Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I wanted to watch the infamous gimmicks countdown because I missed it earlier, but it's not up on VOD yet. :saddowns:

At least I got to see Doink dump a bucket of popcorn on Bobby Heenan on some old episode of RAW on the live stream, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Is there a device considered to be the "best" for watching the network? Roku, appletv, something else? Considering picking something up as a dedicated device for network viewing. I have an AppleTV but it crapped the bed (dog ate it...don't ask) so I was wondering if it's worth buying something different or if another AppleTV is fine.

I think most problems stem from internet connections. Any device over WiFi in a room surrounded by brick is never going to stream as well as a hard wired connection.

I still say my computer looks the best because of that.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think the iPad interface is the best so if the Apple TV app is anything like that, then great.

Cultlife
Jan 1, 2012
Just signed up for the network after being impressed with its performance watching 'Mania on it with friends last night.

Thought I'd probably skip the live stream and head to the archives, but it actually hooked me in. I've been meaning to go out for half an hour...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I had to refresh my stream 3 or so times, but other than that it was super sharp and perfect. Very impressed with the WWE Network's performance, all things considered.

Just curious, do you use Hola or some other service? What ISP are you with?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just curious, do you use Hola or some other service? What ISP are you with?

I pay for Unblock US, and I am on TekSavvy cable. I don't know exactly which package I'm on, but it's one of the middle ones I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I watched on my wired AppleTV on 50 MBPS cable without a hitch except for some buffering during the preshow and maybe 10 seconds where the quality went to poo poo during the main show (but still played). I'm definitely not complaining.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I pay for Unblock US, and I am on TekSavvy cable. I don't know exactly which package I'm on, but it's one of the middle ones I think.

Hm, maybe I'll finally look into Unblock then. I'm on TS's DSL and it's usually okay so I think maybe Hola was the issue here. Thanks!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was on PC on 12 Mbps US cable and had to refresh twice. Well worth the price even if all we got was the current PPVs.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
The network locked up my ps3 five times before I gave up and ordered it on ppv. I was trying to watch it from the beginning after it was in progress so that may have been the issue. Really disappointing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hm, maybe I'll finally look into Unblock then. I'm on TS's DSL and it's usually okay so I think maybe Hola was the issue here. Thanks!

I always had massive problems with TS DSL, I dunno if it was my router or what. I couldn't even reliably watch Youtube. Once I upgraded to cable, everything was amazing and I never looked back.

Unblock is really cool if you have a bunch of devices that you want able to access blocked content. Like, I can watch the Network on my phone, my iPad, my wife can check out Pandora on her laptop, whatever. It's nice to just be able to set it at router level and then not worry about it ever again.

They have a free trial, so yeah check it out [/plug]

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

As far as best device, I've tried the network on the iPhone, PS3, PS4, PC, a Dell Android tablet, and Roku 3. Personally I got the most stable performance on the Roku with the display set to 720p. This was over WiFi as well, so it probably could have been stable at 1080p if I had an extra port on my router.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WWE put out a PR about 2 hours ago.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140407-904877.html
WWE(R) Network on Track to 1 Million Subscribers

quote:

WWE (NYSE:WWE) today announced that WWE Network has 667,287(1) subscribers and is well on its way to reaching its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014 just 42 days after launching in the U.S., making it the fastest-growing digital subscription service. This announcement comes following a historic WrestleMania(R) 30, which aired live on WWE Network as well as on pay-per-view through satellite and cable providers from a sold-out Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

WWE Network launched on February 24 in the U.S. and will be rolled out in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics in late 2014/early 2015.

WWE Network is the first 24/7 streaming network that provides access to live and scheduled programming, including all 12 live pay-per-view events, as well as the most comprehensive video-on-demand library. Available for only $9.99 a month -- with a six month commitment -- fans can subscribe to WWE Network at WWE.com. WWE Network is available on connected devices including Apple TV, Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation(R) 3, Sony PlayStation(R) 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network is also available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon's Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

(1) Current subscriber number does not account for potential failures to comply with subscription terms and six month commitment

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That is a very precise number of subscribers given, they must be pretty proud of those numbers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Astro7x posted:

That is a very precise number of subscribers given, they must be pretty proud of those numbers.

That's my thought too, even with the caveat (which makes sense to include).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

667k is lower than I'd be happy with, especially considering that's basically all the hardcores worldwide who've gotten in on it. I don't think they'll have 1m before the end of the year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

They're a publicly traded company. They really can't be giving vague ranges.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

njsykora posted:

667k is lower than I'd be happy with, especially considering that's basically all the hardcores worldwide who've gotten in on it. I don't think they'll have 1m before the end of the year.

Not that this is anything other than anecdotal, but I had some friends over the weekend who had fallen out of wrestling and one of the other guys in our group fired up the network on Saturday night and the other 3-4 were blown away by the back content and said they were probably going to sign up if the stream went well at the Wrestlemania party they went to last night. Again, not really indicative of anything as a whole, but it was interesting to me nonetheless.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Stream froze for me ONCE, right before the copyright notice. Flawless after that. The Network is awesome.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is the 1M target for domestic subscribers only or worldwide? Once they launch this thing to Canada and elsewhere it's gonna explode. There's still a bunch of international subscribers using VPN's (I'm one of them)) in that number but for people without the ability or inclination to use a VPN service that'll be pumped up a lot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is the 1M target for domestic subscribers only or worldwide? Once they launch this thing to Canada and elsewhere it's gonna explode. There's still a bunch of international subscribers using VPN's (I'm one of them)) in that number but for people without the ability or inclination to use a VPN service that'll be pumped up a lot.

It's 1 mil by the end of the year and AFAIK there's no other countries launching this until 2015 so I assume that's a domestic prediction. I think internationally it will do well.

It's not a BAD number but it's not really a good one either. The positive news is that the stream worked perfectly and the show was great, so hopefully some casuals watching with friends are inclined to buy on the heels of the great show and great stream and hopefully those holding out to see how the stream went finally buy in.

e: the good news is that entertainment and non-wrestling sports industry people are touting the subscriber reveal as good news so if there are casuals who were pretty well removed from the WWE and Observer projections, they're being fed that this was quite an initial success.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 7, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's not a BAD number but it's not really a good one either. The positive news is that the stream worked perfectly and the show was great, so hopefully some casuals watching with friends are inclined to buy on the heels of the great show and great stream and hopefully those holding out to see how the stream went finally buy in.

Yeah I agree. If it were me, and I didn't trust the stream going into Mania (going the traditional PPV route instead), I'd probably have waited until now to subscribe to get my full money's worth.

In all honesty though, how can you not have gotten at least $60 worth of content in this month alone? All the Axxess stuff, the Hall of Fame, and then the PPV itself are easily worth what you'd normally pay for Mania, and you still get five more PPVs and whatever other content they add in that time.

e: my ISP just contacted me about a wire that was damaged by water outside my house so I'm sure that was the cause of my issue. Frankly the fact that Mania streamed at all over the network is a testament to its quality.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 7, 2014

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

don't know what you guys are talking about that's a good number (42 days!!) and i really doubt they won't make 1 mil.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I talked about starting a semi-regular "let's watch the network!" thing. You guys want to do this Saturday evening ET?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

WeaponX posted:

don't know what you guys are talking about that's a good number (42 days!!) and i really doubt they won't make 1 mil.

Well you could argue that Mania is the biggest draw for subs and after that the network isn't as attractive for the casual fan, but this is true and it's only been in the past 2 weeks or so that they've got their poo poo together with apps and the like. Plus, LEGENDS HOUSE is coming, so all the buys will be immminent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I agree. If it were me, and I didn't trust the stream going into Mania (going the traditional PPV route instead), I'd probably have waited until now to subscribe to get my full money's worth.

In all honesty though, how can you not have gotten at least $60 worth of content in this month alone? All the Axxess stuff, the Hall of Fame, and then the PPV itself are easily worth what you'd normally pay for Mania, and you still get five more PPVs and whatever other content they add in that time.

I think there's a good number of people who probably ordered on PPV with the network decision hinging upon the stream's success, but I doubt it's a significant number in any way.

The number is a bit of a disappointment no matter how you look at it, but the big thing is that nobody in that 670k+ was given any reason to not continue using the service. Great stream, great event, great weekend of content. It did a tremendous job making fans a part of Mania weekend even if they couldn't be there.

They've done everything they can possibly do to make this a resounding success and that's all you can really hope for as a hardcore fan. If the demand isn't there, it isn't there. If they raise it to $12.99 or 14.99 per-month, I'd still pay. They've done nothing but deliver me great content in great quality since day one and the one real big test was passed with near perfection.

At this point, it's in the hands of the consumer and I just hope it can succeed the way it deserves to because this has really been loving outstanding.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The number they have already is great, better than I expected, but I'm not sure what they can do in the next 5 months to not lose some of those initial subscriptions, or what they have in store for the next 8 to gain another 300,000+.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oldskool posted:

The number they have already is great, better than I expected, but I'm not sure what they can do in the next 5 months to not lose some of those initial subscriptions, or what they have in store for the next 8 to gain another 300,000+.

Just keep plugging it honestly. If they've done a poor job at anything, it's communicating to people who don't watch weekly that it's not an actual television channel.

If it's anything like Netflix, word of mouth is going to be huge for long term growth and success. I can't even begin to count the number of people I know who were reluctant to use Netflix because they didn't understand or trust streaming services who now love it. I think Netflix's success has curbed some of that doubt, but I think the reluctance lingers from service-to-service and this one having the live stream tied in as such a big part probably adds to the reluctance and confusion for some.

They've done almost everything correctly. Just have to hope it grows organically by continuing to put out a top-notch product.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well, apparently people inside the company were expecting better as well

quote:

The announcement this morning of only 667,287 subscribers to the WWE Network has led to massive stock selling. As of this moment, the stock has dropped $6.07 to $21.97 per share.

The number shocked people internally who were led to believe the network was doing far better than that. The number had been kept secretive from almost everyone, but at business meetings over the weekend with companies they work with, they pushed the Monday announcement hard and in a positive manner.

that said, I can pretty easily see them breaking 1mil by the end of the year, even not accounting for international sales.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Is there a device considered to be the "best" for watching the network? Roku, appletv, something else? Considering picking something up as a dedicated device for network viewing. I have an AppleTV but it crapped the bed (dog ate it...don't ask) so I was wondering if it's worth buying something different or if another AppleTV is fine.
Roku and Apple TV have a somewhat sterile, but very usable user interface.

PS3 has a more stylized interface that incorporates things like the "milestone" chapter markers, so it's easy to find your way through a PPV. It's weird with the PPV organization however, in that it groups PPVs alphabetically rather than letting you navigate through the years. Also the interface is optimized for a PS3 controller, so if you're working with some kind of universal remote it can be awkward to control.

The website interface is probably great if you have some sort of media PC setup in your living room. WWE clearly has the most stylistic control over everything there.

Personally I stick to Apple TV just because it's the type of device that is designed to be left running all the time, as opposed to the PS3 with its moving parts. Seems the best option if you're gonna stream stuff for hours on end, although I do miss those chapter milestones that PS3 has.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

I talked about starting a semi-regular "let's watch the network!" thing. You guys want to do this Saturday evening ET?

If you're not watching the network at all times 24/7 then lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is that really a bad number? I'd think that 667K Subscribers in the US is a GREAT number! Keep in mind that Wrestlemania 29 did 1,048,000 worldwide, which breaks down to 650K domestic and 398K overseas.

1 month into the network, and they had more people watching Wrestlemania on the network in the US than they did last year on Cable/Satellite. Plus there are still PPV buys on Cable/Satellite in the states + worldwide.

When Hulu Plus came out, it took approximately 6 months for them to reach 500,000 subscribers, now the recently passed 5 Million subscribers this past December.

The first game on MLB.TV was watched by 30,000 subscribers nearly 12 years ago in 2002. 10 years later they had over 3.7 million subscribers.

I feel like they are very much one track to reach their 1 million goal by the end of the year.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fag Boy Jim posted:

well, apparently people inside the company were expecting better as well

that said, I can pretty easily see them breaking 1mil by the end of the year, even not accounting for international sales.

Well so much for me thinking it was good
Still I think they'll more than likely hit the break even point. I do wonder if they may do a third free trial?

That said WWE stock was apparently highly overvalued so the drop may in part be explained by that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Minidust posted:

PS3 has a more stylized interface that incorporates things like the "milestone" chapter markers, so it's easy to find your way through a PPV. It's weird with the PPV organization however, in that it groups PPVs alphabetically rather than letting you navigate through the years. Also the interface is optimized for a PS3 controller, so if you're working with some kind of universal remote it can be awkward to control.

PS3 does have chronological sorting for WCW and ECW stuff if you go to the WCW and ECW PPVs categories in the Vault section. No WWE chronological sorting though.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Blunders Countdown was worth $60 by itself.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They still have Summerslam and the Rumble (kinda) to push them to 1m subs before the next mania anyway, it should be fine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
International subscribers are apparently coming soon, and that should probably see them over 1 mil by the end of the year. I think good word-of-mouth from WM going really well is going to help them out a ton as well.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When we get a number on the international PPV buys for Mania it should give us a rough idea of the amount of intnational people who are just using the network anyway

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Is that really a bad number? I'd think that 667K Subscribers in the US is a GREAT number! Keep in mind that Wrestlemania 29 did 1,048,000 worldwide, which breaks down to 650K domestic and 398K overseas.

1 month into the network, and they had more people watching Wrestlemania on the network in the US than they did last year on Cable/Satellite. Plus there are still PPV buys on Cable/Satellite in the states + worldwide.

When Hulu Plus came out, it took approximately 6 months for them to reach 500,000 subscribers, now the recently passed 5 Million subscribers this past December.

The first game on MLB.TV was watched by 30,000 subscribers nearly 12 years ago in 2002. 10 years later they had over 3.7 million subscribers.

I feel like they are very much one track to reach their 1 million goal by the end of the year.

Well it depends. If that number includes many of the people who shell out for all 12 PPVs (it probably does) then it's not a good sign because they're basically paying $10 instead of $50 every month and you're not getting enough new people to make up the difference.

It's going to be a matter of patience but overall, it's just a fine number right now. Not great, not terrible. It's fine. It's workable if you can keep those people there. The key is going to be what the number is at the time of the next shareholders meeting because if the quality of the stream for Mania didn't get a decent uptick in subscribers, I'm not sure that's ever going to come, at least not in the near future.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

International subscribers are apparently coming soon, and that should probably see them over 1 mil by the end of the year. I think good word-of-mouth from WM going really well is going to help them out a ton as well.

That good word of mouth will almost certainly get them a shitload of subs next year; a lot of people held off because they didn't trust the Network to hold up under stress (especially after lat year's streaming debacle) so I think they'll beat whatever goal they set for WM31 easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
Hmm, did I miss an airing of Best of Smackdown? They have the show with the Big Show vs Lesnar match where the superplex destroys the ring. Episode 199 - June 11, 2003.