted:

I feel like there's some law requiring goons to overreact badly to anything remotely sexual in nature.

Goons are very defensive about things that they like. As for me, I haven't watched whatever this thing is, I'll catch up on everything next week and if there's anything super badass renew my Crunchyroll subscription.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Goons are very defensive about things that they like. As for me, I haven't watched whatever this thing is, I'll catch up on everything next week and if there's anything super badass renew my Crunchyroll subscription.

At the least Mushi-shi and Jojo are on Crunchyroll, what more reason do you need?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Blhue posted:

Many goons, like myself, following the indie game scene, where the depiction of rape and sexual violence and how and where it's appropriate (if at all) is a current hot topic. I don't want to knock anime, but its pretty easy to say that the anime scene isn't quite at the same level and is still asking "Why is it bad to sexualize your 13 year old sister". That's the nature of the medium, as there isn't an indie scene (as far as I know, I'm a relative newcomer). It's ok to like things that have problematic elements, as long as you can acknowledge those elements, point them out, and still remain comfortable. This is also not to say indie games are better than anime, there are some real poo poo parts of that community too.

The World is Still Beautiful had a scene in it that made me feel uncomfortable and I felt that needed to be acknowledged in any review I would make. If there is another scene next episode, I'll stop watching, but as of now I'm still tentatively in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I forgot about another hilarious aspect of mahouka. You know that creepy and overly detailed speech the ninja made about the sister? That is how the ln's describe female characters whenever they appear. Most of the cast is female, and as such these masturbatory descriptions of girls easily take up more space than the masturbatory technobabble and masturbatory nationalism combined.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eeevil posted:

I don't think it's that unreasonable to be made uncomfortable by a show joking about rape, however the scene turned out.
I think that regardless of where people stand on it (and it's pretty obvious where I stand on it), the fact remains that it was extremely random and out of place. The show is light fluff. Imagine if Tonari no Seki-kun had a scene like that, it would be just as weird. It definitely happened more than once, though, but bear in mind I'm referring to the anime. The manga may be different.

e: I don't think he said the same line both times but he definitely yoinked her into an alley and covered her mouth in multiple scenes. It was just as odd and out of place the second time.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 7, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Blhue posted:

People have different levels of sensitivity towards this sort of thing, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a fair criticism; whether it is something you care about is more up to your own personal sensibilities one way or the other. To each their own, as the saying goes.

I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment, but it does sound kind of weird that they're taking a shoujo thing for girls and attempting to cater to an older male audience with it. Even ignoring the content itself, it's kind of a bizarre decision; I suppose they're trying to add an additional audience to it (maybe tied to the time block they secured? :iiam: ), but that just makes me wonder why they didn't just adapt something that met their time slot / demographics more appropriately? Retrofitting seems... self defeating?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Maybe they want to sell both more manga volumes and blurays.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Maybe they want to sell both more manga volumes and blurays.

I'm guessing the end result is more likely that they're going to accomplish neither.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It's really hard to tell what's going on with that series. Maybe ep 2 will shed some light on it but there were moments that mismatched the tone you'd expect the characters and setting to be in, including but not limited to the weird self-aware-yet-went-through-with-it contrived damsel saving moment. Maybe they'll go more toward the orignal material, or maybe it'll be some kind of frankenstein that comes out average by being no one good/bad thing.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 7, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing! Trigger please keep saving anime.

Also, that amnesia thing on One Week Friends is just too oddly specific. I can understand having a short-term memory moving window of one week, but having it reset every Monday and only affecting your memories of friends is so contrived that it's impossible to take it seriously.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rexides posted:

Also, that amnesia thing on One Week Friends is just too oddly specific. I can understand having a short-term memory moving window of one week, but having it reset every Monday and only affecting your memories of friends is so contrived that it's impossible to take it seriously.
Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous as well. It's only that specific so she can keep going to school, I guess. Also so the protagonist can be remembered when she sees him like family, since they're the exception to the rule.

The art style irritated me as well - I can understand blushing when you're actually embarrassed or flushed, but every character having feverish rosy cheeks constantly was a bit off-putting.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Rexides posted:

Well, that and the fact that it's basically the plot of an Adam Sandler movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One Week Friends was pretty cute, gonna stick with it for a while at least.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou Was suddenly, not terrible, with really really REALLY pretty animation. And the roomie is actually a masochist.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Kawaii Complex is freaking gorgeous. I didn't like much of the humor for most of the episode, but I liked the later parts when the characters started playing off each other a bit. If the show continues more like the latter half, I'll probably stick with it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I made a thread for the new sports shows, particularly Haikyu!!, Baby Steps, and Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I watched the first episode of that pervert house anime and I was amazed that the male lead creeped me out more then the dedicated pervert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

gobbledygoat posted:

I watched the first episode of that pervert house anime and I was amazed that the male lead creeped me out more then the dedicated pervert.

I had the same impression. At least the masochist guy is honest with himself about his weirdness. Usa is a big ball of "nice guy" and stalker all rolled into one, and looks down on everyone else for being weird. Bleh.

• Locked thread